Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Things like the 323 always ended up in the hands of new drivers and people without the money or desire to maintain them. Solid cars but they all got thrashed to death.
Where I live cars don't seem to age much. It's moist and the sun is brutal but there are a lot of daily drivers which I'm sure the original drivers bought new on the far side of the '70s.

Is it still running rough? The easiest question would probably be what haven't you replaced yet? I think the Niva had vaguely similar kms in the last few and sat for at least a year. It is such a bitch getting a rough running motor that's been sitting to behave properly sometimes. Driving the poo poo out of it and not being nice about it is helping. Thorough Italian tuneup I suppose. How much distance have you put on your Japanese beastie so far?
I don't ever recall them idling amazingly smooth but if anyone can wake it up properly you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Kinda makes you wonder, what standard appliance cars from today will be the cool old cars of 40 years from now?

I'm still blown away that people are restoring XD-XF Falcons.

Last year I saw a house in town that had your average Holden ute. Then a fairly straight Kingswood appeared in their driveway. They did a Kingswood front swap on the ute and sold the Kingswood sans front. What decade am I living in? The '80s surely.

I remember when the ACVWs were just appliance cars and splitties could be had for essentially nix. Now they are worth more than my house.
You know what I think should fetch $$$ at auction? Unmolested Toranas. I have seen two.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

88h88 posted:

Bwaaaarp. That's my friend driving it, he's 6'7" and his head is an inch off the headliner.

Makes you wonder where manufacturers get the proportions of people from. I had a series 3 Nissan Bluebird. I'm 6' (or at least was) and my head was buried in the headliner. Same goes for any Falcons from the EA to EL. ACVWs and the Lada had / have heaps of head room. The one universal thing is headrests are always wrong.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

leica posted:

Yep, get used to not having a whole lot of time for cars when you have a family....Not that it's a bad thing though. I literally had to take vacation time off work so I could get my cars up to date with regular maintenance and worn parts needing to be replaced. I still have a full set of pads and rotors sitting in the shed for the Miata that have been there for months, but at least I was able to put a good dent in the parts pile while on vacation :unsmith:

If I were close to you I'd snag the wagon in a heartbeat.

Do what I do sometimes. Get up before sunrise, hand tools only and keep it quiet. Cutting my sleep short is the only way I can get poo poo done usually without screwing someone else over. Although the last couple of days my other half was very understanding and let me finish the welding work that had been sitting incomplete for months because of family stuff and "Winter". Repair work needed to stop the rain from coming into the back of the vehicle. Rain which was happening every goddamn night.

• Locked thread