Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like my BeatsX. If Earpods weren't massively uncomfortable to me, I'd get some Airpods, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Airpods don't fit in my weird ears but I'm a satisfied Beats X owner.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It looks like the Beats X are about 40 dollars cheaper on amazon if I get a less popular color.

I may just order the $109 white ones and save 50 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...rd_i=B01LWL8VCS

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

It looks like the Beats X are about 40 dollars cheaper on amazon if I get a less popular color.

I may just order the $109 white ones and save 50 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...rd_i=B01LWL8VCS

You could wait and get them from bestbuy for $65 if you really wanted. I got my pair that way and they are perfect for that price.

I wouldn’t pay $109 for them though :shrug:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

You could wait and get them from bestbuy for $65 if you really wanted. I got my pair that way and they are perfect for that price.

I wouldn’t pay $109 for them though :shrug:

Is there a sale coming up? I kinda like the idea of having the neck cord for when I’m riding my bike and saving $100 for a still-good sound would work for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rolo posted:

Is there a sale coming up? I kinda like the idea of having the neck cord for when I’m riding my bike and saving $100 for a still-good sound would work for me.

They sell refurbished ones.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-geek-squad-certified-refurbished-beatsx-earphones-black/5732542.p?skuId=5732542

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I was on mobile and couldn’t find it but I bought those and they came brand new as far as I could tell.

For me they are fantastic at $60 not so much at $100+.

Edit: I do end up using my AirPods more simply because they are so much more portable over all the beats I have.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
Getting some random high frequency noise from my Monoprice desktop amp/dac. I'm fairly sure it is coming from the wall power outlet. It is like 5% of the time I hear it and I can't correlate it with anything on the same circuit. It does not change with volume and still happens even with everything except the power cable unplugged.

So now the question is, do I get a UPS with sine wave generation or buy a new AC-DC 15V converter and hope that fixes it. Or just live with it.

edit: For now I wrapped the power cable around a ferrite core a few times right before entering the dac/amp. Hard to know if it fixed it yet due to the randomness of it happening.

poppingseagull fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 24, 2018

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Is there a consensus on best wireless noise cancelling headphones? I just returned my QC25's so I could futureproof my cans a bit. What I've read has put either the QC35ii's or the Sony WH-1000XM2 at the top. My price range is $350 or below, I'd use them mostly for traveling.

Comfort is a big thing for me - I have some Sennheiser Momentum's I use at work but I can't really wear them for longer than an hour before the top of my head starts feeling it, and another 30 minutes before my ears feel it. I found the QC25's super comfortable so I'm leaning towards the 35's, but wanted to hear any dissenting voices first.

I listen to mostly rock music and I use an iPhone. I don't make calls or any of that nonsense with them on so those features are mostly irrelevant to me.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ended up getting the Audio Technica R70x, thanks thread :)

I was also considering the Sennheiser HD650 and HD600 but i couldn't find them for anything near a comparable price.

Only got them today so not too much experience with them yet but think they're fantastic so far, the bass is incredible without overpowering anything else, vocals don't 'pop' as much as with the ADH-700 but still clear, otherwise just a very nice crisp even sound.

In terms of physical fit I have a pretty large head and the wings are just about touching the band at the top so be careful if you've got a giant head like me. The metal band is much firmer than the loops over the top of the ADH-700 without being uncomfortable and even with the smaller ear pads doesn't put excessive pressure around my ears.

My sound card is driving them fine in terms of volume (50% Windows volume instead of 20% as a comparison - 100% still way too loud for extended use) but I think I'll still consider getting an amp later in the year to see how it changes them.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

I could use some input with a problem in my Custom Art Music One's. They're about 4 years old, but were sent in for a repair/remold in 2015, so this incarnation is more like 3. The left ear is suddenly really quiet, and if I push gently on random parts of the iem body it'll come back to regular volume for a few seconds at most. These IEMs live in a pelican case in my desk so I'm not sure how they could have gotten jostled enough to break anything.

