Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
So having played the MUT tourny, it is nice to know they fixed none of the issues with this game when playing with/against the computer. They still get some weird ability to possess pucks in the open ice that makes it impossible to get the puck, I still can't shoot while being touched (they have no issues), the AI on your team is dumb as a bag of rocks, teammates still cant settle passes, and slow defense men (on the AI team) can still out skate my fastest offensive players.

Definitely not buying this one, hopefully they fix things for NHL 15. Until then I'll stick to 13 I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

They should go back to the arcade direction. Not NHL Hitz or 00-07 low effort way, but focusing on the core mechanics making them snappy and fluid, controls responsive and the game flow better and leave out the stuff that looks realistic on surface but breaks down on the gameplay level. I could do without stuff like the boardplay if it would make the game more fun to play.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sweeper posted:

hopefully they fix things for NHL 15.
Considering it'll be the first one on next-gen they'll probably take the opportunity to strip it down to bare bones so they can spend the next 10 years introducing back features they've been adding (and removing and adding again) on the current console gen.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The only feature you can count on NHL 15 having is HUT.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Zip! posted:

I can quite literally see our games being something like out of the Slapshot movies except with my floaty dangler euro midget standing at centre ice going cmorrrn guys doncha wanna play hawkey?! and looking all sad and depressed when Joe takes his 3rd fighting major 18 minutes into the first period.

Hmm, no. You'll be in the box too after you've been forced to defend my honor after I've been killed at the blueline trying to enter the zone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL 15 is going to be free to play and saddled with even more absurd DLC/IAP.

$3 for a bag of pucks so you can play with friends. $5 to take your EASHL skater to the doctor so he can be cleared to play sooner. You want to simulate a month worth of games? That'll be 10,000 puck bux mister.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Sweeper posted:

So having played the MUT tourny, it is nice to know they fixed none of the issues with this game when playing with/against the computer. They still get some weird ability to possess pucks in the open ice that makes it impossible to get the puck, I still can't shoot while being touched (they have no issues), the AI on your team is dumb as a bag of rocks, teammates still cant settle passes, and slow defense men (on the AI team) can still out skate my fastest offensive players.

Definitely not buying this one, hopefully they fix things for NHL 15. Until then I'll stick to 13 I guess

This always happens to me and I assume I'm just bad at the game, but then I play online Versus/EASHL/OTP and do just fine. So either everyone is bad at the game (definitely possible) or the AI is really awful at adjusting for a human teammate.

Also gently caress HUT in the demo. The Team Canada game opened with eight full minutes of the Canadians playing keep-away in the neutral zone because they have magic sticks and no desire to advance into a decent defense. Eventually my guys got tired and the third line had to come out, at which point they just walked into the zone and scored.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
If you're having trouble scoring on HUT, I noticed my team was defaulted to the most defense, protective strategies. Everything was all left. So it could help to up the pressure a bit.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

triplexpac posted:

If you're having trouble scoring on HUT, I noticed my team was defaulted to the most defense, protective strategies. Everything was all left. So it could help to up the pressure a bit.

I upped my pressure to full attack and my center couldn't be bothered to play offense :v:

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, I was doing that the whole time but it dawns on me that I might have forgotten in the Canada game because I was getting annoyed. On a side note, what the hell EA.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If the strats really do default to "pure defense" it doesn't bode well. My defence still constantly get beat by forwards because the defender just stands still at the blue line until the full-speed forward gets about 10 feet away. Then by the time they glacially turn and accelerate they're playing catch-up.

Same issue has been in the game for a few years now.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Pleads posted:

If the strats really do default to "pure defense" it doesn't bode well. My defence still constantly get beat by forwards because the defender just stands still at the blue line until the full-speed forward gets about 10 feet away. Then by the time they glacially turn and accelerate they're playing catch-up.

