Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Fazana posted:

Tekkit chat... I thought I'd try using as much of the MFR mod as I can and started with conveyors to move stuff around and I've hit a snag pretty much right out of the box. Without RedPower, whats the most efficient way to get a redstone pulse to fire an ejector so I can get the stuff onto the conveyors from the mining turtle chest?

I'm about to test out a redstone engine to see if that will work but I'm wondering if there's something buried in a mod there that will let me make the equivalent of a RedPower pulsing timer circuit?

Thanks!

Could write a computer craft program to emit a pulse every X seconds/ticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Yeah, I really like that idea. Looks much less tedious.

Plus it reminds me of that old alchemy flash game, which I wasted so many hours on.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Sirithil posted:

Also, Redstone in Motion by jakj is your new go-to for frameships.

Would this mod work well enough to make elevators for my base, or is the frame motion too much of a problem like RP2's was?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

SugarAddict posted:

In tinkers constuct you can melt down villagers into liquid emerald. Supposedly there's an emerald cast somewhere but I can't find it and the liquid emerald is useless without it and you can't scoop liquid emeralds or metals once you have put them out in the world.

Couldn't you pour it into a casting basin and then turn the blocks back into emeralds?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Erogenous Beef posted:

That's not a bug; the reactor can't operate if part of it is unloaded, as the bits that are unloaded may actually contain parts of the simulation. If any part of the reactor unloads, the whole thing pauses until the machine is whole again. You can use UE uranium, but I think yellorium is more common by default.

I think you're imagining 0.17. You might be thinking of 0.1.7, which is an older version than the current 0.1.13. The most current version can always be found on the Big Reactors website.

I've talked about 0.2 in the future, which will of course start with 0.2.0 and go up from there.

Does it use the yellowcake, refined uranium or the fuel rod? CAuse I got some of those sticking around, but Mekanism stuff always causes my computer to lag with all the block updates and noise and stuff.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Yes it does use the Atomic Science U-238 derived by turning Uranium Ore into Yellowcake then Uranium Hexafloride then U-235 and U238. I have done this myself, and in my suggestion: don't. The energy costs of the machinery needed far outstrips the power you get back. However if you find Nether Urnaium, you can pulverize it into 4 Yellorium dust.

So basically just drain my supply of U-238, then start using Yellowrium/Blutonium then?

At least fusion reactors don't seem to lag so much. Friend of mine built a huge one, but he used the Mekanism energy pipe to transfer out power which basically turned my MC into a slideshow. Thankfully convinced him to switch over to conduits.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Okay nevermind it looks like distance to bedrock makes no difference for laser drills so the space station is sort of a waste of time.

Man now I'm wondering why I even spent all those resources on Galacticraft in the first place.

I thought higher Y levels for the drill increased its energy efficiency or something?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

http://youtu.be/VxEPrUZa_Z0

Progress video of the new fields, felt it needed to be seen in motion. Adds a new meaning to "light rail," I think.

Do you think you could possibly have some kind of extender or remove the range restriction entirely for the rail fields? Would be great for futuristic transportation. Plus I wouldn't have to rely on Railcraft's high speed rails anymore.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

I have some new emitter types on the drawing board, including one that would generate fields in such a way that you could have one continuous field extending as far as you wanted. Like the electromagnet rings around a particle collider. I don't expect to have it in for the next release though.

I didn't originally envision the yellow fields behaving this way, but as I was experimenting with the physics, came up with this, and immediately spent 5 minutes sliding around having fun with them I figured I found the answer. Right after that I realized I needed new emitters so people could make zoom tubes.

I still have several bugs relating to the yellow fields I need to resolve. After that, there's one more emitter type I *do* plan to include, and some general polish and additional user configuration. Will release after that, but I don't expect it to be for a week or two.

I always thought it was weird that no matter how futuristic I could build things with various mods that I was stuck with minecarts (Or if I had traincraft, old fashioned coal trains) for transportation. Having Zoom Tubes would just be incredible.

