Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dogen posted:

You might want to check your mixer settings and see if you can turn them down, or your sound card software (if any) to make sure you don’t have some kind of boost for high impedance applied.

I'm trying to decide if this bass/treble dial on the creative console console is supposed to be 50% = baseline or if anything >0 is "boost this digitally" since the default was apparently 50% (I'm leaning towards the latter). Worst case I can tell the EQ to lower global volume.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kirtar posted:

I went ahead and got these since they also seem good at the price point. Turns out that the volume is just about right at the minimum usable volume setting on my computer (it cuts out below 6%). I probably could have gotten away with higher impedence and/or lower sensitivity, but it's still infinitely more usable than what I had before.

There must be either another output on the card for headphones, or a gain setting in software to fix that. That's way way way too hot, and super not normal.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

There must be either another output on the card for headphones, or a gain setting in software to fix that. That's way way way too hot, and super not normal.

The only outputs on the card are RCA line/pre-out, mini Toslink, the rear headphone jack, and the connection to the front panel header. Levels on the front/rear ports sound more or less the same. Creative's software for this card isn't exactly great, so I'm not seeing any other gain settings (apart from mentioned above) that I actually have access to change. It's possible that there is some hidden thing about outputting the jack itself adjusting gain, but I'm not seeing any way to change it.

For what it's worth my Galaxy S10E only needs about 25-30% to reach normal listening levels as well so some of this is probably just I listen at relatively low volume.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 14, 2021

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Actually I revoke most of my praise about the xDuoo TA-20. Now that I started using it all day today and tried different IEM sets, It hisses so incredibly much with most of my IEMs that it's useless. Even if I have no source plugged in, and I've tried many different power outlets and multiple surge protectors to see if maybe it was a grounding issue, no matter what it's just overpowering hissing.

It sounded fine with the headphones I was using yesterday when I unboxed the amp, but I normally use IEMs like 95% of the time.

E: ah it must be one of the tubes, realized that the hissing was actually just in the right channel, I swapped the tubes and the hissing switched sides. The joys of fussy niche crap!

trem_two fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 15, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
honestly the apple usbc dongle is my favorite iem amp. i have like four of 'em.

e: for extra irony i don't use one on my phone, it's an lg v30 and sounds great as is

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 15, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

trem_two posted:

Actually I revoke most of my praise about the xDuoo TA-20. Now that I started using it all day today and tried different IEM sets, It hisses so incredibly much with most of my IEMs that it's useless. Even if I have no source plugged in, and I've tried many different power outlets and multiple surge protectors to see if maybe it was a grounding issue, no matter what it's just overpowering hissing.

It sounded fine with the headphones I was using yesterday when I unboxed the amp, but I normally use IEMs like 95% of the time.

E: ah it must be one of the tubes, realized that the hissing was actually just in the right channel, I swapped the tubes and the hissing switched sides. The joys of fussy niche crap!

have you swapped the original tubes on it? They’re probably gonna be noisier/crappier to begin with given that it’s like an inexpensive amp.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
They are generic chinese tubes. Get some RCA or GE or whatever.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

redeyes posted:

They are generic chinese tubes. Get some RCA or GE or whatever.

yeah you don’t have to get deep into the weeds on tube rolling, as the returns start to get pretty diminished pretty quick, but swapping out the generic tubes for literally anything name-brand/decent will do a lot. At minimum it should fix your noise problem.

And if you do want to dip your toe into tube rolling, getting a few inexpensive quality pairs (or even like a grab-bag) isn’t a bad way to go either

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah you don’t have to get deep into the weeds on tube rolling, as the returns start to get pretty diminished pretty quick, but swapping out the generic tubes for literally anything name-brand/decent will do a lot. At minimum it should fix your noise problem.

And if you do want to dip your toe into tube rolling, getting a few inexpensive quality pairs (or even like a grab-bag) isn’t a bad way to go either

Exactly, and really its only like 15-20 bux a pair.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Yeah, cheers for the tube advice, I'll get some new ones soon. Two other things arrived yesterday, Sony WF-1000XM4 and Tanchjim Tanya.

