Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That poor belt. It sounds possessed.

But... :woop: I'm really happy to hear that this is moving along instead of becoming achingly beautiful yard art.

I'm assuming the water pump is a pretty generic/shared item and not an exotic and expensive one-model piece?

Water pump is used in all Jaguar 4.2L engines. Plenty available, none cheap as a regular water pump for an SBC, most sit around $180.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

For a guy named Way2slow that was pretty god drat quick! Congrats.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
What I could hear of the engine sounded pretty good. Grats!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It runs?!?!?!

The the more you post, the more amazed at how good the car is. I'd still say engine needs a rebuild to replace gaskets but eh, bloody thing runs. Congrats!

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
New waterpump hasn't shown, but decided to pressure test the system with a test kit.
Cap is designed for only 7psi, so that's all I ran it up to.
It holds the pressure. No leaks. Which means coolant is staying coolant, and theoretically the head gasket should be ok, provided it didn't fail in a way to create a reed valve that only allows pressure inside the cylinders out into the coolant jacket. There's no way to test for that without running it, obviously.

Sadly, work has me slated from Tuesday to the 30th in a different town, so no work will happen until I get back, and I'll be stuck in San Diego until the job is done.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Look, bro, we're all friends here. And as a bro to bro, I gotta say, you need to man the gently caress up and do the right thing. Replace that water pump with this.

I mean I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin', ya dig?

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Look, bro, we're all friends here. And as a bro to bro, I gotta say, you need to man the gently caress up and do the right thing. Replace that water pump with this.

As much as I'd love to, I'm going for as original as possible. Valuation and all. If I'm gonna put money from a house into it, it's gotta be somewhat of an investment.

Now, if I were to go out and buy a NOM C2 vette, that's a whole different ballgame.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Rebuild the original engine, make a bitchin' dining room table under glass, keep around 'just in case' :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Way2slow posted:

car

investment

You're so adorable. :allears:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

I can't wait until my MGB inevitably pops its engine - I want to stick a Jag straight-six in and do the MGC as it ought to have been.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Hey, if there's any car you could legitimately call an investment, I think an E-type would qualify.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

Hey, if there's any car you could legitimately call an investment, I think an E-type would qualify.

It's like a 401(k) except you have a random chance of it emptying itself out when you check your vested balance.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fucknag posted:

Especially a low-mile, rust-free one bought for a fraction of its current value. Even dumping a ton of money into this beautiful thing will be a financial good move.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Interestingly enough, I may be coming across a similar deal, only on a full series 1 with covered headlights. Apparently this area that the work is being performed there must have been a one-upmanship contest with these cars or something.

More on that when I return at the start of next month.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Way2slow posted:

Interestingly enough, I may be coming across a similar deal, only on a full series 1 with covered headlights. Apparently this area that the work is being performed there must have been a one-upmanship contest with these cars or something.

Dude, loving unfair. You can't hoard all of the reasonably priced, non-rustbucket E-types. Share the love.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You know, I've figured out that a Jeep Wrangler is pretty much like an emergency savings account because you can sell it for exactly the same amount or more than what you bought it for no matter how many miles you put on it :v:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Investment indeed.
$2500 purchase with the potential of being valued at $40-100K
Great find and nice to see you around again.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Putting my accountant hat on (Oh Gawd)..... actually this is one of the few times anyone can legitimatly say it. Unlike other cars it'll never go down in value and keeping it as unrestored as possible (Given it's actually in good condition) puts it's value up. As it stands a running unrestored XKE is worth 20K at least and one in good condition? Add another 30K. So there's easily 50K worth of car waiting to be unlocked. Maybe even more.

Even a full ground up 30 to 50K restoration would at worst break even. Keep the car for a few years and the numbers get better, I'm honestly surprised more arent going for 100K now. Wont be much longer before they do I think.

Way2slow posted:

Oh you utter lucky bastard. Not fair!

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Cat Terrist posted:

Putting my accountant hat on (Oh Gawd)..... actually this is one of the few times anyone can legitimatly say it. Unlike other cars it'll never go down in value and keeping it as unrestored as possible (Given it's actually in good condition) puts it's value up. As it stands a running unrestored XKE is worth 20K at least and one in good condition? Add another 30K. So there's easily 50K worth of car waiting to be unlocked. Maybe even more.

Even a full ground up 30 to 50K restoration would at worst break even. Keep the car for a few years and the numbers get better, I'm honestly surprised more arent going for 100K now. Wont be much longer before they do I think.

Oh you utter lucky bastard. Not fair!

Before we even got it off the trailer, some random guy in an Aston offered us 40K for it. Literally had done nothing to it, other than put it on the trailer..
Anyway, back to progress.
Waterpump is off, but was supposed to ship with a fitting that it did not ship with. Had to order the fitting, making placement of new pump today impossible.
That waterpump was shot, no question.

No progress on the other XK, as I've been gone and working 20-22 hour days (a whole 2 hours sleep/day) for an entire week really drains you. That nightmare is done now, and back to working on the car at my leisure.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I would have went straight to the bank with that offer.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Larrymer posted:

I would have went straight to the bank with that offer.

