Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, flip a coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

XP: 0 | Adv: 1 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: Psychopath | Location: Home

Even though the transmission has already ended, I still give it an overly excited “Bye!” for completeness sake. And I stand there smiling in awe of our brief exchange. I’m not sure exactly why, but I just feel thoroughly pleased with myself. That went well, no, it went perfect, flawless execution! I’m actually going to spend an extended amount of one on one time with a female...that I don’t despise on some instinctual level! Bella is off limits. Maybelle is too fragile. Nessa’s flaws are obvious. And Chloe does not equally distribute shared food sources. When you consider all the other females in my life thus far, Jenny adequately meets the baseline requirements.

And now my communication device is buzzing with new messages and my abundance of enthusiasm deflates in a pathetic whimper. Mike is giving me orders now?! He is not authorized to dictate mission level objectives. Only John has that clearance and designation. He’s not my official CO! *sigh* I suppose I’ll do it, but I want him to know that it’s not because of any directive on his part. I was going to investigate Emmet thoroughly anyways to satisfy my own curiosity. The non-biological entity has been my project since I first detected it. So I don’t bother to responding to Mike’s animal-excrement based txt. gently caress his deadline too. I’ll get around to it when I so desire. It’ll just have to fit around my new budding social life.

Determined to enjoy this promising evening, I repackage the contents of my shoulder-based carrying bag with what I may need: math notes, a package of Red Vines licorice, and two units of duct tape. We have so much of it so it must be useful. Then I’m out the door on my way to this “trailer park” location.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

"You're talking to cats."
"And you eat ghosts, so shut the fuck up."
Chloe Caraway; 3 XP; 1 Harm; 0 Dark Power Strings

... loving ow!

Whiskey-Dick hits me hard enough that, if there weren't this whole loving crowd around, I'm pretty sure I'd be flat on my back. Because motherfucker's like, twice my size and on steroids or some poo poo. Right, this is why I've been avoiding any kind of bullshit with him; because he could legitimately beat the poo poo out of me and probably wouldn't have too many qualms about doing it. But, like I said, I've taken dudes way bigger than me before. Maybe not in a way some people would describe as 'fair', but what the gently caress ever. If I want to avoid getting my face beaten in, I'm going to have to hurt him pretty quick. Like, really hurt him -- jam a cigarette in his face, smash him in the throat, give that famous dick of his the loving Ender Wiggin treatment -- whatever it takes for him to back the gently caress off and leave me alone on the grounds of me being a 'crazy bitch.'

After that hit, it hurts to loving breathe, let alone fight back, but I'm not about to let that cheap shot stand. I wind up to kick his loving shin in with one steel-toed foot, but before the kick can connect,something loving weird happens; my foot just freezes in place. Like, there is an invisible hand preventing me from kicking this prick.

At this point, Dick turns into a goddamn werewolf. Shitshitshitshit(why does this seem so familiar)shitshitshitshit! And like, this thing is bearing right down on me, so of course I try to call on my good buddy the insufferable rear end in a top hat-demon to put it the gently caress down, but like... there it is again -- like something has just slammed a wall down between me and the unholy power I need to actually defend myself. So, I'm just standing there like an idiot, while everyone else panics and runs from the seven foot pitch black wolf monster.

I start backing way the hell up, not that I think it'll help much. "What the gently caress, rear end in a top hat?" I shout in the direction of the cigarette that fell out of my mouth when Dick hit me. A black, angry smoke is coiling up from it. "I don't care what you want from me later -- loving fix this poo poo!"

Okay, using Strings Attached to try and get the hex removed, with Chloe's end of the bargain to be determined once she is not in peril of being eaten.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 18, 2013

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 2 | Harm: 0 | Conditions; Lying Bitch

Oh no.

This...this wasn't how it was supposed to go. Why did she pick a fight with that aggressive piece of poo poo? This is all wrong! I just stand there, next to the bar, and I'm nailed to the ground, frozen in fear. He might put her int he hospital at this rate! The thought of reversing the hex doesn't even occur to me, dumb-struck as I am with the realization of the terrible mistake I've made. People already turn away from Emmet and the asians to observe the new fight. Some of them remain silent, some of them jeer them one, but nobody knows what's about to happen except me.

And then it gets worse.

Turns out I didn't know what was going to happen at all. Stupid, stupid girl. Right then and there, Richard Beck, trailer-park dick extraordinaire, turns into...what, a werewolf? No. No, this can't be happening. This is a nightmare or something, teaching me not to abuse my powers. But no, the howl that emerges from the giant black wolf makes that illusion untenable. The crowd starts running, but I can't. My feet won't move. I know I have to, but I can't. I did it wrong, I did everything wrong, Chloe's going to die and it's all my fault! I killed her!

Someone bumps into me and breaks my paralyzing train of thought. I don't even see who it is, but my mind kicks into action. So I do the only thing I can. With tears burning in the corners of my eyes, I turn, and run for home.

Running Away from my mistake at 2d6-1=2. Well, crap.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 18, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TurninTrix posted:

Manipulate Mia: 2d6+1 9. Alright, what will it take to get proper, non-cryptic answers out of Mia?

Answer: She literally can't. She wants to, she tried to, but something on your end or hers is interfering.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

XP: 0

"What the gently caress, Emmet!?" I shout back in English. Hey, I'm pissed too that she punched you out of the way and started talking to me like a lunatic, but that didn't mean you needed to hit her back! Realizing I'm not going to get a straight answer, I'm about to step up between them and shout for them to stop, loving stop...

