Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

repiv posted:

there are devices that take digital input and relay it to LDAC like the fiio BTA30 but i'm not aware of any that combine that functionality with a wired headphone driver
A phone with a headphone jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

priznat posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for a USB DAC that supports both wired and bluetooth headphones (LDAC would be awesome)?

No, that's not what a DAC does. If you're looking to connect your bluetooth device to your computer via LDAC, you need some sort of audio bluetooth transmitter since the OS usually doesn't support those codecs. I believe Sennheiser makes one, there are knockoffs for much cheaper on amazon.

priznat posted:

Somewhat unrelated, I have my XM5 headphones now and I really like them although my one complaint is the bluetooth connection to my iphone is kinda bad. Playing music is fine it is the microphone for calls, it just cuts out a lot. Actually even the audio is bad but only with Teams. With music, no problem. Is it telling me teams sucks? Probably!

That's because the codec used for "communications" like Teams drops down to low bitrate SBC. It's a bluetooth problem, I think it happens to most headsets.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, that's not what a DAC does. If you're looking to connect your bluetooth device to your computer via LDAC, you need some sort of audio bluetooth transmitter since the OS usually doesn't support those codecs. I believe Sennheiser makes one, there are knockoffs for much cheaper on amazon.

That's because the codec used for "communications" like Teams drops down to low bitrate SBC. It's a bluetooth problem, I think it happens to most headsets.

Ah yea my request was a little unclear.. I would like something (if it exists) that is both a DAC for powered headphones and has the bluetooth LDAC transmitter so I can do either or from my PC.. But probably that would require two separate items.

Any fixes for that low bitrate issue with Teams? I would like to use my xm5s there but they sound way worse than my airpods pro when on my iphone using teams. Sucks.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
Very much a causal audio person - haven't bought a new pair of headphones in years. Have a bit more cash to play with than previously though, so any suggestions for the below please?

Budget - 250 GBP
Source - Pixel 6
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - On-ear, closed-back
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea
Past Headphones - Bose Soundlink On-Ear, Koss Porta-Pros
Preferred Music - Audiobooks/podcasts, electronic, ambient

Need a new pair of commuting headphones, mostly walking, occasionally bus or train. Noise-cancellation doesn't really bother me. Has to be bluetooth, ideally something sturdy that can survive getting tossed in a case/bag when I'm not wearing them.

Am I in "it doesn't really matter" territory or does anything stand out at this price range as particularly good?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Major Ryan posted:

Very much a causal audio person - haven't bought a new pair of headphones in years. Have a bit more cash to play with than previously though, so any suggestions for the below please?

Budget - 250 GBP
Source - Pixel 6
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - On-ear, closed-back
Preferred Tonal Balance - No idea
Past Headphones - Bose Soundlink On-Ear, Koss Porta-Pros
Preferred Music - Audiobooks/podcasts, electronic, ambient

Need a new pair of commuting headphones, mostly walking, occasionally bus or train. Noise-cancellation doesn't really bother me. Has to be bluetooth, ideally something sturdy that can survive getting tossed in a case/bag when I'm not wearing them.

Am I in "it doesn't really matter" territory or does anything stand out at this price range as particularly good?

Honestly sounds like a set of Bluetooth earbuds with good ANC would be a better fit for you than some full-fat over-ears with a closed back and physical sound insulation

A $150-200 set of Beats Fit Pro or Studio Buds Plus will give you all of the isolation of big headphones when you want it, plus Transparency/etc modes when you don’t, the ability to just use one earbud when listening to audiobooks/etc, they store in a pocketable hardcase when not in use/charging which makes transporting them a breeze, and you’ll appreciate their small size when wearing them.

I think over/on-ear headphones are great and I own several sets, I used to be a “big headphone guy” at school and work, but especially for commuting (especially via train/plane/etc) I think it’s very worth giving contemporary ANC buds a shot.

