Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good 3.5mm cable for headphones? A good brand or site to buy from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I like the one VModa sells

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/audio-only-cable

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Thanks!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'll second that, they're super durable and the 45 degree plug is handy

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Prices on iems have gone through the roof. I'm really unhappy with the markup. Lets take for instance the new Campfire 3x 10mm IEM (per side). Thats 6x 10mm ADLC drivers which cost at MOST $10 a piece. IEM is $3000+

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i don't think anyone has ever looked toward campfire audio as a price to performance leader, to be fair

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
True true. It just seems prices have almost doubled recently on high end stuff. Whatever, Im good with my few iems, RSV, EJ07, and Olina.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm not surprised loads of companies are pushing into higher price brackets because trying to compete at basically anything under $300 seems like suicide right now with how many great options there are. At least over $500 you can manage a cult following from people who need to justify spending big money on an average IEM to themselves.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There are over 360 pages in this thread going back nine years, so: I'm looking for a good pair of wired, over-the-ear headphones that are affordable (ideally, ~$30 or under). Do you have any recommendations? I'm not particularly an audiophile and I don't need gaming headset stuff; just a good pair of reliable headphones for working on my laptop.

Thanks in advance.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think koss protapros are the default "good" budget option and will remain so in the forseeable future.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The KPH40 have the same drivers as the Porta Pro with a less ‘80s design [this may be good or bad depending on the individual]

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I picked up the beige KPH30 a few months ago (which I believe use the same drivers as both the above) and love them. Thought they'd be good for the price, but they're just genuinely good. When I bought them directly from Koss' website there was a coupon code and free shipping, so you might be able to pay a little less than the listed $30.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

lol, the ER4 is still a spectacular headphone. I actually like the old connector better, their recessed mmcx is a pain in the rear end.
There's always something better of course but I'm still very happy with them. Most of the time at home I use The HD6XX now since I don't have to stick them into my ears (have a bit of a surfer's ear going on which is a problem), and I don't spend as much time riding public transport where the IEMs had been really invaluable. Just busted them out for a long plane trip and, welp. I don't really have any issues with the connector, it works fine, just a bummer that it's non-standard and I have to hunt for a replacement, but it's the first time in god knows how many years so whatever.

I have the ER-4P model. Would you know wich cable I actually need? From what I remember, some of the variants had a built-in filter or something so I wonder if this 22 Ohm balanced one is what I need: https://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5997

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just to point this out. The Shouer EJ07 is the best Etymotic they never made:

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=ER3SE,EJ07

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

redeyes posted:

Just to point this out. The Shouer EJ07 is the best Etymotic they never made:

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=ER3SE,EJ07

Looks like you linked to a premium feature

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

mobby_6kl posted:

I have the ER-4P model. Would you know wich cable I actually need? From what I remember, some of the variants had a built-in filter or something so I wonder if this 22 Ohm balanced one is what I need: https://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5997

22 ohm should be just fine iirc.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

emdash posted:

Nice, please post your impressions!

So I've been playing around and using the Sony XM5s for a few days now. Like I said earlier, I'm coming from the XM3, and the difference is very noticeable. I've never used the XM4, and it would be interesting to compare it with that as well.

The XM3 was already very comfortable for me to wear, and these are somehow even more so. Maybe it's the new synthetic leather pads or the headband, probably a combination of everything. Noise canceling on the XM3 was already great, and these are even better. I won't be back in the office for another week, and I'm curious how they'll perform compared to the XM3. Even without the ANC turned on, I was always impressed at how well the XM3 could block out and muffle sounds. Maybe it's due to the plush earpads and material of headphones? Not sure. But these are the same, thankfully.

Most reviews have noted the change in the sound signature, and I was curious to hear it. Personally, it's a big improvement, even before playing around with the EQ. Not that the XM3 bothered me much, but the XM5 definitely have better mids and things sound less muffled. Really enjoying them so far and looking forward to putting them to the test when I'm back at the office.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

101 posted:

Nah, I dont have premium. Just scroll down?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Nah, I dont have premium. Just scroll down?

