Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well hell yeah. I'm glad to see you back. BAK owns, your initial thread owned, your only failing was not finishing. Looks like you're solving that too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

quote:

At this rate we're going to have to retitle the thread "Resolving to select skills in 2013: Let's play Betrayal at Krondor"

Kinda sad you didn't go with this (from the old thread) - now the real acid test is, in the time between then and now have you mastered skill selection? :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Nice to see this back. Been a while so am I remembering right that they switch characters around every chapter, so we'll be seeing new guys in the next update?

Not every chapter but yeah, there are more than three playable characters.

also Pug doesn't take any poo poo, despite having THE WRONG HAIR COLOR :mad:
my immersion

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

quote:

Right now we are inside the palace, and this woman wearing her bathrobe is looking placidly at us. Might as well say hello. It's what Locklear would have done.

I guess it's rose tinted glasses but I never really thought about how amateur renfaire the costumes were. Despite making fun of them earlier it's just ... agh. Everywhere!

It's awesome though so I don't really mind.

ALSO: Pug has brown hair. It's literally in the second paragraph of Magician. He isn't some blonde dork (that's someone else) and Arutha is described as being rapierlike (guess what his preferred weapon is?) - tall, rangy, dark hair, clean shaven, etc.

Honestly Dynamix with critical errors like your casting how can I take this seriously? :v:

Snugglecakes posted:

James is kind of 'Meh' overall. His speed is good but that melee score needs improvement. The only place where he really stands out is his lockpicking ability.

Just select all his skills, that'll speed it right up :getin:

And yeah, with his native speed and some melee training you can turn him into a real powerhouse. He can just charge across half the combat zone and one-hit enemies with enough training and a better sword.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well nobody can be as awesome as Gorath. That's just a fact.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I thought I posted this? Oh well.
Option C: Go via Crydee.

This may require game mods. I believe in you, Snugglecakes.

e: take the direct route, for serious. Malac's Cross has cool town music, if I remember right.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 10, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snugglecakes posted:

Unfortunately googling 'Betrayal at Krondor Crydee Mod' doesn't come up with anything. :(

I meant making one for yourself. What kind of dedication are you bringing to this thread? :v:

Honestly I have no idea how moddable this game is. Simple stuff like hacking your current quantity of gold is easy (and in fairness, that can solve a lot of problems) but beyond that? No idea.

Even without cheating I remember more than once doing some min-max stat gain on armorcraft and weaponsmithing to repair and sell off all the early chapter 1 loot - alllll of it - to get that greatsword in Yabon before getting to Krondor. Throw that on Gorath and it's funtimes for all.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It shouldn't take that long to put a video up of you uninstalling Antara, right? That's a good enough LP for me. In 2014, when you finish this thread, because we're all terrible people making you take the long way around everything. You think the scenic route is bad this chapter.... :v:

I never played Return to Krondor - missed it when it was new, figured it didn't live up to BAK when I saw it on GOG.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gnomes, basically. They're referred to in Magician which is also where Rhuagh comes from. I don't recall if they ever showed up directly or were just referenced - maybe a couple lines of text at most.

Let's just hope James can redeem himself by spotting armor out in the open since he can't open a chest. :v:

e: Snugglecakes did you show off the infinite money trick in Tanneurs? I don't recall.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 29, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Glazius posted:

The Goblin Sticker sounds like a much shitter weapon than anything we have, banged together in a terrible hurry from whatever was at hand, and all. Is our current gear really that terrible?

The flavor text doesn't always give you a perfect estimation of the actual statistics, but yeah - look at the numbers. The Goblin Sticker does +22 swing damage bonus (and doesn't have the -5 accuracy penalty) over a Kingdom Broadsword, and it's better in thrust as well (just less so) - the numbers aren't as bad but it also roundly beats out the two-handed broadsword and moredhel lamprey.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh yeah, that's exactly how I played Chapter 3.