That's actually somewhat CAUSED by the heavily defensive settings. If your guys press a bit more, they don't end up flat-footed because they have to come back into their end with some speed.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Pleads posted:

The CPU teams don't have that issue, they can go from standing still to out skating my forwards in a single step

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Sweeper posted:

The CPU teams don't have that issue, they can go from standing still to out skating my forwards in a single step

Welcome to EA Hockey games :(

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Welcome to EA Hockey games :(

Yea, that and how they find the perfect spot to put the puck, 99% of the time.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I did notice shot blocking became a thing again on hardcore simulation, so that was nice.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Pleads posted:

Hut settings in the demo are full NZ 1-3-1 by default which is crap if to want any sort of offensive pressure.

I like the bouncy pucks, makes dumpins much more likely to be successful. overall the small improvments like pivoting with the puck is quicker, shots along the ice are actually on the ice, ai is in position for a quick breakout out of own zone, defense has an easier time boxing out a player make for a better overall experience. Probably not worth 60$ but its the only option out there.

What should of been fixed was the 'your bumped, still control puck but can't shoot' mechanic. Either loose control of puck or allow shots. Making shot button unresponsive is dumb. Goalies or shot accuracy need to be looked at. I find scoring goals quite easy in the demo. Not only do all the high % shots from nhl13 work, but snap shots from slot work better, crosscrease passes get through defense more often and crosscrease goals are more likely. Goalies need a buff i think. The fighting is better over last 4 years of the same thing. Glad they capped fights to 3 per game. But its annoying to hit a player, gain puck, and lose an offensive chance because a fight must happen.

Best improvement is controlling direction of puck chop. Nicest goal I've scored was a dumpin, puck chop from the corner to the slot, and a chop forward for a goal.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Fighting wasn't capped at 3 for me in the HUT. Definitely got into five fights against Boston.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

T-Bone posted:

Fighting wasn't capped at 3 for me in the HUT. Definitely got into five fights against Boston.

Was offline stuff capped at 3 in the past? I don't remember, I never really did it offline.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Hockles posted:

Was offline stuff capped at 3 in the past? I don't remember, I never really did it offline.

Same, so I have no idea. I gotta think it's gonna be capped at three again in online, and they'll all be used up approximately six minutes into the first period.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Hockles posted:

gently caress eashl, I'm just gonna pummel my friends into submission

Zip! posted:

I can quite literally see our games being something like out of the Slapshot movies except with my floaty dangler euro midget standing at centre ice going cmorrrn guys doncha wanna play hawkey?! and looking all sad and depressed when Joe takes his 3rd fighting major 18 minutes into the first period.

Pretty much. poo poo.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

In case anyone cares:

pre:
  Artist 	                   Song
Airbourne 	                "Live It Up"
Biffy Clyro 	                "Modern Magic Formula"
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club 	"Let the Day Begin"
Black Veil Brides 	        "In the End"
Buckcherry 	                "Gluttony"
Bullet For My Valentine 	"Riot"
Dropkick Murphys 	        "The Boys are Back (NHL Mix)"
Heaven's Basement 	        "Fire, Fire"
New Politics 	                "Harlem"
Rise Against 	                "Lanterns"
Soundgarden 	                "Been Away Too Long"
Wolfmother 	                "Joker and the Thief"
BMFV returns! :rock:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

There'd better be more to the NHL 94 mode in the full game because as it stands, it's a tuner pack with different ice. I can't believe they tried to hype this as a big selling point of the new game.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Pleads posted:

There'd better be more to the NHL 94 mode in the full game because as it stands, it's a tuner pack with different ice. I can't believe they tried to hype this as a big selling point of the new game.

Hahahhano

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Pleads posted:

welcome to nhl 94 mode.
seriously, thats what it is.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Outstanding. The big-head 3v3 arcade game from 2009 had more effort put into it (and is still more fun for that kind of arcadey game).

I wonder if any of those 3v3 arcade devs still work there or if EA's relentless march of uninspired design crushed their souls and sent them packing.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Pleads posted:

Outstanding. The big-head 3v3 arcade game from 2009 had more effort put into it (and is still more fun for that kind of arcadey game).

I wonder if any of those 3v3 arcade devs still work there or if EA's relentless march of uninspired design crushed their souls and sent them packing.

Do you remember how they had goalie collisions in NHL 12 and it was a big thing?
Then they removed them last year?
Now they are back! New Feature!

