Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

poe meater posted:

I didn't realize the real wireless earbuds were new technology. Is there any real difference other than the convenience of it actually being wireless? I guess I'm looking for the more standard bluetooth headphones since it would be cheaper and perhaps better sound quality (just guessing)? I appreciate the help and information, thanks.

As someone posted above, Anker has ones for like $20 that are supposed to be fine for the money. If you can spend a bit more, you can get refurbished Beats X on Best Buy for like $60 and they're surprisingly good, though probably not worth new prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Has anyone here listened to a Sennheiser MB 660 UC MS? It's Sennheiser so I assume they're good for music, but headsets always seem to get a bad reputation. L

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've some beats x for on the go and an older set of Steel Series (200s?)_headphones for use at home, but I've been starting to be curious about getting into higher quality sound. I'm pretty happy with both and never notice any really glaring flaws with either other than the nagging itch of "but what if I am missing out on something".

What sorta price would I be looking at to definitely wow me? Are the Zero Audio Tenore's everyone went insane for last year going to do it? Or am I already at the foot of the mountain of diminishing returns. General listening habits tend towards the edm/trance/house/synthy stuff but with frequent binges on indie everything and the occasional alt rock nostalgia trip.

Any formfactor is acceptable. Just looking for something to stick my toes in and confirm if this is a niche I want to dive into or not.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Sextro posted:

I've some beats x for on the go and an older set of Steel Series (200s?)_headphones for use at home, but I've been starting to be curious about getting into higher quality sound. I'm pretty happy with both and never notice any really glaring flaws with either other than the nagging itch of "but what if I am missing out on something".

What sorta price would I be looking at to definitely wow me? Are the Zero Audio Tenore's everyone went insane for last year going to do it? Or am I already at the foot of the mountain of diminishing returns. General listening habits tend towards the edm/trance/house/synthy stuff but with frequent binges on indie everything and the occasional alt rock nostalgia trip.

Any formfactor is acceptable. Just looking for something to stick my toes in and confirm if this is a niche I want to dive into or not.

The $500 range will start to blow your mind, while $1000 is basically where diminishing returns hits and it comes down to your sound signature. I'm big into edm music but most my stuff is probably well over your price range. I just got the campfire audio cascade headphones which are really good for edm but they retail for $700-$800 USD.

I would say if you can find some massdrop versions of popular/more expensive audiophile headphones that's a good place to start. Fostex THX/THR-X00 or sennheiser 6xx are good examples. You can find the fostex for sale used even cheaper. They are going to be in the $350 range and they sound really good. The fostex have more slam to them but it's detailed. I own a pair myself, plus their bigger brother the TH900.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Then you get into pad rolling on your collection and suddenly you have a picnic basket filled with a grand plus worth of 3rd party sheep skin ear pads.

It starts out as a comfort thing then you start exploring how different shapes and dampening materials tune the sound signature. Great fun.

(Ear pad brands to check out: ZMF, Dekoni and Brainwavz in no specific order)

This only works with headphones which have mounting rings though. Unless you go for Dekoni who incorporate 3D printed clips and such on some pads where necessary.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Hamelekim posted:

The $500 range will start to blow your mind, while $1000 is basically where diminishing returns hits and it comes down to your sound signature. I'm big into edm music but most my stuff is probably well over your price range. I just got the campfire audio cascade headphones which are really good for edm but they retail for $700-$800 USD.

I would say if you can find some massdrop versions of popular/more expensive audiophile headphones that's a good place to start. Fostex THX/THR-X00 or sennheiser 6xx are good examples. You can find the fostex for sale used even cheaper. They are going to be in the $350 range and they sound really good. The fostex have more slam to them but it's detailed. I own a pair myself, plus their bigger brother the TH900.

When you say for sale used, you mean ebay/amazon? Or is there a more specific site better suited?

E: I guess used prices have dropped?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fostex-TH-...poAAOSw8nxbBCOc

Sextro fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 31, 2018

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Sextro posted:

When you say for sale used, you mean ebay/amazon? Or is there a more specific site better suited?

E: I guess used prices have dropped?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fostex-TH-...poAAOSw8nxbBCOc

The price I mentioned was directly from massdrop when they are offering it. But yeah, that's it. Price performance wise it's a REALLY good deal.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Budget - ~$100
Source - computers
Isolation Requirements - none
Preferred Type of Headphone - over the ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced I guess?
Past Headphones - I had a pair of Grado SR60s that the equivalent of this thread from like 15 years ago had decided were good. The sound was good, they were comfortable on my ears and it's definitely the type I like best but I'd really prefer one wire running out of a headset as finicky as that is. I'm not opposed to just getting another pair of Grados, but I figure things must have changed by now and I have no dog in any brand fight.
Preferred Music - metal because I'm a huge dork

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Get the SR80? Also they sound reallllllly good with an amp

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you’re into the Grado sound, there’s nothing else like it. I agree that the cables are a pain.