I remember the order of events - now - but I have no idea where all the things are, so that's how I'd play it today, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You know, I'm trying to remember if those racial stats on swords ever meant a drat thing to the game. I always assumed they were just "the race that made sword x is ______" but doesn't the game imply an effect?

also, Snugglecakes, be sure to stop in at Wolfram :)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Right, that's what I was thinking of. Thing is, I haven't found any numbers on what the modifier actually does in game. I certainly never saw any effect I could notice, at any rate. Better swords = more damage, no matter who was wielding them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think we discussed this in the other thread, but the first four (if we count Magician as two books) are Feist's best work, it goes downhill from there, your milage may vary as to how far down you're willing to go.

My position is that Serpentwar is alright to read, at least, though feel free to skip Rise of a Merchant Prince, it's pretty skippable for a lot of reasons. Ignore any retcons you hear about that change some character development in Serpentwar (in a later series) due to a badly handled continuity screw-up, good to go.

There are glimmers of something fun in every other series, but they're primarily bogged down by being bad.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Wait, which retcon are you talking about?

Yes, the one in your spoiler. It was the most hamfisted "well uh, see, I made a mistake because I don't know my own series and um, no, see, it really wasn't a mistake, yeah, yeahhhhh"

Also, I agree Conclave got significantly better with book 3 - but ughhhhhh, getting there. I didn't hate 1 and 2 as most people did, but I'm not going to pretend they were amazing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah with regards to troll fights, you aren't "supposed" to be up here in chapter 2, enemies don't scale (a troll is a troll with troll stats no matter what) so sometimes it gets a bit interesting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh yeah, the QFG Goblin Proving Ground or whatever was completely awesome for that.

also drat, Highcastle. I knew the shop was good, but I'd forgotten it was that good. 100% dragon plate? Sure yeah, okay :stare:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hey, you blame what you gotta blame. It's still good to see you back. I don't want you having to open a third thread :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Get all the dragon plate. All of it. Sell Owyn to the shopkeeper for another set if required.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, the constantly wrong skill settings are part of the charm. :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snugglecakes posted:

Bet you thought I was going to forget again, didn't you? :v:

A MIRACLE

:v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I remembered six of those chests. The seventh I had to think about. For ... ten, fifteen seconds? :shepicide:

first: sunshine
second: name
third: noise
fourth: table not chair, I can't read
fifth: coffin
sixth: colts
seventh: wall

signs of playing this game too much, right here. Just like everyone else!

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 17, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, I think this one is actually:

Ah yeah, the rare obnoxious wordchest: where you can form two words, both of which are plausible. The most infuriating ones, when you get a word, it's a real word, it fits, and the game just stares at you. "haha nope, try again sucker!"

so uh Snugglecakes, which one is it? :v:

For what it's worth, Schwartzcough, I checked four FAQs. two agree with me, two agree with you. So even FAQ-writers don't know. However, the BAK Help Web is one of the two that agrees with you and I've never seen that source to be wrong, so I'm gonna say you're probably right.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 16, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ah, you're right. I misread the letter wheels. I saw the letter in the second to last column and forgot. This is what I get for trying to do them too fast and beat everyone else to the post!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snugglecakes posted:

Help web says that he just improves your assessment skill by 10 if not selected, 15 if it was the only one selected. I did in fact only select assessment when I did the training. :)

I would appreciate it if you always and forever posted stat screens with random skills selected, but did it all right when it counts.

also, why not have Gorath hammer away at your armor after every fight to get it closer to 100 - and more importantly, raise up his armorcraft skill? I always had him repair everybody's armor. It worked ... mostly :v:

or if you are doing it, that seems low to me. Maybe I misremember how fast armorcraft raised but with him doing three repairs after most fights I remember him being a powerhouse of armor repair for me at this point. Well, aside from going through hammers like you wouldn't believe.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Glazius posted:

In today's installment of things that shouldn't bug me as much as they do: all prices are quoted to you in gold and silver, but your money is denominated in gold sovereigns and silver royals.

This has been something I find vaguely annoying since 1993.

