Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

It is smaller but the base game is also cheaper and they said Arizona will be a free DLC. Guessing if they go state by state for the DLCS they'll be a bit cheaper than Going East or the Scandi one, or maybe bundle a few states together and flog them that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

oh, not cheaper by much, didn't ETS2 cost a bit more and they've lowered the price since? dunno

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
You get free steampunk paintjobs for ATS if you follow the store page.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/270880/

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
It's so close. I can taste it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Megadyptes posted:

It is smaller but the base game is also cheaper and they said Arizona will be a free DLC. Guessing if they go state by state for the DLCS they'll be a bit cheaper than Going East or the Scandi one, or maybe bundle a few states together and flog them that way.

They will definitely have to do that for New England. We're pretty fuckin small, even with all six states combined.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

$20 US or so seems pretty reasonable for that size, especially considering that the fidelity of the landscape you truck through seems to be greatly increased (as was seen in Scandinavia) over Europe. Vanilla ETS2, and Going East as well, is a whole lot of the same looking roads, ground, and landmarks everywhere, no real variation. If paying a bit in chunks is what it takes to actually have it look like I'm trucking through California, Nevada, and onward rather than texture square "europe_landscape_forest_184" then I think that's fine.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Kibayasu posted:

$20 US or so seems pretty reasonable for that size, especially considering that the fidelity of the landscape you truck through seems to be greatly increased (as was seen in Scandinavia) over Europe. Vanilla ETS2, and Going East as well, is a whole lot of the same looking roads, ground, and landmarks everywhere, no real variation. If paying a bit in chunks is what it takes to actually have it look like I'm trucking through California, Nevada, and onward rather than texture square "europe_landscape_forest_184" then I think that's fine.

Most of California between SF and LA where most of the cities look to be is boring, flat, farmland, and Nevada is almost all desert.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Megadyptes posted:

Didn't they also say the cities will be more detailed than the European cities? So hopefully that means more fun navigating tight city streets.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I hope they'll put out a few more europe DLCS. finish off France and add in Iberia and Italy already dammit!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Megadyptes posted:

I hope they'll put out a few more europe DLCS. finish off France and add in Iberia and Italy already dammit!

I'm hoping for Greece myself, cause I'm Greek and wouldn't mind something homey.

I also hope they do some Europe updates, to fix it up a bit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jerkstore77 posted:

Most of California between SF and LA where most of the cities look to be is boring, flat, farmland, and Nevada is almost all desert.

I know. I don't have some crazy high expectation of photorealistic landscapes and there's still obviously going to be a lot of flat land no matter what location they create a game around but if Scandinavia and the trailers are at least some kind of barometer its still going to be a fair bit more picturesque than anything in vanilla ETS2 and Going East.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

"Tyres" in American Truck Sim. Not very American.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

I'm hoping for Greece myself, cause I'm Greek and wouldn't mind something homey.

I also hope they do some Europe updates, to fix it up a bit.

Just use promods, they already reached spain and will probably do greece at somepoint.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

jerkstore77 posted:

Have you ever been in this area?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
West Texas is the worst and is what the moon would look like in hell. It also goes on forever. It's one of those places where you see a sign saying "Last gas station for next 200 miles".

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As much as I want to truck home, Oklahoma is horrible to drive through.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

As much as I want to truck home, Oklahoma is horrible to drive through.

What, you don't like driving for hours in a straight line down 44 surrounded by hundreds of miles of identical farmland?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Switching to manual shift is also a good help you, the auto will shift down up down up down up when you are using the manual you can find a gear and top out in it and edge up the hill.

BTW, you can now map a button to switch between automatic and sequential on the fly :eyepop:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
You can also bind a button to force the automatic to drop a gear if it gets "stuck" in a too high gear.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kilonum posted:

They will definitely have to do that for New England. We're pretty fuckin small, even with all six states combined.

If they get to New England, I sincerely hope they do at least some of Canada.

South Park wasn't far off; we're pretty much one way or another on a really long road.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If they get to New England, I sincerely hope they do at least some of Canada.

South Park wasn't far off; we're pretty much one way or another on a really long road.

According to a SCS blog post a while ago Canada is a pretty relatively big portion of the player base which could mean they'll go north at some point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kibayasu posted:

According to a SCS blog post a while ago Canada is a pretty relatively big portion of the player base which could mean they'll go north at some point.

Oh my god, yesssss :getin: eh.

