Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My AH-D7200's have developed a rattle on one side that won't go away. It's not a hair or anything as I've gone wild with compressed air. I'm gonna look at pulling that side apart to poke around inside if possible.

I've been looking at upgrades but it's still super annoying. I think I might try to snag a pair of Eikon's and see what the ZMF hype is all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I have the AKG K371, the Sony WH-1000XM4 and the cheapo Superlux HD668B. Out of all these three I MUCH prefer the sound of the Superlux. I don't have the vocabulary to explain why, but I'm guessing it is because they are open? Anyway - what I DO NOT like about them is the build quality and creaking. So - what is a good, cheap-ish headphone with similar audio characteristics? From googling, I can see someone claim that the sound of the Superlux is "modeled" after Sennheiser's DT990? I guess that would be a natural upgrade if so - however, I use my phone as my main source, and the 990s are 250 ohm, so that is out of the question. Where should I be looking? (I'm in Norway, so options might be limited/different).

FistLips fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 27, 2021

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

FistLips posted:

I have the AKG K371, the Sony WH-1000XM4 and the cheapo Superlux HD668B. Out of all these three I MUCH prefer the sound of the Superlux. I don't have the vocabulary to explain why, but I'm guessing it is because they are open? Anyway - what I DO NOT like about them is the build quality and creaking. So - what is a good, cheap-ish headphone with similar audio characteristics? From googling, I can see someone claim that the sound of the Superlux is "modeled" after Sennheiser's DT990? I guess that would be a natural upgrade if so - however, I use my phone as my main source, and the 990s are 250 ohm, so that is out of the question. Where should I be looking? (I'm in Norway, so options might be limited/different).

I sorted headphones on Prisjakt by 3,5mm, over ear, open and less than 40 ohms, and I think your best bets would be Audio Technica ATH-AVA400 or the Philips Fidelio X2HR or X3. The DT990 is kind of an outlier because it has a very sharp treble boost, so none of these will be exactly like it. They will however all be between perfectly fine and very good. I'd go for the X3.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

evobatman posted:

I sorted headphones on Prisjakt by 3,5mm, over ear, open and less than 40 ohms, and I think your best bets would be Audio Technica ATH-AVA400 or the Philips Fidelio X2HR or X3. The DT990 is kind of an outlier because it has a very sharp treble boost, so none of these will be exactly like it. They will however all be between perfectly fine and very good. I'd go for the X3.

The X3 is on sale too! Thanks!

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I have been able to confirm that my Schiit was simply lovely - a new DAC/Amp from a different company has no distortion at any volume that I can detect and no interference - so back to Schiit the Asgard goes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there a recommended amp just for headphones? I have someone sending me a Fiio E11 but it looks like I have to charge that up (seems it was mostly for portable but I want desktop). I was gonna jump on Schitt but if there's a cheaper option. I have basic rear end AKG K240's but when I plug them into my speakers (M-Audio AV40) I have to crank the volume.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That fiio should be way more than enough, you can just leave it plugged into usb and ignore the battery if you want.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I picked up the dt 1990s that got recommended, and the atom amp. Without the amp stuff needs to be pretty much maxed out on volume to be a decent level, with the amp I've got room to adjust which is nice.

The treble was a bit much, I dug around for some curve adjustment settings, got rid of all the response stuff below 6k, and cut their listed gain in half for the stuff above 6k. Unless I'm completely off base that should dampen the response without flattening it completely correct?

Anyways, I'm enjoying them quite a bit. The cups are larger than my atx ones so they don't sit against my ears at all, and there is a nice amount of clarity not just in the low end but all around. Definitely have a better low end as expected, but honestly I'm noticing more overall improvement than I expected which is great.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Just got the Luxury & Precision W2 portable DAC dongle. I supposed to have desktop DAC class SINAD. It's fine and even drives my high impedance Audio Technica ATH-R70x BUT all the support is on their Chinese language website so without someone posting the latest firmware to a google drive it would be a pain in the rear end to update.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
What’s the current consensus on all of the Audio Technica open headphones? Is there a favorite or one worth getting from a headphone collector/hobbyist standpoint (ie- you don’t need or expect it to be an all-rounder but you want it to be interesting)?

