Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There go my eagle eyes again. Yeah, I think AE2 jumped the shark with the meteors and water crafting. The method for accelerating crystal growing requires an amount of resources and automation where accelerating them isn't even worth it any more. They just made the initial steps more time-consuming without being much more rewarding. The meteor thing could potentially be interesting if, say:

• The meteor blocks didn't in themselves take so long to bash in.
  • Likewise, the meteor blocks didn't require such an obnoxious tool level to bash in.
  • There was something more interesting to them than just a chest with a few patterns and maybe some other random detritus.
  • Speaking of the chest, it would be less a fuss if there was some assurance that I'd get a unique press each time I went wading into a meteor.
  • If meteor hunting was in any way more precise and did not already require some advanced materials, it would be a more pleasant adventure than a grind.

Mechaet just made recipes for the stuff to skip all the crap between that and the water crafting junk in his own pack. For BFSR, I did not want to lean on that with the quest book because I was still running on the notion the pack would be an intermediate step for most people. I'm not even so sure I adequately hid my contempt for the grinding parts of AE2 in the quest book.

Now, after the initial setup, AE2 is the go-to source for hilarious levels of over automation and I think anybody who likes technical mods should try to go all-the-way with it once. I considered that to be too advanced for BFSR, but if people are hanging around in it, it might be worth putting in something for laser drills going into highly-parallel automated ore processing, which is a typical day for the IT-guy-turned-AE2-wizard type.

I think for those mod pack authors whowant minigames around their technical tree like this, I had thought that there'd be a more stimulating thing with creating a SETI-like radio dish that could be directed to pick up the faint transmission for creating all these forbidden stuff. The information could then be copied freely. I can't remember which mod it was, but IIRC there was something awhile back that decided to grind out the tech tree with this kind of "forbidden knowledge" kind of stuff that could have benefit from it too.

Is there anything else that let's you be as robust as ae can get though? For all the horribleness it has getting it setup it's so nice to have one spot with all your stuff instead of a million different chests.

I also have to say hats off to the mod developers and their ability to hiding cables in mods like enderIO and AE. Gone are the days where I have to build my base in a way to have one block crawl spaces for cables and it look all janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
This mod here is pretty drat nice for certain storage situations http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2198533-storage-drawers-v1-4-0-updated-apr-30-15

Especially good for magic mods that have 50 different little fiddly components fighting for inventory slots all over the place.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Grey Elephants posted:

What are some good magic packs? I've always played the tech mods, but never given Thaumcraft/Ars Magica/Blood Magic/etc a try.

OMP Sigma on the technic platform is pretty good. Not sure about blood magic but it has the other two along with Botania. Plenty of dungeons and enemies to test your fun toys on, too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Light Gun Man posted:

This mod here is pretty drat nice for certain storage situations http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/2198533-storage-drawers-v1-4-0-updated-apr-30-15

Especially good for magic mods that have 50 different little fiddly components fighting for inventory slots all over the place.

Oh wait
Drawers AREN'T included in better storage.
I misremember since the only pack I've played with them is Paths of Magic (which I won't be returning to, Omp sigma is too much better for a number of reasons) which had this and better storage but is the only pack with them.

Cicadalek posted:

OMP Sigma on the technic platform is pretty good. Not sure about blood magic but it has the other two along with Botania. Plenty of dungeons and enemies to test your fun toys on, too.

Yes it has blood magic

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I feel like Baby's First Space Race almost needs pipes of some sort

The first stages of automation was always some farming machine with a hellscape of pipes bringing supplies to various machines to an output chest of some sort. And they were super cool to make your first half-dozen times. Nowadays we are past them, but for new players making those early modding farms would be neat.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Blind Duke posted:

The first stages of automation was always some farming machine with a hellscape of pipes bringing supplies to various machines to an output chest of some sort. And they were super cool to make your first half-dozen times. Nowadays we are past them,

We are?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Blind Duke posted:

The first stages of automation was always some farming machine with a hellscape of pipes bringing supplies to various machines to an output chest of some sort. And they were super cool to make your first half-dozen times. Nowadays we are past them, but for new players making those early modding farms would be neat.