I listened to the Sony a lot yesterday and early this morning. They're good for a TWS set, and the overall package in terms of case/app/noise cancelling is nice, but the hype is overdone. I think that my Technics TWS set are better in terms of detail, bass texture, and vocal presence, although the Sonys are way better in every non audio way (case, charging, app, noise cancelling, fit, supported codecs, etc.). My Jabra 85t are very similar in terms of sound and noise cancelling, with the Sonys sounding a bit more natural in terms of tonality, are a bit better in detail retrieval, and have better treble (once I bump up the EQ a bit), but the Jabra have way better sound stage, have dual pairing, are more comfortable. The Sony's have extremely L/R axis sound stage with no forward projection, it sounds like the music is being played by the artists directly on the opposite sides of your head piped directly into your ears instead of any sort of natural presentation. Oh I also had to EQ the bass way down on the Sonys because in the stock setting the bass is insanely farty and flabby.

Been using the Tanyas for a while this morning and they are rad for an ultimate cheap-o set, although as redeyes noted they do require a lot of juice. Kind of defeats the initial purpose I got them for, which was to use them out of my laptop headphone jack to use for switching back and forth between music listening and work video calls. Still, they're dirt cheap and sound super sweet, great vocals, good bass texture for rock music, mids have some bite but aren't shouty, good separation and sound stage, treble isn't overdone, super lightweight and comfortable. Highly recommended.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Heey thats great to hear!! For sure Tanya is my low cost pick. I bought 5 of them to give to my friends. I can't help but love the form factor as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hello headphone thread, I am stuck in a well of headphone reviews and technologies and I am reaching out to you, the experts, that I promise to at least listen to before completely ignoring.
I need some bluetooth headphones for work, they need to be multipoint to stream music from my phone and do teams calls on my laptop (or take calls on my work cell and stream+teams on my laptop). I have a large head and wear glasses. I don't care if they're in/on/over ear. I have an android phone so Aptx would be nice so my music doesn't sound like total rear end.
Do I need noise cancelling? Not really, but ambient pass through is very useful if the passive isolation is very good, so...
I have good headphones at home, they don't have microphones.
I don't want to spent much more than $200 CAD. They also have to be comfortable for wearing for hours at a time.
For every review that says some feature is excellent, there's another saying some other aspect is worse than hell.

What I have been able to determine do far:

Bose soundlink 2
+comfortable
+multipoint bluetooth
+reportedly decent, if Boselike sound quality
-complaints about crappy multipoint bluetooth
-complaints about sound leakage
-no nc
-no aptx support

JBL live 650btnc
+nc
+multipoint
-lovely mic
-reportedly clamps head like vise
-no aptx
-sound quality kinda meh.

Plantronics 6200 UC
+nc
+excellent multipoint support
+probably pretty comfortable
-sound quality a big ?
-no ambient pass through
-no aptx

Umm
Sennheiser hd450bt
+sound quality
+aptx
+multipoint
+nc
-reported comfort issues (maybe fixable with replacement pads?)
-lovely mic
-nc isn't great
-no pass through audio.

I'm going to buy some Sony wf-1000xm3 true wireless earbuds that do nothing I want well enough and completely lack the most important feature and promptly lose one of the buds within a week, but pretend I'm not going to do that...
Do I go for the Bose for comfort?
Or the Senns for everything else?
Or just go crazy and spend double my budget on some total overkill Sony WX-1000xm4s?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 16, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn’t the sound link a speaker? Do you mean one of the quiet comfort sets or like one of their earbuds or..?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

powderific posted:

Isn’t the sound link a speaker? Do you mean one of the quiet comfort sets or like one of their earbuds or..?

Can't beat Bose for confusing nomenclature. At least alphabet/number soup follows some kind of vague internal logic.
https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/...phones_ii_black

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

trem_two posted:

Two other things arrived yesterday, Sony WF-1000XM4 and Tanchjim Tanya.

My Jabra 85t are very similar in terms of sound and noise cancelling
I currently have some Jabra 65ts that I really like. I've had them for years and they were the first pair of TWS headphone I've owned that actually met some level of decency. These days, I primarily use them for for exercise, which is generally weightlifting and outdoor cycling, so fit is pretty important but I don't do anything really impactful like running.