What about the DT-990? Super comfy, well-built. Single-sided coil or straight cable. Not quite as in-your-face as a Grado, but still pretty fun. Available in several different impedances for different setups.

Some people complain about the treble, but as a fellow Grado fan, it doesn’t bother me. I see a b-stock 990-Pro-250 for $120 on google.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 2, 2018

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Looking for a better pair of wireless over-ears for my noisy rear end commute.

Budget - under $350 USD
Source - phone (Google Pixel)
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass heavy
Past Headphones - Loved my Audio Technica M50s but I've worn them out and the cord was annoying, currently using a pair of Sony ZX770BNs but they don't offer enough isolation
Preferred Music - Mostly rock and podcasts

I'm looking at the Sony 1000XM2s and Bose QuietComfort 35s, is there anything else out there I should look into?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Monday_ posted:

Looking for a better pair of wireless over-ears for my noisy rear end commute.

Budget - under $350 USD
Source - phone (Google Pixel)
Isolation Requirements - The more, the better
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass heavy
Past Headphones - Loved my Audio Technica M50s but I've worn them out and the cord was annoying, currently using a pair of Sony ZX770BNs but they don't offer enough isolation
Preferred Music - Mostly rock and podcasts

I'm looking at the Sony 1000XM2s and Bose QuietComfort 35s, is there anything else out there I should look into?

I have the momentum 2.0, although the name has changed now. They block out low frequencies well, higher and mid frequencies are lower as well, but not nearly as much. Basically your music suffers the better the noise cancelling, as the frequencies blocked in your headset include those in the music.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Seconding the Momentum 2.0s (or whatever they're called now). Their ANC is not as good as the Bose QC 35s but the sound quality is lightyears better and the materials / build is in another galaxy.

Only thing to beware is that their earcups run on the shallow and short circumference side. I wasn't able to wear the wired momentums because they were literally causing my ears to fold up or smash against my head but the 2.0s are adequate.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My opinion is you really need to try all 3 on if you can. If you are going to be wearing them for hours at a time you might have to sacrifice some sound quality for real comfort. I've said this before but I'll say it again. I tried on all 3 of the cans (sony, sens, bose) and the Bose for me were the most comfortable by far.

They 100% do not have the best sound quality and I really wish the others had been more comfortable but I can wear the Bose for a 10 hour flight and not feel any fatigue.

Really when you start getting into that price range you really should try them on if you can. My best buy had all 3 out on display so that helped quite a bit.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
There are other brands out there as well. Pretty much every headphone maker has a pair these days.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don’t know if this is going to be a headphone question, Steam question, or Haus of Tech Support question.

I’ve got a Bluetooth headset. My computer identifies it as two sets of components. It sees headphones, but also sees a headset. On the sound device it shows two options, the headphone and headset. On the recording devices, just headset. The problem is that when I launch stuff on steam, it will either recognize the headphones or headset, not both at the same time. If I have it set to headphones, the mic won’t work. If I have the microphone turned on, the sound doesn’t work. If I have sound set to the headset, it works. The problem is that the headset is mono only and low quality audio. Is there a way to get around this? I’m worried that maybe the physical device can only communicate from one at a time.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don’t know if this is going to be a headphone question, Steam question, or Haus of Tech Support question.

I’ve got a Bluetooth headset. My computer identifies it as two sets of components. It sees headphones, but also sees a headset. On the sound device it shows two options, the headphone and headset. On the recording devices, just headset. The problem is that when I launch stuff on steam, it will either recognize the headphones or headset, not both at the same time. If I have it set to headphones, the mic won’t work. If I have the microphone turned on, the sound doesn’t work. If I have sound set to the headset, it works. The problem is that the headset is mono only and low quality audio. Is there a way to get around this? I’m worried that maybe the physical device can only communicate from one at a time.

Try setting the headset as the 'default communication device' in the windows 'recording devices' menu, then in the playback devices set the headphone as both the default playback device as well as the default communication device. Steam should attempt to automatically use the devices defined as default by windows.

