Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amazing Spider-Man 529-534

Technically they're "The Road to Civil War/Civil War" but really they should be titled "JMS writes Tony Stark as a mustache twirling villain." Now, I know his run as a whole isn't exactly a fan favorite around here but while it certainly had its ups and downs before this was certainly the nadir of his time on the comic. I don't really count Back in Black and One More Day directly at his feet since they were very obviously editorial mandate arcs.

Starting at 529 with the gimmick-y Iron Spider suit the run then moves over to Washington DC where Tony games the Senate by staging a fight between Spider-Man and Titanium Man. It then moves on to Tony pushing Peter to unmask and then declaring (without consulting him first) that Peter would be the pro-Reg attack dog, taking down any unregistered hero they go after. After that its revealed that Tony was using the Iron Spider suit to spy on Peter's abilities.

The whole thing just kind of spirals out of control with Tony declaring that anyone in the Negative Zone prison is there for life and then attacking Peter completely unprovoked by busting through a wall at him.

The entire arc basically runs counter to how Tony was being portrayed in every other book at the time. It also ran against the stated intent of the event where the Civil War wasn't supposed to have one "good" side and one "bad" side. While some other authors didn't get that memo I'd say none were worse about it than JMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dr. Hurt posted:

Why did Spider-Man even need an Iron Man suit anyway? What's the in comic explanation for why he would put that on aside from it being toyetic?

The funny thing about the issue where he gets the Iron Spider suit is how stupid he acts in order to use some of its features. Like to show off how bulletproof it is he's put into a situation where he has to get shot and there are no other options to avoid it.

The in-universe explanation was that Peter and Tony had been working together for a while, with Tony acting as kind of a mentor to Peter and he wanted to help him out by giving him the new suit. (Also because Tony is a huge jerk he also put in all the monitoring equipment to spy on Peter.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That website's lack of any kind of left margin makes it look kind of wonky.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Moebius also went around draining people's "plasma" instead of their blood. Pro-tip, draining people's plasma but not their blood would be way worse for them, since he's filtering off part of the blood and leaving other stuff behind.

I also loved how they portrayed the Punisher in that one. Particularly the scene where he's in his Battle Van, :allears:, talking to Microchip, :allears:, and decides to hunt down Spider-Man. And as soon as he picks up a Stinger missle launcher, this alarm goes off saying LETHAL WEAPON and Microchip says
"Frank, don't do it."

That just cracks me up.

Edit: Found a clip of it here at the 1.30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppFZis3PgQ

Man, the Punisher in that cartoon was really well done.

The best part of that clip is how he uses a fin on the side of the missile to cut Spidey's web and they act like that's fine. Except for the fact that now there's an armed missile flying across the city.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frankly I never really liked the whole "Dark Reign" direction in the first place. Mostly because the whole bit with Osborn's rise to power never made any amount of sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They acted like the whole thing was a MOBA and because Osborn got last hit he got all the credit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WickedHate posted:

I only know The Hood from Avengers Academy and that pretty awesome mini with Damian Hellstrom and Morbius. What was he like before?

In his original mini Parker wasn't exactly evil or a big planner. He was just a low level thug who kind of fell backwards into the powers. I mean, he wasn't a nice guy but he certainly wasn't "supervillain" material.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What exactly happened in The Children's Crusade anyway? All I've ever heard about it is that its terrible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So what happened to Patriot after all of this?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite part of Age of Ultron is the scene where everyone stands around listening to Emma Frost describe some stuff that happened off screen, that happened to Luke Cage, who is over there, in that cabin, but we're not going to show him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

eightpole posted:

Didnt the supreme power books introduce like two new sets of super heroes that were totally not Spider-Man and captain america and so on and just disappeared the superman clone?

I believe that was when they tried to keep the series going after JMS ditched out (because it was supposed to be temporary) but they didn't want to use his Hyperion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DressCodeBlue posted:

Is there something grosser than Sue liking Reed when she was in middle school that I'm not getting from that panel?

Just crushing on a dude six years older than you isn't that weird. :shrug:

Edit: Missed the OMAC stuff. In that context of it being the same dude... :stare:

When its between adults 6 years isn't a big deal. When its a 12 year old and an 18 year old that's just gross.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't forget the horrible non-explanation as to why Darkhawk is there with the teen brigade when he's in his goddamn 30s (and also should have been in deep deep space nowhere near Earth.)

There was also a stupid bit where they realize they can't exactly make Arcade so super powerful with no consequences so you get a throwaway line about how he's extremely powerful and invincible in this arena but he's normal anywhere else.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the part that annoyed me the most out of all that stupid poo poo was giving Chase the Darkhawk amulet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Beast's whole thing when he grabbed them was that THIS time if something happens to them it changes the present.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say that, in reading the Ultimate universe of comics for the first time, Greg Land's art in Ultimate Fantastic Four is really horrible and jarring. Seeing Sue all of a sudden wearing a really revealing uniform is weird. All the smiles are creepy. It's just the worst.

Don't forget completely changing Doom's design to just be regular 616 Doom.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

qntm posted:

Ah, Man of Steel, in which Superman's powerful sight and hearing grant him enormous surveillance power, but when normal people try to keep tabs on him or where he goes or what he's doing he shoots their drone down, saying "Just trust me, I'll do the right thing! On my terms."

That's literally every single superhero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the arc itself wasn't bad, there was a really terrible moment at the end of Rick Remender's "Castaway in Dimension Z" Cap story arc, I'm talking about the Sharon Carter stuff. She shows up, shoots a little kid who she sees fighting Cap, doesn't seem to care that she shot said child and then kind of unceremoniously dies. The whole thing was so poorly done that I thought it was some kind of fake out but then the first issue after that arc ended characters were all "Yup, Sharon's dead."

• Locked thread