Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Any particular reason to go with that over the MiniDSP offerings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I literally have no drive to buy any new headphones and haven't in a few months now and don't know how I feel about it. This is a good thing I guess, but I've had so much fun trying different poo poo. I've just kinda got to where I'm happy and can't imagine anything being worth the upgrade. My higher-end poo poo I just can't imagine tripling the price for a meager upgrade.

Amps/DACS:

SMSL SP200
Drop CTH+SDAC
Fiio BTR5
Audeze Ciper cables (I guess? I use them a lot. Lightning (also via Anker USC-C adapter) and BT cable)

Headphones:

Audeze i3 - most used around the house, they sound loving AMAZING and comfortable as all hell. Also for podcasts etc walking my dog etc as I can hear thru them.
Audeze LCD2C - most used when sitting at a desk, a bit BIGGER sound than the i3, but I think I actually prefer the i3 in general.
Sennheiser HD58X - most used around house when wanting over-ears, comfortable and light as gently caress. They sound really really good as well.
Fostex TH-X00 - when I want that bio bass, I'd use more but they have the loving monsterous attached cable.
Sony WF1000MX3 - when I'm in public and want some isolation/noise cancelling. ALWAYS in my bag. Only true wireless buds I've liked and I've tried all the major ones.
Ikko OH-10 - I rarely use these anymore, but I can't part with them. They're for when I want isolation and better sound quality than the Sony buds. I used them on transit a lot, but uh, haven't used transit in months.

Even tho the list of poo poo I plan to keep is a bit silly-large, I have easily as many I need to sell. I just hate selling poo poo it's such a pain in the rear end.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Any particular reason to go with that over the MiniDSP offerings?

Not that I know of, it was just the first thing I thought of vis-a-vis relatively inexpensive, high quality DACs since it got so much praise on ASR.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My wife laid claim to my airpods pro so I’m thinkin bout getting something different, do the sony wireless buds have good isolation? That’s what I felt was really lacking with the airpods pro. Otherwise really nice.

Back to my Beatsx for now which are super isolating and I dig it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there an over ear headphones equivalent of the BLON BL03 IEMs, i.e., something considered fairly budget but also pretty drat good?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

teagone posted:

Is there an over ear headphones equivalent of the BLON BL03 IEMs, i.e., something considered fairly budget but also pretty drat good?

Sure but you have to be a little more specific. Open or closed? Amp or no amp? What do you want to listen to?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

My Sundaras came in and I am so happy :allears: got rid of my Modi/Atom stack and switched over to a DX3 Pro

teagone posted:

Really needs a lot more info like your actual price range, open/closed... if I had to answer right now though - KSC75 punches well above its weight

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sure but you have to be a little more specific. Open or closed? Amp or no amp? What do you want to listen to?

air- posted:

Really needs a lot more info like your actual price range, open/closed... if I had to answer right now though - KSC75 punches well above its weight

Oop, sorry! No amp, and need something mostly for video editing using music cues with lots of drums/bass, but aside from that, just general laptop usage. Price range is around $25-$35ish. What's the difference between open/closed? Read the OP, looks like I'd need closed headphones.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

priznat posted:

My wife laid claim to my airpods pro so I’m thinkin bout getting something different, do the sony wireless buds have good isolation? That’s what I felt was really lacking with the airpods pro. Otherwise really nice.

Back to my Beatsx for now which are super isolating and I dig it.

I traded in my AirPods Pros for the Sony's and they're night and day with isolation. Just sound better too.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

So looks like my order from China is in New York in customs. How long should I expect it to stay there?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any goon recommendations for bluetooth on-ear headphones? Maybe circumaural if they're not too big? For working out with.

e: Anyone have experience with the Bose Soundlink 2?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 12, 2020

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So looks like my order from China is in New York in customs. How long should I expect it to stay there?

1 day to 2 weeks. It's unpredictable af, but usually a day or two from my experience.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ddogflex posted:

I traded in my AirPods Pros for the Sony's and they're night and day with isolation. Just sound better too.

Nice did you try the jabras too? They seem to be highly reviewed by tech sites but user reviews make them sound kinda sketchy.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

priznat posted:

Nice did you try the jabras too? They seem to be highly reviewed by tech sites but user reviews make them sound kinda sketchy.