I find the ANC to be completely 100% worthwhile just for how much lower I can run my audio volume, without having to compete with the din of ambient/road/train/plane noise.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 8, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno, but I am so wary of USB C stuff at this point. This is third time I have had something melt a port (all different devices and chargers. I got rid of any problematic stuff in the past). Everything uses it and nothing comes with a charger anymore just some 2 inch generic USB C cable with little to no info or warnings. This is the first one that stings though. Everything else was cheap junk.

Charging has been weird with this thing from the get go. I posted earlier about how it wouldn't indicate it was charging unless it was on so I often had no idea if it was charging. The last few days I tried to charge it off the lamp on my nightstand and laptop just to find it at a an almost dead battery so it didn't actually charge. So I plugged it in to a usb port on my couch. I have used this port to charge it many times and also use it for other various things including Inzones which are basically the same headphones for gaming. never had any issues. Then all of a sudden I come home to this. The port and headphones where bone dry so I don't think it was moisture or anything.

Anyways look at this crap. Glad it didn't burn my house down.

Googling makes it seem like this is not actually all that uncommon. Really sucks, cause I love these headphones otherwise. Really hope Sony honors the warranty and doesn''t try to blame me or something.

I'm no electrician....but do you possibly have some weird voltage issues with your outlets? I've never had a USB-C port melt.....and I've had everything from high end phones to dogshit bluetooth headphones.....often sharing chargers between them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

priznat posted:

Ah yea my request was a little unclear.. I would like something (if it exists) that is both a DAC for powered headphones and has the bluetooth LDAC transmitter so I can do either or from my PC.. But probably that would require two separate items.
I actually thought the two I recommended were two way, since they do pretty much everything else but they're not. There's some older ones I remember from a few years back but they might only do BT transmit off of line-in, not USB. You're probably best off with two things.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Ok Comboomer posted:

Honestly sounds like a set of Bluetooth earbuds with good ANC would be a better fit for you than some full-fat over-ears with a closed back and physical sound insulation

A $150-200 set of Beats Fit Pro or Studio Buds Plus will give you all of the isolation of big headphones when you want it, plus Transparency/etc modes when you don’t, the ability to just use one earbud when listening to audiobooks/etc, they store in a pocketable hardcase when not in use/charging which makes transporting them a breeze, and you’ll appreciate their small size when wearing them.

I think over/on-ear headphones are great and I own several sets, I used to be a “big headphone guy” at school and work, but especially for commuting (especially via train/plane/etc) I think it’s very worth giving contemporary ANC buds a shot.

I find the ANC to be completely 100% worthwhile just for how much lower I can run my audio volume, without having to compete with the din of ambient/road/train/plane noise.

Thank you. I've not really been a fan on earbuds, but then again it's been a long time since I've tried any - I guess things have improved since the cheap bundled-with-a-phone sets you used to get. I'll broaden my search a bit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Major Ryan posted:

Thank you. I've not really been a fan on earbuds, but then again it's been a long time since I've tried any - I guess things have improved since the cheap bundled-with-a-phone sets you used to get. I'll broaden my search a bit.

yeah, no, they’ve come a long long long way from those

I say give the Fit Pro or Studio Buds Plus/Studio Buds+ a shot. If you buy them from your major retailer of choice then you shouldn’t have any issues returning them if you decide they aren’t for you

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If you have a Pixel phone, the Pixel Buds Pro are a pretty good option.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've been looking at bone conducting headphones. Primarily loosely looking ahead at the next solo ski vacations, to have both some music and situational awareness, but I guess I could need them for bike rides, too. I know of the Shokz ones. Any other brands worthwile investigating? Ideally some that can reproduce some bass, if that's even possible with this tech.

I quickly tried some older ones at work from a coworker, they were still labelled Aftershokz. Seemed OK, but it wasn't any kind of electronic music that was played.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I mostly use mine (old Aftershokz, now Shokz Pro or something?) for calls and podcasts. Music will be "fine." Better than you're expecting but not to the level of an ANC earbud with transparency (although I think my situational awareness is much better with bone conduction and nothing in my ears). It's no good for "critical listening" or thumping bass or whatever, but that's not the point of wearing something like that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Good morning.
For the past 10 years I've been using a pair of V-Moda crossfade LP. I use them while traveling, but most of the time I use them when I'm playing bass at my house through a Vox amplug.