I initially thought the outer canal piece had come loose but last time that happened I was able to realign it with a toothpick and that's not happening now. Manipulating the cord does nothing so I don't think it's a fault there. Any thoughts on how to tell for sure if it's a busted wire/dying driver or something else?

Alright so getting these repaired will be (ouch) 80 euro, plus shipping, plus new impressions, so probably like 150 bucks.

For that time, hassle, and money (and this is the second repair no less) I'm ready to entertain suggestions for closed headphones. Open might work as well; I share an office but it's already rather noisy by virtue of the location (near a manufacturing floor) and the number of people, so depending on how much noise actually leaks out of open headphones I could probably get by. I wear glasses + have cartilage piercings in one ear so comfort is extremely important.

If nobody thinks I could do better though I'll just shell out to have these repaired and recast in acrylic and hope they never break again v:shobon:v

Quoted from the last time I asked, plus updates:

the yeti posted:

Budget: $250-300ish
Source: iPhone, infrequently PC
Preferred type: Closed/open headphone
Tonal balance: Balanced, prefer clarity over super-emphasis
Preferred music: Metal of all kinds; generally black, folk, thrash, and death, lo-fi/diy type sound generally but some more heavily produced stuff. (Toxic Holocaust, Nile, Inquisition, Mgla, Bathory, Blind Guardian. Sometimes: bluegrass, classical, vapor/retrowave)

Past headphones:
Customart Music One (ciem) - Love them, just fragile and expensive to keep repairing
Ultrasone HFI-780 - Sounded pretty good, did not find them super comfortable for long stretches
Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 - Punchy in general, but muddy bass, unpleasant harshness in some highs e.g., cymbal, synth
Shure E2C - Babby's first. Don't actually remember much about how they sound

the yeti fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 27, 2018

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Was looking at Monoprice today and noticed there's a couple new headphones in the Monolith line (not yet released though): the M1060C and the M565C, which appear to just be closed-back versions of the regular M1060 and M565 with a $30 price bump.

I'll be interested to see reviews.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

VodeAndreas posted:

Ended up getting the Audio Technica R70x, thanks thread :)

I was also considering the Sennheiser HD650 and HD600 but i couldn't find them for anything near a comparable price.

Only got them today so not too much experience with them yet but think they're fantastic so far, the bass is incredible without overpowering anything else, vocals don't 'pop' as much as with the ADH-700 but still clear, otherwise just a very nice crisp even sound.

In terms of physical fit I have a pretty large head and the wings are just about touching the band at the top so be careful if you've got a giant head like me. The metal band is much firmer than the loops over the top of the ADH-700 without being uncomfortable and even with the smaller ear pads doesn't put excessive pressure around my ears.

My sound card is driving them fine in terms of volume (50% Windows volume instead of 20% as a comparison - 100% still way too loud for extended use) but I think I'll still consider getting an amp later in the year to see how it changes them.

Apparently the HD6XXs are exactly the same as the HD650s but currently aren't on a mass drop. They are much cheaper than regular HD650s.

I've been looking at the r70xs. How are they for gaming? I hear good things in regards to them being similar to the HD600s but I do more gaming and movies than I do music and wonder how they do with those things.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I’m planning to go on a 20 hour flight to SE Asia in the next 6 months, and would like some headphone recommendations. Looking for long-term comfort and noise cancelling as #1 priority - already have a Sennheiser HD650 and a pair of Westone 4 IEMs for listening at home, so these would ideally be for traveling only.

The Sony MDR-1000X and Bose QC35 look like top picks in this use category. Anyone have personal experience or would like to offer other suggestions? I do have an extra large head (Size 7-3/4 hat), that’s my only concern.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

Apparently the HD6XXs are exactly the same as the HD650s but currently aren't on a mass drop. They are much cheaper than regular HD650s.

I've been looking at the r70xs. How are they for gaming? I hear good things in regards to them being similar to the HD600s but I do more gaming and movies than I do music and wonder how they do with those things.

Movies fantastic... Well, "movie" singular so far.

