Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

Those first two have "donation" shops that seem to violate Mojang's monetization rules. https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation/

That's basically the norm for most public minecraft servers nowadays. Mojang continues to not enforce the eula, so they continue to break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

McFrugal posted:

That's basically the norm for most public minecraft servers nowadays. Mojang continues to not enforce the eula, so they continue to break it.

Good reason to avoid public minecraft servers, then.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

Good reason to avoid public minecraft servers, then.

The Third one is mine and it would be nice to have others on the server (PVP enabled and anything goes - the only thing banned is MFFS as it crashes worlds if you put a cube mode in the projector and you have no scale modules it tries to make a 0x0x0 cube and corrupts the world

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Baby's First Space Race is exactly what I've been looking for. I tried other packs like OMPi, Direwolf20, and FTB, but they're all way too complex and I didn't want to have to spend time researching tech, digging up super rare minerals, etc. I didn't want to go back to vanilla Minecraft with its complete lack of anything exciting to do after you find enough diamonds to make a suit of armor.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
A mod called CivilizationCraft is going into Open Beta this evening that I think I might try out. Any goons happen to play this one before?

http://www.reddit.com/r/BaseBuildingGames/comments/34h2ux/civilizationcraft_open_beta_begins_24hrs_from/

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Is there a way to recomplete a quest in HQM? I hosed up and lost a warp page in Clouds of Darkness.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

mechaet posted:

Come play AgSkies 2 with us. 208.77.221.188:25566

It seems I can no longer place blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Carados posted:

Is there a way to recomplete a quest in HQM? I hosed up and lost a warp page in Clouds of Darkness.
I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* you can type "/hqm edit" to get an edit-version of the book, then open that and ctrl+click a quest to mark it finished/unfinished. Not sure you'll get the reward a second time, though.
Worst case scenario you can go into a new world, use the ctrl+click to zip through existing quests, then finish and claim the reward for the quest you need.

Then just save your inventory in NEI, go to your existing world, drop all your stuff somewhere safe, and load that inventory. It's the most reliable way of saving exact items I know.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

McFrugal posted:

It seems I can no longer place blocks.

Fixed.

Sprocket
Apr 1, 2005

woof

mechaet posted:

Come play AgSkies 2 with us. 208.77.221.188:25566

I'd love to get in on this but due to the nature of the pack it doesn't make much sense unless you have your own little floating island in the sky. Any plans to have a few ready made plots laid out? From watching jadedcats video on the subject it looks like a bit of a pain in the rear end but also necessary if you want to play this pack on a server with multiple people.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
My husband and I just started playing again after a year or so off. We noticed that they have added a ton of extra types of blocks to collect but haven't added any room in the inventory to carry it all. This makes exploring less fun since it feels like we have to go back and forth too often. Is there a simple mod we can use in miltiplayer to increase player inventory space?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
NEI: you can turn on a garbage can icon to throw poo poo away if you don't actually want to collect blocks
Backpacks: adds packs to put thing in made of leather (+ string and some smelting for a bigger one)
Better Storage: adds a backpack you can place in the world like a chest

come to think extra utilities adds too much other stuff

I kind of like Better Storage better than most storage mods, it also adds lockers that are more space-efficient than chest but otherwise the same, and single item drawers. It looks pretty good. Not many modpacks have it, most opt for iron chests and backpacks.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 2, 2015

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check into those now. :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Awesome Kristin posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check into those now. :)

Sorry everyone for the :Wall -O- Text:

For other storage options, and mods with extra storage:

Enderchests adds color coded chests and pouches, dump stuff into your colored ender pouch, the same colored ender chest back at hope has the same inventory so whatever fancy auto-sorting system you have can empty it.

Tinkers construct has a backpack that basically doubles your inventory space.

Extra utilities has a golden bag that stores everything in it, as well as drawers that store and auto-sort tons of non-stacking items with the same ID (enchanted books for example)

Thermal expansion has stuff that is upgradable and ENCHANTABLE bags and chests. The chests keep their contents when you wrench them and are immune to everything except de-spawning if you drop them on death (and throwing them into lava).

Minefactory Reloaded has plastic bags you can mass produce but have small inventories.

For storage options that you don't take with you:

Iron-chests (if that's the game), adds upgradeable chests with more and more rows of inventory. Supposedly has some code in it that activates in the presence of other mods and goes "gently caress you"

Applied Energistics : adds the ability to create a network for purposes of automation and storage. You will have to check the Direwolf video for more info (its extensive, simple, but drat useful).
To build on this, there's two versions of this mod, with Links here: Direwolf 1, Direwolf 2
Version 2 is significantly more complex and adds bullshit to it, I suggest you ask someone here for configs to cut the bullshit out.

Jabba barrels: just barrels that stores stacks and stacks of a single item.

If you are going to add a mod just for extra storage, I would get enderchests.