Because I'm dumb, I lost them somewhere in France last week, and I need a new pair.

My initial thought is to get the newer version, the V-Moda Crossfade LP2s which are $150 on amazon. ($130 on sweetwater).

However due to it being capitalism day, the Sennheiser HD 599's are on sale for $80, which looks to be about as low as they've been.

I need something that is going to be good with bass, particularly bass coming from streaming music (I need to be able to pick out the basslines of a song when I'm trying to learn to play it). I know the Crossfades are, because my old ones were pretty great, but does anyone have any experience with one or both of them to say the crossfades are worth the $50-70 more?

Edit: one other thing, they have to be good about keeping the noise in the headphones and not leaking out, because I practice in the room next to where my wife works and routinely takes business meetings on her comp. Thanks

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 11, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been looking at bone conducting headphones. Primarily loosely looking ahead at the next solo ski vacations, to have both some music and situational awareness, but I guess I could need them for bike rides, too. I know of the Shokz ones. Any other brands worthwile investigating? Ideally some that can reproduce some bass, if that's even possible with this tech.

I quickly tried some older ones at work from a coworker, they were still labelled Aftershokz. Seemed OK, but it wasn't any kind of electronic music that was played.

if you tried the aeropex/open run you've tried the best bone conduction headset on the market. I don't think any of the knockoffs on amazon are as good but they're also $35 instead of $180. I don't think the technology is there yet, if it is even possible, to make them into good music listening headphones

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

Good morning.
For the past 10 years I've been using a pair of V-Moda crossfade LP. I use them while traveling, but most of the time I use them when I'm playing bass at my house through a Vox amplug.

Because I'm dumb, I lost them somewhere in France last week, and I need a new pair.

My initial thought is to get the newer version, the V-Moda Crossfade LP2s which are $150 on amazon. ($130 on sweetwater).

However due to it being capitalism day, the Sennheiser HD 599's are on sale for $80, which looks to be about as low as they've been.

I need something that is going to be good with bass, particularly bass coming from streaming music (I need to be able to pick out the basslines of a song when I'm trying to learn to play it). I know the Crossfades are, because my old ones were pretty great, but does anyone have any experience with one or both of them to say the crossfades are worth the $50-70 more?

Edit: one other thing, they have to be good about keeping the noise in the headphones and not leaking out, because I practice in the room next to where my wife works and routinely takes business meetings on her comp. Thanks

If you want to minimize leakage you want closed back headphones and I think the thread's default recommendation there is the Beyerdynamic DT 770, or one of the bluetooth noise-cancelling headsets from Sony or Bose

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Clark Nova posted:

if you tried the aeropex/open run you've tried the best bone conduction headset on the market. I don't think any of the knockoffs on amazon are as good but they're also $35 instead of $180. I don't think the technology is there yet, if it is even possible, to make them into good music listening headphones

At this point I don't think it's possible, bone conduction's been around a long time now.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I got the status audio cb-1several years ago based on this thread's recommendations, and I've quite liked them, they've been great. But the headband is cracked through and they feel like they're going to fall apart any time, so I'm looking for a replacement. I've had a great experience with them for years now and I'm not opposed to just buying them again, but a few friends I've recommended them to have had them fall apart far more quickly than mine did so I'm not sure if I was lucky or if they were unlucky or what. I've also had a kid since I got these headphones and I've gotten used to wearing them over only one ear so I can better hear if he wakes up crying or something, and I'm a bit curious about trying open back headphones instead so I could wear them properly but still hear other stuff too? My only concern there is if sound leaking out from them would be picked up in discord voice chat.