Gaming - I played some Doom (2016) and League of Legends on the weekend, LoL had no difference as sound isn't too important.
Doom they were amazing for the metal soundtrack and big chunky weapons - definitely a good experience just helped bring the package of mayhem together.
I don't have anything installed at the moment that really makes use of positional audio/sneaky stuff so can't comment on how they feel for picking out sounds and directions - but from their performance with music I don't think there'd be any issues.

e: Oh and it was 39C here yesterday going down to a cool 30C overnight so I stayed inside wearing the headphones for 80% of the day without any comfort issues from the firm band etc. so points there too.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 29, 2018

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I’m planning to go on a 20 hour flight to SE Asia in the next 6 months, and would like some headphone recommendations. Looking for long-term comfort and noise cancelling as #1 priority - already have a Sennheiser HD650 and a pair of Westone 4 IEMs for listening at home, so these would ideally be for traveling only.

The Sony MDR-1000X and Bose QC35 look like top picks in this use category. Anyone have personal experience or would like to offer other suggestions? I do have an extra large head (Size 7-3/4 hat), that’s my only concern.

I just bought the updated version of the MDR-1000X, the WH-1000XM2. I tested the QC35 as well but prefered the Sony sound. Noise cancelling works great on flights.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GoldenNugget posted:

Actually if you want to be pedantic, they're not EXACTLY the same.
To me, the 650's sound a bit sharper (there's a peak somewhere in the highs that I can't quite put my finger on) and more "hollow" than the 6xx but not by much and it's nearly impossible to tell the difference between them without a LOT of A/B testing. In most circumstances, they do sound exactly the same.
The HD6xx feel a little bit cheaper though. I don't know if they're made from the same plastic or not but they don't squeeze my head quite as much and they feel a little cheaper.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I made all those posts about what I wanted and it turned out I could have saved a lot of time going to Apple and trying the AirPods out. They have sealed sterilized trial pairs you can use. Tried a pair out and bought them on the spot.

These are so insanely good, drat.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Rolo posted:

I made all those posts about what I wanted and it turned out I could have saved a lot of time going to Apple and trying the AirPods out. They have sealed sterilized trial pairs you can use. Tried a pair out and bought them on the spot.

These are so insanely good, drat.

:shobon:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I may be overreacting, but going from my beat to hell EarPods to these for running is going to be great and I’m glad I got them!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Rolo posted:

I may be overreacting, but going from my beat to hell EarPods to these for running is going to be great and I’m glad I got them!

hold onto that feeling :3:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
$45 for Treblab X2 on Amazon right now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P4WF9B/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I121M727A9T1NU&colid=IN4LZCAEPGY6&psc=1

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know of any true wireless earbuds that have both BT 5.0 and AptX?

I've scoured the internet and the only one I see is this upcoming pair, EOZ Air:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eozaudio/eoz-air-worlds-most-advanced-true-wireless-earphon

I have the Zolo Liberty+ and they're good for music but the lack of AptX kills them for voice calls and games, and they still occasionally lose signal. The EOZ Air seems like it can fix all of that with the AptX and external antenna, so I guess I'll wait a few months for that unless anyone's seen anything else that missed.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I haven’t used any of the Apple EarPods since they came with your iPods and whatever—has the fit improved for the AirPods? Or has anyone felt like the AirPods irritated their ears after a while wearing them? Those old ones used to really bug my ears after a bit, but I’m really interested in some of the features of the AirPods. I know it was mentioned that I can go try a pair in store, but it would take longer than that for the old ones to bug me, so I’m not sure that would be a good indicator of if the new ones would bug me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Niemat posted:

I haven’t used any of the Apple EarPods since they came with your iPods and whatever—has the fit improved for the AirPods? Or has anyone felt like the AirPods irritated their ears after a while wearing them? Those old ones used to really bug my ears after a bit, but I’m really interested in some of the features of the AirPods. I know it was mentioned that I can go try a pair in store, but it would take longer than that for the old ones to bug me, so I’m not sure that would be a good indicator of if the new ones would bug me

They are the same shape and I was in he same boat as you and I don’t know what magic they use but they actually don’t hurt at all. They kinda float in your ears. It’s weird but I can wear them for hours with no discomfort.