Everything just stops, like a moment frozen into a Polaroid snapshot. I feel the creeping, dreadful sensation crawl down my spine before I even know what it means. And it's like, what's going on in front of me doesn't even mean anything anymore. Because I turn around and see what's behind me.

I see the wolf.

Something repressed in my mind wants to tear out and tell me something. Maybe I've seen this before. The pale moonlight. The lean, massive wolf-beast. The blonde boy I dated a year ago(???). I should know this, I think. But I all I can see and feel now is how loving terrifying this creature is. And it just smacks Chloe like she's just nothing.

I don't even ask why she's there. I'm choking inside, trembling like hell. I need to, I want to run before those teeth sink on me and die. But she's in danger. And it takes me all I have just to take a few steps to get in between them and shout, "Chloe, RUN!"

Hold Steady: 2d6-1 1. Has any of these rolls turned out well this session?

Regardless, I'm spending a String I have on Richard, forcing him to Hold Steady too before he can attack while I'm in harm's way.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 18, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

XP: 1, 1 Adv | Harm: 0+1 | Conditions: Terrified, Sucker-punched | Location: Party!

Mia must have been holding back on the first punch. Or perhaps she hit a better point? At any point, her second punch hurts much more than her first--it knocks the breath out of me and sends me doubling over. At least it did not actually cause any bleeding. I am about to retaliate when I hear Melanie shouting at me.

Wait, why is Melanie is screaming at me? Why is she screaming at me and not Mia? She started yelling at her first. I turn to her to explain this--that is this not what step-siblings do?--when I notice it.

Melanie is not looking at me anymore. Nor is Mia. Nor is anybody else.

They are looking at...

"Ah...Melanie...what is that?!"

Everybody hold steady! Hold Steady, Oh God Wolf!: 2d6 5...okay that didn't work.

"S--s--should we run?!"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chloe, Old Scratchy Throat speaks to you directly for the first loving time in memory. GIVE ME YOUR WORD THAT YOU WILL DESTROY A HOME IN FIRE AND SMOKE. It's hard to tell if he's enraged or pleased. Hell, you're not even sure if he's speaking in English. What do you do?

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.

Harm: 1 XP: 7 (1 from Unstable)

The Beast has officially taken over. The heady cocktail of booze, hormones, and wolf instincts came back to bite Richard straight in the rear end, and is now officially shaking his psyche like a rag doll. The transformation completed itself to the tune of screaming teenagers, and so The Beast stood. The female that smelled of its kind was now standing in between it and the competitor, feebly attempting to defend her apparent mate. This was pointless, the female should know better than to attempt to get in the way of the dominant male. With a single swipe The Beast shoves the female out of the way, attempting to leave her out of the conflict. After all, she's no good ripped to shreds. This was a duel, a challenge for the right to mate, and The Beast intended to win this with every bit of savagery it had.

With that, The Beast reared back and let out a savage growl. It then came back down, jaws open and swinging down around the interloper's shoulder. It grips the interloper in its powerful jaws and lifts the body off of the ground, shaking its head side to side to disorient the challenger. It then spits the interloper out, throwing the challenger's body to the ground. The Beast begins to approach once more.

Hold Steady: 2d6-1 4 I made an error in rolling though, since I roll Volatile from Bare Your Fangs. That is supposed to be a +2, which makes that a 7.
Lash Out Physically: 2d6+2 11 Oh jesus. Yeah uh, greater harm, so I deal +1 harm this attack. Oh and another string.

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 25, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Chloe Caraway; 4 XP; 1 Harm; 2 Dark Power Strings

"Fine! I'll burn down a loving house, just help me out here!" I have no idea if anyone else can hear what I'm hearing, but I don't really give a poo poo at this point. The smoke from the discarded cigarette starts to coil up, reaching its tendrils toward me..

Wait, what the gently caress was she doing? "Mel, get out of its loving way, you--" I reach for her to try and shove her aside, but before I can, Whiskey Dick does it for me. And then the world is spinning end over end, and there's this loving horrible pain in my shoulder. I go flying, I guess, and land in a heap by the stage. I can't move -- I can barely think. But the one thing I keep repeating over and over in my head makes its way out between my teeth in a strangled, unintelligible sentence.

"...king fix this, rear end in a top hat." Then the smoke reaches me, surging in through my nose and mouth to loving flood my senses with power. That weird tingling goes away instantly. Better, so does the horrible bite on my shoulder -- knits up all good as knew, smokey tendrils slipping in and out to sew up the gash and the broken collar bone. So when I get back to my feet, you better believe I feel loving strong.

This time when Whiskey Dick comes at me, I'm ready for him. I duck to the side, grab hold of one hairy arm, and throw the hairy motherfucker right into the stage. I'll pay for all this later; keep this poo poo up and it'll be a hell of a lot worse than just burning a house down. But goddammit, I just threw a loving werewolf like he weighed nothing!

The smoke that seems to wreath Chloe's body seems to pulse with palpable excitement. As she stares at the spot where she threw her opponent, her eyes almost seem to have taken on a yellow gleam. With the people still screaming and running for their lives, though, it's hard to tell for sure.

I gave the Poisoner a string to heal two harm, and another to add 2 to my Lash Out Physically roll there.
Lash Out Physically at Richard: 2d6+4=11 I'll take a string on him. I am Unknowable, so he loses a string on me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Richard, as you hit the stage, you feel something beneath you snap. Not just literally, though. Molten pain courses across your back, as the jury-rigged setup bursts into electric flame under you. You just took 2-harm. What do you do?

Chloe, you took 3-harm, which is mitigated to 1-harm. Richard's got the next move, though.