Even the R70x seems pretty old at this point. Did people ever decide if it was better than the AD900X or whatever?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't know. The R70x is the AT take on a Sennheiser 6xx series neutral headphone so while it's good it's more of a neutral all rounder so a solid general choice but definitely not a unique headphone.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I have the audio technica ATH700x and I love them for gaming, but I don’t know if I would recommend them for music. They are very bass light which is perfect in warzone - the light bass makes it easier to hear the details of what is going on and teammate voices don’t get drowned out by explosions or car engines. After getting some hair ties for tensioning the wings, bending the frames, and replacing the pads with perforated leather, they are the most comfortable headphones I’ve ever used, the only time I’ve forgotten I’m wearing headphones. Super open soundstage and imaging , and they do sound amazing for orchestra. I still grab my 6xx when I’m watching movie or listening to most music though

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

What’s the current consensus on all of the Audio Technica open headphones? Is there a favorite or one worth getting from a headphone collector/hobbyist standpoint (ie- you don’t need or expect it to be an all-rounder but you want it to be interesting)?

Even the R70x seems pretty old at this point. Did people ever decide if it was better than the AD900X or whatever?

The AD series are still very unique. Incredibly open back, mid focused, airy sound. I still don't think anything comes close for imaging and width of soundstage, which is why they're very popular with pro gamers for sound cues. They're also super comfortable. They are extremely coloured though so not the best for all music. AD900x were my first high end headphones and I had such fond memories of them I bought some AD2000 literally a decade later

Th R70x are very different. AT bills them as monitoring headphones, which is diametrically opposed from the AD series design. They're very nice HD650 clones. More comfortable and they fix a few areas in the FR. A few reviewers bill them as a mimor upgrade over the HD series for more money. Crinacle is quite a fan for that reason in particular.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I absolutely love my AD700 though I don't use it much anymore. Kinda hated the AD900x, not because of the sound but the cheaper materials (air wing padding is so minimal in comparison, stock pads are flat as hell, worst cable ever made, etc.) I appreciated the AD900x more once I replaced the pads and did a detachable mod.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
^^ yup.

I love the AD900X with some much more comfortable ZMF eikon suede pads attached. Loathe the stock non-removable cable. If you can live with that cable or bust out the soldering iron to implement your own solution then I think you can't go wrong.

Really can't emphasise enough how terrible that stock cable is though.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 30, 2021

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I'm looking for a set of wireless earbuds to listen to music and podcasts with while I work outside. I'm going for the sweet spot between quality and being cheap enough that I'm not gonna be too upset when they inevitably get broken. Any recommendations or is this a go into a store and grab whatever looks good to you situation?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I'm looking for a set of wireless earbuds to listen to music and podcasts with while I work outside. I'm going for the sweet spot between quality and being cheap enough that I'm not gonna be too upset when they inevitably get broken. Any recommendations or is this a go into a store and grab whatever looks good to you situation?

it actually matters what you pick, there are some nice TWS sets at many price ranges, but there's tons of crap out there too. It helps to know exactly what your budget is, you'll get the best specific recommendations that way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

echoing what trem_two said, also I’d add some additional questions:

1) what systems do you plan to use them with? iOS? Android? Mac? PC? Just one thing or multiple? Do you expect to be jumping from phone to computer and back?

2) And are these only for yard work? What kind of yard work?

If you’re dealing with loud equipment like a lawnmower or blower you’re better off getting some purpose-built hearing protection. There’s stuff with wired and Bluetooth built in for pretty cheap, and it’s exponentially better for your hearing safety and personal comfort. Even the cheapest-sounding 3M noisepro beats the highest quality headphones when they’re fighting with a 120db motor.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Whatever you do, don't follow all the sponsored youtubers and get Raycons. They are genuinely some of the worst earphones ever made and have a -+20dB swing in their frequency response

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Well I work outdoors for a living, its not a very noisy environment though I'd probably end up using these at home while mowing the lawn too. I just need to make sure that sweat isn't going to kill them. I also plan to use them exclusively with an android phone.

As for my budget, I'd be comfortable spending 50-70 USD on these.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Whatever you do, don't follow all the sponsored youtubers and get Raycons. They are genuinely some of the worst earphones ever made and have a -+20dB swing in their frequency response

watching (non-audio) YouTubers whose takes I generally respect, and whom I generally consider credible and trustworthy, do an about-face partway through their 30 minute video on rightwing furry politics or whatever to robotically spread open their cheeks and fully dilate their assholes for Raycon has been way more jarring than any amount of phone strategy game or VPN provider bullshit

like by all means, get that bag and hustle what you gotta hustle to stay afloat—but it’s so hard to reconcile just how bad Raycons are with the earnestness of some of these pitches, especially when it comes from people whom you wouldn’t necessarily peg as particularly unprincipled or up for sale.