I only need one more type of mod to complete the whole ensemble though... anyone know of any good wireless redstone mods? I know Chickenbones didn't update his for 1.5

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

How difficult would you say the coding is on some of these mods? Cause I've wanted to try to make some simple stuff in game, and I've had some java classes, but not many.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Danith posted:

I have a VPS sitting around, would anyone be interested in a Terrafirmacraft (http://terrafirmacraft.com/index.html) server? I played it awhile ago and thought it was pretty neat but very intricate.

Sure, I could give it a go.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Danith posted:

TFC server stuff - this is going to be harder then I initially thought. None of the MC launchers are updated for 1.6.2 so I have to do everything manually so I probably won't get it up and running today like I thought I would :(

edit: holy gently caress, I'm about to give up.. The new Minecraft launcher keeps crashing over and over again

What's it saying when it crashes? Setting 1.6 up for mods isn't that difficult. Especially since forge is releasing self-installing jars now.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Has there been any word about what's going to happen to MFR?

I remember hearing awhile back that powercrystals was burned out or something and that there wasn't going to be a 1.6 version

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

tonic316 posted:

Gregtech is my bitch :smug:. That pink dust to the left of redstone is chrome and iridium to the right of redstone. I really should make a fusion reactor but gently caress that :effort: Maybe someday when I am really bored I'll do it.

What mod are those monitors from?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

I don't even know what those are. I will "fix" the trail thing when I get home.

We had a bit of a cow infestation, as I found out the chronotyper in the breeding facility was 1 block short to cover the whole room, enabling the cows to overwhelm the... Walls. And in the slaughter area with the calves, the slaughterhouse had dead spots as well. They are all dead now, and I will have to reinforce the walls with spikes or something before I repopulate it.

Are blocks less... penetrable (I guess) than fences? Cause I had a 5x5 area surrounded by fences that I used to breed cows. There were only like four of them in there, but every now and then I'd come back to the pen and there'd be calves outside the fence even though power to my chronotyper was never interrupted.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Has anyone heard anything out of powercrystals in awhile?

Heard a rumor that he was dropping out of the modding scene. And I'm not sure if that's true or if it's just because people are panicking because MFR hasn't been ported to 1.6.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

RmansRvnge posted:

MFR Laser Ore Addon, Version 2 - Download

Changes: Add ore, selectively enable, and adjust drop rate in config file. EnderOre and M Crops added to default config.
Todo: Foci support, code cleanup

I may do one more update this week, but don't want to cross the rules on posting excessive updates, so if it's a problem I'll stop. I'd just like to give something back to the community here and don't have the patience to deal with MCF or the like.

Do you have any plans of doing a version of this for 1.6?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

So I recently added a bunch more ram to my computer which so far has basically crushed any and all problems I've had with playing modded minecraft.

Except one.

For some reason I can load as many mods as I want (Got up to like 85 most recently) with few to no problems. However if one of those mods is ever Natura or Biomes O Plenty, suddenly my CPU usage skyrockets and the game becomes unplayable.

And it's only ever those two mods too. Even if I cut out a bunch of the other mods, the moment I add in one of those, my framerate tanks the moment I load a map until the game crashes.

Any idea what could be causing this? I know I have a fairly old computer but without those mods everything runs perfectly.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

wargames posted:

Its called world gen that is why your fps is tanking hard, both of those mods gently caress with world gen and make it better but more cpu intensive, try a permgen option when you boot up your world and try this. https://sites.google.com/site/minecraftlandgenerator/

Are you sure? Cause it does it even when I generate a superflat world for mod/build testing.

Edit: Also that generator thing seems to be just for 1.5.2 I'm using 1.6.4 now.

RaspberryCommie fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 10, 2013

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

Real talk: I'd kill for a lunar generator.

Could call it a tidal generator, or something.

Place it in water, and then it generates power based on the moon phase.