Melanie, you take 2-harm as Richard bats you out of the way. Then he's sailing over you, and Chloe is loving cloaked by smoke (did she just throw him?), and some idiot is still standing around with their phone up, slackjawed terror apparently not being enough to keep them from recording the moment. Mia's gone. What do you do?

Bella, you scrambled into the back of somebody's truck as it peeled away from ground zero. It's only a minute later when somebody slams you facefirst into the bed, yelling something incoherently. It only takes a minute for people to remember their grudges, it seems. You take 1-harm.

Emmet, you lost track of Denise and Melanie in the sudden craziness; Denise's friend seemed like she had a plan, so you followed her. Now she's getting beat up pretty viciously in the back of the pickup you both caught the tailgate of by some guy you don't know from Adam. What do you do?

Guy, tell us what your first impression of the trailer park is. Jenny meets you at the door of one of them, giving you a nervous smile. "Hey, come on in." An older female is passed out on a ratty couch, but you don't get a good look at her, because Jenny pulls you down the trailer into her small room. "Sorry about my mother, she's..." She doesn't finish the sentence. What do you do?

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

XP: 0 | Adv: 1 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: Psychopath | Location: The Beck Residence

I’m in wondrous awe. The trailer park is nothing I could have imagined. I originally thought all humans lived in wasteful housing structures like my own, but here it is not the case. Here everything is so much smaller. It’s more compact. It’s much more space efficient, and I’m momentarily stunned by the ideal design and ingenuity of it all. Once we subjugate the planet, we can convert all domiciles to something more akin to this.

Of course there’s always room for improvement of which I immediately see. We’ll have to pack them in tighter. The lot size and front door area are far too excessive. Maybe we could even stack them on top of each other? There will have to be strict limits on occupancy for safety reasons judging from the high numbers residing in some of these aluminum-based enclosures. We’re not an entirely cruel people. We’ve learned from our past mistakes. A working caste must be treated with a modicum of benevolence and respect after all.

Not thinking much of her lone unconscious parental unit, I gleefully follow Jenny’s lead into her perfectly sized quarters and recline on the large rectangular cushion as invited. This is actually quite soft and nice! I decided that every unit in my expanded “trailer park” complex shall have one. In fact, we should get one of these for our house. I feel relaxed, and almost at ease here. So I open my bag and pull out my notes along with that oh so vital package of licorice. Taking a piece for myself, I generously offer her one as well.

Turn Them On: 2d6+1 4

OOC: Carrying over from my other games, that’s biff count 6 now, woe is me :(

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 2 | Harm: 1 | Conditions; Lying Bitch

So there I am, in the back of some truck, crying and hugging myself and generally ignoring the world. At least I managed to get out, right? To live on with the fact that I just killed somebody. Just great, Bella. You did just great. The only, only comfort I have is that nobody saw me do it - so nobody's going to arrest me.

And then my nose is to the bed and everything hurts. I yell on reflex and taste blood in my mouth. Bit my tongue? Probably. Somebody's yelling but I don't make it out until he comes closer. "This is for Francis, bitch!" In a brief moment of clarity through the pain I recognize the voice. Harold. Another of Francis' cronies. Had I not seen him get in the truck? Guess not. Too preoccupied. Still, I'm not gonna let him rail on me. My grief disappears and is replaced with anger. I thrust my leg out, hoping to kick him off me, but I feel no resistance. Half in frustration, half in pain, I cry out. "Let me go!"

Lash Out Physically at 2d6-1=3. Swing and a miss!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

XP: 0; Harm: 2

When I come, I feel nothing but the pain at the side of my skull and my back. I get up from where I knocked over, when I realize that I'm between two shattered halves of a cheap, plastic table. My head feels... light, yet the ratting keeps going and doesn't seem to stop. I run my hand across the wetness in my hair and they trace blood. My blood. The wolf... did this to me, did it?

And just then, I see the wolf fly over to the stage like it was nothing. And in the midst of everyone else clearing straight of there, I see Chloe. And I see her beautiful, golden eyes and the smoke that wraps her form like another extension of her. My own mouth tastes of smoke again.

Hold Steady Against Chloe: 2d6-1 2

The fear inside me renews itself with a vengeance.

I try to act and my body shivers and moves like I'm not even in control. Stark terror drives me to turn away... crawl backward, as if this broken table could protect me. And could I blame myself? I... can't take this anymore. I just wanted to get away from everything. From Tylers and the class. That creepy old man. Mia and the wolf. Everyone wants to hurt me tonight. And I'm looking at the only person who's made any sense to me this entire night and I don't even know what the gently caress she is now!

I have to turn away from her. I look down at the ground, shuddering as my tears come down, mixing with the blood trickling down my forehead. And then... I lose myself.

Gaze into the Abyss: 2d6+2 6

Was going to ask the abyss what is Chloe supposed to be, but... wow. Could I spend a string I have on her to make that a 7? If so, I'm going with "the visions are lucid and detailed but they leave you with the Condition drained".

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

XP: 1, 1 Adv | Harm: 1+1 | Conditions: Terrified, Sucker-punched | Location: Fleeing the Party

Where is Mia? Where is Melanie? Everyone is screaming--and the wolf is coming this way! I find myself screaming to, and run after one of the classmates I recognize, at least vaguely. I watch her jump into the rear cargo area of a pickup truck, and while I know I am not supposed to do that, I jump in after her, stepping on the same spot on the bumper...although not landing quite in the same spot on the bed. The truck drives off and I bounce about in the backseat with...

I know the young woman is Bella, but who is the other man on the cargo bed? And...why is he attacking Bella?! Who is Francis?! What is happening?!