I did not. I've heard they're decent too, but always thought of the brand as like businessman type poo poo, not music.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

priznat posted:

I've never heard them so can't offer specific experience, but broadly speaking do not trust tech sites with regard to audio reviews.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

priznat posted:

Actually just bought two pairs of them, found them in a quest to find workable replacements for my husbands beloved but dead Bose Sleepbuds, he's still on the fence about that but after reading all the very solid reviews and decided to pick up a pair for myself as well.

I think they are great, less obtrusive than the Airpod Pros, battery life is spectacular for their size and a huge bonus for me personally, I have mid-range hearing loss and the hearing aid company that bought Jabra put some of their hearing aid tech in them and it actually does make a noticeable improvement on the sound for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Interesting, thanks! I’m leaning towards the sonys but mostly just keeping an eye peeled for deals since my current wireless ones are doing fine.

Unrelated, a friend has me looking at the steelseries arctis pro headphones for my gaming pc and drat, they are fancy. Kinda spendy though. He just got a set.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

teagone posted:

Oop, sorry! No amp, and need something mostly for video editing using music cues with lots of drums/bass, but aside from that, just general laptop usage. Price range is around $25-$35ish. What's the difference between open/closed? Read the OP, looks like I'd need closed headphones.

Closed, you'd be much better off with IEMs at that price point. Blons will utterly shame any closed headphones under $50. Open, there's the KPH30i / KSC75 / Portapro options from Koss, which punch way above their weight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Closed, you'd be much better off with IEMs at that price point. Blons will utterly shame any closed headphones under $50. Open, there's the KPH30i / KSC75 / Portapro options from Koss, which punch way above their weight.

I'm personally not overly fond of sticking things in my ears, so basically looking for over-ear. Thanks for the suggestions, will peep those :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 12, 2020

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

ddogflex posted:

I literally have no drive to buy any new headphones and haven't in a few months now and don't know how I feel about it. This is a good thing I guess, but I've had so much fun trying different poo poo. I've just kinda got to where I'm happy and can't imagine anything being worth the upgrade. My higher-end poo poo I just can't imagine tripling the price for a meager upgrade.

Amps/DACS:

SMSL SP200
Drop CTH+SDAC
Fiio BTR5
Audeze Ciper cables (I guess? I use them a lot. Lightning (also via Anker USC-C adapter) and BT cable)

Headphones:

Audeze i3 - most used around the house, they sound loving AMAZING and comfortable as all hell. Also for podcasts etc walking my dog etc as I can hear thru them.
Audeze LCD2C - most used when sitting at a desk, a bit BIGGER sound than the i3, but I think I actually prefer the i3 in general.
Sennheiser HD58X - most used around house when wanting over-ears, comfortable and light as gently caress. They sound really really good as well.
Fostex TH-X00 - when I want that bio bass, I'd use more but they have the loving monsterous attached cable.
Sony WF1000MX3 - when I'm in public and want some isolation/noise cancelling. ALWAYS in my bag. Only true wireless buds I've liked and I've tried all the major ones.
Ikko OH-10 - I rarely use these anymore, but I can't part with them. They're for when I want isolation and better sound quality than the Sony buds. I used them on transit a lot, but uh, haven't used transit in months.

Even tho the list of poo poo I plan to keep is a bit silly-large, I have easily as many I need to sell. I just hate selling poo poo it's such a pain in the rear end.

I usually use an audio specific site to sell my headphones. canuckaudiomart in Canada is great for that if you are Canadian. Probably something similar in the US.

I'm kind of in the same boat now, which is a good thing IMO.

I've got a good mix of IEMs and headphones. My last purchase was the Audeze LCDi4 and that is basically the best iem I've ever heard in my life. Also the most detailed headphone/iem I've ever heard. It's difficult to think of any other IEM I could want after owning it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Hamelekim posted:

I usually use an audio specific site to sell my headphones. canuckaudiomart in Canada is great for that if you are Canadian. Probably something similar in the US.