I pretty much just have the Thermal Dynamics stuff. I really want pictures in HQM, or some kind of photo album mod, so I can include pictures to demonstrate some of these things. It's just hard to set up quests to verify they have that working well, other than just asking for 1,000 blocks of wood or whatever, which only enforces the end result without helping much in the intermediate steps. I had pondered trying to include a save game instead.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Just stop.
Please. Stop.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

...is that a salts factory? What are you melting for ordo?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Just stop.
Please. Stop.

he said, in response to a picture of some pipes in the loving Minecraft mod thread

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Oh man, the Alchemical Boiler is something I never got to using. :allears: I figured Milk would be a good fluid to boil, found anymore?

Light Gun Man posted:

This seems like a really nice mod!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 4, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Demiurge4 posted:

Just stop.
Please. Stop.

The best part is this machine is designed to cure insanity!

McFrugal posted:

...is that a salts factory? What are you melting for ordo?

Smooth sandstone. I've got a igneous extruder outputting cobblestone to a pulverizer, which sends the sand to an RFTools crafter which turns the sand into sandstone and the sandstone into smooth sandstone. Smooth sandstone melts into 4 terra, 3 perditio, and 1 ordo. You can see I've got void jars taking the excess terra and perditio so the system doesn't jam. It turns out piping into alchemical furnaces from the bottom puts things into the fuel slot and piping into the sides puts things into the processing slot, so it's very easy to automate with TE ducts. They're all powered by sugar charcoal coming from an automated sugarcane farm.

Thyrork posted:

Oh man, the Alchemical Boiler is something I never got to using. :allears: I figured Milk would be a good fluid to boil, found anymore?

Yeah milk has Sano in it which is a major pain to mass-produce otherwise. All the MFR liquids I've tried so far are pretty good. The big one I've found is sewage, which is a source of Vitium, so you can do taint-related research and item production without having to go to or even finding a tainted biome. Sewage also has Bestia. MFR Sludge has Mortuus so you don't need to kill a million skeletons if you need that. Chocolate milk of all things has Motus and Potentia in it. I haven't tried meat or pink slime yet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

The best part is this machine is designed to cure insanity!

How laggy is it? I'm wondering how crippling that setup would be if I had built something like it on the old Luddite server, just with golems instead of regular pipes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's not laggy at all, but I bet having golems running around shuffling all the items would be a pathfinding nightmare. Also, since you have to pipe fuel into the bottom of the alchemical furnace and processing material into the side, I'm not sure if you could get your golems to put things in the correct slots. You'd always be getting fuel put into the top slot and clogging your alembics with the wrong essentia. The other issue is you'd need to find non-tech based sources for all your items and essentia. I don't know what all mods are in luddite, so you might know sources for this stuff I don't know about.

Here's my rough setup. All machines that run on RF are powered by my main reactor via an underground tesseract line.

Fuel line
- Sugarcane farm -> MFR harvester -> Sugarcane -> Autocrafter -> Sugar -> Redstone furnace -> Sugar charcoal
The sugar charcoal is piped into the bottom of all the alchemical furnaces and the alchemical boiler to provide them with infinite fuel.

Production Line 1
- Igneous extruder -> Cobblestone -> Pulverizer -> Sand -> Autocrafter -> smooth sandstone -> Ordo, Perditio, Terra
- Sugarcane farm -> MFR harvester-> Sugarcane -> Aer, Aqua, Herba (voided in a void jar)
- Magic Crops infused shard farm -> MFR harvester -> shard essence -> Autocrafter -> Fire shards
- Fire shards + Aer, Aqua, Ordo, Perditio, Terra -> Balanced shards -> Redstone furnace -> Salis mundus

Production Line 2
- Sugarcane farm -> MFR harvester -> Sugarcane -> Autocrafter -> Paper -> Cognitio
- Igneous extruder -> Cobblestone -> Pulverizer -> Sand -> Autocrafter -> smooth sandstone -> Perditio (voided), Terra (voided), Ordo
- EnderIO Powered Spawner fitted with eldritch guardian soul -> Ethereal Essences -> Alienis (voided), Exanimis (voided), Auram
- Cow Trapped in Cow Hell -> MFR rancher -> Milk -> Alchemical Boiler -> Aqua (voided), Fames (voided, Sano
- Salis Mundus + Cognitio, Ordo, Auram, Sano -> Bath Salts

