Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raxivace posted:

Honestly the Alucard thing threw me for a loop at first until episode 8 or so because I thought it was it some bizarre way to plant the seeds for his "Genya Arikado" persona for a future season, with him maybe going to Japan for a while or something.

I don't think there's any possibility they'd do something that could result in actually showing the 1999 war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm glad I don't watch the show.

You are wrong for this opinion, it's a pretty great show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sadly the best fantasy show happening on Netflix right now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm glad I don't watch the show.

why are you glad to not be watching a remarkably good videogame adaptation

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm glad not to be watching it because everything people hold up as great sounds like things I would hate.

Life's too short to watch crap just because everyone else likes it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Sadly the best fantasy show happening on Netflix right now

id say its roughly equally as good as the witcher, for completely opposite reasons

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

MarsDragon posted:

I'm glad not to be watching it because everything people hold up as great sounds like things I would hate.

Life's too short to watch crap just because everyone else likes it.

drat... based...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
So I kind of fell asleep at some point and missed a few things. Can someone give me a quick recap of Isaac's story after he got off the boat?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Medullah posted:

So I kind of fell asleep at some point and missed a few things. Can someone give me a quick recap of Isaac's story after he got off the boat?

LMAO you don’t want to miss any of Isaac’s story just rewatch the episode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO you don’t want to miss any of Isaac’s story just rewatch the episode.

I love that the demons are just hosed up people from hell physically and mentally, and also that all of them knew who Isaac was talking about when he asked for the guy who "talked the best". And that it was a hosed up brundleflyosopher.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

SlimGoodbody posted:

You are wrong for this opinion, it's a pretty great show.

I watched the first two episodes, and it was the most cringe-inducing thing I had seen in a long time that I stopped watching. I couldn't even be bothered to give the last two episodes a chance. So I agree with this guy's opinion.

I don't care to find out if there are no more discussions about goat loving in the show.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cemetry Gator posted:

I watched the first two episodes, and it was the most cringe-inducing thing I had seen in a long time that I stopped watching. I couldn't even be bothered to give the last two episodes a chance. So I agree with this guy's opinion.

I don't care to find out if there are no more discussions about goat loving in the show.

There's at least one I think

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cemetry Gator posted:

Honestly, the first season was extremely bad. I only watched the second because there was so much word of mouth that it was substantially better- and it is! I chalked it up to the season one script being around a decade old when it finally went into production.

But season 3 is bad again, so.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Season one suffers from not enough Bloody Tears. If this series lasts long enough to get to the SOTN era, I expect my balls to be blown off by audio excellence.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The truth is that almost everything I like about the Castlevania show is made up whole cloth. The characters in the actual games are extremely flat and formulaic and have almost no emotional inflection on anything they do except for the vampire bosses. As a result, this show could have easily just been a retelling of a basic hero’s monomyth with a brave prince and an evil vampire and the weird choices they’ve made for everyone are what makes the show really shine.

That said it’s entirely pulp and if you don’t want lots of gore and titties then skip it

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I liked the part where they fought Dracula, and especially the conclusion of the fight.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think the best thing about this adaptation is what they did with Dracula and his absence was definitely felt in this season.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I've enjoyed every season because for me it would be pointless to make a straightforward adaptation of the games, especially the early ones.

I think it's fine to give the characters some time after literally killing off Dracula, rather than jump right back into fighting him again. It's going to happen, sure, but not right now.

And yeah, like Bust Rodd said, it's full of pulp. Which is extremely fitting for something like Castlevania.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 9, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm not saying they should have immediately brought him back, I'm just saying I don't find any of the other characterizations as interesting as Drac.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1237084307597840384?s=21

A ton of great Castlevania games are on sale!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A few thoughts on season 3:

The vampire girlbosses of Styria were a fun addition to the cast and I enjoyed Lenore & Hector's story was an even hornier genderflip on the classic seduction-by-vampire story. The main plotline in the village maybe laid it on a little thick with everything going all Tower of Conviction at the end and the Judge being child serial killer out of nowhere but overall I thought it worked as a way for Belnades & Belmont to eat poo poo after their initial heroic triump over Dracula. I'm almost certain Issac's arc is building to him becoming Death but I got to admit his plotline really did just feel like setup for season 4 where he's probably going to dumpster Team Carmilla with a whole army of the damned. Really the only plotline that really felt like deadweight was Alucard & the Japanese twins, they probably could have just dropped him for the season and used that space in the script to flesh out the others' storylines.