I'd have at least held out for 60

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Way2slow posted:

Before we even got it off the trailer, some random guy in an Aston offered us 40K for it. Literally had done nothing to it, other than put it on the trailer.

Someone coming up and offering you your budget plus what you are already in... it is King Raven, offering you one last chance to avoid going down the path of madness and death, or it is Coyote the Trickster, trying to turn you away from the way of glory. I am a weak man, and would slink away with my $40K having thrown in the trailer, and none would ever read my build thread. You are a man of whom even heroes will sing, in garages that smell of brake cleaner and warm beer, but will they sing of your victories, or of your foolishness...?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
That belt noise had me laughing through the whole video. What a fitting first start for an old Jag, coming back to life kicking and screaming.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just watched the video, the belt noise reminded me of when the next door neighbour's hen house would have a rat in it, and the chickens would cut sick like that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Someone coming up and offering you your budget plus what you are already in... it is King Raven, offering you one last chance to avoid going down the path of madness and death, or it is Coyote the Trickster, trying to turn you away from the way of glory. I am a weak man, and would slink away with my $40K having thrown in the trailer, and none would ever read my build thread. You are a man of whom even heroes will sing, in garages that smell of brake cleaner and warm beer, but will they sing of your victories, or of your foolishness...?

He just AI. Cutting and run is for others.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Terrist posted:

There's a point where it just turns into cutting though :emo:

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

There's a point where it just turns into cutting though :emo:

Funny you should say that. The water pump gasket is absolutely baked on there. Scrapers alone aren't working. Leaving shortly for parts to get creative.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

1st Edition ADandD posted:

It's not about money or glory. I always wanted to do this kind of resto, and now I have the time and the funds. I'm doing it while I still can. The longer you put something off, the easier it is to put off more.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

He owns an old Jag, he doesn't know the meaning of the word "run".

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:golfclap:

Beautiful cars these, yet another AI resto project I'll live vicariously (and freely) through.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Way2slow posted:

Funny you should say that. The water pump gasket is absolutely baked on there. Scrapers alone aren't working. Leaving shortly for parts to get creative.

Same problem shops have with modern liquid gasket. Use a scotch brite pad on an air tool to clean that gunk off (provided you can get in there). And if you don't have air tools, any excuse to buy air tools is a good excuse to buy air tools.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
There is this stuff called gasket stripper here in the land of Aus. It worked wonders on the float bowl gasket of my motorbike.
I know its good stuff because it made my eyes burn even though it was being used outside.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I used a long knife honing stone on my aluminum head in the parts washer, it was pretty gentle and had the added bonus of making things even straighter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LloydDobler posted:

Same problem shops have with modern liquid gasket. Use a scotch brite pad on an air tool to clean that gunk off (provided you can get in there). And if you don't have air tools, any excuse to buy air tools is a good excuse to buy air tools.

An engine builder I talked to disavows the scotchbrite stuff, says it's bad to use on gasket surface. His main poiint was against using it on the deck or the intake manifold gasket area, as it leads to an uneven surface and "rounds the corners". I'm not sure it's as important on a water pump area.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I learned the hard way that it does. I still use a red wheel, but after I stone the surface. This shows the low spots and I can generally work it carefully down. *This is for aluminum parts- scotchbrite IMO has a much harder time on steel- I do recommend their white bristle gasket remover wheels for any gasket surfaces. http://www.amazon.com/3M-07528-Roloc-Bristle-Grade-White/dp/B000FW4LDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378271287&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+white+roloc

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

the spyder posted:

I learned the hard way that it does. I still use a red wheel, but after I stone the surface. This shows the low spots and I can generally work it carefully down. *This is for aluminum parts- scotchbrite IMO has a much harder time on steel- I do recommend their white bristle gasket remover wheels for any gasket surfaces. http://www.amazon.com/3M-07528-Roloc-Bristle-Grade-White/dp/B000FW4LDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378271287&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+white+roloc

Yup. Used a right angle die grinder with a bristle tip hard foam thing, along with permatex gasket remover. All the gasket material is gone. Now awaiting the hose nipple that screws into the back of the pump that was supposed to have shipped with it, but by mistake was not. Once that is here, I'm putting the pump in, and gonna give it a whirl, and see how she sounds without that banshee howl.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWwzBwKolBk

Sooo.. It runs, no squeals with the new waterpump. The idle is a bit high, but there's a vacuum leak (broken hose) that I forgot about.

However, there was good news. The transmission works, and the clutch works, and is not fused to the flywheel. Clutch in, wheels stop spinning.. Clutch out, wheels spin. That is a very very good thing.

Way2slow fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 6, 2013

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Video is set to private mate! Cant see it!

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Ferremit posted:

Video is set to private mate! Cant see it!

Yeah, I screwed up. That's been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Did you have to do anything with the electrics besides replace the battery?

• Locked thread