You get used to it :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The third one is WAGON, I believe.

Also, just think of setting it up to deal with the plot later as a pre-emptive way to combat late LP burnout. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I was assuming we'd have a new thread per chapter so I'm happy to not see this fall into archives. Sorry about your lp curse though, take your time with everything as needed.

A nine-thread LP would be pretty amazing.

look, Snugglecakes, just screw up with your stat markers on the skill screen and it'll be just like old times. The updates will roll in, the game will go on, success for everyone.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hey, next time you run into a trap push the G key to bring up the battle grid so we can all see how the grid trivializes already trivial traps, would you?

Then say that three times fast.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 6, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

If you promise it yourself, yeah. But if someone else bets against you updating that day, then you have to succeed to prove them wrong.

so let's cancel it out: Snugglecakes I bet you won't update Saturday :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well Snugglecakes, you sure showed me. I bet you can't do it a second time! :v:

also if you compare these guys throwing diseased poo poo at you to the Queg Feist wrote about, which was - if I remember right - basically Island Rome with a really badass Navy, it's even more hilarious. Imagine some super stereotypical Roman Senator making his slavegoons throw diseased poo poo at Kingdom soldiers.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??? *throws poo at you*

e: in fairness the in-game claim is that this tactic is Quegan, though the goons in question here might not be Quegan themselves.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I thought Quegan Pirates had a different outfit than the brown jacket Generic Rogue Bandits? I may be misremembering. I know they show up from time to time.

e: yeah they have that sweet red sash look

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snugglecakes posted:

Which I won't show off...

Because I forgot to tag that skill for them before I met Abuk. :v:

Never change, Snugglecakes. Never change.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So the Mist Queen captain mentions he escaped from Trenchard, who was in the books one of the 3 pirate kings of Durbin I think, he was famous for getting shipwrecked in such a way that he helped out a bunch during the riftwar, and instead of waiting around to get a big pile of gold from the kind for his services instead stole the kings flagship during the coronation.

I don't remember the pirate king of Durbin bit, but yeah, Trenchard was/is one of the people you wanted to see the least while sailing, because he was really, really good at being a pirate.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Well, Archives are functioning again (slowly) so you could go that route if you want to catch up. Snugglecakes, how are you getting old posts into the sslp tester - tell me you aren't having to do that by hand, right? Right? :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snugglecakes posted:

I can't 'edit' old posts on the archived thread, so I can't just grab out my posts, so it requires a little bit of work to go back and then grab the screenshot image, etc... I've been meaning to do it a little bit at a time but I've been lazy. I'll get back to that soon since it doesn't take too long to grab and fix up one of those old posts.

There is another option. View source of each update -> convert to BBCode using a handy HTML-BBCode converter like say this one, which has some problem with the TIMG tag but otherwise, well:

Update 03
Update 04
Update 05

looks okay to me!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Oracle is a nod to the books, where the oracle plays a more important role. In the books, for example, you learn what it means with the line of "wearing a dragon's skin but not being a dragon."

Don't remember if it has much payoff in this game aside from the cryptic hints about the rest of the game it just threw out like every oracle ever.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 26, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Glad that BBCode converter worked for your old updates though!

When you finish this - so like 2018 - we should count the number of times he's gotten poisoned or near-death or diseased or what have you. I bet it'll be a lot :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snugglecakes posted:

Sure. I update quarterly anyway apparently.
http://www.filedropper.com/save13

You're just secretly going for the longest-running LP in forum history. I understand. It'll be tough, beating out the guy who's been "running" one since 2007 or whenever (I think it finally died) but I BELIEVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Snugglecakes posted:

In other news, I learned how to use the Rightload plugin for lppix. And then I learned about that after uploading the screensheets they can be automatically formatted so I can just copy and paste the links to the images to the forums....

I did not know I could do this until today. :suicide:

oh, I hear you. Once upon a time I manually edited every single screenshot I posted for an lp. One by one. :negative:

Irfanview? Batch processing? What's that? ughhhh.

• Locked thread