Oh poo poo thanks for that reminder about Canuck audio mart, I've got a bunch of headphones--and fuckin weed vapes--i want to sell off but I've been way too lazy and not wanting to gently caress around on reddit

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Oh poo poo thanks for that reminder about Canuck audio mart, I've got a bunch of headphones--and fuckin weed vapes--i want to sell off but I've been way too lazy and not wanting to gently caress around on reddit

Assuming you're in Canada, do you have any headphone amps you want to sell? I'm at a point now where I need one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

VelociBacon posted:

Assuming you're in Canada, do you have any headphone amps you want to sell? I'm at a point now where I need one.

Schiit and Drop/Massdrop don’t sell to Canada?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Schiit and Drop/Massdrop don’t sell to Canada?

I've Massdropped/Dropped in the past and the shipping took about a month longer than it was supposed to.

Is the schiit the best option at that price point? Also I have the feeling this is going to be a stupid question but why do all the headphone amps use the RCA inputs? Wouldn't fibreoptic be better, for example?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I'd avoid Schiit in general, they've had a long history of misleading claims, horrific build and quality problems like improperly grounded cases, blowing headphone drivers, solder failures, literally catching fire, and so on. Their support is also not the best, but if you don't give a poo poo the Magni Heresy and Modi 3 are their good models. It's a brand that was built on social marketing and shilling, even disregarding the above major problems that most units won't experience their products are mediocre; the Magni Heresy measures completely transparently, but are known for have scratchy volume pots, etc.

Basically the standard for headphone amps right now is the JDS Labs Atom, it measures superbly and JDS Labs have some of the best QC and CS in the industry, unless you have specific input/output needs it's the only amp you'll ever need; ASR review. It's what I'm currently using, and not selling. Only other amp I have right now is an ES100, not sure if I want to get rid of it tho and it's a very different product type.

Amps amplify an analog signal, hence the analog inputs; DACs will generally have digital input options like optical or USB.

Basically if you need a desktop amp, Atom is the one unless you need more power--outside of some exotic poo poo you don't--or want balanced, in which case the Drop THX 789 is the one, and beyond that you're pissing money down a hole.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Good Lord, first beyerdyamic now schiit. This isn't headfi dude chill out.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Good Lord, first beyerdyamic now schiit. This isn't headfi dude chill out.

did someone say beyer? I've been using the DT1770 for the past month to accompany my Hifiman Arya when my wife is doing things around the house. I have to say that in retrospect I've had a fairly good experience w/ this can. think I have a lottery winner though, it doesn't have as much of a PEAK BEYER (tm). from personal experience I can say compared to my old dt770 it's definitely cleaner and more linear. plan on having a custom eq done of it, but I will say a standard sonarworks profile seems to overcorrect on my cans by a little and I'm having to adjust the peaks by 1 or 2dB on certain regions. otherwise it's a linear and good.

oh, and bass, good extension, but if you REALLY crank it, you will get it to distort. compared to my focal elegia it's something I miss. the elegia had more of a linear impactful bass, but the upper mids and lower treble were too scooped which resulted in a somewhat tin-like sound. the dt1770 doesn't have this issue, but I will say that it does sound more "warm" and less "clinical" versus the elegia, likely because of that aforementioned midrange scoop.

i'll put up something more detailed here later, but the dt1770 is criminally underrated from what I'm hearing just A/Bing it w/ my Arya.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I got the Jabra 65T Elite Actives since they were on sale, anyone have experience with the the ear fit? I have fairly small ear holes (currently using Jaybird Comply Foam Tips.)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wheeee posted:

I'd avoid Schiit in general, they've had a long history of misleading claims, horrific build and quality problems like improperly grounded cases, blowing headphone drivers, solder failures, literally catching fire, and so on. Their support is also not the best, but if you don't give a poo poo the Magni Heresy and Modi 3 are their good models. It's a brand that was built on social marketing and shilling, even disregarding the above major problems that most units won't experience their products are mediocre; the Magni Heresy measures completely transparently, but are known for have scratchy volume pots, etc.

Basically the standard for headphone amps right now is the JDS Labs Atom, it measures superbly and JDS Labs have some of the best QC and CS in the industry, unless you have specific input/output needs it's the only amp you'll ever need; ASR review. It's what I'm currently using, and not selling. Only other amp I have right now is an ES100, not sure if I want to get rid of it tho and it's a very different product type.