Obviously it’s a lot more complex than that, even under the most “at worst” circumstances. Like, ultimately I’m a hobbyist with 10+ years talking and thinking about this sort of poo poo and most people’s standards and familiarity with the market are gonna be way different from mine. A lot of people still shorthand BOSE as “high end home theatre” even though the truth to somebody who post here would be rather different. Most people don’t give a poo poo, and that’s probably objectively a good thing.

But that’s how bad and uncompetitive in their market these headphones are. Like they legit make me question the personal character of the people being tossed $2-5k to promote them, because they feel like a scam product.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 2, 2021

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, my Sony WH-XB900N has recently started coming unhinged when sliding to max size (pandemic hair volume means I'm usually maxed out on the band) so I figured it was time to upgrade after a few years of generally good times. I grabbed the Sony WH-1000XM4 due to liking my XB900N a lot and the fact that it can connect to multiple devices (I'm usually switching between my Pixel 3, Samsung Q70, and a Macbook Pro) but now I'm seeing that it may not play well with Samsung TVs and also has a lot of latency issues (which the XB900N does not, I was able to watch movies and game with no problem). Is this something that was more of an issue when they first came on to the scene or are these still known issues? They arrive today so I'll have time to experiment but figured I'd ask the people who know. I only engage on headphone stuff when I need a new pair lol

Edit: Looks like whatever issues there were must not apply to my Samsung and/or got fixed. These things are great!

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 2, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
At what point do you look at a set of IEMs and think "Okay, maybe that's too many balanced armatures."

How about 15 per side?

https://www.linsoul.com/products/trn-ba15

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

grack posted:

At what point do you look at a set of IEMs and think "Okay, maybe that's too many balanced armatures."

How about 15 per side?

those IEMs are halfway to becoming mechanical clocks, lol

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

grack posted:

How about 15 per side?

I have the Noble K10s and they are freaking awesome. I’m not sure why I would want five more BAs a side.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Budget - $120 or less.
Source - Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - no preference, but I'd rather the squares at work not be able to hear my music or podcasts
Preferred Type of Headphone - slight preference for full sized, but any form factor really is fine
Preferred Tonal Balance - Warm to balanced?
Past Headphones - Trident Dunu with foam plugs were my favorite. I've got some Sennheiser CX 175 which are ok. The Cambridge Melomania I'm replacing sound a little anemic at low volume, plus they're made of tissue.
Preferred Music - Doom Metal is the target, but I also listen to a pretty wide variety.

Etc: something that isn't going to die if it hits sweat or a sprinkle of rain.

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 3, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BrainParasite posted:

Budget - $120 or less.
Source - Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - no preference, but I'd rather the squares at work not be able to hear my music or podcasts
Preferred Type of Headphone - no preference
Preferred Tonal Balance - Warm to balanced?
Past Headphones - Trident Dunu with foam plugs were my favorite. I've got some Sennheiser CX 175 which are ok. The Cambridge Melomania I'm replacing sound a little anemic at low volume, plus they're made of tissue.
Preferred Music - Doom Metal is the target, but I also listen to a pretty wide variety.

Etc: something that isn't going to die if it hits sweat or a sprinkle of rain.

What form factor do you prefer?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

How about 15 per side?

Pfft, thats child's play compared to this marvel of engineering

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

What form factor do you prefer?

Slight preference for full sized, but it's really not that important to me.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Looking for a recommendation for a new set of headphones, use case is gonna be walking around in public so something closed and over-ear looks like it'll be the way to go, and looking for robustness over sound quality. I'd prefer under $100, but I'm flexible if there's something that'll really make the difference a bit above that.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

trem_two posted:

Pfft, thats child's play compared to this marvel of engineering

A Facebook group I'm in had an Asian custom company talking about a 30 a side IEM which they'd designed but were taking interest on because the BOM for that many balanced armatures is insane.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
Well, my trusty Sennheiser 595s of ~15 years suddenly had their right side go out and even after taking it apart I don't see anything obviously wrong with the cable or the connections - so it might be the driver on the right side. In any case, a replacement cable or parts seem either entirely out of stock or expensive enough to not be worthwhile.

What's the scene like these days for an upgrade from the 595s? Are the 560S comparable at all? As I remember going up to the 600 is a much more neutral headphone from the 595. Willing to stray from Sennheisers if anyone has a solid recommendation.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
58x maybe?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hello. I have come again to ask for advice for IEMs.