I used cyclic assemblers for all my autocrafting, except for the smooth sandstone which I used an RFTools autocrafter. I don't know what Luddite has for autocrafting options, but you'll need it to get your Cognitio paper and your shards. You could probably make a cobblestone generator from an arcane bore fitted with a void pickaxe, but I'm not sure what you could use for your Ordo source if you don't have pulverizers to get infinite sand.

All mods involved: Thaumcraft (duh), Automagy, Thermal Expansion, Thermal Dynamics, Minefactory Reloaded, RFTools, EnderIO, Magic Crops, Agricraft, and Big Reactors.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 4, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if there is a tool of some kind in any mod that accelerates laying down cables? Maybe something like the builder's wand but for cables and stuff? The particular case that annoys me is adding a new line onto ender IO's cabling systems, it's great that you can get a bunch of cables in one block, but you have to lay the entire grid one cable at a time and it gets pretty old.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

Anyone know if there is a tool of some kind in any mod that accelerates laying down cables? Maybe something like the builder's wand but for cables and stuff? The particular case that annoys me is adding a new line onto ender IO's cabling systems, it's great that you can get a bunch of cables in one block, but you have to lay the entire grid one cable at a time and it gets pretty old.

How would said tool function?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

[DISCUSSION] What is the best minetweaker/modtweaker progression modpacks.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Shukaro it may be time to put a bullet in this poor thread and start anew.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shukaro posted:

How would said tool function?

I am not a modder so I cannot tell you how to make it or anything, but I can imagine a couple ways it could work user side. The builder wand extends existing blocks in a fairly intelligent way, I imagine you could make a similar too that fills in gaps with a selected cable or other material. Like if you dig a long 1 block trench, point cable tool at trench and click, trench now filled with cables. For Ender IO it could look for existing Ender IO cables and stack the new one on top best as it can. Alternatively it could work like the MFR ruler and the user would specify start and end points and it would fill in cable between.

Perhaps these ideas are impossible or suboptimal but that is something I find myself wanting a lot. I suppose you would also have to pick out the cable you want to lay in advance so it knows what to place, too.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
While you are at it a tool for quickly adding minecart tracks would be handy for anybody foolish enough to try anything rail-based

Really for a building game there's very few tools out there for making it less tedious

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Duke posted:

While you are at it a tool for quickly adding minecart tracks would be handy for anybody foolish enough to try anything rail-based

Really for a building game there's very few tools out there for making it less tedious

I had this in my mod Pluscraft, the Rails+ tool! A few other tools as well, for making redstone circuits and TNT traps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJYfXw2kt30

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Rutibex posted:

I had this in my mod Pluscraft, the Rails+ tool! A few other tools as well, for making redstone circuits and TNT traps:

That's actually pretty cool. Good job Ruti.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, this is along the lines of what I'm talking about. Neat.

That's still one click per block area, but it's still something that makes a complex process less tedious, so hell yeah.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

It's not laggy at all, but I bet having golems running around shuffling all the items would be a pathfinding nightmare. Also, since you have to pipe fuel into the bottom of the alchemical furnace and processing material into the side, I'm not sure if you could get your golems to put things in the correct slots. You'd always be getting fuel put into the top slot and clogging your alembics with the wrong essentia. The other issue is you'd need to find non-tech based sources for all your items and essentia. I don't know what all mods are in luddite, so you might know sources for this stuff I don't know about.
Okay, so what version of Thaumcraft? I'm currently running a version that doesn't allow more than one type of essentia per tube at all and it's horrible to know that I have to use golems, as I have no idea what I'm doing with them and am really new to Thaumcraft (I've never infused anything, the infusion altar I made is terrifying and the thing I made it for uses two types of essentia that I have no idea how to mass produce)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, this is along the lines of what I'm talking about. Neat.

