Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Howdy ya'll. I was wondering if anyone had an experience with bedphones or similar headphones designed to be worn in bed, specifically for a side sleeper (My ear is always down pressed against my pillow).

I know quality probably isn't the best, but that is a tradeoff I am willing to take, as long as it is comfortable.

I feel like I’ve seen an infomercial for this on late night tv. It looked like a sweat headband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

jack is fine, and I tried them in multiple devices

what happens to headphones when they're "blown out"? would that be the symptom of complete failure like this?

I don't listed to loud music at all, but more than once I accidentally plugged them into the mic port on my laptop, which they did not seem happy with. Makes a loud popping sound, and I guess it would be feeding them DC current? Maybe I did that the last time I used them and it was the last straw?

https://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/computer_microphone.php

http://www.andybrain.com/qna/2007/12/11/will-plugging-in-a-stereo-to-a-computers-mic-jack-damage-the-microphone/

Maybe? There's voltage in there, the question is how much was in there when you did that.

Headphones don't like DC voltage and their tolerances may be quite low. http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/maximum-dc-voltage-applied-to-headphones

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 10, 2018

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm looking for a new set of headphones, mostly for gaming/voice chat/some music.

Budget - ~$100-150 ideally
Source - They'll only be used with my PC. I don't need or want wireless.
Isolation Requirements - I'd prefer closed back so I'm not hearing everything around me
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure tbh
Past Headphones - Currently I'm using a set of G35s that are falling apart and never sounded all that great. They're pretty comfortable for me though. I've got a pair of M50's (not M50x) that aren't as comfortable, but the sound was more what I'd hope for.
Preferred Music - Mostly rock, anything from classic rock to hard rock to whatever in between.

I was looking at the HyperX Cloud II/Alpha/Revolver/Revolver S group since they're all within my price range and don't seem to get dumped on like most gaming headsets. I doubt the Cloud II/Alpha would give me the sound quality of the M50, but maybe the Revolver/Revolver S would get close?

If there's a combo of headphones+attachable mic that's just as comfortable and would sound better for <$150 I'd be willing to look at that too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Looks like Massdrop is reviving the HD580 now.
It looks like a great way to get a higher-end Sennheiser for $50 less than the 6xx.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

pik_d posted:

I'm looking for a new set of headphones, mostly for gaming/voice chat/some music.

Budget - ~$100-150 ideally
Source - They'll only be used with my PC. I don't need or want wireless.
Isolation Requirements - I'd prefer closed back so I'm not hearing everything around me
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure tbh
Past Headphones - Currently I'm using a set of G35s that are falling apart and never sounded all that great. They're pretty comfortable for me though. I've got a pair of M50's (not M50x) that aren't as comfortable, but the sound was more what I'd hope for.
Preferred Music - Mostly rock, anything from classic rock to hard rock to whatever in between.

I was looking at the HyperX Cloud II/Alpha/Revolver/Revolver S group since they're all within my price range and don't seem to get dumped on like most gaming headsets. I doubt the Cloud II/Alpha would give me the sound quality of the M50, but maybe the Revolver/Revolver S would get close?

If there's a combo of headphones+attachable mic that's just as comfortable and would sound better for <$150 I'd be willing to look at that too.

Cloud 2's would get you close since it's based on a decent set of budget audiophile headphones (Takstar Pro 80). I think the Revolver and all their later models are tweaked designs, so no guarantees on their sound quality. You can look through my post history for some cheap headphone + mic recommendations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Constellation I posted:

Cloud 2's would get you close since it's based on a decent set of budget audiophile headphones (Takstar Pro 80). I think the Revolver and all their later models are tweaked designs, so no guarantees on their sound quality. You can look through my post history for some cheap headphone + mic recommendations.

Most of your recent suggests look like they're open back, which I guess makes sense from a sound quality point of view. Looking at your most recent post before this, if I went with something like the Philips SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro, how much would the mic pick up the sound from the headset given that it is open?

Alternatively, what are good closed back headphones (with a 3.5mm jack) in that price range?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

pik_d posted:

Most of your recent suggests look like they're open back, which I guess makes sense from a sound quality point of view. Looking at your most recent post before this, if I went with something like the Philips SHP9500 + V-Moda BoomPro, how much would the mic pick up the sound from the headset given that it is open?

Alternatively, what are good closed back headphones (with a 3.5mm jack) in that price range?

Haven't heard them myself, but I know people think highly of the Status Audio CB 1: https://thestatusaudio.com/products/cb1

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

pik_d posted:

Status Audio CB-1's are recommended for that price range. As for the SHP9500's + BoomPro, I've never had it pickup the sound from the headphones when using it, so you should be good there. (though in all honesty, if you're using Discord, then you should really take advantage of the mic sensitivity + noise gate settings so you never have to use push to talk ever)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The CB-1s seem to have some knocks for build quality, which is one of the reasons I'm replacing my G35s, so I think I'll get the SHP9500's, especially as I found out they're $55 on Newegg (for the next 3 hours).