Suddenly the same instinct that caused me to punch Mia rears its head again. Maybe it is Bella yelling at him to let her go, but I suddenly rush over, even as the truck becomes more turbulent, and shove the man, hard, against the truck wall.

Let's hit someone again! Lash out Physically at Bella's Attacker: 2d6+1 9 Er, okay, I'll let him harm me again.

He shoves me back and I hit the truck bed just as hard. Ungh!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guy, she takes it and smiles. Success. You will have to keep this strategy in mind, it seems. Then you feel it. This isn't of your people's making. Something else in this town

images flash by. A gathering interrupted by fire and a large predator you've only seen in films, a girl you know her as classmate designate Bella who binds something you cannot detect with her thoughts, the construct Emmet flees from the scene

is at work. And it rightly calls you interloper.
Child of the stars. Get out.
This place is mine.

OOC: Take a string on Bella, and the condition Skinbound

Jenny is looking at you strangely. "Are... are you alright?" You do not know if her expression signals concern or disgust or fear. Your skin feels far, far too tight. What do you do?

Bella, stars spring up in your eyes as the guy kicks you in the head. Darkness pulls at the edges, then obscures it all. You feel the bed below you. You're not unconscious. Then the vision comes.

A puppet stage springs up from nothingness. Overhead, an unearthly light casts stark shadows against the backdrop it's the town pale symbols in a cipher you've seen it before tracing across the buildings. The puppets descend from the miniature rafters, all of them the same withered figure. The light is burning holes the backdrop where the symbols linger. The water rises past your ankles, and you realize your feet are going numb. You cannot move. The water rises. The water rises. The water rises, to meet the flickering flame. You cannot move.

OOC: Take 1-harm

At some point you realize you can see again, and are no longer being attacked. Denise's new friend has saved you, sort of. Looks like he could use a bit of saving himself now. What do you do?

Emmet, as your head hits the truck wall, you see

A girl she knows you asking you for a promise the smallest of favors
Another girl the smoke tangles around her, obscuring her features giving you a ride begrudgingly
The girl you just tried to save, whispering, a noose drawing tight and yet a tendril of smoke escapes

OOC: Take 1-harm.

Your eyes clear, and the guy is winding up for a good boot to the ribs. What do you do?

Melanie, fear gives way to despair and an urgent need to understand what is going on why is this happening what is she

the right place the right time the right circumstances the wrong girl but just an obstruction
the smoke has a hundred golden eyes, each of them speak of corruption and destruction
the smoke has a hundred ragged mouths, each of them glint with memories of things put to the pyre
you cough you cannot stop coughing, smoke boils out of your throat your lungs are on fire

Somebody is dragging you away as you cough out smoke. It is the girl who was taking pictures with her cameraphone. A blonde girl in eye-searing pink. "Come on, come on, get up, I'm not strong enough", she's babbling. The wolf and the girl face each other down, each waiting for the other to make the first move, each unwilling to give the other an opening. "Come on!" What do you do?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 2+1 | Harm: 2 | Conditions; Lying Bitch

My head is swimming. What the gently caress? I never had a vision before. I mean, I know they happen sometimes, mom's told me one of our ancestors was a soothsayer, but wow. Never thought they'd be so disorienting. I take a deep breath through my nose to center myself, and see Harold about to kick my savior in the ribs. "No!" I shout, and hope to god I remembered my lessons right.

See, spellcasting is not always a ritual with a focus. In times of need, a witch can rely on words of power to achieve the same effect. The problem is that you have to hold someone's gaze to get the spell to work. Eyes are the window of the soul, and all that. So it's only used as a last resort, because you're pretty much revealing yourself directly to the enemy. But I'm pretty sure this counts as a last fuckin' resort. I lurch over to Harold and grab his face to hold him as I speak to him in hidden words of the ancient tongue. I don't know if Emmet hears me, but I don't care. How much worse can this night get, anyway?

I let go when I'm done and collapse back in the other end of the truckbed, as far away from Harold as I can get. I know I'm crying, but everything hurts so I don't even care that I'm appearing as a terrible mess. I just want to go home and forget.

Hex on Harold at 2d6+2=8. Binding so he can't kick our poo poo in.
- It has unexpected side effects.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

XP: 1, 1 Adv | Harm: 2 | Conditions: Terrified, Sucker-punched | Location: Fleeing the Party

I have been told that people hit sufficiently hard see stars as their vision recovers. I seem to be blessed, perhaps cursed, with the ability to see women. The first one is...someone asking me for a...oh god, I know her! Iris, Iris wait! What do you want from me? Come back! She leaves...she always leaves...and in her place comes someone else, different, wreathed in smoke. I do not see her clearly, but I only know two women who smoke like that...and she is much too severe looking to be Leela. She fades away too, replaced with--Bella! What is she whispering, and why is that noose--

Oh. Oh! I understand!

I see the other man winding back to hurt me again. He seems to be stopped in mid-motion, as if considering whether he wants to actually extend his leg or not.

"Bella," I manage to ask, with a bit of a groan. "Did you do that?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

XP: 0; Harm: 2; Conditions: Drained

My throat and lungs burn, as if I'm swallowing a lit cigarette. The fire is nowhere close to me, yet I choke and gasp for air. All I spit out is smoke. That same smoke surrounding her that moment.

Yes, I remember now. It's now trying to worm into me, as well.

I pull myself up with the girl's help, coughing all the way. These things I keep seeing, they have to mean something. I can't be dreaming for this long. I don't want to believe that I'm going insane. Someone's toying with me. Maybe toying with my memories too. I need to find out.