Budget - $350
Source - Many. I have a FiiO M5 and will probably plug it direct into computers and phones of all ilks.
Isolation Requirements - I need isolation, but IEMs
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like heavy Bass
Past Headphones - I had/have some NX7s; I thought they were way too treble forward. Also the port for the headphone cables shattered on one of them, so they don't work.
Preferred Music - Metal, Techno. Zoom.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Blessing 2 Dusk

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

1mpper posted:

What's the scene like these days for an upgrade from the 595s? Are the 560S comparable at all? As I remember going up to the 600 is a much more neutral headphone from the 595. Willing to stray from Sennheisers if anyone has a solid recommendation.

560S, 58x or 6xx would all be a big upgrade.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

560S, 58x or 6xx would all be a big upgrade.

I would also add I went from a 595 to 598se to 6xx and the 6xx is the least neutral of them

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Budget - about $150-$200 Australian, so no more than about $150 USD
Source - New home desktop (pondering build options right now, nothing bought/built yet) to play not-particularly-intense games (I'm antisocial, nothing multiplayer), and listen to music while I do other things on the computer. I will probably plug them into my phone, a Sony Xperia 10 II (thanks for the stupid names, Sony) running Android, sometimes.
Isolation Requirements - No, it's my home office and I figure any headphone will work to keep my music to me and not bother my wife somewhere else in the house.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, full-size super-aural or full-size circumaural. Is the OP (from August 2013) still current regarding that glossary? I find any kind of in-ear headphone very uncomfortable, but over-ear 'phones that compress my ears aren't great either, especially if I'm wearing my glasses (rather than my contact lenses). Is there a style that puts most of the weight on the top of the head but doesn't feel loose and floppy?
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral, I guess. I've never really played around with emphasis of particular sound ranges. I will also be listening to speech in the form of podcasts and the occassional Zoom call.
Past Headphones - I've got a cheap pair of IEMs from KMart that I tolerate for 20-30 minutes, but my go-to are Sony MDR-ZX110NC noise-cancelling headphones that I bought in an airport several years ago. I quite like the noise-cancelling feature, it does well on buses and airplanes and even helps with the quiet background noise in my office. I'm not planning on replacing them, I'm looking for something that will stay at home. But they're reasonably comfortable and sound fine, for a few hours at a time.
Preferred Music - Rock, primarily. But I'm trying to branch out in my tastes. I like to be able to sing along so overwhelming bass is not necessary.

Also, after I get these figured out, is this a good place to ask about headphones for a child? I want to give my nephew some music and a way to listen to it for his 10th birthday early in 2022. It's possible I'll go with some kind of small speaker until he's a bit older (his mother, I assume, will want to maintain some control over what he's listening to), so if that's the consensus here I'll look into those options more carefully.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Epos H3 for you and Moki Kids for the uh, kid. JB Hi-Fi can supply both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
So in the course of a single business trip I managed to break my Aeropex Aftershokz and lose my nice Sony noise-canceling headphones. Waaahhh. I want to get one pair of headphones to replace them as my "do-everything" pair.

Things I've already looked into:
Bose Quiet Comfort 20: I don't want to buy a $250 pair of headphones with a built-in battery
Anker Liberty 2 Pro/Air Pro: seem to have really lovely mic quality based on the YouTube reviews I saw. Also the Air Pros had another deal killer I can't remember.
Jabra Elite Active 75t: seems like a decent option but I'm again concerned about battery lifespan relative to price
FiiO BTR3K plus some decent wired IEMs: appealing, but I would really prefer something with a transparency mode to let ambient sound through.

All that said, the 1More Dual Driver ANC Pro is currently my front runner on sale for $110. (Edit: not anymore, no transparency mode! Argh!) Anything else I should look at?

Budget - $50 per year of expected life, can go up to $250 if it's really, really worth it.
Source - Phone/tablet. Wired is fine but I suspect most suitable options will be wireless.
Frequency of use - More or less daily.
Isolation Requirements - ANC. Doesn't need to be Bose/Sony level but I do need transparency mode.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEMs without over-ear loops (Aftershokz + mask + glasses could get uncomfortable)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral I guess?
Past Headphones -
Not a ton of experience with IEMs (except cheap ones). Regarding the two headphones mentioned above, the Aeropex Aftershox were awesome for podcasts, calls, etc but decidedly "meh" for music or movies. The Sony WH-H900N was great for media but bulky for travel as it didn't fold flat.
Preferred Music - Meetings/calls, podcasts, classical, jazz, rock/pop, occasionally metal or old-school country.
Nice to have - Basic water/sweat resistance, corded option (if wireless)

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 6, 2021