Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

death .cab for qt posted:

So, apologies for asking here but the thread is like 3 months dead in the Games forum and considering the first few episodes of your LP, you probably have a better idea of it :v: I'm playing Darksiders 1 and at the "CONNECT THE BEAMS" part, which is a bit of a slog. Does the game pick up again after this or is it mostly downhill?

Pretty sure you just got one more quest to do before the end of the game, but the ending is so worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Connecting the beams is to restore the angel guy who takes you to Eden and starts the quest to get the super sword isn't it? If so there's still a fair amount of game left and a big lump of backtracking but I think the ending is worth it.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PYB1H6VgNQ

Another episode, already? Hooray unemployment! Nothing staves off that lurking feeling of becoming useless human garbage as well as playing video games for the internet!

We are finally off to the "Lost" Temple. This dungeon it very strait forward and features a few construct-related puzzles. All in all, it feels like it could have been cut and the game wouldn't have suffered (this is a pattern we will be seeing much more after the Foundry dungeon). Since Darksiders 2 is absolutely obsessed with the number 3, though, we have to have a third dungeon before unlocking the big "real" dungeon which is the Foundry.

We get some fancy equipment in the Temple, though, including the Grim Talisman and we unlock the first Death Tomb.

Achievements in this episode:
To Move A Mountain - 43:27

The Warden is a friendly sleeping construct dormant in the Lost Temple. He is one of the Tormented Gates seen in Darksiders 1, and has the ability to call stone to his aid which is a nice parallel to the Earthcaller from the first game being the device to activate the Tormented Gates. This basically means the Warden is needed to open the path to the final Forgelands dungeon, the Foundry. Like other constructs, he is slow moving and likes to yawn.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So when you're performing a finisher, no matter who it's on, are you temporarily in Reaper Mode for the whole thing?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Glazius posted:

So when you're performing a finisher, no matter who it's on, are you temporarily in Reaper Mode for the whole thing?

All bosses have a Reaper Finish, entirely cinematic.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glazius posted:

As a way of showing the difference between Death who is at his full strength and War who had his strength sapped from him, Death is able to summon parts of the Reaper at-will, though it still takes effort to fully manifest. Another way of showing this is by having all bosses get finished in Reaper form.

e; Also those sentinels (the floating heads, I think they're called sentinels?) can be immensely irritating because once their shield is up they only bring it down when they are reviving fallen constructs. Oh yeah they revive fallen constructs :T

I had a lot of fun in an arena fight where I just didn't notice a Sentinel spawning in behind me and it took me about five minutes before I noticed it.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 19, 2013

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The tormented gate guy actually walks through the collapsed path in the north east of the Stonefather's Vale, the path behind the chest in the Lost Temple is not used for anything as far as I know.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.
A quick update since there's hasn't been a video posted in a while here:

I'm still alive! My hard drive might not be! In order to preempt a catastrophic hard drive failure I've had to restart the rendering for the next episode thrice already, losing over twenty hours of rendering time in the process. Fortunately, I have everything backed up in case my poor HDD gives up the blue smoke.

I started the render the last time on an external drive, but my main HDD still makes noises like a jet taking off directly into another jet, so I'll have to get a replacement drive I suppose. Other than inconveniencing my entertaining the internet with video games, this situation makes finding a job and contract work extra cumbersome!

Anyways, Happy Halloween to all the goons out there - you should all go read Humper Monkey's haunted nazi military base ghost story - it is a classic.

This temporary hiatus will allow plenty of time for stupid names to be generated for the next possessed weapon, though!

We recently got a set of possessed scythes and I plan on putting critical chance and critical % bonuses on them, so feel free to contribute puns with that in mind.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Man, video editing (for LPs) apparently does a number on harddrives, that's been a theme coming up every now and then. Either that or confirmation bias.

Anyway don't worry - by having a backup you're already ahead of 99%. Nobody minds a few delays from that or other (real word and job related) things taking priority. :)

Reive
May 21, 2009

Edo Animus posted:

A quick update since there's hasn't been a video posted in a while here:

I'm still alive! My hard drive might not be! In order to preempt a catastrophic hard drive failure I've had to restart the rendering for the next episode thrice already, losing over twenty hours of rendering time in the process. Fortunately, I have everything backed up in case my poor HDD gives up the blue smoke.

I started the render the last time on an external drive, but my main HDD still makes noises like a jet taking off directly into another jet, so I'll have to get a replacement drive I suppose. Other than inconveniencing my entertaining the internet with video games, this situation makes finding a job and contract work extra cumbersome!

Anyways, Happy Halloween to all the goons out there - you should all go read Humper Monkey's haunted nazi military base ghost story - it is a classic.

This temporary hiatus will allow plenty of time for stupid names to be generated for the next possessed weapon, though!

We recently got a set of possessed scythes and I plan on putting critical chance and critical % bonuses on them, so feel free to contribute puns with that in mind.

Uh, wow, what on earth are you doing to cause it to take so long to render?
You're fancy intro/outros shouldn't take awful long to render, and everything else is mainly just cuts right?
I mean if you're doing a 2-pass encoding it'd double the length, but even then the longest I've ever had to encode something is like ~3 hours, and I have a pretty crappy old CPU.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Man, video editing (for LPs) apparently does a number on harddrives, that's been a theme coming up every now and then. Either that or confirmation bias.