Thanks for the help.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 12, 2018

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Hi everyone, looking for some advice.
I’m itching to get some new IEMs.
Budget: 250$ but preferably under 200$.
Source: Handheld and occasional laptop gaming. Vita, Nintendo Switch, etc.
Previous Headphones: I have a big open back set of AKG 701s that I use when at home, and some old Klipsch S4 buds from around 10 years ago. They still work but the cabling is falling apart. I also own some Jaybird X2s for exercise but really hate the fit compared to my S4s. Not sure if I have small or sensitive canals but I find a fit on the X2s impossible with any of the tips.

I generally prefer a balanced and lush signature when listening to music, good detail separation. For earbuds that I will be using primarily for handheld gaming without an amp, I don’t want to go overboard if the DACs in stuff like the Switch aren’t high enough quality to even make a difference.

I’m interested in the Yamaha EPH100 but I am worried they won’t play nice fitting into my ears.
The RHA T20s or the less expensive MHA750s look really tempting as well. The extra bass would be okay since handheld gaming doesn’t need to be super detail oriented and a bit of full bodied lows might be good for the experience. I’ve heard these can sacrifice a bit too much of lushness in the mids in favour of the extra bass.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
So I'm in the process of getting a Schiit stack (Magni 3/Modi2). I currently have a pair of Senheiser HD595 which are good I guess but I've never been wowed by them.

Will I be impressed by the change in audio quality with a Schiit stack with the HD595s?

And while my HD595s sound fine, the plastic chassis is cracking. I'm thinking of potentially upgrading to a new set of open headphones which I'd use for primarily gaming (mostly FPS and RPGs) and movies. I'm looking at the DT990s (600ohm), HD650s, and Fidelio X2s. Which would be a generally better choice since all seem to have their perceived benefits/drawbacks (too flat or too V shaped etc). Or would I be better off just using my HD595s with my Schiit stack until the HD595s die?

Thanks for the advice!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve had my CB1s for over a year now and use them almost every day at work and haven’t noticed any issues with build quality.

I hadn’t heard that before either.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

So I'm in the process of getting a Schiit stack (Magni 3/Modi2). I currently have a pair of Senheiser HD595 which are good I guess but I've never been wowed by them.

Will I be impressed by the change in audio quality with a Schiit stack with the HD595s?

And while my HD595s sound fine, the plastic chassis is cracking. I'm thinking of potentially upgrading to a new set of open headphones which I'd use for primarily gaming (mostly FPS and RPGs) and movies. I'm looking at the DT990s (600ohm), HD650s, and Fidelio X2s. Which would be a generally better choice since all seem to have their perceived benefits/drawbacks (too flat or too V shaped etc). Or would I be better off just using my HD595s with my Schiit stack until the HD595s die?

Thanks for the advice!

Unless you have a lovely source like a noisy audio out on a PC for example, you likely won't notice a difference with those headphones. I'd get the Schiit stack only if you get headphones like the HD650s which do benefit from them. If you're just going to stick with your 595's though then I'd just save the money.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Budget - Up to ~300USD/400AUD
Source - PC with sound card, rarely my phone
Isolation Requirements - No
Past Headphones - Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for 8 years now and they're overdue for replacement.
Usage: General gaming, media, music - a bit of everything.

I'm happy with my ATH-AD700s and really like both the sound quality and comfort but they're a bit worse for wear after so long, I don't really notice the lack of bass but apparently it's improved on the newer versions anyway.

After a quick look at what's available I think I'd be happy getting the ATH-AD700X or ATH-AD900X but am looking for other options to consider (equivalent Senneheiser?)
Those options leave me with budget to spare so if there's a step up I can take I'll consider it!

Pretty much looking for some open, circumaural headphones, no integrated microphone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VodeAndreas posted:

Past Headphones - Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for 8 years now and they're overdue for replacement.

I'm happy with my ATH-AD700s and really like both the sound quality and comfort but they're a bit worse for wear after so long, I don't really notice the lack of bass but apparently it's improved on the newer versions anyway.

After a quick look at what's available I think I'd be happy getting the ATH-AD700X or ATH-AD900X but am looking for other options to consider (equivalent Senneheiser?)
Those options leave me with budget to spare so if there's a step up I can take I'll consider it!

Pretty much looking for some open, circumaural headphones, no integrated microphone.

ATH-R70X? If you want a do-everything then a studio reference pair is probably the way to go.

