Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious about the Etymotic ER2XR. I've had a few of their BA sets and currently have custom sleeves on a set of ER3XR. Sounds like the ER2 might actually be an improvement? Wondering if anyone who's heard both could say whether it might be worth replacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

powderific posted:

I'm curious about the Etymotic ER2XR. I've had a few of their BA sets and currently have custom sleeves on a set of ER3XR. Sounds like the ER2 might actually be an improvement? Wondering if anyone who's heard both could say whether it might be worth replacing.

ER2XR is a bit of a different beast than the ER3XR. It's not quite as detailed in the mid and high ranges, but has better texture and detail in the bass. It also has slightly more bass, but not by a huge amount. I think the ER2XR sounded more "natural" than the ER3XR when I had extended time with both, but I'm sensitive to timbre issues with balanced armature sets due to my personal hearing curve. It may not be an issue for you at all. Also, the cable on the ER2XR loving blows.

Following up on my January post: I finally got all the extra bits and pieces I got with my EX1000 sold, so the final breakdown ended up being:

Cost: $320 CDN for the EX1000, ER4P-T, Fidue A83 and the right earpiece to a Logitech UE900

I sold the ER4P-T for $150, the Fidue A83 for $100, and the UE900 earpiece for $40.

I basically ended up paying $40 CDN for an EX1000. I think I did okay on that one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lovely cable aside I think I may actually prefer my ER2SE to my ER4XR due to the timbre and bass dynamics, and while I haven't had them long enough or done any serious A/B comparing I think they actually have a more 'open' and less compressed sound than the BA Etymotics with better imaging and layering; with music like Meshuggah there's no issues with smearing and the ER2 have fantastic detail for games.

moving coil uber alles

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Got the $9 dac and wow it makes a noticeable difference. I should be set with the etymotics until the 6xx arrive in a month or so.

Now if I want to use this for music, like the record player I'm going to "borrow" from my parents next week, do I need an amp or anything or do I just trust in the receive to handle anything.

Right now the receiver seems to be comparable to the dac with the etymotics.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

If it sounds good out of the receiver you're good to go

External DACs and amps for headphones are only 'necessary' because the audio out on most laptops and motherboards, even the expensive ones, is the cheapest poo poo they could source and implemented poorly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Demon_Corsair posted:

Now if I want to use this for music, like the record player I'm going to "borrow" from my parents next week, do I need an amp or anything or do I just trust in the receive to handle anything.

either the TT needs a line level out or your receiver needs a phono amp or you need an external phono amp. to be clear this isn't to with your headphones just getting the right signal from the TT into the receiver.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah, if your receiver has a dedicated phono input, use that. otherwise it's likely you'll need a phono preamp, there's an EQ curve inherent to vinyl records that needs to be corrected for.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
I got the opportunity to buy a pair of brand new Hifiman Sundaras for $350, is it a no-brainer? I know these cans are popular, unfortunately no shops around here have them for me to listen, just dunno if they are $350-good.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
they're easily $500 good, grab 'em.

e: that's their normal retail price these days on american amazon just fyi, it's not really a bargain

e2: sweet, enjoy, they're incredible.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 29, 2020

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they're easily $500 good, grab 'em.

e: that's their normal retail price these days on american amazon just fyi, it's not really a bargain

Yeah dude, the thing is that I'm in Europistan, so they tend to go for at least $463 otherwise. So I followed your advice and grabbed them!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got the Unique Melody MEST and my face fell right off. Treble to DIE for. Detail, OCD twinklies, etc. Its a quad-driver IEM, so 10mm DD + BA + EST + Boner conduction.

Absolutely recommended. Big price, big sound.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
From skimming the thread it doesn't seem like there's much in the way of PC gaming headsets since the consensus is that they're a rip-off and you'd be better served with just discrete headphones and a mic. In my case though I have my PC hooked up to my TV across the room and sit on my couch with a lap keyboard so I'd need something wireless, and I have a few niche programs that poo poo themselves when Bluetooth is on so I'd also need a dedicated dongle or something that doesn't rely on PC Bluetooth. With these requirements in mind, what would you recommend for a solution?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

garfield hentai posted:

From skimming the thread it doesn't seem like there's much in the way of PC gaming headsets since the consensus is that they're a rip-off and you'd be better served with just discrete headphones and a mic. In my case though I have my PC hooked up to my TV across the room and sit on my couch with a lap keyboard so I'd need something wireless, and I have a few niche programs that poo poo themselves when Bluetooth is on so I'd also need a dedicated dongle or something that doesn't rely on PC Bluetooth. With these requirements in mind, what would you recommend for a solution?