Any thoughts on either of these for fit? I understand the 85t isn't as snug as the 65/75.

How does the pass-through compare between the Sony and 85t?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Finger Prince posted:

Can't beat Bose for confusing nomenclature. At least alphabet/number soup follows some kind of vague internal logic.
https://www.bose.ca/en_ca/products/...phones_ii_black

Oh wild, I hadn’t ever seen those. I have the OG QC35 and am very happy with them fwiw. The multi device thing works ok, not as well as my airpod pros but that wouldn’t be great for Android anyway.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just discovered the Sennheiser HD1 wireless (aka momentum 2) is/does just about everything I want in a wireless headphone and there's an amazon warehouse deal for $164 and it's probably trashed and full of ear bugs and I'll have to return it, but I'm gonna stay in this well for now.
Thanks for listening!

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

trem_two posted:

Oh I also had to EQ the bass way down on the Sonys because in the stock setting the bass is insanely farty and flabby.

I had to do this with my WH-1000XM3. I always wonder if reviewers who rave about the sound quality are listening with stock EQ because if so :cry:
I might look into the Jabras if you think they are a good alternative.
Also are the Tanyas ok to use with a Galaxy Note 9 or would they need more power? I was thinking of grabbing a set just to throw in my bag to have on hand.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Pegnose Pete posted:

I had to do this with my WH-1000XM3. I always wonder if reviewers who rave about the sound quality are listening with stock EQ because if so :cry:
I might look into the Jabras if you think they are a good alternative.
Also are the Tanyas ok to use with a Galaxy Note 9 or would they need more power? I was thinking of grabbing a set just to throw in my bag to have on hand.

I think the Tanya's should be absolutely fine, afaik those Notes have decent quality from the headphone jack. I listened to the Tanya from my LG v40 in low gain mode and while I had to turn up the volume a fair bit compared to like TFZ or KZ sets, but not close to being maxed out. Perfect for that use case.

I'll post some more thoughts about the Sony wf-1000xm4 vs the Jabra 85t in the next day or so after I do some specific comparisons on tracks I know, and like noise cancelling scenarios.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Are you on the phone/conf calls alot? Why not get a dedicated headset for the calls if you already have nice headphones?

I've got the Jabra wireless headset. It's fantastic for calls.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

Are you on the phone/conf calls alot? Why not get a dedicated headset for the calls if you already have nice headphones?

I've got the Jabra wireless headset. It's fantastic for calls.

Yeah, scheduled calls most of the morning. All my nice headphones are wired. So essentially the thing I'm shopping for is a dedicated wireless headset for phone calls and Teams stuff, that can block out some office noise and distractions, that I can also use to listen to music when I'm not in a meeting or on the phone (instead of having to switch back and forth between different headphones, and miss calls because I didn't hear the ring or notification).
There are probably a few different ways to crack this egg, but in my particular situation, I think connecting one heaset to two devices is going to be the easiest workaround.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Ok I've been trading off the Sony WF-1000XM4 and the Jabra 85t this morning, and I do think the Sony set is better sounding overall. Once I got the EQ really dialed in to my preferences the Sonys sound very good. Better in just about every way in terms of sonic performance compared to the Jabras, with the exception of sound stage depth. The WF-1000XM4 has better tonal accuracy, more details, better bass extension and control (once you've EQed the bass way down), better treble, better vocals, better on drums/percussion/cymbals, etc.. The Jabras still do sound good though, they're just a more relaxed and subdued sounding.

They are very similar in terms of noise cancelling, the Sony might be a little bit better, but it's hard to really differentiate much, they both are excellent with ANC, by comparison way better than my other Technics set that has ANC. They both have good phone apps. The Jabras are far more comfortable, I can use them in bed and it doesn't annoy me to lay on my side but that's not true with the Sonys.

