Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I always used ATF to free a stuck engine, last one I had I let it sit for about a week with the cylinders full of it. It did work out and I got it running. Just be sure if you do get it to turn you turn it with the plugs out to clear out all the fluid before trying to start it. It may be a lost cause, I mean your going to have to rebuild it anyway so perhaps the best next step is to pull the engine and tranny together? I wouldn't be surprised if you have a hard time separating the two though.

That is a beautiful car btw and a great investment imoho.

I know there is a kit car manufactor now making XKE clones. If were to ever save up enough cash for a kit it would be a toss up between the XKE and a Factory Five '65 Coupe.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Hell yeah, if it's got compression then it will run! It would be nice to drive it for some inspiration before you rebuild it. Also you could always tell a story about how you got an XKE for next to nothing and got it running running and driving with some diesel and sweat.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Way2slow posted:

Far from diesel and sweat. Replaced all the clutch hydraulics (it was frozen), replaced/repaired all cooling devices (radiator, expansion tank, heater box, thermostat & housing), will have to replace the fuel tank, all the brakes need work and I'm sure I'll run into more before it's driveable without a rebuild.

Edit:
Radiator, all hoses, and expansion tank are now in place.

Putting the tank back in my '75 yota tomorrow and I have some hope that I may get it running for the first time by the end of the day. There's nothing like getting something running and driving it for the first time. I'm excited for you.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

What I could hear of the engine sounded pretty good. Grats!

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I used a long knife honing stone on my aluminum head in the parts washer, it was pretty gentle and had the added bonus of making things even straighter.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I think it's time to sell it. I mean how much more money will you get compared to the amount of work that is going to be needed to get it up to good condition from this point? A runs and drives XKE has to be worth quite a bit.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Octopus Magic posted:

Car sounds awesome and you've done right. Are you going to wash that dirt/dust off some time soon? :)

This reminded me of the AMMO NYC vids on youtube. The guy shows you how to restore paint on expensive cars.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYsa8SOy3TkoxI5D17s1u-w

Citycop fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 13, 2013

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Just like you would not swap out any bits on the Mona Lisa for something more modern, this car is a time capsule and a tarnished representation of what it was on it's best day, when it was original and brand new. What makes the car great is not how well it works, but how well it represents what it was on that first day. If you don't get that then you would probably be better off buying a brand new modern Jag instead of this increasingly irreplaceable antique.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I think it would look better with some clear covers for the lights.

It's pretty rad the way it is right now if you can just fix the little things to make it reliable.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

They look pretty clean to me ?

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

You probably want to get them refurbished anyway. There are shops that specialize in it, you just have to find a good one and send them off. I do know that restoration can meet or exceed the cost of a new wheel.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Don't listen to the haters, love the forward progress :)

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

We need some new pictures.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

That color is going to look great with the chrome.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I think it would be a nightmare if you tried to do it on a budget, saving every piece you could, and trying to get it running without starting from the ground up. If you did it right, and removed every bolt and rebuilt the motor then it would just be expensive and time consuming.

• Locked thread