What's your budget? The Audeze Penrose is coming out soon and does what you want.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

powderific posted:

I owned some ER3XRs and traded em in for ER2XR. I find the ER2s to have wider soundstage, wayyyyyy better bass extension and tonality by far, and the tradeoff is a smidgen of treble detail I can live without.

the cable sucks dog rear end in a top hat though, you need to replace it.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What's your budget? The Audeze Penrose is coming out soon and does what you want.

At the pre-order price, exactly this. I'll give it a shot!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Cool, post your thoughts once you get 'em. I wouldn't normally rec a pre-release product but it's the same basic thing as the Mobius which is good, so there's that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I owned some ER3XRs and traded em in for ER2XR. I find the ER2s to have wider soundstage, wayyyyyy better bass extension and tonality by far, and the tradeoff is a smidgen of treble detail I can live without.

Do they take the same tips? I have custom sleeves for my ER3 that I'd hate to lose.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yep, they're the exact same shells, just blue.

thezanke
Feb 16, 2020

Budget - Somewhere in the $150–$250 ballpark, preferably easily attainable (not waiting on a massdrop)
Source - Windows PC w/ FiiO E10k DAC/Amp
Isolation Requirements - none, I'll be in my office with a door I can close if it's too noisy
Preferred Type of Headphone - Big ol' over ear cans with a big band that can fit my giant head, I can appreciate both open and closed back
Preferred Tonal Balance - flat/true or something with a little extra bass maybe. I love me some bass. Not too much treble though, my ears can be sensitive
Past Headphones - Most recently my DT 990s Pros, which just recently broke, thank goodness ... too sharp on the treble. I love my Bose QC25s still, which I'm using as a backup now
Preferred Music - A lot of techno/electronic (future bass, psy trance, chillstep, etc) & rap/hip hop

I will also be gaming with these a lot.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sorry to have a back and forth quote convo, but what cables did you wind up getting?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

powderific posted:

Sorry to have a back and forth quote convo, but what cables did you wind up getting?

I went with this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32855428262.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.75c64c4d0XK2vD

The 90 degree plug is great for me as I wear them up and over the ear, and unlike the stock cable they have the length past the Y split to let me do that. It's a bit rubbery though and I'm gonna heatshrink a memory wire in there to help them stay put. Way less microphonic, even worn down though. Very worth it. Came with a nice little case, too.

e: lunashops is also a good option:https://lunashops.aliexpress.com/store/group/ER4SR/804746_513496769.html?spm=2114.12010615.pcShopHead_276750390.1_4_1

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice, I definitely prefer over the ears so that's perfect.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I went with this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32855428262.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.75c64c4d0XK2vD

The 90 degree plug is great for me as I wear them up and over the ear, and unlike the stock cable they have the length past the Y split to let me do that. It's a bit rubbery though and I'm gonna heatshrink a memory wire in there to help them stay put. Way less microphonic, even worn down though. Very worth it. Came with a nice little case, too.

e: lunashops is also a good option:https://lunashops.aliexpress.com/store/group/ER4SR/804746_513496769.html?spm=2114.12010615.pcShopHead_276750390.1_4_1

Does the shell rotate on the mmcx connector with the cable you bought? That's my problem with the lunashops cable I bought for my ER4XR, so sadly I never use it.

I bought a balanced cable off of eBay that had bad/wrong information about the construction of the cable, it said it was a handmade litz cable, but it's literally TRN's cheapest cable ($8) with Ety connectors put on the end. So I feel kind of ripped off. However, it has ear guides and the ergonomics work perfectly for me to wear the cable over ear, it has the proper Ety notches on the mmcx connector so the shells stay in place, and most importantly my ER4XR now sounds better than ever from my balanced source.