Amps amplify an analog signal, hence the analog inputs; DACs will generally have digital input options like optical or USB.

Basically if you need a desktop amp, Atom is the one unless you need more power--outside of some exotic poo poo you don't--or want balanced, in which case the Drop THX 789 is the one, and beyond that you're pissing money down a hole.

Thanks, can't argue with the price of that Atom.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I’ve owned a Modi/Magni 3 stack for over a year and have had zero of the issues you just listed minus the customer service complaint since I’ve never had to use it. Sure there are more options now in that price point then a year ago but Schiit is still not a terrible purchase.

If you don’t need a fiberoptic connection I’ve been using my Fiio BTR5 as my DAC/amp combo for everything that’s not my desktop or PS4 (wireless controller can’t push my HE-4XX loud enough). It’s tiny, powerful and portable. Even has a balanced output if that’s your thing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
honestly schiit stuff is by and large fine. build quality is blech, but that should be obvious from the fact that they're made in america and cost the same as chinese imports. Your magni is not gonna loving catch fire though, that whee guy is a lunatic.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

crepeface posted:

I got the Jabra 65T Elite Actives since they were on sale, anyone have experience with the the ear fit? I have fairly small ear holes (currently using Jaybird Comply Foam Tips.)

I've got fairly small ear holes and it "locks" in fine enough when I use the out of the box small tips. Doesn't come out so easily, even when I work out. Skip rope, boxing drills, running, cycling.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Any European alternatives for the Atom? One of these tiny combos would be perfect for my desk to replace a dacmagic + Little Dot amp.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

that whee guy is a lunatic.

I've been ignoring your repeated shitposting out of fury that someone dare speak ill of your beloved consumer products in an effort to not derail this thread, but you really need to just loving drop it, this thread isn't your clubhouse.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

seravid posted:

Any European alternatives for the Atom? One of these tiny combos would be perfect for my desk to replace a dacmagic + Little Dot amp.

Not a European brand but should be more widely available, Topping has a new amp coming out very soon, the L30, and preliminary measurements are excellent. Their previous standalone amp, the A30 measured excellently, better than its budget competition, with the exception of a high output impedance of ~10 ohms, which isn't a concern for most headphones but can cause issues with more sensitive headphones and IEMs; the L30 preproduction units rectify that issue and measure ~0.06 ohms output impedance, which is in line with the best amps.

Topping makes excellent DACs as well, the E30 being their most recent.

Only real catch with Topping is that they're Chinese so if you do have a warranty issue it can be a hassle with shipping compared to a local alternative.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I can vouch for the A30, it's my daily driver. It has its oddities, like the mysterious "high / low voltage" modes that don't seem to do anything at all, but it's cheap, clean and loud. It's rare to get all three.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have some questions about the state of headphones vs headset for gaming/movies.

The last time I invested in headphones for gaming/movies was in 2012. At that time I had considered getting a high end headset, but all the research I did told me that the much better investment was headphones with an attachable mic. Essentially the case seemed to be that even the best headsets at that time were a compromise option that could not compare to good headphones. I ended up with the Beyerdynamic DT 990, FiiO E11 amp, and a modmic from antlion.

I use the above exclusively with my PC and I've now decided I would like a headphone set up for my PS4 in the living room. 8 years is a long time for anything tech related, so I want to know if the situation has changed in regards to headsets vs headphones + attachable mic. I looked into headsets and it seems like the Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless, the HyperX Cloud Orbit S-Gaming, or the Audez Mobius are the top of the line. Are these quality products or would I still be better off just get headphones and an antlion wireless modmic?

If headphones + attachable MIC is still the way to go, does anyone have recommendations for ones that are better than the above 3 and in the ~500 dollar price range?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 17, 2020

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Artelier posted:

I've got fairly small ear holes and it "locks" in fine enough when I use the out of the box small tips. Doesn't come out so easily, even when I work out. Skip rope, boxing drills, running, cycling.

Nice, thanks. This is probably the biggest luxury I've bought for myself in awhile, I'm excited!!!

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Any recommendations for something to replace Sennheiser HD 205s with for general use, but better, in the £50-£100 region?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I'm looking for something to for casual PC gaming that has a mic that doesn't suck and won't break easily. Circumaural, ideally under $50.