Also could go for something more silly. Would it be possible to make like a cow/horse/whatever livestock treadmill generator? Dangle a carrot in front of them and let it go.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Fortis posted:

I would love to see something like the Redpower windmills except they generate power people actually give a poo poo about. Those were super cool aesthetically. I know some mods have wind generators but they're either tiny or just inert blocks. When RP2 for 1.4 was teased, the windmills were the only thing I got excited about.

Mekanism has wind generators that are like modern windmills. The blades animate faster the higher up they are and the more power they generate.

They're not as big as RP2 windmills, but I still think they're kinda cool even if they're one of the more low power options.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

KingLemming: I'm having trouble with itemducts and MFR harvesters. I've got the harvester, an itemduct on "red", a few more, an itemduct on "blue", and a chest, and it's not harvesting. I've tested it with BC pipes and it works perfectly, and I've also fiddled with the itemduct settings (blue/blue, red/red, blue/red). Any ideas?

I'm having a similar problem here. I have the harvesters dump their contents into a chest, which feeds into two itemducts. One is set to vacuum mode and delivers stuff back into the planter. The other is set to restriction which heads to an overflow chest which feeds an MFR Bioreactor.

However, the itemducts are completely ignoring their settings and are going for the overflow chest first. Which is especially weird because even without the restriction/vacuum settings, the overflow chest is farther away from the planter anyway. It doesn't make any sense.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

KingLemming posted:

Both of you, screenshots. Seriously, this is literally pics or it didn't happen.

This is the way the itemducts connect to the chest next to the MFR harvester. I have four farms, all set up like this, and all of them dump to the overflow chest before refilling the planter. Green pipe leads to the harvester, red leads to overflow chest.

This is the overflow chest. I've temporarily disconnected the itemduct from it so that the planters can refill. The farms are fully grown at the moment as the farm had been working overnight due to a nearby Stargate (which apparently acts as a chunkloader). This is the closest farm to the chest (you can see the wheat farm in the background), but all of them dump to this chest before going to the planter.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

American Dad posted:

See how the connection on the bottom of the chest is red, the pipe is probably full of crap that doesn't fit in the planter and wont pull anything else. You should just replace the chest itself with an itemduct.

Huh. didn't notice it was red now. It wasn't red when it was sending crap into the overflow chest. And the only thing going into the chest is what's being harvested.

Still, I'll put in just the duct and see if that works.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Taffer posted:

Items will fall out of the pipes and onto the ground. This is one of many reasons that BC is terrible and you should use something better. TE, AE, EXU, etc. There are many superior choices.

And if you're holding out on BC for the Quarry, apparently Mekanism now has it's own version.

There's really no reason to use BC at all aside from using it as a dependency for other mods, although most of those are switching over to RF power.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Jagged Jim posted:

I could use some help with Thermal Expansion 3. I have a basic power network set up but I have no idea where my RF is going. All of my machines are at full power but my Energy Cell isn't storing any power even though my engines are running. Do conduits store energy? Or is some glitch sending it into the ether?

Check the cell's configuration. You might have it set to output on all connections.

Blue is input, orange is output, yellow is disconnected. Set all sides to blue if you wanna charge it.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

How much power do redstone conduits buffer for?

At the moment, the only power generation I have is a couple of Galacticraft Advanced solars, but the conduits are sucking up all the power they're putting out and none of it is getting to my machines. Wondering how long this is gonna continue for before I can get actual power again.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

Edit: So he changed them for ~balance~ and ~MY VISION~ then? Ok, hopefully Thaumic Tinker will fix it to not be poo poo again.

I don't think I'll ever understand why modders do poo poo like this. They keep ramping up the inconvenience. It's almost like they don't want people to use their mods.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

That's a bug in Mekanism 5.7. It's fixed in Mek 6, but a lot of other things change, like adding complicated 4x ore processing and super complicated 5x ore processing. (Seriously, the 5x has 16 steps.)

Not gonna lie.