Confirmed, link works for me.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

101 posted:

disable script-blockers on that site?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It was just really faint at the bottom on mobile and I missed it. My bad

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Crinacle was tweeting last week about looking for a developer to remake his website so he clearly knows its a drat mess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got bored of waiting for my S22 so decided to spend some of my employer's money on wireless Samsung Buds Pro. They got delivered the next day lol.

• Ambient mode sounds like I stuck my head into a waterfall even on lowest setting
  • ANC barely does anything. Slighty lowers the fan noise from my PC but almost no impact on the sound of a plane flyning outside or pink/white noise played through the speakers.
  • Sound's ok but the ER4s are out of commision so I can't really compare them directly. Obviously more bassy of course.
  • No 360 sound with my Note9. I'm not really sure what's the point but wanted to test the gimmick.
  • E: After wearing them for a bit, not as uncomfortable as I thought but they seem to still slowly slide out and I feel like there's a decent chance they'll just pop right out if I ran or jumped for some reason.
  • The touch controls are also meh. They do respond well if you want to pause or switch ANC, but there are a lot of false responses if you're just trying to adjust them in your ear

Updated to be more clear as a review. Not bad by any means but maybe a bit disappointing after all the "true wireless" hype. These cost almost $250, thoug apparently you can get them for around $100 on Amazon which is a lot more reasonable. I can see using them at the gym or something but I really want to get my ER4 cable replaced now.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 26, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I got bored of waiting for my S22 so decided to spend some of my employer's money on wireless buds pro. They got delivered the next day lol.

Ambient mode sounds like I stuck my head into a waterfall even on lowest setting
ANC barely does anything. Slighty lowers the fan noise from my PC but almost no impact on the sound of a plane flyning outside or pink/white noise played through the speakers.
Sound's ok but the ER4s are out of commision so I can't really compare them directly. Obviously more bassy of course.
No 360 sound with my Note9. I'm not really sure what's the point but wanted to test the gimmick.
E: After wearing them for a bit, not as uncomfortable as I thought but they seem to still slowly slide out and I feel like there's a decent chance they'll just pop right out if I ran or jumped for some reason.

I had the same issue with mine when running without a cap or something to hold them in. It got worse when I opened my mouth to start breathing in while jogging and had to constantly fiddle with the left one cause it felt like it could fall off at any time. Some people say aftermarket tips improve it

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Are there any budget-friendly hidden germs like the BLON BL03s, but in bluetooth form? I've ordered a few Lenovo wireless earbuds from AliExpress which are around 20 bucks each. They seem fine, but i'm sure there is some obscure treasure I don't know about.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

If you are ok with behind the ears I like the AZ09, they last a long time and no static or noise, I personally can't tell the difference from the stock cable.

I recently bought the BL03s and like them a lot, however the connection was square, instead of oval (I had the C pin/oval style AZ09). So I took a Dremel to my brand new BL03s (literally got them 3 days ago) and turned the connections into the oval style to fit my AZ09s, mainly because I didn't want to buy another pair or wait a month to get them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There's a small cult following around the Soundcore Dots, and Moondrop have the Nekocake which are about $50 and I'm pretty keen on. They just announced a black version called the Kuroneko too.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

njsykora posted:

There's a small cult following around the Soundcore Dots, and Moondrop have the Nekocake which are about $50 and I'm pretty keen on. They just announced a black version called the Kuroneko too.

The Moondrops look pretty good!. I really wish I hadn't ordered another pair of new earphones just yesterday (lenovo lp50) as I would have picked these up. Maybe once they crap out. Thank you for the recommendation, and looking forward to more!

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 25, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rakeris posted:

If you are ok with behind the ears I like the AZ09, they last a long time and no static or noise, I personally can't tell the difference from the stock cable.

I recently bought the BL03s and like them a lot, however the connection was square, instead of oval (I had the C pin/oval style AZ09). So I took a Dremel to my brand new BL03s (literally got them 3 days ago) and turned the connections into the oval style to fit my AZ09s, mainly because I didn't want to buy another pair or wait a month to get them.