I glance at the girl's cameraphone, with a girl in smoke and a werewolf in fullscreen. Makes me think of the date photos I have with Chloe in my blog, my only anchor to what happened last year. I need evidence of tonight. Pictures won't lie to me.

"Thanks, but I need that phone." I say, snatching it from her hand. I glare at her while blood trickles down my forehead and the stage lights up in flames behind me, impressing on her that I don't want to explain why.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

XP: 1 | Adv: 1 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: Psychopath, Skinbound | Location: The Beck Residence

An abrupt searing pain rips through one of many auxiliary cerebral cortex nodes bringing with it a highly disorganized mental vision of sorts. Classmate designate Bella! She’s manipulating free floating space-time energies. Methods unknown. How is that even possible for a human? I wince in obvious distress as I attempt to process the influx of images and compensate for this completely unexpected psychic sneak attack. There’s a presence here. It’s intelligent, powerful, and in my loving mind. Classification immediate threat priority ultra high! Uh oh, what’s happening to my shell?

Hold Steady: 2d6+1 4

There’s an odd sense of growing dread. I find it suddenly difficult to breathe. I’m gasping for more of that oxygen-nitrogen gaseous mixture. My limbs feel taut, lethargic, and restrained. It’s like this bio-recombinated casing is constricting...on its own! In a panic, I reach behind my right ear and tap the emergency unlock sequence into the sub-dermal control pad. It’s not responding! By the One Computer, it’s not responding! And my terror only increases. I look over and there is sharp metallic instrument on the miniaturized table nearby. I snatch it and bring to bear on my leg. Let me out of this thing! Let me out!!

OOC: Biff count 7. So tired of failing every single roll. My suggestion for hard move is I self-inflict 1 harm on myself maybe? I don’t really want to rip out of my skin suit.

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

XP: 8, Harm: 3

The interloper...suddenly proved itself to be much stronger than it appeared to be.

The Beast was suddenly flung through the air and onto some platform nearby. Suddenly the sounds of cracking wood and loose electricity fill The Beast's ears, and pain shoots up his back. Intense, searing, fire-y pain. The Beast's instincts kick into overdrive, and much whelping and frantic tossing commences. After thrashing about in the dirt for long enough, The Beast manages to put out the flames. It decides that now it's perhaps a good idea to get away from the interloper, since it obviously has powers that were not expected.

Running. So much running. Running through trees, running through cars, running away from the fight. The Beast had clearly lost, and in its blind pain Richard began to wake up. After the delirious running through the forest, The Beast laid its shoulder against a nearby tree. That is when Richard grabbed the reins and claimed his rightful place in his own mind. He saw through wolf's eyes the forest around him. The numbness of his back is only occasionally broken by the pain of raw muscle being brushed by air. Where the gently caress is he, and more importantly, where the gently caress can he even go now?

Running Away: 2d6+2 10

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Richard, you find yourself by a pond. This place has a name. After a moment, you remember it. Janet's Foss. Something tells you that you're not quite alone here. But nobody followed you. What do you do?

Melanie, the girl grabs your wrist, tries to take the phone back. "Hey, give that back! I just saved your rear end!" What do you do?

Bella, Harold teeters and falls over. He seems stuck. Not paralyzed, frozen. His eyes don't move, he's not breathing, he's like a statue. Emmet's asking questions. What do you do?

Guy, Jenny shrieks. "Oh my god! Oh god, gently caress, poo poo, I don't know what to do..." She backs off as you flail in your frantic attempts to relieve the pressure. The pain in your leg shocks you into stillness for a moment.OOC: she thinks you're having/had a seizure or something. What do you do?

Chloe, soooooooooo. What do you do now?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

XP: 3 | Harm: 2 | Conditions; Lying Bitch

Now that I'm not being assaulted or disoriented from magic visions, I finally notice where we are. I bang my hand on the rear of the cabin. "Hey! Stop the truck, I wanna get out!" My house is only a few blocks away, should be easy to get home and lick my wounds. But then I see Harold. Not moving. gently caress. I messed it up! Mispronounced the word again. Okay, I...I can fix it. Mom made sure of that back when I messed up that girl in the same way - always know how to fix your messes. So I slide over to Harold again and look in his frozen eyes. "I do not appreciate being attacked." I don't really know how intimidating I'm being, because I probably look like poo poo, but...well, might as well take care of an opportunity, right? "Be smart. Stay away from me." And I focus for a moment to recall the reversing spell.

I don't see an immediate effect. Did I do it right? I think I did. Well, whatever. I'm tired, and hurting. The spell will probably wear off in a few moments. I did my best, ma. Don't be mad. Soon as the truck stops, I slowly crawl over the edge, then turn back to Emmet. I've kind of ignored his question. "I owe you one, for pulling him off me. Thanks - Emmet, right?" I pause for a moment, clenching my fist and opening it again to avoid picking at myself and looking awkward. "I'm...going home. To patch myself up. Do you uh - do you need some help with that?" I gesture at his head, where a bump has started to form. "You can come along. If you want. I probably have some ice for that."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

XP: 1+1, 1 Adv: +1 Hot | Harm: 2 | Conditions: Terrified, Sucker-punched | Location: Fleeing the Party

I watch as Bella calls for the truck to stop...very aggressively. Are you supposed to communicate with the driver like that? Then she leans over to Harold and mutters something in his face. Maybe she did do that. And that would be her loosening her noose. Harold groans a bit as Bella crawls out of the cab. My attention on him is suddenly diverted by her voice.