It's not called the LP curse for nothing you know! Just ask Jade Star. :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

well scythes come in pairs so Critically and Acclaimed or somesuch variation could be fun.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Critical Thinking.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Constructive Crits

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Inyo and Face?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Death Scythed As He Drew His Katana

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

Reive posted:

I mean if you're doing a 2-pass encoding it'd double the length, but even then the longest I've ever had to encode something is like ~3 hours, and I have a pretty crappy old CPU.

I challenge your definition of a crappy old CPU! A 50 minute episode takes my poor computer about 20 hours to render. It would be awesome to have a shorter render time, but that would mean a new computer which means money. This all follows from that whole jobless thing mentioned earlier. Sho ga nai.

Others posted:

Critical Thinking...
Critically Acclaimed...
Constructive Crits...

I like where this is going. Remember that the character limit on the weapon names is 13.

Maybe just: "The Critic"

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

^^^ Voting on that. The Critic.

God speed on harddrive.

GuardMomHeart
Mar 2, 2011

The hair is always watching...
If we're going to go with something like The Critics, why don't we go a level deeper with the pun? Since they're sickles, essentially, why don't we call them Siskels? I'd say Siskel and Ebert, but I couldn't come up with a way to get both of them in under 13 characters.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Please name them "IT STINKS" in all caps

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can't use "&"?

"Siskel+Ebert"? "SiskelnEbert"? Don't remember if you guys said if you can use any kind of special characters or not.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Call it Jay Sherman.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
GeneSickle

JEEJohnson
Oct 31, 2011
Crit Happens?

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart

JEEJohnson posted:

Crit Happens?

Ooooh, seconding this one.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

JEEJohnson posted:

Crit Happens?

Holy hell yes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yes. Well done.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wet Bandit posted:

^^^ Voting on that. The Critic.

God speed on harddrive.

Or get cryptic with Hatchi and Matchi.

Edo Animus
Feb 19, 2011

Date tres dies mihi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrrYgCkG0Ac

Unforeseen computer issues have kept this episode from rendering and uploading for a while, but here it is now! We tackle the Scar, one of the harder optional dungeons grossly underleveled. If you ever wondered if it were possible to get to the boss at the end of the Scar using only a Claw sub-weapon, then this video will provide answers. We also get to see under Death's mask! I think this is the best episode we've done yet. The Scar is just so...broken.

Also, this is as hard as the game will ever get. Fighting Ghorn at a low level is much harder than the last boss with over powered gear, so enjoy!

As for computer issues: I've installed a new hard drive only to discover the issue persists - thus the HDD wasn't ever the problem. I'm thinking it's a fan issue now.

Keep the stupid weapon names coming, a lot of them cause only the highest quality groans.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hahaha, I keep being surprised at how easy you make breaking the game wide open seem; luckily we have the "20 minutes of attempting jumps" montage to remind us you're still human. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's astonishing how many things you're never supposed to jump on nevertheless have collision and are perfectly spaced so that the jump + three hits + hammer charge juuuust gets you on top.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013
If Death ever gets a hold of a double jump, I fear for the very fabric of DS2's programmed reality. You can already just waltz over entire chunks of gameplay, leap through entire dungeons in a serious of takes-I mean on the first try with editing, and skip entire puzzles just by whacking a wall a bunch of times with your weapons until your foot sticks somewhere.

Also, my vote for your new weapons is Lucky 7s. Boring, I know, but they're lucky, cuz they crit, and they're 7s, because Scythes look like 7s. Eh? Eh?! :D I'm a terrible person and I apologize.

e: Bolded weapon name

Zylo the Wolfbane fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 3, 2013

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh hey, looks like Darksiders 2 has been on a steam flash sale for 80% off (:10bux:). There's only ~50 minutes left on the sale, but that's a pretty nice price to pick the game up for if you don't have it and want to play it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Regarding time spent, how does glitch jumping compare to playing through the stages ordinarily? Is it significantly faster, even assuming a success rate on par with your latest attempt, or does is end up not making much of a difference after all?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Name a Claw Hammer.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Regarding time spent, how does glitch jumping compare to playing through the stages ordinarily? Is it significantly faster, even assuming a success rate on par with your latest attempt, or does is end up not making much of a difference after all?
You can speedrun the whole game in an hour just by using jumping glitches. Individual jumps are either shorter or much longer depending on how often you fail at them. For example that 20 minute sped up montage takes under a minute if done normally with the H**ksh*t.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
The fact that you can glitch jump and skip the entire Forgelands means you skip roughly 30-40% of the game, and I imagine the later areas can be similarly sped through at times.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Name a Claw Hammer.

Name a hammer Nail.

Name a mace Pepper Spray.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
If you find a possessed mace, you should name is Mace To Face.

e: bolded name

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Velocity Raptor posted:

If you find a possessed mace, you should name is Mace To Face.

e: bolded name

Or Not The Face.

• Locked thread