There really needs to be a :getineh: or :takeoffeh:

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Hey so I have my big shiny merc truck, but I notice I can pay silly money for more wheels or a bigger cab. Do those things do anything? What about the gearbox with the R suffix?

Regarding ATS I feel like the scale must be more accurate right? Otherwise the game will be the size of the games UK.

Edit also sorry for the questions but once I'm done with my current job in going to hire some more drivers. I recall hearing the trucks they drive don't matter so what is the cheapest truck?

DiabloStarCraft fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 19, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The R in the transmissions stands for Retarder, and it is an awesome piece of machinery that will make driving a lot easier, IMO. Here is a Real Life video about them, some of that doesn't apply to ETS but a lot of it does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09FLsez9mHs

As for fitting out your drivers, they actually changed that. Truck performance now DOES effect them. I'm not sure how, personally.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Having a transmission with a retarder is a huge, huge help once you start using it regularly. Deffo get it.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
Seen a lot of love for HotMixRadio on here, but I gotta throw in a vote for Nation Radio Cardiff - today I got to watch a beautiful sunset over the Netherlands while blasting "Don't Stop Believing", which was immediately followed by "We Are the Champions" :kiddo: plus the Welsh ads are loving hilariously bad; I played a lot of GTAV before this and sometimes I still don't quite believe that I'm listening to a real radio station in this game

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

bald gnome error posted:

Seen a lot of love for HotMixRadio on here, but I gotta throw in a vote for Nation Radio Cardiff - today I got to watch a beautiful sunset over the Netherlands while blasting "Don't Stop Believing", which was immediately followed by "We Are the Champions" :kiddo: plus the Welsh ads are loving hilariously bad; I played a lot of GTAV before this and sometimes I still don't quite believe that I'm listening to a real radio station in this game

Gonna add that to my favorites, it sounds awesome.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Naked Bear posted:

Having a transmission with a retarder is a huge, huge help once you start using it regularly. Deffo get it.

To expand this answer, it works with cruise control to maintain your speed whilst going down a slope. It's super useful if you're already trying to corner too quickly and need all your attention on steering and honking your horn.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

So apparently ETS2 physics is closer to reality than I'd given it credit for.

https://i.imgur.com/BfxvRoE.gifv

These loving barriers hurt my trailer more often than I wish, and I never notice until a cheaty-autoload is too far behind me.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Overwined posted:

Have you ever been in this area?

I've driven from SF to LA multiple times. Very boring drive. Sure, there's the nice coastal route, but that doesn't look like its implemented considering where the dots are on the map.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jerkstore77 posted:

I've driven from SF to LA multiple times. Very boring drive. Sure, there's the nice coastal route, but that doesn't look like its implemented considering where the dots are on the map.

More than a few of the preview videos and screenshots have featured at least some coastal roads I believe. Might not be for every single mile of the cities there but there is something.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It would be genuinely weird if they didn't have US 101 in there.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

PoMods is planning on releasing some new content on Saturday

http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?p=107940#p107940

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

PoMods is planning on releasing some new content on Saturday

http://www.promods.net/viewtopic.php?p=107940#p107940

They should release a drat bugfix first ffs.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

track day bro! posted:

They should release a drat bugfix first ffs.

The worst part about the bug that causes the game to crash in certain cities in Romania?

They know what is causing it. They know how to fix it. They just can't be bothered until thee release the update that fixes the other, much more minor bugs :eng99:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

What is the current state of promods? I kind of got tired of every update loving it up and then took ages to get Scandinavia so I'm a fair few versions back.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

2.0 is a buggy mess.

Previous version is in better shape, though still has (very minor) issues.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is ProMods still worth getting? I'm playing without mods now.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mandalay posted:

Is ProMods still worth getting? I'm playing without mods now.

I don't bother with it any more, since between Scandanavia and Going East I feel like I have plenty of distance to cover, but some folks still swear by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
ProMods has too many issues for me to recommend it. They won't fix things and instead go "We're adding this content! Don't worry about the stuff that's broken, we just make this new stuff for you to go see!"

Going East and Scandinavia DLC add tons of cities, and Scandinavia is a good looking area. Don't forget about JazzyCat being a better alternative to ProMod's trailers. I bet the ProMods ones will be broken.

I also today did my first World of Trucks cargo run. It took too long, since I like going FAST and being stuck at 90 max speed is so slow. I want to go maximum Sonic when delivering things.

• Locked thread