Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

madattheinternet posted:

Awesome! If you get the motor cranking, catching and eventually starting will you take a victory lap around the neighborhood or will you park and pull it?

Once the brakes are done, I'll take a victory lap for sure.

Edit: Image added

After cleaning a bit, and the engine turns via breaker bar. Still haven't put in the radiator/expansion tank.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Hell yeah, if it's got compression then it will run! It would be nice to drive it for some inspiration before you rebuild it. Also you could always tell a story about how you got an XKE for next to nothing and got it running running and driving with some diesel and sweat.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Have fun with those carbs :unsmigghh:

Actually if its been sitting that long those jet tubes will break, and your car will burn.

Just like what happened after I sold the Volvo :smith:

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 2, 2013

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Have fun with those carbs :unsmigghh:

Actually if its been sitting that long those jet tubes will break, and your car will burn.

Just like what happened after I sold the Volvo :smith:

Rebuilding the carbs before I try and run it. That's this weekend.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Needs three Webers hanging off the side.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What, and lose out on the class and charm of the finely tuned British motoring experience while you're unpacking the picnic lunch you packed for yourself and the lady in the most scenic of breakdown lanes available?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

What, and lose out on the class and charm of the finely tuned British motoring experience while you're unpacking the picnic lunch you packed for yourself and the lady in the most scenic of breakdown lanes available?

I see this gentleman hasnt driven a car with triple Webers before. My good sir, Webers are the finest Italian quality carburettors with much complexity and oh so many things to go wrong you will be enjoying MORE picnics by the motorway, that is if the car starts at all!

So why should one use a Weber on a Jaguar you ask? Well when they do run, the harmonics and induction noise of Webers produce a aprodisiadc so powerful that the no how proper and chaiste your English lady, the act of acceleration will have her so wet she'll have your tweed trousers off faster than a 2 dollar hooker in a back alley.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Citycop posted:

Hell yeah, if it's got compression then it will run! It would be nice to drive it for some inspiration before you rebuild it. Also you could always tell a story about how you got an XKE for next to nothing and got it running running and driving with some diesel and sweat.

Far from diesel and sweat. Replaced all the clutch hydraulics (it was frozen), replaced/repaired all cooling devices (radiator, expansion tank, heater box, thermostat & housing), will have to replace the fuel tank, all the brakes need work and I'm sure I'll run into more before it's driveable without a rebuild.

Edit:
Radiator, all hoses, and expansion tank are now in place.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 2, 2013

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Way2slow posted:

Far from diesel and sweat. Replaced all the clutch hydraulics (it was frozen), replaced/repaired all cooling devices (radiator, expansion tank, heater box, thermostat & housing), will have to replace the fuel tank, all the brakes need work and I'm sure I'll run into more before it's driveable without a rebuild.

Edit:
Radiator, all hoses, and expansion tank are now in place.

Putting the tank back in my '75 yota tomorrow and I have some hope that I may get it running for the first time by the end of the day. There's nothing like getting something running and driving it for the first time. I'm excited for you.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Carbs are out.
I think the British employ small gnomes to put those things in. Some bolts have almost no turn per movement of the wrench, and arms have to turn in some of the most uncomfortable positions. By contrast every GM vehicle I've worked on (Syclone, Typhoon, LS1 Camaro, LS2 GTO, Grand Prix GTP, Solstice) is a cakewalk. They may take awhile, but it's easy...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever I had to pull mine I'd break loose with the box end and use the open end to turn, seemed to help a little. Don't know how much worse clearance is with three.

Guffikins
Jul 4, 2004

On my TR7 you actually can't even get the box end over the nuts on the carbs, and you've only got enough room on the bottom nuts for 1/12th turns. Getting the carbs off of British cars is a terrible experience.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Guffikins posted:

On my TR7 you actually can't even get the box end over the nuts on the carbs, and you've only got enough room on the bottom nuts for 1/12th turns. Getting the carbs off of British cars is a terrible experience.

YES! You know!
The bottom middle was a complete pain in the rear end. You know the kind of bolt- the one that walks into the store, asks for a bunch of stuff, doesn't buy any of it, and makes you restock it all, while complaining the entire time. Yes, that type of bolt.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Those carbs are bonerific. Even if it will be impossible to daily drive.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Guffikins posted:

And here I was thinking that experience was unique to Minis, except the joy of FWD and everything behind the engine. I hated taking the SU's off.

Ever had the dubious joys of icing?

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
I watched that entire E-Type restore series that was linked. Very cool. It would of been better if they stuck to the restore instead of jumping to other cars though. I think if I had a choice between a split window Stingray or an E-Type I would go with the Jag. Has to be one of the most beautiful cars ever designed.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Why not remove the manifold and do it out of the car?
Then you can replace the manifold gasket and have one less thing to ruin your carb's day.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

mafoose posted:

Why not remove the manifold and do it out of the car?
Then you can replace the manifold gasket and have one less thing to ruin your carb's day.

This is exactly how I did my TR7. So easy.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

joat mon posted:

This is exactly how I did my TR7. So easy.

The way I do most repairs in my MGB is to cry into the footwell for a few hours and then somehow fix it with a fishhook, an ounce of pipe tobacco and a pair of silk ladies stockings.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Vindolanda posted:

The way I do most repairs in my MGB is to cry into the footwell for a few hours and then somehow fix it with a fishhook, an ounce of pipe tobacco and a pair of silk ladies stockings.

But what did you use on the car?

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

But what did you use on the car?