In the end I guess I shouldn't complain about getting duped about the cable construction. This cable along with the dual flange tips is :kiss: I think I've come around to the point where I like the ER4XR more than the ER2XR, when I first got them I thought the opposite, but the extra detail and clarity on the 4 has won me over.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

trem_two posted:

In the end I guess I shouldn't complain about getting duped about the cable construction. This cable along with the dual flange tips is :kiss: I think I've come around to the point where I like the ER4XR more than the ER2XR, when I first got them I thought the opposite, but the extra detail and clarity on the 4 has won me over.

despite liking the classic frosted small Etymotic triple flange tips, and still having a bag of replacements, holy poo poo are the new dual flanges ever an improvement. having a greater variety of sizes allows a better, more consistent fit and seal, and having them butt up against the second bend in the canal gives a hard stop point in insertion, which is again nice for consistency

having had them a while now, i think the ER2SE may actually better than the ER4XR. there's less bass in the frequency response but it sounds more detailed, and in general they seem to be more dynamic and open sounding, with greater separation between sounds. it's kind of impressive they managed to make such a tiny full-range DD sound so good, and if they gave it the ER4 treatment with a more expensive version people would totally buy it

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 5, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

trem_two posted:

Does the shell rotate on the mmcx connector with the cable you bought? That's my problem with the lunashops cable I bought for my ER4XR, so sadly I never use it.

A bit, I suppose. I really don't notice it though, it doesn't move when I'm wearing it. The heatshrink kind of slots into the notch on the barrel, I could add another layer and it wouldn't move at all.

If I use the frosted triples, what size dual flange should I go for? Sucks that they're 20 bucks a pack, but I'm curious.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

A bit, I suppose. I really don't notice it though, it doesn't move when I'm wearing it. The heatshrink kind of slots into the notch on the barrel, I could add another layer and it wouldn't move at all.

If I use the frosted triples, what size dual flange should I go for? Sucks that they're 20 bucks a pack, but I'm curious.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure. I used the largest triple flange, and the XL dual flange fit really well for me. Maybe Wheeee can comment.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I bought a new pair of Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 true wireless headphones recently and I have a strange problem: for some reason, the volume control function of the earbuds does not work when they are connected to my PC or notebook. The rest of the controls work fine, but the volume up/down keypress just doesn't do anything. It works fine with both my tablet and my Android phone, so I'm fairly sure it's not a mechanical defect in the earbuds themselves, but I can't figure out what the problem is. Googling for a solution has given me absolutely nothing, apparently I'm literally the first person to ever run into that particular issue or something.

Any ideas what might be going on there? I'd expect it to be a driver issue if it were any other kind of peripheral, but as far as I can tell, bluetooth headphones don't even have those.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiovorax posted:

I bought a new pair of Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 true wireless headphones recently and I have a strange problem: for some reason, the volume control function of the earbuds does not work when they are connected to my PC or notebook. The rest of the controls work fine, but the volume up/down keypress just doesn't do anything. It works fine with both my tablet and my Android phone, so I'm fairly sure it's not a mechanical defect in the earbuds themselves, but I can't figure out what the problem is. Googling for a solution has given me absolutely nothing, apparently I'm literally the first person to ever run into that particular issue or something.

Any ideas what might be going on there? I'd expect it to be a driver issue if it were any other kind of peripheral, but as far as I can tell, bluetooth headphones don't even have those.

I'll take a wild guess the touch(?) controls only work with android or ios.

Your PC is the source and is yelling at your buds, your buds try yelling back and the PC folds its arms and says "you do what I say buddy".

Also check you have the latest firmware update. "Melomania 1 is not able to have its firmware updated." Wow okay.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 7, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DancingShade posted:

I'll take a wild guess the touch controls only work with android or ios.