"Hmm?" She seems...very polite. Not really like Chloe, or even Melanie. "Oh, um, no trouble!" I stand up, smile, and scratch the back of my head. For some reason I notice the moon behind me--it is not a very cloudy night at all. "I do not care for men hitting women. Yes, my name is Emmet." She explains what she wants to do, and points at my head. The hand that was behind my head suddenly flies to that spot. There is a bump there? "Er...yes, I would like that! Thank you!"

I must confess that I am not quite certain how it happened, but I felt something...change. I could feel the moonlight on my back, and I was suddenly aware that I was making a very striking image in the dim light. As if I were posing as an artist's model...or a fashion model. Maybe Dr. Dabrowsky had left the channel on one romance too many?

I'm going to take +1 Hot for Emmet's first advance and roll to turn on Bella! Turn on Bella: 2d6 8 Okay Wahad, your call.

Did I...mean to do that?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 8, 2013

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Chloe Caraway; 5 XP; 0 Harm; 3 Dark Power Strings

"Yeah, you better loving run, rear end in a top hat!" I stare after him for a long, hard moment. As I do that, I feel the rest of the wound knit itself up. The smoke finally begins to dissipate, and as it does I'm left momentarily staggered. I blink stupidly for a second, before I remember:

"Oh, poo poo, Mel!" Whirling around, I find her, apparently getting into a thing with another girl? Christ, and people say I can't loving go anywhere without starting a fight. I march up to them, in no mood for any more bullshit. "Hey," I say to blondey. "I am starting to get really tired of shrill bitches loving with my girlfriend tonight, so could you gently caress off?"

Shut her down: 2d6-1=5. Nope. I mark experience again, though. I'll decide what advancement to take later.

Gazetteer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 8, 2013

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I use the moment of distraction to wrench Blondey's hand away from my wrist. As much amazingly relieved (and wary) I am that Chloe looks fine, I toss the phone for her to catch.

"Keep it." I tell Chloe, before I turn to the other girl. "I need the phone and what you recorded. Sorry." Staring at her again, I wipe some of the blood off my forehead. "Just... step off, please. Because if you want it back, you're gonna get through someone who just threw a werewolf on stage."

Shut Her Down + Mess With Me, Mess With Her: 2d6+1 6 Wow, really?

Chloe gets to take a String on me, anyway.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

...wow. Turns out, even battered and bruised, people can look good. Really, really good. I can feel the heat rising in my cheeks as I watch Emmet, framed by the moonlight, get out of the truck. Does that make me a sadist? Whatever, there's no time for this. I'm just going to give him some ice, maybe a bandage. That's it. I turn around, wincing as the pain distracts me from that other feeling. I don't know if he saw me look at him that way. I hope not. But, it doesn't matter, right? He's gay, after all. That's what the word around town is. I have nothing to be worried about at all. "Come on, then. It's this way."

I'll let Emmet take a string.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

XP: 2, Adv: +1 Hot | Harm: 2 | Conditions: Terrified, Sucker-punched | Location: Fleeing the Party

Thank you very much, Bella!

I ease myself out of the truck gingerly, my head suddenly feeling very tender now that Bella has pointed it out. It is difficult to notice, but Bella seems hurt as well. This will be impossible to explain to Dr. Dabrowsky, but I should help her too.

"Thank you," I pant as I straighten up on the road. "You seem hurt yourself. Should you take care of yourself first?"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bella, nobody's home. Looks like Seth is out wandering. Tell us what the place is like. What do you do?

Emmet, what's one odd thing you notice about Bella's home? What do you do? Once you get some care for your injuries you can lose the sucker-punched condition.

Chloe, Melanie, the girl folds her arms. "I know what I loving saw. I want answers. Give me my phone back and start talking, or I'm going to find my answers somewhere else." She amends, almost as an afterthought, "Or you can try to break me, I guess." She seems pretty confident she's got your number. Or maybe she's got a hell of a poker face. She takes a string on both of you. What do you do?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

My living room is pretty standard, all things considered. Mom - and by extension myself - don't like to keep our mystical business out in the open. We keep that behind locked doors, in our private rooms. So the living room holds two couches, one big, extremely comfortable leather chair with a few pillows (my favorite, by the way), a coffee table and a few accessories. Mom's fond of plants, so we probably have a few more of those than most, and a few more exotic than most, but it's not a jungle. A TV stands opposite of the biggest couch. It's not one of those super hi-tech huge flatscreens, but it serves. Anyway, I gesture at the couch as I lead Emmet in. "Sit down. I'll go get some ice and the first-aid kit."

I move to the kitchen for it. Our kitchen is small, but then we don't need to serve a lot of people, so it's just big enough. As the adrenaline slowly fades from my body, I can feel myself shaking from the pent-up tension, even as I open the fridge. It makes the bottles and jars jingle. Ignoring it pointedly, I take an ice tray from the freezer and empty it slowly in a plastic bag. Closing the bag up and wrapping it in a towel goes just as slowly, and I don't stop shaking, but it helps calm me down a bit, anyway. I don't really pay attention, either way, and before I know it I'm back in the living room. "Hell of a party, huh?" I smile half-heartedly at him, but my heart isn't in it. "I'm guessing this isn't what you signed up for when Denise in--"

Denise.

Horror and shock returns to me as the name - and with it, the memories of the horrible events - come rushing back to me. My eyes widen, and I all but throw the ice-towel at Emmet's face as I drop the first-aid kit and fall to my knees, scrambling for my purse. My phone takes entirely too long to find its way into my hands, and it takes entirely too long to find Denise's number in my contact list. The dial tone draws out into an agonizing eternity, and I catch myself mumbling. "C'mon, Denise, pick up, pick up, please pick up..."