Budget - ideally under $100, could maybe stretch as high as $150
Source - PC
Isolation Requirements - might actually be nice to not be very isolated
Preferred Type of Headphone - over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I have absolutely no idea
Past Headphones - status audio cb-1; they sound great to me and they're very comfortable even with my glasses
Preferred Music - these will mostly be for games, though rock when I do listen to music

Basically is there anything else sub-$150, ideally sub-$100, either open or closed back, that I should be checking out instead of the cb-1s?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Sennheiser HD599 SE are $80 on Amazon right now, seems hard to go wrong if you want a solid set of comfy open backs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Helter Skelter posted:

Sennheiser HD599 SE are $80 on Amazon right now, seems hard to go wrong if you want a solid set of comfy open backs.

I have a set of HD598s for my PC and had been eyeing these as a replacement. The 598s are still good but kind of cracking in a few places, just showing their age. So jumped on this deal! Just sad it wasn’t in ivory for that price :haw:

Now looking for a deal on a DAC I can connect to the pc to use instead of the realtek junk.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Clark Nova posted:

If you want to minimize leakage you want closed back headphones and I think the thread's default recommendation there is the Beyerdynamic DT 770, or one of the bluetooth noise-cancelling headsets from Sony or Bose

Ehhhhhh, i dunno about that. As a person who owns and loves a pair of 770s, the treble is not for everyone to say the least. The AKG K371 is a much more reasonable tuning for a solid starting closed back imo.

priznat posted:

Now looking for a deal on a DAC I can connect to the pc to use instead of the realtek junk.

Why? Are you getting buzzing or interference?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

I have a set of HD598s for my PC and had been eyeing these as a replacement. The 598s are still good but kind of cracking in a few places, just showing their age. So jumped on this deal! Just sad it wasn’t in ivory for that price :haw:

If all you need is a DAC and you already have a headphone amp, the SMSL SU-1 is basically the gold standard now and sits around $80. Or if you have a decent old stereo receiver lying around with a good headphone out, paired with that will give you more power on tap than you'd ever need but will take up a lot of space on the desk.

If you're looking for a DAC/Amp combo, the Tanchjim Space dongle DAC looks to be superb for $90. You can even upgrade to a balanced cable, going from the 2.5mm TRRS end to a 4.4 TRRS end or use a 2.5 to 2.5 cable and a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter to get more power out of this amp, as it has more power on tap out of its balanced output.

And honestly, for $10 the Apple dongle DAC would likely serve you well, especially if you have an iPhone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Any especially good headphone deals on Amazon for Prime? I know the Senn HD 599 SE for $80, but what about 660S for $345, 660S2 for $399, 600 for $283, 560S for $150, etc….?

How are the BT versions of the AKG 361/371?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mederlock posted:

If you're looking for a DAC/Amp combo, the Tanchjim Space dongle DAC looks to be superb for $90. You can even upgrade to a balanced cable, going from the 2.5mm TRRS end to a 4.4 TRRS end or use a 2.5 to 2.5 cable and a 2.5 to 4.4 adapter to get more power out of this amp, as it has more power on tap out of its balanced output.

don't buy a $90 dac amp with balanced outputs for a set of HD599SE, that doesn't make sense. In fact buying an amp at all for those doesn't really make sense. What's going on with the realtek that you feel like you need something else?

Ok Comboomer posted:

560S for $150,

That's the standout deal imo, I'd take those over any of the other sennheisers listed.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

They're alright, just very heavy in comparison to the non-BT versions, which may or may not put uncomfortable pressure on your head depending on your neck/braincage size. Otherwise they're pretty similar

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

don't buy a $90 dac amp with balanced outputs for a set of HD599SE, that doesn't make sense. In fact buying an amp at all for those doesn't really make sense. What's going on with the realtek that you feel like you need something else?

He was looking for a DAC, those are two great ones that aren't $$Audiophile prices, but are definitely more than a casual consumer would care to pay. I did post the Apple Dongle too which would be the most reasonable for most people for the money as well so I don't see the problem. I didn't even recommend going balanced for the purported increase in sound quality audiophiles like to claim, only suggested it as an option if they found the amp didn't push the headphones as loud as they might like which is totally subjective. Personally, I don't like driving headphones loud as it hurts my ears, but that's certainly not the case for everyone.