Your PC is the source and is yelling at your buds, your buds try yelling back and the PC folds its arms and says "you do what I say buddy".
That doesn't really make any sense. Literally every other set of bluetooth headphones that I've tried out over the last year or so has worked just fine in that regard. I can't imagine that this pair just arbitrarily uses a completely different protocol for that one specific function when the rest goes through without any problems.

quote:

Also check you have the latest firmware update.
The Melomania 1 is not able to have its firmware updated, according to the manufacturer website.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiovorax posted:

That doesn't really make any sense. Literally every other set of bluetooth headphones that I've tried out over the last year or so has worked just fine in that regard. I can't imagine that this pair just arbitrarily uses a completely different protocol for that one specific function when the rest goes through without any problems.

The Melomania 1 is not able to have its firmware updated, according to the manufacturer website.

Shooting in the dark. Also very surprised about the firmware not being updatable. I guess I just took it for granted that would be a thing.

Maybe contact their support and ask if there are any issues with PC volume control for units in your serial number range.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think I'll just return them altogether. Those things are turning out to be complete garbage. Half of the supposed product specs are outright lies (thirty meters range my rear end, it's more like five) and there's already a noticeable crackle in the left earbud, even though I haven't even used them for all of a full day yet. Lesson learned: never trust "product tests" and reviews on the internet, they're all bullshit and probably astroturfing.

Kind of pathetic that "made in Britain" quality can't measure up to the 30 Dollar no-name Chinese cheapo-phones that I've been using so far. I certainly won't buy anything from that manufacturer again.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 7, 2020

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Cardiovorax posted:

I think I'll just return them altogether. Those things are turning out to be complete garbage. Half of the supposed product specs are outright lies (thirty meters range my rear end, it's more like five) and there's already a noticeable crackle in the left earbud, even though I haven't even used them for all of a full day yet. Lesson learned: never trust "product tests" and reviews on the internet, they're all bullshit and probably astroturfing.

Kind of pathetic that "made in Britain" quality can't measure up to the 30 Dollar no-name Chinese cheapo-phones that I've been using so far. I certainly won't buy anything from that manufacturer again.

If they’re officially made in Britain, I suspect it’s a reboxing & logo stamping deal rather than actual production of the electronics.

Where did you read the positive reviews?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

wooger posted:

If they’re officially made in Britain, I suspect it’s a reboxing & logo stamping deal rather than actual production of the electronics.

Where did you read the positive reviews?
TechRadar, Soundguys, Whathifi, etc. Basically everything you would find on the first page of Google search results. The Amazon average is also really good - a lot better than it deserves to be, clearly. The 1-star reviews are predictably enough the only ones that actually mention all the same problems that I also have.

I think I'll just invest another 80 bucks and get myself a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3s this time. They're currently almost thirty percent off, I don't think I'm getting a better deal than that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Might have been a lemon batch. Again, shooting in the dark. Best to return and move on probably.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The most negative Amazon reviews report people having the same issues through multiple returns and exchanges in a row, or even developing entirely different issues that are just as bad. Not worth trying over and over in hopes of getting a decent pair, I think - I've already put in for an Amazon return. It's pretty much the best thing about Prime for me, really: I get to do a month-long product test of basically anything and what I don't want I can send back with postage fully covered.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the volume button works now. No idea what the gently caress is even up anymore. I'm still not keeping the dumb thing.

edit: and now it doesn't.

edit2: and now it does again. Seriously, gently caress all of this.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 7, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, the volume button works now. No idea what the gently caress is even up anymore. I'm still not keeping the dumb thing.

edit: and now it doesn't.

edit2: and now it does again. Seriously, gently caress all of this.

It's a lemon. Definitely return.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've now tried the Unique Melody MEST. At 1400 bux IEM. I prefer the Shuoer EJ07. Matter of fact, I prefer the EJ07 over every IEM ever created and its not even that close.

After owning and trying almost 100 IEMs over 10+ years its crazy to think that this one IEM is endgame. It is.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
All this etymotic talk has me wondering if I should update my ancient er4s.

What is the different between all the different varieties? SE vs XR have both been recently mentioned.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems like ER2XR are the ones people are liking the most. XR is more bass than SE. ER2 have a moving coil, ER3 and ER4 have a balanced armature. The tradeoff for moving coil (ER2) vs BA (ER3+4) is bass vs treble it seems, though from what I've heard from people who have both the treble is still good on the ER2.