Edit: Finished my sentence: "If you are going to add a mod just for extra storage, I would get enderchests."
It was 1:00 in the morning.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 2, 2015

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
InfiniteInvo just plain makes the player inventory bigger

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SugarAddict posted:

If you are going to add a mod just for extra storage, I wou

but you didn't even type Candleja

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome Kristin posted:

My husband and I just started playing again after a year or so off. We noticed that they have added a ton of extra types of blocks to collect but haven't added any room in the inventory to carry it all. This makes exploring less fun since it feels like we have to go back and forth too often. Is there a simple mod we can use in miltiplayer to increase player inventory space?

There's a mod called Adventure Backpack that adds backpacks, too, but it also has things like a section in the backpack that acts as a crafting table and a built in sleeping bag.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Midnight Voyager posted:

There's a mod called Adventure Backpack that adds backpacks, too, but it also has things like a section in the backpack that acts as a crafting table and a built in sleeping bag.

It's also hilarious in multiplayer, if the version of Blast Off the Yogscast guys are using is any indication.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SugarAddict posted:

Sorry everyone for the :Wall -O- Text:

For other storage options, and mods with extra storage:

Enderchests adds color coded chests and pouches, dump stuff into your colored ender pouch, the same colored ender chest back at hope has the same inventory so whatever fancy auto-sorting system you have can empty it.

Tinkers construct has a backpack that basically doubles your inventory space.

Extra utilities has a golden bag that stores everything in it, as well as drawers that store and auto-sort tons of non-stacking items with the same ID (enchanted books for example)

Thermal expansion has stuff that is upgradable and ENCHANTABLE bags and chests. The chests keep their contents when you wrench them and are immune to everything except de-spawning if you drop them on death (and throwing them into lava).

Minefactory Reloaded has plastic bags you can mass produce but have small inventories.

For storage options that you don't take with you:

Iron-chests (if that's the game), adds upgradeable chests with more and more rows of inventory. Supposedly has some code in it that activates in the presence of other mods and goes "gently caress you"

Applied Energistics : adds the ability to create a network for purposes of automation and storage. You will have to check the Direwolf video for more info (its extensive, simple, but drat useful).
To build on this, there's two versions of this mod, with Links here: Direwolf 1, Direwolf 2
Version 2 is significantly more complex and adds bullshit to it, I suggest you ask someone here for configs to cut the bullshit out.

Jabba barrels: just barrels that stores stacks and stacks of a single item.

If you are going to add a mod just for extra storage, I wou
Extra Utilities I considered suggesting, but they just want "vanilla minecraft with more inventory", the golden bag's too expensive for that anyway and there's a lot of other stuff that might be confusing. Same with Tinker's Construct, it's a better option since it's equipped and not a held item but you still have added more poo poo to collect AND to even make the dame thing you have to learn how to build a smelter and make a mold for a tool rod. Thermal Expansion and Minefactory reloaded are kind of disqualified for similar reasons.

Ender Chest's are also kind of expensive and late game.

Applied energistics at this point is just... no.
Even with baby's first space race handling most of it, I still haven't seen the point of using it now that I have my own storage system I'm used to, and it is an INSANE amount of work and wiki-reading to even start. Whoever's making this kind of has lost track of what he gently caress he's doing by trying to put in magic mod style "drop random stuff on a thing" crafting and extra dungeons required to even start to a tech mod.

Not to diss your effort post, I just want to warn a newbie about what getting into these mods kind of entail.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
If anyone else wants to try out CivilizationCraft, I've got a City-State set up and will invite anyone who wants to join. Just message Newton in game for a invite into The Horde

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there any mod that adds a way to reduce Permanent Warp from thaumcraft? I'm done with thaumcraft on this world but I'd like to mess around and build in other mods without having to keep messing around with bath salts.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
There's a command you can enter to set your warp to a number. Or turn it off through configs.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Echophonic posted:

It's also hilarious in multiplayer, if the version of Blast Off the Yogscast guys are using is any indication.

My theory was that that was a conflict with Smart Moving. Don't imagine there's much chance of them ever figuring it out though, unless they bumble into it by accident.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there any mod that adds a way to reduce Permanent Warp from thaumcraft? I'm done with thaumcraft on this world but I'd like to mess around and build in other mods without having to keep messing around with bath salts.

In one of the more recent versions of Thaumcraft you stop having warp effects if you stop doing warp-related things for a while.

Wolfsbane posted:

My theory was that that was a conflict with Smart Moving. Don't imagine there's much chance of them ever figuring it out though, unless they bumble into it by accident.

Why, what happened?

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

SugarAddict posted:

Woah, what's the story here?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

greententacle posted:

Woah, what's the story here?

If memory serves me correctly, the mod author thinks Thermal Expansion stole his idea for up-gradable chests. I have to search around for the exact post.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

If memory serves me correctly, the mod author thinks Thermal Expansion stole his idea for up-gradable chests. I have to search around for the exact post.

ironchests is made by cpw and he can be a drama queen, but iron chests is basically the most stable, simple, and non-malicious mod that exists. It's open source too so this is 100% not true.

He's put on a few shitfits and I don't even know if he does MC stuff anymore, it's probably managed by others now.

https://github.com/cpw/ironchest

E: yeah it's managed by this guy now, and it's still open-source, so nothing openly malicious and drama-related will be getting through. https://github.com/progwml6/ironchest

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McFrugal posted:

In one of the more recent versions of Thaumcraft you stop having warp effects if you stop doing warp-related things for a while.