There is audible noise/distortion in a lot of realtek audio implementations, especially when using the front headphone outs and when the PC is under load while gaming (but the audio usually is loud enough during gaming to mask it). I've personally experienced poor audio out of them like crackles/clicking/hums/distortion, and you can find tons of threads on audiosciencereview from folks who have testing gear who've verified that independently of each other, It's not really controversial. I only really notice it in quieter portions of games or when I listen to softer music while playing a game like Eve.

Whether it makes sense to upgrade to a discreet DAC or DAC/amp and how much to spend on it because of that is up to that person whether they care or not, and how many issues they're having with their setup. Like I've never noticed an issue on the laptops I've owned but I have experienced it on desktops. I'm a dork who likes listening to classical music and jazz while playing strategy games, so in my use case and for my priorities it was a worthwhile investment to me. I was dumb and got a (second hand) Ifi Zen DAC when I was looking at the time because I didn't know any better and fell for the Youtube audiophile BS. Knowing what I know now, I probably would've gotten the SU-1 for half of what I spent on the Ifi and used my stereo receiver to amplify my Beyerdynamic's instead.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mederlock posted:

He was looking for a DAC, those are two great ones that aren't $$Audiophile prices, but are definitely more than a casual consumer would care to pay. I did post the Apple Dongle too which would be the most reasonable for most people for the money as well so I don't see the problem.

Because you're still recommending a $90 dac amp with balanced outputs for a headphone that costs $80 and has no balanced cable, even as an option, and even if it did, wouldn't need the power. If they're having noise problems, the apple dongle will fix it, there's no need to go further than that, especially with those cans.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Ehhhhhh, i dunno about that. As a person who owns and loves a pair of 770s, the treble is not for everyone to say the least. The AKG K371 is a much more reasonable tuning for a solid starting closed back imo.

yeah, I forgot about those, people seem to like 'em a lot

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Does anyone mind if I like... do a new OP? Midorka is gone to the winds and there's some outdated stuff/scant explanations in there. It's been bothering me a bit rereading it

I also think we may want to rethink how we ask people to pose questions to the thread because an endless parade of "I want it to sound balanced? I think?" doesn't clear things up generally.

Instead of:

Midorka posted:

What headphone should I buy?
Budget - We need to know how much you’re willing to spend so we can find suitable headphones in the price range.
Source - What will you be plugging these into? Some headphones do have amp requirements so if your source is an iPod we know not to recommend these.
Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation?
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM? Over-ear? Etc.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Would you prefer bass heavy headphones? Maybe one focused on vocals? Maybe balanced? Let us know.
Past Headphones - Let us know what you’ve had and what you’ve liked/disliked about them.
Preferred Music - Let us know what you’re listening to.

I'm thinking something more along the lines of:

Budget - We need to know how much you’re willing to spend so we can find suitable headphones in the price range.
Source - What will you be plugging these into? Some headphones do have amp requirements so if your source is an iPod we know not to recommend these.
Intended use case - Are you using these at a computer only? Do you need isolation/ANC for your commute?
Preferred Headphone features - Let us know what you’ve used and what you’ve liked/disliked about them.
1. What did you like about their sound?
2. What did you like about their fit?
3. Are there any must-have features you can think of? Voice assistant? Wireless? Touch controls?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The OP still talks like earbuds are relevant so yes we absolutely need a new OP.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That apple adapter (usb-c to 1/8") would actually probably be the best bet for me! Yeah the front output on my PC is just my concern.. I haven't noticed a lot of noise from it.

I was thinking it would be nice to have a little usb-c connected/powered box just with headphone out (and BT transmitter, but I don't think that's a thing) that has a volume knob + maybe a LCD showing volume level that is decent for some music listening while working and gaming. That's pretty much the extent of the requirements.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

njsykora posted:

The OP still talks like earbuds are relevant so yes we absolutely need a new OP.

Alright, will start

Passburger
May 4, 2013

quote:

The OP still talks like ear-buds are relevant

Is this the new thread tittle?