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

XP: 8 Harm: 3

Well...at least there's water here. Richard almost immediately proceeds to dive in, because owww this god drat burn on his back. Exposing flesh that has at least second-degree burns to water of questionable sanitation is probably not the best idea, but then again so isn't...well half of the poo poo that happened today. With a splash, Richard's gigantic body is tossed into the pond, submerged for just a moment. He comes up for air after a moment, looking around the pond with an uncontrollable glare. Richard is pissed and he can't quite tell why. All he knows is that something...or someone is looking at him. He swims over to a shallower part of the pond and stands up in it, the water now reaching just a little above his elbows.

This whole night was loving weird. Everything was wrong. As his mind cooled off, the events that The Beast had seen began to slip in, like light through the cracks in a door-frame. The smokestack can apparently...do something with smoke? The gently caress, is this Lost now? So she has a smoke monster that she controls, that poo poo is messed up. But more importantly, why didn't she just, I dunno, kick him in the balls? She seemed like she was gonna until he blacked out.

In frustration, Richard swung his head up towards the evening sky. He was about to howl, but for a moment he was lost in the blackness of the sky, the shining of the stars. He stared into the great vastness of space, captivated as if in a meditative trance. Then he realized just what he was doing and shook his head. "...grrr, the gently caress am I doing. This is ridiculous."

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6-1 6

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Chloe Caraway; 0 XP; 0 Harm; 3 Dark Power Strings

The cocky little poo poo barely finishes her sentence before I slam my fist straight into her nose. No demon smoke powers or superstrength or anything behind it -- but I know how to loving punch a bitch out. "I'll just break your nose for now. We'll see about the rest some other time."

Lash Out Physically: 2d6+2=12. I'll pick "needs to hold steady to retaliate this scene." Also, I'm Unknowable, so she loses that string she just took.

I ignore the blonde after that -- I'm pretty confident she's not going to gently caress with us now. So I move over to put an arm around Melanie -- more to support her than to cop a feel or anything. She's looking pretty loving banged up, and I feel bad for being too busy hitting people to say anything about it earlier. I start leading her to my car. "I'm really sorry about all this bullshit," I mutter, wanting to keep the conversation a bit private. Given the general panic around us, that's probably unnecessary. "Are you okay? We can go somewhere, have a look at those bruises and talk about... a few things. Or, I can just take you home." It would be pretty understandable if she didn't want to have anything else to do with me after today.

Right, and I need to burn down a house. And I'll need to figure out what the hell was up with me freezing like that. gently caress.

I'll use one of my move-from-another-skin advances to take Bare Your Fangs.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

When Chloe suddenly strikes the girl, I don't even flinch anymore. I just look down at the blonde, probably now bleeding as much as I am, and leave her be. Honestly, she should have listened.

After all that excitement, my body suddenly feels limp and exhausted. Chloe helps me back to her car and I can't help but lean very close to her. Even while knowing there's some smoke creature creeping inside her body. Flashes of that vision come back to me. It called me the wrong girl. An obstruction. It tried to choke me to death.

Well, I'm not going away so easily. The girl's cellphone rings. I take back the phone from Chloe, and turn off the volume.

"No, let's talk. Let's talk about everything that just happened."

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

XP: 2 | Adv: 1 | Harm: 0 | Conditions: Psychopath, Skinbound | Location: The Beck Residence

The stabbing jolt of pain returns me to a less panicked and much more focused state of mind. There’s an airy sense of relief as if a critical pressure valve has been released. And then I realize what I’ve done. Excrement of a Yrdizian work beast! My shell has been punctured. There’s a minute trickle of black insulating fluid from the point of entry. And already one of my hundreds of actual tentacles is unconsciously attempting to worm itself up through the wound.

I slam my hand over my leg and throw on my cheeriest faux smile. “Everything is alright! There is no need for alarm.” I try to assuage my worrisome friend. With my other hand I dig out that roll of duct tape from my bag. See, I knew this might be handy. Just need to patch myself up and we’re back to business, I pray to the One Computer and all of its glorious transistors.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

XP: 2, Adv: +1 Hot | Harm: 2 | Conditions: Terrified, Sucker-punched | Location: Fleeing the Party

Wahad, give me a shout if this thing Emmet is noticing is too weird.

At Bella's suggestion, I ease myself onto the couch, fold my hands in my lap, and wait patiently as Bella goes into the kitchen to retrieve medical supplies. Once she leaves the room, I begin looking around. She lives in a big house; it could probably encompass the entirety of Dr. Dabrowsky's apartment twice over...although perhaps that is just a side effect of the art that he keeps in the main room. Some of the plants are strange, and most of the furniture--especially the television--is much larger than I am familiar with, but I find myself drawn to the rug that the coffee table sits on. It has a fairly simple design, made of concentric circles with abstract designs...but there is a very subtle symbol woven into the third circle out, in yellow thread. Another circle with a dot inside. Sol, the symbol of gold. Right off of my Master's tables of alchemical formulae. It takes a bit more effort, but soon I can see the rest of the symbols--the silver moon, the copper Venus, the quicksilver Mercury. All colored in such a way as to make the rug resemble an illuminated illustration. How very strange, in this unfamiliar house, to have such familiar symbols right beneath my feet.

Bella soon returns with a towel wrapped around something and a bright red bag, and I open my mouth to ask her about her rug, when she suddenly throws the towel at me and scrambles at her feet, grabbing her phone out of her bag. I manage to catch the towel inches from my face. It is quite cold; not an unpleasant sensation. As she pointed out while we were still outside, I place the pack on top of my head, still staring at her and the rug. Part of me wonders...