Should be a bunch of reviews on YouTube. Here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUM03536qY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXTSOyQXmI

Edit gently caress no, you'll need a proper amp for these. I misread part of the spec sheet. Nevermind.

Maybe a HE-4XX from massdrop?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

I own the ATH-AD700s too and the closest match that I have found that is a definite upgrade is the HE-400i. I can't comment on the HD600s, but the HD650s are darker and more neutral compared to the relatively bright AD700s. Beyerdynamic DT880 is similar too but a step down from the HE-400i

e: for volume concerns - I connected HE400i to my soundcard and it gets louder than I like to listen at about 70%

Setset fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 12, 2018

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

DancingShade posted:

ATH-R70X? If you want a do-everything then a studio reference pair is probably the way to go.

Should be a bunch of reviews on YouTube. Here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWUM03536qY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bXTSOyQXmI

Edit gently caress no, you'll need a proper amp for these. I misread part of the spec sheet. Nevermind.

Maybe a HE-4XX from massdrop?

I could consider getting a headphone amp as well but that's a whole other world of research for me to embark on.

Doesn't look like I can easily get HE-400s in Australia, the R70X look very nice and do fit in budget.

I run my current headphones at quite low volume (~20% most of the time) so don't know if it's worth getting the R70X to start with (after a little more research) and then buying the amp depending on how they turn out.

Thanks for the options guys :)

e: After a bit of checking and interneting I can't find the impedance of my sound card to do some maths... I could just try jamming my Fluke in there but then I might be after a new sound card.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 12, 2018

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Constellation I posted:

Unless you have a lovely source like a noisy audio out on a PC for example, you likely won't notice a difference with those headphones. I'd get the Schiit stack only if you get headphones like the HD650s which do benefit from them. If you're just going to stick with your 595's though then I'd just save the money.

So of the three headphones I listed, given that I do a bit of gaming (fps and rpgs, some mp) and movies, which would be good? I’m kind of worried the dt990s may be too much and then the hd650s would be not enough.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

So of the three headphones I listed, given that I do a bit of gaming (fps and rpgs, some mp) and movies, which would be good? I’m kind of worried the dt990s may be too much and then the hd650s would be not enough.

For gaming and movies, I'd say the X2. It has a wider soundstage and more bass than the 650s. Plus you don't need an amp since it's fairly easy to drive. It also has a detachable 3.5mm jack so you can use a V-Moda BoomPro with it to turn it into a headset. Down the line when you get an amp, you can probably pick up the HD6XX from Massdrop if you'd still like to try the 650's out.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I can't get my Boompro to work correctly. I've tried plugging it into the front and back, with the y-cable or not, but nothing seems to work. I can get sound through the headset, but no playback. Is there any special setup I need to do, or is it likely defective?

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
After browsing the 50+ pairs of cheap "true wireless" bluetooth headphones on Amazon, I bought a pair of these Soundpeats (wtf?) wireless earbuds:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772M2JL7/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had bluetooth headphones but I got sick of the wire in the back. I picked this pair because I have a pair of corded bluetooth headphones that have the same form factor and I really like those. They were like $20 and have a decent amount of base to them which was surprising. I was hoping this true wireless set being in the same form factor might be simliar. I don't think they have the same amount of bass as the wired set but they work great for podcasts and some music. I don't watch a ton of video on my phone so the latency doesn't really bother me.

Corez
Dec 3, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

The RHA T20s or the less expensive MHA750s.

I've actually got a pair of unopened, BNIB MHA750i's I'm looking to unload should you want to go that route. Shoot me an email at MrGudgeon@gmail.com if you're interested and we can talk details.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So my wife is looking for new gym headphones, here's what she's asked for:

Budget: $50-200
Circumaural
Bluetooth
Appropriate for podcasts and a range of music, doesn't need heavy bass.

I have no idea what kind of bluetooth cans are out there so I figured I'd reach out to the thread.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Ahhhhh please help me not spend $4000 on new headphones tyvm.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

ntan1 posted:

Ahhhhh please help me not spend $4000 on new headphones tyvm.

Spend $1500 instead.

I bought a pair of Focal Clear headphones with overtime money from year-end 2017, and I can honestly say that they're worth every cent. The name is perfect - you can hear every detail in a recording, and I can't point to a single flaw in the frequency response. Construction and materials are first rate; these are definitely the best built cans I have ever owned. I'm honestly shocked how good they are using dynamic drivers, as I have been using planar magnetics for years now. The carrying case, the three included cables - everything oozes refined quality. They can even be driven perfectly from a smartphone.