So yeah, WF-1000XM4 is very good, definitely my best TWS set. Might be worth waiting until they go on sale before picking them up because they are expensive as gently caress, but Sony stuff usually does go on sale eventually.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

trem_two posted:

Ok I've been trading off the Sony WF-1000XM4 and the Jabra 85t this morning, and I do think the Sony set is better sounding overall. Once I got the EQ really dialed in to my preferences the Sonys sound very good. Better in just about every way in terms of sonic performance compared to the Jabras, with the exception of sound stage depth. The WF-1000XM4 has better tonal accuracy, more details, better bass extension and control (once you've EQed the bass way down), better treble, better vocals, better on drums/percussion/cymbals, etc.. The Jabras still do sound good though, they're just a more relaxed and subdued sounding.

They are very similar in terms of noise cancelling, the Sony might be a little bit better, but it's hard to really differentiate much, they both are excellent with ANC, by comparison way better than my other Technics set that has ANC. They both have good phone apps. The Jabras are far more comfortable, I can use them in bed and it doesn't annoy me to lay on my side but that's not true with the Sonys.

So yeah, WF-1000XM4 is very good, definitely my best TWS set. Might be worth waiting until they go on sale before picking them up because they are expensive as gently caress, but Sony stuff usually does go on sale eventually.

I've been in deliberation about what sort of earbuds to get and I've been going thinking of the two here. I only really want earbuds for my Galaxy S21 Ultra phone so I've also had some consideration for the Galaxy Pro earbuds but...I just don't know.

Since I'm pretty much using the earbuds exclusively with my phone, any recommendations?

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

trem_two posted:

Thank you! How does fit/weight compare beyond comfort? Do the Sonys feel like they're going to go anywhere during exercise?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

TopHatGenius posted:

I've been in deliberation about what sort of earbuds to get and I've been going thinking of the two here. I only really want earbuds for my Galaxy S21 Ultra phone so I've also had some consideration for the Galaxy Pro earbuds but...I just don't know.

Since I'm pretty much using the earbuds exclusively with my phone, any recommendations?

Yeah if you've got the cash to spend, they're both very good. The various Samsung Galaxy sets are all supposed to sound very good as well, and you can get most of them for quite a bit cheaper than the Sony and Jabra. I think the ones with ANC aren't supposed to be as good at actually cancelling noise as the Sony and 85t from what I've read.

crackhaed posted:

Thank you! How does fit/weight compare beyond comfort? Do the Sonys feel like they're going to go anywhere during exercise?

The fit feels stable to me. I've taken them out walking the dog without issue but nothing more vigorous than that. I did switch to some aftermarket silicon tips which were a bit more stable than the largest stock hybrid tips. The Sony phone app said I had an airtight seal with the stock tips but I just tip rolled anyways and ended up sticking with the AZLA Sedna EarfitLight tips because they sounded and fit better.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Picked up those Grados, amp/DAC is on the menu next month, budget of single dad with two black hole fueled teenagers permitting but I did find something curious in a drawer, which checking my Amazon orders are Linsoul KZ ZSX from a couple years ago back when I got curious about IEMs. I'm still curious about IEMs but I tried these again and it was borderline painful to have them seated as close to correctly as I could figure out in my ear, so I'm assuming the tips or the bit the tips go on is way too big for me and I was wondering about either solutions to that or other entry level IEMs that people might recommend for someone with stupidly shaped/extremely narrow ears.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ok wow. My sennheiser HD1/momentum 2s arrived today. They are fantastic. The noise cancelling, while it can't be turned off, is really not obtrusive at all. No cabin pressure to speak of. I think I might just wear these all day in my apartment so I can have the window open. Sound quality is excellent. Not as head filling as my ATH-A900, and not as crystal clear awesome as my SR225 Grados, but still highly good enough. Really comfortable too, so far. Build quality seems really good.
Ok so yes, there was some mystery dust and possibly space spores on the leather earpads, but a wipe down with a leather cleaner cloth took care of that. For $185 all in (used $180 worth of gift cards I had), I ain't complaining.
I haven't tried the multipoint or call quality yet, but I'm sure it'll do the job.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Another thing I'll point out about the Sony WF-1000XM4 is that they deal with windy conditions better than any other TWS set I've used, and it's not even close. Was out in the wind early this morning and turned on the special mode for windy conditions and it works great.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i'm completely in the dark when it comes to how bluetooth headphones work, so bare with me as i join everyone ITYOOL 2021 on this:

should a set of headphones, say like, the HD-450BT, have a button where you can press it and it will change the device its paired to, to another one in its stored memory?