Also they have a really great return policy so you could try them out for a week and return them no questions asked if they aren’t to your liking.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The most common public theory (which of course may be hooey) is that without the cords pulling them down, the same shape feels more comfortable.

FWIW, EarPods only generally bothered me after 2-3 hours, but I can wear airpods for 6-8 hours with no problem.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BuyDig has the HiFiMan HE400i for $180. I'd love to try out planar magnetic cans, but you have to pay return shipping and pretty much everyone says my current HD650 are better all-around.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Josh Lyman posted:

BuyDig has the HiFiMan HE400i for $180. I'd love to try out planar magnetic cans, but you have to pay return shipping and pretty much everyone says my current HD650 are better all-around.

I got both the HE4xx and HD6XX from massdrop.
I feel like the Sennheisers are good enough to be dad-status endgame headphones.
The HE4xx were just sorta okay. I mean I'm not upset about owning them. I don't feel like they were a waste of money. But I haven't really been wow'd by them.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Holy poo poo. I bought some VE Monk Pluses because they were a whole $5 and people rave about them. I didn’t expect much. They sound GREAT for the price. They sounds great for earbuds in general. I’m impressed.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

pik_d posted:

I ended up returning the first Boompro, the second one works now, but I've got a new issue. When I use the mute switch, it mutes the mic but instead plays my sound output as input, so if I'm on voice chat it'll play whatever I'm listening to out to everyone I'm talking with.

I used to have this issue with an all in one headset, it was resolved by plugging the headphones and microphone into the jacks at the back of the pc rather than the front.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I just got in a pair of HD650s and absolutely adore them so far. They're a huge step up from the ATH-M50s I'd been using for the last 8 years or so. That being said, the Fiio E10k that I'm using to drive them is just barely getting it done with gain on and the volume just a hair under max. What is a good amp to pair with the E10k to give everything some headroom? I'd like to stay under $100.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just got in a pair of HD650s and absolutely adore them so far. They're a huge step up from the ATH-M50s I'd been using for the last 8 years or so. That being said, the Fiio E10k that I'm using to drive them is just barely getting it done with gain on and the volume just a hair under max. What is a good amp to pair with the E10k to give everything some headroom? I'd like to stay under $100.

Schiit Magni 3, Fiio K5 or some flavour of O2 if you don't need a DAC. Monoprice 11567 if you do need (or want) a DAC.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

grack posted:

Schiit Magni 3, Fiio K5 or some flavour of O2 if you don't need a DAC. Monoprice 11567 if you do need (or want) a DAC.

I went ahead and ordered a Magni 3. Is there any reason not to use my current E10K for the DAC? My only concern with that is that I'm currently using line out in the rear to feed my speakers. Would a splitter cause a reduction in signal strength?

Edit: Nevermind, the Magni has preamp outputs. It looks like it should play nice with my current E10K and speakers.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 5, 2018

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I went ahead and ordered a Magni 3. Is there any reason not to use my current E10K for the DAC? My only concern with that is that I'm currently using line out in the rear to feed my speakers. Would a splitter cause a reduction in signal strength?

Edit: Nevermind, the Magni has preamp outputs. It looks like it should play nice with my current E10K and speakers.

As for using the E10K as a DAC, there's no reason to not continue using it other than aesthetics or if you can hear noise due to it drawing power over USB. Since you're already using it for awhile, I'm assuming it's not an issue.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Anybody?

the yeti posted:

Alright so getting these repaired will be (ouch) 80 euro, plus shipping, plus new impressions, so probably like 150 bucks.

For that time, hassle, and money (and this is the second repair no less) I'm ready to entertain suggestions for closed headphones. Open might work as well; I share an office but it's already rather noisy by virtue of the location (near a manufacturing floor) and the number of people, so depending on how much noise actually leaks out of open headphones I could probably get by. I wear glasses + have cartilage piercings in one ear so comfort is extremely important.