If you know anything about MGs, you know that the only way to keep them in pristine condition is to spend all your waking hours engaged in unimaginable perversions. What else would explain the majority of owners?

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Popped the pickup off the tank. It needs work, I'll probably just replace it.

30+ year gas right there.. Entire tank is rusted horribly.

Tank is stuck at the moment. The bolts that hold it in have a welded nut to the bottom of the mount. The nut broke off the weld, and it is unreachable by hand. It will have to be cut/drilled out.

Tomorrow is carb cleaning day!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Way2slow posted:

Carbs are out.
I think the British employ small gnomes to put those things in. Some bolts have almost no turn per movement of the wrench, and arms have to turn in some of the most uncomfortable positions. By contrast every GM vehicle I've worked on (Syclone, Typhoon, LS1 Camaro, LS2 GTO, Grand Prix GTP, Solstice) is a cakewalk. They may take awhile, but it's easy...

Most people who have old british cars with carbs have a selection of spanners and sockets which have been shortened/narrowed/customised to enable them to be used to get the carbs off ;) (i've only got 2 on mine though!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tank and anything in it 100% hosed buuuuuut that floor really is clean and rust free, you really did score with that car.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Cleaned up one carb, found out that the few o-rings/gaskets that I couldn't buy outside of the rebuild kit were toast. Had to buy rebuild kits, which will probably take a couple days to arrive. Decided to go to Grose style jets (balls?), as supposedly they reduce the amount of leaking the SU carbs are notorious for. Not only that, but the rubber diaphragm was behaving like plastic, so it needed to be replaced as well.

Put rags in the intake holes left by the carbs not being on, as they will obviously now be off for several days.

The one I did open up and clean did clean up nicely though!

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 5, 2013

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Tank is out, sliced the hell out of my finger.
Needs new tank, sump, fuel pickup etc.. Basically all tank equipment needs to be new.

8/7/2013:
Connected up heater bypass. Cooling system is now 100% capable of running, minus of course, the coolant in the system.
Fuel pump disconnected, lines were all blown clear. No major obstructions. Waiting on replacement fuel pump.
Since my onsite work got pushed back to Monday, will be cleaning and rebuilding the carbs Thursday, hoping fuel pump shows up Friday...if it does, I'm gonna try to fire it up once the carbs are on, coolant is in the system, and the fuel pump is on. Should try to grab a battery tomorrow.

8/9/2013:
Carbs rebuilt and on the intake manifold. Grabbed a battery. All lights work on the car, starter works, turn indicators work. Power goes to the coil, but nothing comes out. Soooo.. needs a new coil. Fuel pump didn't show up, probably won't be here until Monday/Tuesday, Tuesday is date for new coil. Will try to start again there.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 12, 2013

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

Most people who have old british cars with carbs have a selection of spanners and sockets which have been shortened/narrowed/customised to enable them to be used to get the carbs off ;) (i've only got 2 on mine though!)

Yep, got a set of Halfords Pro stubbies for mine :)

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Trying to press the nylon/plastic bushing into a the bracket at the firewall for throttle linkage, but it just doesn't want to go in. Would heating the bushing to make it more malleable be a good idea, or a bad one?
Edit:
Picture of rebuilt carbs on manifold!

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 12, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Way2slow posted:

Trying to press the nylon/plastic bushing into a the bracket at the firewall for throttle linkage, but it just doesn't want to go in. Would heating the bushing to make it more malleable be a good idea, or a bad one?

Can't comment on the specifics of this one but heating plastics and rubbers you run the risk of really loving things up. You could try chucking it in some just boiled water or something but I've only ever used that on rubber things like hoses. Nothing like dragging a pot of scalding hot water under a car with you to shove a hose in and do a superfast shove and swear session on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If you're shoving the bushing into a hole, I'd stick it in the freezer so it shrinks down, then quickly stick it through.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Way2slow posted:

Popped the pickup off the tank. It needs work, I'll probably just replace it.

Those kind of mushrooms are poisonous, I wouldn't eat tha... Oh wait nevermind.

Make sure to take video if you get it running.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Beautiful car. I've owned a relatively modern (Series III) XJ6 and have always wanted a Mk X or 420G. But then I realize that I like myself too much to do that.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Fucknag posted:

If you're shoving the bushing into a hole, I'd stick it in the freezer so it shrinks down, then quickly stick it through.

Yeah this is probably your best bet, maybe lube it up also.

I've used a propane torch on a stubborn intake tube to good effect, just gotta be quick about it.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Everybody knows your own labor is free :downs:

if you own a jag, you better hope this is unironically true.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

That's a good point, but you lose plasticity. Hmm.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Took the bracket and bushing down to a friend's house who works on old cars. Consensus was it was too big/wrong part, despite double checking the part number corresponded to what I got.
He fabbed up a nylon bushing, and we popped that in.
Reassembled the throttle linkage, and now we're rolling properly there.

Still waiting on fuel pump and coil.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Cat Terrist posted:

Tank and anything in it 100% hosed buuuuuut that floor really is clean and rust free, you really did score with that car.

That was the beautiful thing. Underneath that tank, I expected a bit of rust. There was none. It was perfect.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Well, the water pump is shot, that's causing the belt to scream.. but..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zsET6ZbfUA

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That poor belt. It sounds possessed.

But... :woop: I'm really happy to hear that this is moving along instead of becoming achingly beautiful yard art.

I'm assuming the water pump is a pretty generic/shared item and not an exotic and expensive one-model piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Mother of god,that belt noise is heinous. Congratulations on your first start!

• Locked thread