Just fyi, qdc reverses the pins as well. I don't think it really matters if both sides are 180 degrees out of phase (though others would argue about it), just something to be aware of I guess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I had the same issue with mine when running without a cap or something to hold them in. It got worse when I opened my mouth to start breathing in while jogging and had to constantly fiddle with the left one cause it felt like it could fall off at any time. Some people say aftermarket tips improve it

Aftermarket tips you say :thunk:

The tri-flange one (not Etymotic, this one has a wider opening) sits very securely, and seems to help a bit with isolation and ANC, but the buds stick out a bit too much for my taste. The foam one actually workes pretty well but the bud doesn't sit in it very securely since it's just in the foam because I had to remove the inner tube Etymotic put there for the ER4 to make it fit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I picked up some of Dekoni's "jerzee" pads for my HD25 and they're heaven. Back to being my favorite closed-back headphones, despite being on-ear they're super comfy now.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I am looking for a replacement for my Jabra 75 headset for work calls. It has one specific feature I really like, which is that flipping up the microphone automatically mutes it. I like having that physical indicator so I don't have to worry about accidentally unmuting. Are there other brands with the same function? Is there a name for that I should be including in my search terms?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wheatpuppy posted:

I am looking for a replacement for my Jabra 75 headset for work calls. It has one specific feature I really like, which is that flipping up the microphone automatically mutes it. I like having that physical indicator so I don't have to worry about accidentally unmuting. Are there other brands with the same function? Is there a name for that I should be including in my search terms?

The entire Logitech G93x family has this feature, and I'd assume their wired G63x cousins have it as well. No idea how low in the range it goes but there's that. I think a few other gaming style headsets have it as well if that's something you're OK with.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
What is the consensus on galaxy buds? Is it kinda like Beats, as in it's all about the name and they aren't worth the money? Online impressions seem pretty favourable. Anyone rocking these? If so, which ones - there seem to be about 5 different ones...Any better alternatives in that price point? I like good bass... Thank you :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I tried a workmate’s Buds+ and they’re good, with how cheap the Buds 2 are around here (under £100) I feel like they’re a no brainer at that price point. The Buds+ have way higher battery life but they have that weird following that makes them more expensive than they should be.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

henpod posted:

What is the consensus on galaxy buds? Is it kinda like Beats, as in it's all about the name and they aren't worth the money? Online impressions seem pretty favourable. Anyone rocking these? If so, which ones - there seem to be about 5 different ones...Any better alternatives in that price point? I like good bass... Thank you :)

Well you can see my comments regarding the Buds Pro above :)

They're fine but if I were spending my own money I think I'd just get decent Chinese buds for like $20 because all the extra "value add" stuff is a gimmick and the sound would be 90% the same.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Well you can see my comments regarding the Buds Pro above :)

They're fine but if I were spending my own money I think I'd just get decent Chinese buds for like $20 because all the extra "value add" stuff is a gimmick and the sound would be 90% the same.

Ah, perhaps I should at least read the page...Hm, seems like they aren't quite worth the money!

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Just fyi, qdc reverses the pins as well. I don't think it really matters if both sides are 180 degrees out of phase (though others would argue about it), just something to be aware of I guess.

Interesting; I did some phase tests and they appear to correctly replicate the sound, (granted the tests were for speakers) I also did some spatial tests and the ones I tried replicated the correct position/s.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

henpod posted:

Ah, perhaps I should at least read the page...Hm, seems like they aren't quite worth the money!

It's not like I made it very clear what that post was about. And that's just my personal opinion, I'd also see what people who tested more of these think. Maybe the Buds2 would make morse sense than the Pros :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rakeris posted:

Interesting; I did some phase tests and they appear to correctly replicate the sound, (granted the tests were for speakers) I also did some spatial tests and the ones I tried replicated the correct position/s.

Yeah, if both sides are flipped it's unnoticeable. I wouldn't worry about it tbh.