Absolute end-game headphones. I could be happy with these for the rest of my life.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Kind of a dumb question:

So I just got these bad boys to go with these beautiful bastards. I can control the volume via the headsets, and also the amp/DAC. I prefer to mainly control the volume from the amp/DAC, but how high should I put the headset volume levels? All the way up, since it's connected to an amp? Or should I put it roughly 80-90%? Any help would be great, thanks!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

pik_d posted:

I can't get my Boompro to work correctly. I've tried plugging it into the front and back, with the y-cable or not, but nothing seems to work. I can get sound through the headset, but no playback. Is there any special setup I need to do, or is it likely defective?

I ended up returning the first Boompro, the second one works now, but I've got a new issue. When I use the mute switch, it mutes the mic but instead plays my sound output as input, so if I'm on voice chat it'll play whatever I'm listening to out to everyone I'm talking with.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

D1E posted:

Spend $1500 instead.

I bought a pair of Focal Clear headphones with overtime money from year-end 2017, and I can honestly say that they're worth every cent. The name is perfect - you can hear every detail in a recording, and I can't point to a single flaw in the frequency response. Construction and materials are first rate; these are definitely the best built cans I have ever owned. I'm honestly shocked how good they are using dynamic drivers, as I have been using planar magnetics for years now. The carrying case, the three included cables - everything oozes refined quality. They can even be driven perfectly from a smartphone.

Absolute end-game headphones. I could be happy with these for the rest of my life.

I already have multiple pairs of $1500 headphones.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Keep climbing that ladder

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Are there any splitters that would allow me to have my headset hear audio from two separate devices, like say, being able to plug into both a ps4 and a PC/tablet for discord chat at once?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

pik_d posted:

I ended up returning the first Boompro, the second one works now, but I've got a new issue. When I use the mute switch, it mutes the mic but instead plays my sound output as input, so if I'm on voice chat it'll play whatever I'm listening to out to everyone I'm talking with.

That could be hilarious or awkward depending on what you're listening to.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Zerilan posted:

Are there any splitters that would allow me to have my headset hear audio from two separate devices, like say, being able to plug into both a ps4 and a PC/tablet for discord chat at once?

It's called a mixer.

https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX51S-...ereo+line+mixer

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZED6

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ynglaur posted:

That could be hilarious or awkward depending on what you're listening to.

Yeah for sure, but it's pretty lovely that I feel like I can't mute.

Does anyone know if the modmic has better build quality compared to the boompro? If so I think I'll just get one of those. Getting two malfunctioning boompros is probably an outlier, but I'm about done with them.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
It's probably an outlier since me and my buddies pretty much all bought them at the same time and have none of your issues. I'd say the ModMic 4 has about the same build quality but has a much less bulky mute switch. But I wouldn't go back to a 2-wire setup to be honest.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I could use some input with a problem in my Custom Art Music One's. They're about 4 years old, but were sent in for a repair/remold in 2015, so this incarnation is more like 3. The left ear is suddenly really quiet, and if I push gently on random parts of the iem body it'll come back to regular volume for a few seconds at most. These IEMs live in a pelican case in my desk so I'm not sure how they could have gotten jostled enough to break anything.

I initially thought the outer canal piece had come loose but last time that happened I was able to realign it with a toothpick and that's not happening now. Manipulating the cord does nothing so I don't think it's a fault there. Any thoughts on how to tell for sure if it's a busted wire/dying driver or something else?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’d love some advice on something I’m way behind the times in. Thanks in advance!

Budget - 160$
Source - iPhone and Apple Watch
Isolation Requirements - not a big deal
Preferred Type of Headphone - In ear, Bluetooth, mic
Preferred Tonal Balance - Nothing special
Past Headphones - Stock Apple wired earbuds
Preferred Music - Pop, rap, indie, alternative

I was gifted an Apple Watch and I’m gong to cut the cord for running and working out because I don’t need to have my phone on me at all times now. The general consensus in the PYF Products thread is to just buy some AirPods, but I thought I’d try here because I won’t be ordering for a week and maybe there’s something better for me for less money. Doesn’t have to be better than my 3 year old wired apple buds, I just don’t want them noticeably worse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AirPods. If you get them from an Apple store you can take them back no questions asked.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

AirPods. If you get them from an Apple store you can take them back no questions asked.

I think that’s what I’m going to do. I’m waiting for someone to yell “no it’s an extra hundred bucks for the brand name” but so far it hasn’t really happened anywhere.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I think that’s what I’m going to do. I’m waiting for someone to yell “no it’s an extra hundred bucks for the brand name” but so far it hasn’t really happened anywhere.

Well honestly for use case (Apple Watch and iPhone) you are kinda limited to things with the W1 chip which leaves the AirPods, beats x, power beats 3. I have all 3 of them and so far I like the AirPods the best over all.

Yeah they aren’t cheap but they work amazing in the Apple eco system I can switch them to my Apple TV pretty easily too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
AirPods are worth every penny.