That's still one click per block area, but it's still something that makes a complex process less tedious, so hell yeah.

Well it loses something by the fact that it just places all these blocks for free. There's nothing else in his inventory.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McFrugal posted:

Well it loses something by the fact that it just places all these blocks for free. There's nothing else in his inventory.

They are super expensive tools to make, like Equivalent Exchange tools. I figure, why not have a tier when rails and redstone are free? It's an expanded idea of "earned" creative mode. At some point your automated system produces more redstone and iron than you could ever reasonably use, once you have earned that wealth level why not have some tools that sacrifice the concept of scarcity for convenience?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rutibex posted:

They are super expensive tools to make, like Equivalent Exchange tools. I figure, why not have a tier when rails and redstone are free? It's an expanded idea of "earned" creative mode. At some point your automated system produces more redstone and iron than you could ever reasonably use, once you have earned that wealth level why not have some tools that sacrifice the concept of scarcity for convenience?

I would prefer a cheap labor-saving tool over an expensive cheaty one.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So just make both then, or make the simple one work as a cheaty one in creative mode, or make it a config. options are cool.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

wylker posted:

Shukaro it may be time to put a bullet in this poor thread and start anew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGhP3p6lI3U

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There go my eagle eyes again. Yeah, I think AE2 jumped the shark with the meteors and water crafting. The method for accelerating crystal growing requires an amount of resources and automation where accelerating them isn't even worth it any more. They just made the initial steps more time-consuming without being much more rewarding. The meteor thing could potentially be interesting if, say:

• The meteor blocks didn't in themselves take so long to bash in.
  • Likewise, the meteor blocks didn't require such an obnoxious tool level to bash in.
  • There was something more interesting to them than just a chest with a few patterns and maybe some other random detritus.
  • Speaking of the chest, it would be less a fuss if there was some assurance that I'd get a unique press each time I went wading into a meteor.
  • If meteor hunting was in any way more precise and did not already require some advanced materials, it would be a more pleasant adventure than a grind.

Mechaet just made recipes for the stuff to skip all the crap between that and the water crafting junk in his own pack. For BFSR, I did not want to lean on that with the quest book because I was still running on the notion the pack would be an intermediate step for most people. I'm not even so sure I adequately hid my contempt for the grinding parts of AE2 in the quest book.

Now, after the initial setup, AE2 is the go-to source for hilarious levels of over automation and I think anybody who likes technical mods should try to go all-the-way with it once. I considered that to be too advanced for BFSR, but if people are hanging around in it, it might be worth putting in something for laser drills going into highly-parallel automated ore processing, which is a typical day for the IT-guy-turned-AE2-wizard type.

I think for those mod pack authors whowant minigames around their technical tree like this, I had thought that there'd be a more stimulating thing with creating a SETI-like radio dish that could be directed to pick up the faint transmission for creating all these forbidden stuff. The information could then be copied freely. I can't remember which mod it was, but IIRC there was something awhile back that decided to grind out the tech tree with this kind of "forbidden knowledge" kind of stuff that could have benefit from it too.

Of course with a server all you have to do is make a kit that gives you the presses.

And a lot of people don't know that you can copy presses by putting them in the inscriber with a block of iron,.

The AE2 changes (except the meteors ) make a lot of sense
The controller is not needed for starter simple networks (max 8 devices) you can just throw down an Energy Acceptor, ME Drive, Glass Cable (fluix) and a terminal to get a functioning network. You can also add an import bus pointing to a chest so you dump stuff in the chest and pow it is in the network.

The real changes in AE2 are that you cant just have endless cables and machines making mega laggy networks, you have to consider all the channels and what you are going to need. So now rather than ME cable everywhere i use enderio conduits and tessaracts to move stuff to one chest that i import into the network Works a treat and i have plenty of channels left to add an autocrafter if i need it.

but if you just use it as an easy to use crafting bench that holds all your stuff, you do not need all the tech tree or even a controller.

That is why AE2 is better than the original system where you HAD to have the controller to do anything.