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
Budget - $250 but i'm flexible
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - ANC
Preferred Type of Headphone - bluetooth earbuds
Preferred Tonal Balance - no strong preference; not excessive bass
Past Headphones - looking to replace Jabra Elite 75t with equivalent/similar headphone (see below)
Preferred Music - wide variety

I have/had a pair of Jabra Elite 75ts that I am/was very happy with, but the charging case fell out of my pocket. Jabra no longer offers replacement cases and the lovely third party replacement case I got off Amazon doesn't really work, so I think I need to bite the bullet and replace them. I only got the Jabras about 18 months ago and I think it's kind of bullshit that they don't offer replacement parts anymore, so I'd prefer not to give them my money.

Would prefer to avoid Beats unless they really are the best option at this price point because 1) I haven't been super impressed by Beats products I've sampled in the past and 2) the brand kinda gives douche vibes imo.

Use cases are commuting and working out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

get me HQ! posted:

Budget - $250 but i'm flexible
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - ANC
Preferred Type of Headphone - bluetooth earbuds
Preferred Tonal Balance - no strong preference; not excessive bass
Past Headphones - looking to replace Jabra Elite 75t with equivalent/similar headphone (see below)
Preferred Music - wide variety

I have/had a pair of Jabra Elite 75ts that I am/was very happy with, but the charging case fell out of my pocket. Jabra no longer offers replacement cases and the lovely third party replacement case I got off Amazon doesn't really work, so I think I need to bite the bullet and replace them. I only got the Jabras about 18 months ago and I think it's kind of bullshit that they don't offer replacement parts anymore, so I'd prefer not to give them my money.

Would prefer to avoid Beats unless they really are the best option at this price point because 1) I haven't been super impressed by Beats products I've sampled in the past and 2) the brand kinda gives douche vibes imo.

Use cases are commuting and working out.

AirPods Pro Gen 2

or

Beats Fit Pro or Studio Buds+ (Beats is a totally different company post-Apple/post-“true wireless” era

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga

Ok Comboomer posted:

AirPods Pro Gen 2

or

Beats Fit Pro or Studio Buds+ (Beats is a totally different company post-Apple/post-“true wireless” era

thanks, good to know about Beats

i know I said ANC in my post but anyone have thoughts about Campfire Orbits? had a pair of Campfire Andromedas that I loved and sadly left on a plane recently (it has not bene a good year for me for headphones) and i was fine with the sound isolation on those. so i think I am leaning airpods pro 2 but kinda tempted by the campfires.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Passburger posted:

No it’s probably “Beats are good now”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

njsykora posted:

No it’s probably “Beats are good now”

Seconded

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

get me HQ! posted:

thanks, good to know about Beats

i know I said ANC in my post but anyone have thoughts about Campfire Orbits? had a pair of Campfire Andromedas that I loved and sadly left on a plane recently (it has not bene a good year for me for headphones) and i was fine with the sound isolation on those. so i think I am leaning airpods pro 2 but kinda tempted by the campfires.

It's generally hard to recommend any premium TWS from an audiophile brand when Apple and Samsung both make well-tuned sets for iOS and Android respectively, and are able to bring to bear far more resources for the other features (ANC, transparency modes, apps and integration with the OS, earbud design and case.) This is before you get to the Orbit's tuning, which looks like a mess:

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Passburger posted:

quote:

The OP still talks like ear-buds are relevant

Thirded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Clark Nova posted:

I got the OpenRun Pro from Shokz, because they were said to have the most bass response. And they were reduced 33% on Amazon's Prime Day.

I saw a review at RTings, where they showed frequency response graphs. I tried to replicate them with the parametric EQ in Audition and tried some favorite songs of mine. It sounded rather tinny. I risked it anyways and got the headphones now. The bass response is way better than the simulation.

I guess the frequency response graphs weren't representative, with what trying to measure these on a binaural microphone on a plastic head, which isn't exactly a human head in regards to materials and conduction thereof.