Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ford LTD by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Levels by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Near Clatskanie, Oregon by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

SW 5th & Columbia by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Amtrak Cascades by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Cloud Gate by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

xcore posted:

The lines in this make me feel ill. The whole picture moves when I scroll :wth:

Good :hehe:

meso posted:

You will find that it's often recognized as a genre. Here for example.

While I acknowledge that many people see B&W as merely a style of a photograph. I would certainly argue that it's a genre on it's own, primarily because of the approach used when one shoots with the intent of it being a black and white photograph. Should I be shooting the same subject, the way I shoot it would depend entirely on whether I was shooting it in black or white or colour.

:lol: using a Wikipedia category index as a source :lol:

I would shoot something differently if I were using slide film or color negative film - that doesn't mean they're different genres. It means the medium is different.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sparowe posted:

Oh look, more B&W photos, which were taken with them being converted to black and white in mind, which had me focus on different lighting and textures as opposed to if I were keeping them in colour.

Different things mean other things for different folks and all that. Can't we just have a nice thread where we post our black and white photographs, that isn't riddled with arguments about the content when there actually isn't anything to argue about?

You might have missed the part where the OP got mad about other people posting black and white pictures in his thread. You also seem to have missed the part where, you know, I posted black and white pictures.

meso posted:

I originally created this thread to be dedicated to all black and white photography, not another "Life with Photographs" thread.

What does this even mean, anyway?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
That definitely looks like it's from processing. Are you sure you used enough liquid? How did you agitate?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pellethead posted:

It's very hard to tell a story in 1/60 of a second and I rarely get it right. I'm very much an amateur but trying very hard to improve.

The best way to start improving would be to not use a telephoto[-equivalent] focal length from a distance.

• Locked thread