On another note if you have Steve's Machine Manager it will control the slots on the inscriber making auto crafting of processors simple

As for crystal growth, i usually go to a puddle, throw in 3 stacks of redstone, 3 stacks of nether quartz and 3 stacks of charged certus quartz (Ender quarry is nice for getting resources) to get 6 stacks of fluix.
Then i make Clay blocks and sag mill them for silicon and then set up a hopper into the left of the inscriber to do 5 stacks of silicon / logic / calculation with probably only 1 stack of engineering( diamonds are still rare)

Then use pipes and hoppers to feed the ingredients in for bulk creation of the final processors
with a chest on the right for the output.

once you have those its easy to get more storage etc so not a problem really.

sorry for the long post but

TL;DR;

USE AE2 its easy really

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Ender IO has gone a way to that, Last night on ModSauce i had 3 Stacks of Nether Osmium Ore, I smelted it for 6 Stacks of Osmium Ore, Then sagmilled those 6 for 2.5x dust which i smelted for 15 stacks total osmium ingots.
Of course i could have used the Mekanism 5 times to get 30 stacks of osmium but that is just overkill.

So for a bit of flint you can multiply your ores nicely.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Why even have a limit on channels at all though?
I understand some people want to really get into some specific poo poo and subdivide their network with whatever specialty cables and keep separate channels and systems and whatever, but why not just have a basic, AE1-style all-purpose setup where you can just plug in whatever you want and not worry about it? This whole poo poo about channels and subsystems puts me off it even more than the hunting for meteors.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I understand some people want to really get into some specific poo poo and subdivide their network with whatever specialty cables and keep separate channels and systems and whatever, but why not just have a basic, AE1-style all-purpose setup where you can just plug in whatever you want and not worry about it? This whole poo poo about channels and subsystems puts me off it even more than the hunting for meteors.

I actually like it,

and when i show people in game they suddenly get it and are as happy as i am.

Also i think the channel thing can be turned off in config, as can a recipe be enabled for the presses.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
why not make a video review/guide then, that's what all the kids are doing these days.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

why not make a video review/guide then, that's what all the kids are doing these days.

Because i am not a kid and someone old enough to be some of the 5-6 year olds that play minecrafts grandmother is not the sort of person who engenders knowledge to these youngsters

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Vib Rib posted:

It's because making things intuitive and not tedious would make this glorified chest too overpowered and un-fun.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Vib Rib posted:

Guess what? There's a config setting, just for you! It disables channels and all related features.

Seriously, channels make designing an AE system interesting. It requires a little thought and planning and design to do things. But since you don't want to have to think about it, AE2 is not a "mah vision" mod and it has the config I mentioned.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Serifina posted:

Seriously, channels make designing an AE system interesting. It requires a little thought and planning and design to do things. But since you don't want to have to think about it

So were you born with that stick on a high horse up your rear end or did you shove it up there yourself?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

StealthArcher posted:

So were you born with that stick on a high horse up your rear end or did you shove it up there yourself?

I'm just tired of seeing the same whining about AE2's design every other week like it has since it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Whalley posted:

Okay, so what version of Thaumcraft? I'm currently running a version that doesn't allow more than one type of essentia per tube at all and it's horrible to know that I have to use golems, as I have no idea what I'm doing with them and am really new to Thaumcraft (I've never infused anything, the infusion altar I made is terrifying and the thing I made it for uses two types of essentia that I have no idea how to mass produce)

Do you have Thaumic Energistics in your game/on your server? If so, you can bypass ALL of the craptastic alchemy pipe bullshit via AE2. Even at it's most obtuse, AE2 isn't nearly the headache that Thaumcraft alchemy is.

Seriously, would you rather have:
-A finicky, hissing, temperamental monstrosity of alchemy pipes and a giant wall of size-limited containers full of essence.
-A pile of adorable but sometimes laggy golems (they're entities, they just can't help but be laggy) and a giant wall of size-limited containers full of essence.
-Everything taken care of by lag free, minimal hassle cables and more storage than you'll reasonably need in a single block (ME Drive).

2 is okay, but in my opinion 3's the best, 1 is just pure madness and I don't blame you for being intimidated by it.

• Locked thread