Anyway, you can also try using them with Skype or Discord just to see whether you can actually work with both endpoints simultaneously.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No way around it, that's just the Bluetooth spec. Once it's used as a two-way device (i.e. with a mic), it becomes a mono or low-quality mode device due to bandwidth limitations. Your best bet is to use it as a headphone and get a desk mic or something.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Thanks for the eBay Fostex suggestions. Just picked up some TH-X00 for $256 thanks to the current eBay 20% thing. I'm so excited.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Sorry if this isn't the correct thread to ask about stuff like this but I was thinking of switching to my phone (Galaxy S7) as a main music device instead of my sandisk clip zip due to its inability to hold a charge anymore. Bluetooth headphones seem pretty neat but I've never looked into one before. What would you guys recommend? I'd like to use it for both casual listening while I'm out and about and during exercising, if possible. I don't have a budget mainly because I don't know what prices are like.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 6, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread to ask about stuff like this but I was thinking of switching to my phone (Galaxy S7) as a main music device instead of my sandisk clip zip due to its inability to hold a charge anymore. Bluetooth headphones seem pretty neat but I've never looked into one before. What would you guys recommend? I'd like to use it for both casual listening while I'm out and about and during exercising, if possible. I don't have a budge mainly because I don't know what prices are like.

Kinda depends on if you want over the ears or IEM's. There are a lot of options out there and Blootoof is awesome sauce.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ryuga Death posted:

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread to ask about stuff like this but I was thinking of switching to my phone (Galaxy S7) as a main music device instead of my sandisk clip zip due to its inability to hold a charge anymore. Bluetooth headphones seem pretty neat but I've never looked into one before. What would you guys recommend? I'd like to use it for both casual listening while I'm out and about and during exercising, if possible. I don't have a budge mainly because I don't know what prices are like.

Check out Wirecutter's headphones section. I think they even have an article in there on "what headphones do I need?" If nothing else it should give you an idea of the price and quality spectrum.

Note that I'm not an audiophile at all and am happy with my cheap headphones, so I can't vouch for Wirecutter's audio chops. I just find it a useful place to start often times.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Kinda depends on if you want over the ears or IEM's. There are a lot of options out there and Blootoof is awesome sauce.

I didn't know what IEM was until I googled it. I should probably add that I have a cauliflower ear and I can't use bud earphones since they can't get in.

incogneato posted:

Check out Wirecutter's headphones section. I think they even have an article in there on "what headphones do I need?" If nothing else it should give you an idea of the price and quality spectrum.

Note that I'm not an audiophile at all and am happy with my cheap headphones, so I can't vouch for Wirecutter's audio chops. I just find it a useful place to start often times.

I'm a dummy and couldn't find that particular page besides this:

https://thewirecutter.com/electronics/headphones/

Seems like a lot of stuff that's meant for working out or whatever are mostly buds.

Is it okay to use headphones that go on top of your head for working out? Doesn't seem like the best idea.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

I didn't know what IEM was until I googled it. I should probably add that I have a cauliflower ear and I can't use bud earphones since they can't get in.

I'm a dummy and couldn't find that particular page besides this:

https://thewirecutter.com/electronics/headphones/

Seems like a lot of stuff that's meant for working out or whatever are mostly buds.

Is it okay to use headphones for working out?

Yeah it is although it can get a little musty? ( I think that is what I am going for) in there but lots and lots of people use over the ears to work out. Lots of Gym bros and broettes use Beats.

I would assume you wouldn't want on the ear headphones either since they can get pretty uncomfortable.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it is although it can get a little musty? ( I think that is what I am going for) in there but lots and lots of people use over the ears to work out. Lots of Gym bros and broettes use Beats.

I would assume you wouldn't want on the ear headphones either since they can get pretty uncomfortable.

I thought I heard Beats headphones were generally rip offs? I'm not well versed in headphone tech.

By on the ear headphones, do you mean something like these? That is what I currently use with my mp3 player when I work out and they're fine.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Ryuga Death posted:

I thought I heard Beats headphones were generally rip offs? I'm not well versed in headphone tech.

By on the ear headphones, do you mean something like these? That is what I currently use with my mp3 player when I work out and they're fine.

There is one or two models of beats that aren't that bad. I can't remember which ones those were.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ddogflex posted:

Thanks for the eBay Fostex suggestions. Just picked up some TH-X00 for $256 thanks to the current eBay 20% thing. I'm so excited.
Too bad they finally got it right and added removable cables:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Too bad they finally got it right and added removable cables:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones

Goddamnit. Haha I didn't realize they did. Oh well, probably still worth saving $160...