...wait, was that my Master there, admiring the alchemy design as well? The head shape certainly looks familiar. He does not turn to me, but I find myself asking silently anyways.

"I want to return her favor. How can I help her?"

Let's Gaze into the Abyss and ask his Master about Bella! 2d6+1=7 I choose clear visions, but take drained.

My head involuntarily leans to the side against the couch's armrest. Maybe that party took more out of me than I thought?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Nothing. The dial-tone fades one last time, and brings up Denise's voicemail. "Hiiiii, it's Denise, I'm busy being awesome, leave a message!" gently caress. I want to curse. I want to cry. I want to scream. So now I didn't just kill Chloe, Denise's body is on me too? How is this fair? Wait, no. No, I can't think like that. She probably just lost her phone in the chaos, right? Right. Totally right. I'll check up on her tomorrow morning. Yes. I hang up, and drop the phone back into my purse. What a mess. Were it any other night, I'd crawl into bed and not do anything for a week. But I have company. I have a guest. So I take a slow, careful breath, and compose myself.

Medical attention, right. I pick up the kit again, and open it up on the table. There's a little mirror in the lid of the box, and I look at myself. It's not too bad. It hurts, yeah. I have a black eye the size of an onion, and when I roll up my sleeves I see a bunch of minor cuts and scrapes on my arm, from where I fell on it. My back hurts, too, but nothing feels broken, at least. That's good. I have a throbbing headache, now that adrenaline is no longer supressing the pain, but a brief examination reveals no bleeding. Also good. Looks like I got lucky. Small comforts, I guess. Looking back up to Emmet, his head has lolled to the side a bit, and he looks tired. "...Emmet? Are you okay?" poo poo, what if he has a concussion? I can't take him to the hospital, I don't even have my license yet!

Naw, that's perfect.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Richard, you slip. Was the footing so unsure a moment before? As you fall into the water, you hear a feminine voice. "You were not supposed to return, dog boy." You can't seem to find the bottom anymore. Up and down become abstract concepts. "You knew what would happen." Something snares your arm. The voice continues, playfully ruthless. "I was told you were willful. I guess this is how your tragedy ends?" Then suddenly, a moment of silence. "Wait. You are not him. Go." You break the surface. The pool is only a couple feet deep here. The night is silent, except for your spluttering and coughing. Your head feels strange, clouded. Your thoughts feel as though they sink into darkness before they fully take form. Take the condition Drowned Thoughts. You're still in the water. What do you do?

Guy, Jenny looks at you, still difficult to read. "Uh, are you okay? Do you need to go to the hospital?" What do you do?

Emmet, the Master suddenly turns to face you, his hand darting across the distance to latch unto your arm. His lips work, but no sound comes out. Still, the words are plain as day. "Trust her." His hand is cold. Very cold. You feel as though you will never be warm again. He's shaking you. Bella is gently shaking you by the shoulder. You still feel chilled to the bone. What do you do?

Bella, Emmet spaced out on you there for a moment. His skin feels cool. Not clammy though. He's as dry as a bone. Then he rouses from his disorientation. Reverie? Trance? What do you do?

Chloe, Melanie, I'll let you guys have a moment to talk while you drive wherever you're going. Just a mechanics note. NPCs can't be forced to Hold Steady because they can't use moves. I'll give her the condition Terrified instead in this case.

Gazetteer
Nov 22, 2011

Chloe Caraway; 0 XP; 0 Harm; 3 Dark Power Strings

Okay, I was thinking that it would force her to act at a disadvantage instead.

I help Melanie into the passenger seat of the car, and climb in behind the wheel. It's a bit tricky pulling out amid all the fleeing people and poo poo, but I manage. It's at this point I realise I'm leaving behind all my equipment; goddammit. Hopefully, Devon will grab it for me. Dude drives a van after all. When we finally get onto the proper road again, I'm out of excuses to put things off.

"I'm not loving normal," I say bluntly. "Yeah, you probably noticed that -- I'm not turning into a loving furry monster or any bullshit like that, but I'm still not normal." I give Melanie a sidelong look. "Do you believe in like... ghosts and spirits and poo poo like that?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

XP: 2, Adv: +1 Hot | Harm: 2 | Conditions: Terrified, Sucker-punched, Drained | Location: Bella's House

Trust Bella? Trust her with what, Master? She has not asked me to keep secrets. Or do you want me to tell her mine--

My thought process is suddenly interrupted by Bella holding my shoulder. With one hand on my temple, I look her in the eyes.

"Ah-aaah...I am alright! Nothing to worry about! Just a little tired from running from that party, I suppose...heh."

Something seems off about her eye; it is bruised and swollen. I am not completely unlearned in first aid--I have had to help my Master a few times before...the end. It takes a bit of fumbling, but I manage to get a hold of the cold towel and offer it to her.

"Oh, here. You seem to need this more..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I try to stay awake and listen, even though I'm getting tired. The pain starts to dull into something I can almost ignore, at least.

"I... yeah, I guess?" After a brief pause, I add. "I've... had one of these weird ghost experiences before, the kind you read online. Thought it was just superstition to cross that one pass that night. Didn't feel like it when some shadow girl terrorized my friends, then tried to hold me with her cold hands before she vanished."

I didn't sleep for weeks after that. Almost forgot about it too, but I guess a night like this brought out the worst things in me.

It takes a longer pause before I get the nerve to ask.

"You have something in you, right?" I turn to Chloe. "After that wolf knocked me flat, I... think I saw it."

• Locked thread