Overall, not as consistently strong as season 2 but enough good and weird poo poo that I enjoyed the ride even if it does somewhat feel like setup for poo poo to go down next season.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I can't believe SOTN is on mobile, but not on Switch.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is "out" but it's the definition of early access right now (there's not even a full area yet). It seems very promising regardless, the bosses are great, you can attack in 8 directions ala Super Castlevania IV and exploration is fun. Magic is a bit OP right now but that's nothing they can't smooth out with an eventual hard mode. Excited to play the rest when it comes out, whenever that may be.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Evil Eagle posted:

you can attack in 8 directions ala Super Castlevania IV

gently caress yes.

I'm gonna wait for the finished version, but it's cool that it's probably going to be as good as it looks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OhFunny posted:

I can't believe SOTN is on mobile, but not on Switch.

Where the hell are all the rest of them on Switch for the record

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Not even the first one on the classic app thing!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Where the hell are all the rest of them on Switch for the record

The Castlevania Classic Collection

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

its really cool that they released a classic collection for the switch of exactly all the CV games i *don’t* want to play

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ambivalent posted:

its really cool that they released a classic collection for the switch of exactly all the CV games i *don’t* want to play

Exactly the same

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Maybe someone at Konami will see the Switch Zero/ZX collection and awake whatever basement-dwelling beast there still cares about video games long enough for it to order the release of a GBA/DS 'vania collection.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Maybe someone at Konami will see the Switch Zero/ZX collection and awake whatever basement-dwelling beast there still cares about video games long enough for it to order the release of a GBA/DS 'vania collection.

You'll get the Harmony and Circle in the second Castlevania Classic Collection, the Castlevania Sorrow Pack, individual releases of the PS2 games, and a bad mobile remake of Ecclesia in 2023. The other DS games will be ignored.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

maybe i just really loving love sotn, but the mobile port seems to be the only mobile port of anything i'm actually bothering to play.

i really like the idea of a spell hotbar where you have to do the command at least once to add them to it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There is a nonzero amount of effort put into that port to make it a little more accessible and I’m honestly impressed they have enough of a poo poo to think about those kinda things. My only gripe is that there isn’t an obvious way to open the map using an 8bitdo controller, unless Select is supposed to be that button and select just doesn’t work with my controller paired to my phone.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i'm honestly not doing too bad with the touch controls. the transformations seem to have a small delay, and it takes me a minute to mentally process where the attack button should be instead of mashing somewhat to the right of it when i first load it up, but otherwise I can manage to do things that need some amount of tricky input, like getting into certain areas early or getting certain items early.

but yeah i had the same problem with pairing an xbone controller, the buttons are all off (or unmapped) and there's no way to change it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna play a version of Curse that isn't all fuzzy and make my eyes tears up after a few minutes.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wanna play a version of Curse that isn't all fuzzy and make my eyes tears up after a few minutes.

It scales up pretty well in PCSX2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How do you do soul steal on touch controls

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

RECORD OF LODOSS WAR: DEEDLIT IN WONDER LABYRINTH trip report

It is in early access, so a bit short!! Boo!! I cleared the early access stuff in about 65 minutes

game is very cool, aesthetics and music good~

Movement feels pretty faithful to SotN!! But you got that 8-directional strike going on, which is cool and makes flying enemies way easier!!

There are enough systems and mechanics are different enough to make it seem fresh - Arrows are pretty punchy and snappy.

There's only one spell so far in the early access but it seems pretty stupid powerful, and if you want a challenge, I'd strongly advise not using it on the bosses!!

I should mention I absolutely love Lodoss War so I really like the look of Deedlit and how she attacks and stuff

NOW, the very best coolest part of it is: Ikaruga-style hotswapping of elemental affinities!!!

You can swap between fire and wind elementals to both guard against damage of that type, and deal damage of that type!! This was cool in Ikaruga, and it feels even cooler in a 2D Castlevania kinda game!!! There's a bit where a boss is launching razor gales then starts slinging fireballs and you can kinda dodge and weave and swap your affinities around to avoid taking hits.

This is important because also, you lose levels or charges of like Elemental Power (one meter for wind, one meter for fire) whenever you get hit, and the more charges/levels of those elements you have, the more damage you do (you also slowly heal health if you're at max charges). You regain charge by just hitting enemies kinda like Soul in Hollow Knight.

So that whole system feels really good, both for the neat dodging mechanics on swapping, and because it rewards you a lot for not taking hits.

There's also a bunch of weapons and bows.

The boss fight with Pirotess is really cool. I'm not sure it's as good as first fighting Hornet in Hollow Knight, but it feels really really good.

Downsides:

Only like 5 or so varieties of enemies in the Early Access area, area design was also a little bit straight forward. But again, its also the first area of early access.

Its early access - the rest of the game will come out some day, but who knows!!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Amppelix posted:

How do you do soul steal on touch controls

Very carefully. Then you just tap the spell hotkey and hit the soul steal icon and never worry about it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly it wouldn't be Castlevania without overpowered spells imo