If nobody thinks I could do better though I'll just shell out to have these repaired and recast in acrylic and hope they never break again v:shobon:v

Quoted from the last time I asked, plus updates:

Budget: $250-300ish
Source: iPhone, infrequently PC
Preferred type: Closed/open headphone
Tonal balance: Balanced, prefer clarity over super-emphasis
Preferred music: Metal of all kinds; generally black, folk, thrash, and death, lo-fi/diy type sound generally but some more heavily produced stuff. (Toxic Holocaust, Nile, Inquisition, Mgla, Bathory, Blind Guardian. Sometimes: bluegrass, classical, vapor/retrowave)

Past headphones:
Customart Music One (ciem) - Love them, just fragile and expensive to keep repairing
Ultrasone HFI-780 - Sounded pretty good, did not find them super comfortable for long stretches
Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 - Punchy in general, but muddy bass, unpleasant harshness in some highs e.g., cymbal, synth
Shure E2C - Babby's first. Don't actually remember much about how they sound

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I'm actually pretty shocked to learn that an e10k can run HD650s.

It seems like it barely runs my SHP9500s, and those are not hard to drive, at least in theory.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Got a pair of HiFiMan HE-560s and a Schiit Magni 3 in this week, replacing the Fidelio X1/Fiio E17 combo I've been using for a few years now.

Not completely sold on the new headphones yet but I'm trying to give myself a week or two to get used to their different sound. I use my PC for about 80% gaming and 20% music listening and the X1s always felt really well suited for that mix, plus they were very easy to drive even with just onboard motherboard audio. The HE-560s have less bass while everything else sounds.. crisper?, but can be almost harsh to a fault at times for certain tracks.

The Magni 3 is great, and with decent (Realtek ALC1220 on a MSI Z370 board) onboard audio I skipped the Modi DAC and just run a cable from my motherboard to the Magni. Very happy with it for ~$100 and it's definitely needed to drive the HE-560s.

I got the 560s when they were marked way down and I've got that "people were paying $900 for these a few years ago!" thing in my mind that makes me feel like they should be clearly better than my other headphones that were 1/3 the price. I'll see how I warm up to them over the next few weeks.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Any thoughts on HD600s vs HD650s? I used to have a pair of HD600s that I really loved, but ended up selling because I lived in a noisy apartment with thin walls on a busy street and wanted a little more isolation. Now I have a more quiet living arrangement, and I find myself missing the HD600s. Back in those days, I paired it with a Headroom Little amp, and I really adored that setup. Now I want to get that magic back, and I've found myself reading the endless HD600 vs. HD650 threads from a few years ago. Generally, it seems like a contest between more a more neutral, detailed sound with the HD600s, and a smoother, bassier, somewhat "thicker" sound with the HD650s. I'm not a big stickler for uncolored, neutral presentation with maximum detail, but the HD600s never really felt that way to me. I could listen to those for hours without any fatigue, which I can't say about multiple Grados I've owned.

I was leaning ever so slightly toward another pair of HD600s, but then the new HD6XX Massdrop happened a few days ago. Unfortunately, I don't know of any decent shops in town where I can compare the two. I know there's endless debate about this elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask the headphone thread for comments so I can be even more uncertain.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The HD6XX is an HD650. I prefer the HD650 to the 580/600 because it has a little more bass, though obviously we're talking about tiny differences. There's a reason the 650 is continues to be one of the best all-around headphones 15 years after its release.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Josh Lyman posted:

The HD6XX is an HD650. I prefer the HD650 to the 580/600 because it has a little more bass, though obviously we're talking about tiny differences. There's a reason the 650 is continues to be one of the best all-around headphones 15 years after its release.

Yup, I know the HD6XXs are just HD650s with a different color and cable, and $200 is such a drat good deal for that. The more I read, the more subjective and personal the preferences seem, which I guess is true of most decent audio equipment. At worst, people who prefer the HD600s say the 650/6XXs are “thicker” and “muddier” than the more neutral and “crisp” 600s.

And I won’t lie, the HD6XXs color doesn’t blow my skirt up. Blue? Really?