the manual says on boot it'll pair itself to the last two devices it was connected to, but can store up to 8 pairings in its memory, but doesn't say anything about being able to cycle thru those pairings. is this something that headphones can do? i know with this bose speaker we have, we can cycle thru by pressing the bluetooth button and the voice assistant will shout out names of devices until you land on the one you want.

asking this because:

we bought this Avantree headphone/transmitter combo for a family member, but the headphones that came with it seem to put 100% priority on pairing with the included transmitter, only way to release its grip is to just power the transmitter completely off. after that, trying to get the headphones to re-connect to the phone they're also paired to is a complete crapshoot. Not ideal for the person who wants to have the headphones for all around use.

we're willing to return the avantree combo and go another direction, i just want to make sure we get both headphones and a transmitter with APTX LL so they can use them with the TV.

Too Many Birds fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 21, 2021

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Does anyone know where you can buy the foam they make headphone pads/cushions out of? I bought a new work headset that I really like but the pads are curved to fit normal sized heads and not my giant noggin. I'm hoping that I can spend some time with an exacto knife and some foam to create something that fits a bit better but all I can find so far are replacement pads and not the material itself.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I grabbed the Topping L30/E30 stack on Prime Day (Japan) for 10% off. Had my eye on it for a while and figured I'd pull the trigger.
It's sold by Shenzhen Audio through Amazon so it should be the new, non exploding version of the L30.
Going to pair them with my Q701s for 24 bit FLAC stuff.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Too Many Birds posted:

i'm completely in the dark when it comes to how bluetooth headphones work, so bare with me as i join everyone ITYOOL 2021 on this:

should a set of headphones, say like, the HD-450BT, have a button where you can press it and it will change the device its paired to, to another one in its stored memory?

the manual says on boot it'll pair itself to the last two devices it was connected to, but can store up to 8 pairings in its memory, but doesn't say anything about being able to cycle thru those pairings. is this something that headphones can do? i know with this bose speaker we have, we can cycle thru by pressing the bluetooth button and the voice assistant will shout out names of devices until you land on the one you want.

asking this because:

we bought this Avantree headphone/transmitter combo for a family member, but the headphones that came with it seem to put 100% priority on pairing with the included transmitter, only way to release its grip is to just power the transmitter completely off. after that, trying to get the headphones to re-connect to the phone they're also paired to is a complete crapshoot. Not ideal for the person who wants to have the headphones for all around use.

we're willing to return the avantree combo and go another direction, i just want to make sure we get both headphones and a transmitter with APTX LL so they can use them with the TV.

I just went through this whole thing myself, so let me share what I learned. Basically nobody does a hardware switch between devices. I think Bose had a version of their quiet comfort headphones that had one, but it doesn't anymore. What everyone (including those HD-BT450s) use is multipoint bluetooth. The headphones stay simultaneously connected to two devices. How exactly which one has priority is kind of muddy, since in general the typical design concept is to take a phone call while listening to music on a laptop, as an example. It doesn't have to be that setup, it can be two phones, a pc and a laptop, whatever. But generally, if your phone rings, it'll pause the other device and allow the phone audio through.
Now, if you're listening to Spotify or whatever on your phone, and your laptop running Teams rings... I don't know what will happen. I intend to find out when I'm back in the office.
Multipoint implementation is still pretty rare on BT headphones, so I think it's still pretty open to interpretation how a brand wants to do it, and what they intend the headphones to be used for.
Straight up press play on one device, you get that audio, then press play on the 2nd device, it takes over, press play again on the 1st device and it takes over again is the most basic thing they all should do though.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i don't even think the avantree headphones we bought do multipoint. so i think what we'll do is return that whole setup and then just rebuy the transmitter on its own and find whatever pair of APTX LL headphones that do multipoint that we can find.

thanks

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I just bought a guitar and a way too loud amp and I'd like to buy some headphones so I can practice my guitar without ruining my marriage. The type of headphones doesn't really matter, because I'll probably be in a room by myself most of the time. I think I like over the ear headphones over ear buds.