Oh great, thanks. I'm going to go to space and I'm pretty insane, and didn't want to worry about mind spiders or whatever while there. Any idea how long it takes for the effects to stop? I assume it's ok if I leave my forbidden objects like brains in jars running, right?

Taffer posted:

ironchests is made by cpw and he can be a drama queen, but iron chests is basically the most stable, simple, and non-malicious mod that exists. It's open source too so this is 100% not true.

E: yeah it's managed by this guy now, and it's still open-source, so nothing openly malicious and drama-related will be getting through. https://github.com/progwml6/ironchest

That's good, because I have a giant tangled snarl of TE machinery, ductwork, and various tiers of iron chest and I really don't want to have to worry that it's going to destabilize my world 50 hours in because of someone's petty grudge.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

On the technic pack site, I'd like to be able to search for only packs that use certain mods.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

On the technic pack site, I'd like to be able to search for only packs that use certain mods.

This, for like 2-3 years at this point, this.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Taffer posted:

He's put on a few shitfits and I don't even know if he does MC stuff anymore, it's probably managed by others now.

https://github.com/cpw/ironchest

I should stop trying to be helpful, cause I don't know poo poo.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

I would like to do the opposite, search for packs without Forestry, Buildcraft, Railcraft...

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh great, thanks. I'm going to go to space and I'm pretty insane, and didn't want to worry about mind spiders or whatever while there. Any idea how long it takes for the effects to stop? I assume it's ok if I leave my forbidden objects like brains in jars running, right?

I dunno. You can probably leave the forbidden devices running- I think so long as you don't equip any Warping equipment or research/create things that give you warp, you should be fine. How long before it stops though...? Your guess is as good as mine.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

axelsoar posted:

I would like to do the opposite, search for packs without Forestry, Buildcraft, Railcraft...

railcraft is epic...

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

THE PENETRATOR posted:

railcraft is epic...

...ly bad. :smug:.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Acne Rain posted:

Applied energistics at this point is just... no.
Even with baby's first space race handling most of it, I still haven't seen the point of using it now that I have my own storage system I'm used to, and it is an INSANE amount of work and wiki-reading to even start. Whoever's making this kind of has lost track of what he gently caress he's doing by trying to put in magic mod style "drop random stuff on a thing" crafting and extra dungeons required to even start to a tech mod.

There go my eagle eyes again. Yeah, I think AE2 jumped the shark with the meteors and water crafting. The method for accelerating crystal growing requires an amount of resources and automation where accelerating them isn't even worth it any more. They just made the initial steps more time-consuming without being much more rewarding. The meteor thing could potentially be interesting if, say:

• The meteor blocks didn't in themselves take so long to bash in.
  • Likewise, the meteor blocks didn't require such an obnoxious tool level to bash in.
  • There was something more interesting to them than just a chest with a few patterns and maybe some other random detritus.
  • Speaking of the chest, it would be less a fuss if there was some assurance that I'd get a unique press each time I went wading into a meteor.
  • If meteor hunting was in any way more precise and did not already require some advanced materials, it would be a more pleasant adventure than a grind.

Mechaet just made recipes for the stuff to skip all the crap between that and the water crafting junk in his own pack. For BFSR, I did not want to lean on that with the quest book because I was still running on the notion the pack would be an intermediate step for most people. I'm not even so sure I adequately hid my contempt for the grinding parts of AE2 in the quest book.

Now, after the initial setup, AE2 is the go-to source for hilarious levels of over automation and I think anybody who likes technical mods should try to go all-the-way with it once. I considered that to be too advanced for BFSR, but if people are hanging around in it, it might be worth putting in something for laser drills going into highly-parallel automated ore processing, which is a typical day for the IT-guy-turned-AE2-wizard type.

I think for those mod pack authors whowant minigames around their technical tree like this, I had thought that there'd be a more stimulating thing with creating a SETI-like radio dish that could be directed to pick up the faint transmission for creating all these forbidden stuff. The information could then be copied freely. I can't remember which mod it was, but IIRC there was something awhile back that decided to grind out the tech tree with this kind of "forbidden knowledge" kind of stuff that could have benefit from it too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McFrugal posted:

I dunno. You can probably leave the forbidden devices running- I think so long as you don't equip any Warping equipment or research/create things that give you warp, you should be fine. How long before it stops though...? Your guess is as good as mine.

It doesn't seem bad, I played for a couple hours today and the second hour I got very few warp effects and the ones I did get were only the light flavor ones with no actual negative effects. I don't have TONS of warp, my permanent + temporary together doesn't quite reach halfway up the sanity check.

twinturbos101
Sep 13, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

OMP-i server pack still a thing you need to get in contact for? Sent StealthArcher a steam invite to chat about it.

edit: got hooked up, thanks!

How did you get the server pack? Do I need to contact StealthArcher?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

twinturbos101 posted:

How did you get the server pack? Do I need to contact StealthArcher?

That is what I did, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
What are some good magic packs? I've always played the tech mods, but never given Thaumcraft/Ars Magica/Blood Magic/etc a try.

• Locked thread