EASports does this constantly with all their games, they just cant find a formula that works, so they add and remove features every year. The NHL department is really bad though, NFL makes a big change every year (and usually back fires), Where as FIFA stays pretty well the same.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Pleads posted:

When I first heard about NHL 94 mode, all I was really expecting was for them to make an 16-bit version of NHL 14. But, like you said, right now it feels like a tuner pack with different ice. Sure, the controls are slightly different, the sounds are different, but everything else feels like NHL 14. It's really disappointing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ashekaban posted:

Do you remember how they had goalie collisions in NHL 12 and it was a big thing?
Then they removed them last year?
Now they are back! New Feature!
Yeah, they did this with Vision Control too (now it's defensive strafing and still feels kind of broken)

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Pleads posted:

Yeah, they did this with Vision Control too (now it's defensive strafing and still feels kind of broken)

Bring back NHL 10 (was that the first year of EASHL?), that was the best.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just looked at the Madden 25 review - this was in the final verdict: "It would be better if EA Sports did more that was new and interesting rather than bringing back features discarded in previous versions". Thought that was pretty funny.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

They turned the ice blue and forced you in to the classic control scheme which has been around all along. Whoop de loving doo. I made it a minute or two before turning that off.

I never expected to enjoy it but I was at least hoping for a better gimmick.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Finally had a chance to sit down with the demo last night and played a couple of games/watched the be a pro or whatever the gently caress its called now video and... No. gently caress no. No way I'm buying this. I've had it with EA. The skating somehow feels worse/less fluid than 13 and the animation is terrible and what the Christ is with the passing? I'm pushing left/up-left and twice it no-joke went up-right on me.
Not to mention all of the canned presentation animations are the same from nhl 10, the lazy as gently caress choose-your-own-adventure screens and THE SAME GM hands-are-folded screen hah...

This is what no-competition breeds. And the worst part is that, if it sells like poo poo... Oh well, that's all we get Womp Womp.

I remember when I used to love playing the vidjagames hockeys... I literally had zero actual fun playing the demo. :sigh:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Duke Chin posted:

This is what no-competition breeds. And the worst part is that, if it sells like poo poo... Oh well, that's all we get Womp Womp.

Yeah man, I hate this poo poo.

Don't get the complaints about passing though. I thought it was just fine??

I am just praying that auto fight for big hit is off otherwise I am gonna be spending a loooot of time in the box.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Yeah man, I hate this poo poo.

Don't get the complaints about passing though. I thought it was just fine??

I am just praying that auto fight for big hit is off otherwise I am gonna be spending a loooot of time in the box.

The passing was off for me on the first few games as well, but I'm also playing on a PS3 (played all the previous version on the 360). It's getting better now. I really like the hitting in this one though, but yeah, that auto-fight has to go. Since I usually play offline, I can probably fix that with a slider.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A slider to turn down auto-fights is one thing, I'm worried they picked the wrong loving hits to trigger fights though. I can run people into the boards from behind all day and all I have to worry about is a penalty, but if I dare catch a guy clean in the chest it's fisticuffs.

It's the wrong hit, and that's the kind of fundamental broken I'm worried about.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Pleads posted:

A slider to turn down auto-fights is one thing, I'm worried they picked the wrong loving hits to trigger fights though. I can run people into the boards from behind all day and all I have to worry about is a penalty, but if I dare catch a guy clean in the chest it's fisticuffs.

It's the wrong hit, and that's the kind of fundamental broken I'm worried about.

This would make it more realistic though!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

It IS the clean his they fight over though.

I tried playing NHL13 right after playing the demo, and NHL13, in my opinion, feels a lot more arcadey than NHL14. I suspect it's the update physics and presentation that is the most of it.

And I like the fights. I think they are fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anders posted:

It IS the clean his they fight over though.

Just like the real NHL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So I wanna do another SAS GM Connected this year but what ruined it last time for me was maybe five or six players who were so absurdly stupidly good that it wasn't fun. Same few guys were in the finals every time, every time I played one of them I got blown out. I wanna do another league this year but only for players who are intermediate. Anyone up for that?

• Locked thread