I'm looking to spend $100-150. I can spend more if there's really something that's leagues better at like $169.99, but I am not an audiophile and I'm also a terrible guitarist. I saw a few randos on the internet speaking pretty highly of the AKG K240 MK2, can I do a lot better than that?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
oof, yes you can do better than k240s.

k371 is the current AKG model and it's pretty good, but my rec would be status audio CB-1.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

KodiakRS posted:

Does anyone know where you can buy the foam they make headphone pads/cushions out of? I bought a new work headset that I really like but the pads are curved to fit normal sized heads and not my giant noggin. I'm hoping that I can spend some time with an exacto knife and some foam to create something that fits a bit better but all I can find so far are replacement pads and not the material itself.

Knockoff Grado pads are super cheap and you can fit them on tons of things, search on amazon.

it's slightly silly but koss kph30i with grado pads are lowkey astounding for the price

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

oof, yes you can do better than k240s.

k371 is the current AKG model and it's pretty good, but my rec would be status audio CB-1.

gently caress yeah, those status audio CB-1s were less than $60 out the door and it looks like they'll be more than adequate for what I'm doing. Thanks man

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Stalizard posted:

I just bought a guitar and a way too loud amp and I'd like to buy some headphones so I can practice my guitar without ruining my marriage. The type of headphones doesn't really matter, because I'll probably be in a room by myself most of the time. I think I like over the ear headphones over ear buds.

I'm looking to spend $100-150. I can spend more if there's really something that's leagues better at like $169.99, but I am not an audiophile and I'm also a terrible guitarist. I saw a few randos on the internet speaking pretty highly of the AKG K240 MK2, can I do a lot better than that?

I don't agree with everyone ASR headphone review, but their K240 review is on point. They're a hilariously janky and outdated headphone

The K371 are very nice for studio-style closed backs. There is even a Bluetooth version that you can use cabled when you need to.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thinking about the Sony WF-1000XM4s since reviewers seem to universally peg them as “can’t go wrong” for the general population. Came in here to see if these are the right choice or if there are better or more price competitive options. Things which are important to me, from most to least important:

1) noise canceling isolation: will be using this in the office and at home where I’m usually exposed to chatter I don’t want to hear. If I can get that reduced to an amorphous rumble that I can’t get distracted from, that would be great.

2)comfort: my comfort kings are base AirPods, which I oftentimes forget that I’m wearing. My ATH-AD700s are pretty close to being so comfortable I forget I’m wearing them.

3) battery life: better than AirPods please. I’ve been on calls and zoom meetings where I have to use my phone mic after 2-3 hours.

4) W1-like chip that can pause music with a gesture or when I remove the headphones. Apparently these things work with multiple devices which would allow me to switch between my phone and games with them?

and then lastly sound quality but I’m entirely happy with how my AirPods sound compared to my ATH-AD700s which would probably get me laughed out of an audiophile forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Thinking about the Sony WF-1000XM4s since reviewers seem to universally peg them as “can’t go wrong” for the general population. Came in here to see if these are the right choice or if there are better or more price competitive options. Things which are important to me, from most to least important:

1) noise canceling isolation: will be using this in the office and at home where I’m usually exposed to chatter I don’t want to hear. If I can get that reduced to an amorphous rumble that I can’t get distracted from, that would be great.

2)comfort: my comfort kings are base AirPods, which I oftentimes forget that I’m wearing. My ATH-AD700s are pretty close to being so comfortable I forget I’m wearing them.

3) battery life: better than AirPods please. I’ve been on calls and zoom meetings where I have to use my phone mic after 2-3 hours.

4) W1-like chip that can pause music with a gesture or when I remove the headphones. Apparently these things work with multiple devices which would allow me to switch between my phone and games with them?

and then lastly sound quality but I’m entirely happy with how my AirPods sound compared to my ATH-AD700s which would probably get me laughed out of an audiophile forum.

I think you should strongly consider the Jabra 85t, it very closely fits your list of wants, better than the Sony I think. I've posted about them I this thread. You can also get refurbs directly from Jabra for about $160.