I like the idea of 4x and 5x processing.

I'm not even bothered by the existence of multiple steps so long as they're not the GTech standard of "You must make this single use hammer out of netherstars to make one plate" or whatever.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

dijon du jour posted:

Been playing the newest Thaumcraft and I have to say, I actually like the new research system. Then again, I really like these kinds of puzzles. Most of all I'm just glad that Azanor has finally come up with a system that isn't entirely luck/guess based. :woop:

I agree as far as research is concerned, but good god gently caress Azanor forever for changing the Essentia tubes.

Even when my golems aren't falling through the floor into the abyss forcing me to make new ones, they're dumb as bricks. Not noticing empty jars that they're set to, or just plain walking straight into a wall for over a minute before finally noticing the 2x2 door not even a block away, even when I give them glasses or perception upgrades.

I wish someone would mod the old tubes back in.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

For gently caress's sake, why. Not having to worry about IDs should make everything easier.

Hi, welcome to Minecraft modding.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

The Mattybee posted:

How does that create essence?

You can create Magical Crops weak essences by putting (I forget which) either a 2x2 or 3x3 of seeds in a crafting grid.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

downfall posted:

I still find that I prefer vanilla Minecraft, but the Attack of the B-Team pack at least got me to try modded Minecraft. I did enjoy parts of it, but I think what I'm looking for is a modpack that is more of an expanded version of vanilla than all the fantastical/magical elements and crazy machinery that I find in most modpacks. I find myself enjoying mods like Biomes O' Plenty, Bibliocraft or Carpenter's Blocks - mods that seem like a logical expansion of what's already there.

Does anyone have any mod suggestions that kinda fit this feel? Or is there a modpack out there already somewhere that has what I'm looking for? I can't seem to find it if so.

Tinker's Construct would probably be a good bet for you.

It lets you make tool parts out of various materials to make better tools than in vanilla. It also adds new tools like mining hammers and lumber axes and various weapons.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

NST: Diet has Chisel. I guess Mecha just never add it to fatty.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Or, you know. Not bother with balancing because Minecraft is a sandbox game making any kind of balance meaningless. All it does is make previously simple tasks tedious and un-fun.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Just started AS for the first time, and I'm wondering. Have the drop rates been changed or something?

I've only grown two trees so far, and the first one only gave me one sapling, and the second one didn't drop any at all.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

chrisf posted:

Are you using crooks to break the leaves?

I didn't have a crook yet. I had literally just started.

Starting over now, because I imagine without apples, I'll probably starve pretty fast.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

McFrugal posted:

You're gonna starve anyway, Hunger Overhaul is brutal on skyblock. If you're using the Sweet Home map, there's some hidden dirt you'll want to get asap and expand your tree farm with it. Always use a crook to break leaves, try not to move around a whole lot, and do quests immediately- one will give you apples and another will give you a pan you can cook food in. Definitely start using silkworms on trees as soon as you have some backup saplings, because you get more silkworms to cook that way. More than you'd get apples. Just keep your silk tree separate from the rest of your tree farm because oak WILL grow into the silk tree and get infected, which means you could accidentally run out of saplings.

Aw gently caress, I took the axe. I thought the pan was just the standard TiCon pan that's just a crappy weapon.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Doing much better with AS than my first try. Got an igneous extruder made for cobble. Got a smeltery, and enough dirt to set up some farms.

I got a question though. How much grass do I need for neutral mobs to spawn? Book said 7x7, but I made 9x9, and I haven't had one single passive mob spawn yet. I can make chicken and sheep spawn eggs, but I need cows for leather.

Also, hostile mobs keep spawning even though most of my area is brightly lit. Did one of the mobs change spawning behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

So I checked my spawner platform. It's in plains, so there should be stuff spawning there, but nothing is.

But then, I suddenly got a ton of spawn eggs out of a reward pouch, and a cow finally spawned there after I converted it into a chicken pen.

I think the game is mocking me.

• Locked thread