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What do you all think about the Nuraphone? I heard an ad for them on Song Exploder and they sound interesting but also gimmicky. Do any of you have a pair?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Isn't that the dumb headphone that manages to combine the worst parts of IEMs and closed headphones in one awful package?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
By all accounts the fancy audio processing actually works really well, but comfort is likely to be an issue for a lot of people.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They're surprisingly great earbuds. I'd put them almost on the level with KSC-75s or PortaPros, which is saying a lot.

I finally got them in and they are very impressive for the price. The mids/highs are for sure on par with the Portapros but the bass is pretty lacking. That said the bass that is there (nothing under 100hz) is very clean.

If you're looking for a throwaway pair of 'buds you might as well get these unless you want to spend more.

Also yes that is the amazon link to the buds I'm talking about.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

64bit_Dophins posted:

I finally got them in and they are very impressive for the price. The mids/highs are for sure on par with the Portapros but the bass is pretty lacking. That said the bass that is there (nothing under 100hz) is very clean.

Double up the foam covers if you want bass, it makes a surprisingly big difference

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I went to best buy to check out bluetooth headphones and earbuds. This stuff is not cheap at all.

Does anyone have any opinions on Plantronics BackBeat FIT? I'm worried this thing wouldn't fit my cauliflower ear, but I couldn't find any regular headphones that would also be good for working out.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Double up the foam covers if you want bass, it makes a surprisingly big difference

Huh I'll give that a shot. TBH I haven't even been using the foam covers.

Ryuga Death posted:

I went to best buy to check out bluetooth headphones and earbuds. This stuff is not cheap at all.

Does anyone have any opinions on Plantronics BackBeat FIT? I'm worried this thing wouldn't fit my cauliflower ear, but I couldn't find any regular headphones that would also be good for working out.

Plantronics? You mean the company that makes cheap call center headsets?

drat these are expensive. I wonder if they're actually good. None of the Amazon reviews I'm reading mention audio quality which is generally a bad sign. I'm pretty sure you could get something that sounds just as good for much less than $130 but I haven't tried them so don't listen to me.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I purchased a pair of Steelseries Artics 5 headphones/headset for work about a month ago because my current job requires us to make calls through VOIP and I wanted something comfortable.

I'm honestly pretty impressed with these things. I know that there's a separate thread for 'gaming headsets' (IIRC) but I honestly figured that these would sound like poo poo for anything other than voice and I was pleasantly surprised. The mids are fantastic (as you would expect out of something made for communications), the highs are p decent as well and the low end is clean and not overwhelming (albeit lacking without loving with the equalizer settings).

A few of my friends have $25 no-name gaming headsets and I figured they were all like that but some of the highend stuff isn't' that bad if you don't mind the rice or you're buying it for situations where no one will ever see you wearing them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

These are great for working out but I don’t like them for a few reasons. They really don’t fit worth a poo poo (for me) and because they are “open” the sound quality is really lacking. They are great if you are biking or doing an activity where you want to be able to hear the stuff around you but they really don’t isolate very well. They can take a beating though and they definitely will hold up over the long haul.

Also I would for sure not pay full price for them. I managed to get a pair for like $65ish and am really happy I didn’t pay more. For me I found them to have a really weird fit and honestly I’m not sure how they would feel in your ears being how they are.

You might be best served by getting a pair of sub $100 over the ears cans honestly.

If I can remember tomorrow I’ll throw some links out there for you.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

MarcusSA posted:

These are great for working out but I don’t like them for a few reasons. They really don’t fit worth a poo poo (for me) and because they are “open” the sound quality is really lacking. They are great if you are biking or doing an activity where you want to be able to hear the stuff around you but they really don’t isolate very well. They can take a beating though and they definitely will hold up over the long haul.

Also I would for sure not pay full price for them. I managed to get a pair for like $65ish and am really happy I didn’t pay more. For me I found them to have a really weird fit and honestly I’m not sure how they would feel in your ears being how they are.

You might be best served by getting a pair of sub $100 over the ears cans honestly.

Funny. Audiophiles prefer open headphones because they sound more natural and have better imaging.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks for the info and potential links. I just need some suggestions of head/earphones from people who know better cause I don't know crap about this stuff.

I honestly do prefer more traditional headphones just cause they feel more comfortable but I am still worried about how good they'd be for exercising like whether they'd fall off or not. Stupid cauliflower ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hamelekim posted:

Funny. Audiophiles prefer open headphones because they sound more natural and have better imaging.

Neutral heads represent.

Not that I don't like my flavorful headphones a great deal but neutrality is where the heart lies.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 8, 2018