Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Got my HD6XX in the mail.

They are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ryuga Death posted:

I went to best buy to check out bluetooth headphones and earbuds. This stuff is not cheap at all.

Does anyone have any opinions on Plantronics BackBeat FIT? I'm worried this thing wouldn't fit my cauliflower ear, but I couldn't find any regular headphones that would also be good for working out.

I have Backbeat Fits. I wear them on my bike every day. They sound a little muddy by audiophile standards, but they’re great for working out.

I saw them for $30 refurbished on Groupon last week, so that might be worth a gamble on your hosed up ears.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Ryuga Death posted:

I went to best buy to check out bluetooth headphones and earbuds. This stuff is not cheap at all.

Does anyone have any opinions on Plantronics BackBeat FIT? I'm worried this thing wouldn't fit my cauliflower ear, but I couldn't find any regular headphones that would also be good for working out.

In my opinion, the BackBeat FIT is the best headphone for its intended purpose, which is to be a safe headphone while you’re jogging or riding a bike.

I bought my first pair of BackBeats a long while ago and used them for about a year before dropping them outside of a vacation rental. Before buying another pair of ‘fit’ headphones, I tried quite a few models that were well reviewed around the internet. I much preferred the BackBeat to the Jaybird X3 or any of the Jaylab phones. The X3 was way too isolating to be safe, and I didn’t like the way it fit in my ear with any of the included inserts. The other phones I tried either sounded bad or didn’t fit comfortably around my bike helmet (I can’t remember which ones I looked at...tried out three or four different models). I did not try any of the bone conductive phones.

The Platronics BackBeat fits comfortably under my bike helmet. It’s waterproof and that’s handy if I get caught in the rain. It’s also fine for jogging. I honestly don’t like it quite as much at the gym as it doesn’t keep out noise well enough, and in my lovely gym there’s a ton of high school kids talk-talk-talking while pop music blasts over their lovely PA system.

I also use the BackBeat at work (I’m a scientist and wear them around the lab), and they’re quite good for listening to things while still being able to hear what’s going on around you. Bonus, you can use the control buttons without touching them by bumping your ear around your shoulder.

The fit of the phones is a little weird as they loop over your ear and sit quite loosely in your ear canal. Over a long period of time (6+ hours) they can start to get uncomfortable. The volume from them is fine. I use them almost exclusively with a Galaxy S7 or an iPad Pro, mostly listening to podcasts, classical music, classic rock, or 90s alternative. To my ear, the sound quality is far superior to the aforementioned ‘fitness’ headphones. They’ve got a similar quality profile to my Hifiman RE-400s (meaning the sound profile is very good to excellent, but not great).

The controls on the phones are convenient and they sync easily. The call quality is good, or at least the people I’ve telephoned with have said it’s good. As for negatives...my current pair crapped out after ~six months and I had a hell of a time getting Platronics to RMA them. They claimed they wouldn’t accept the return as my receipt from Wal-Mart did not list the condition as ‘new.’ Also, the headphones don’t have a clip or magnetized ends or anything so when you take them out of your ears they’re awkward to carry around. You’ll be tempted to just leave them hang around your neck but it’s easy to have them slip off and get lost that way. Finally, as I mentioned the PURPOSE of these headphones is to allow you to hear your media while also hearing your surroundings, so I don’t think they’re good in the typical cut-rate gym where people are talking and the music is blasting. You might find yourself pumping up the volume to drown out the ambient noise, and that’s bad for your ears long term.

If you want some backbeat fits they can usually be found for $60 or less. Costco has them right now for $49.99 (they usually have them this time of year). For a noisy gym I’d recommend something more noise isolating, but if you’re in an environment where it’s important to hear ambient sound the BackBeats are top tier.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I really want a pair of high-end Bluetooth over-ear headphones and it seems the top recommends are Bose QuietComfort 35, Sony 1000XM2, Beats Solo 3, and the Sennheiser HD-1s. I’m lucky enough that the BestBuy in my town has all of these on display.

I find the Sony headphones to have the worst sound, though the noise cancelling is pretty good. Beats is the least comfortable to wear. Bose QC and Sennheiser have the best sound quality IMHO. I found the Bose to get hot pretty fast. The Sennheiser are comfortable but they don’t have very robust noise cancellation (not a deal breaker) and I think they look a little dorky.

For some reason the HD-1s are relatively easy to find cheap compared to all the others. Is there going to be a hardware refresh on the HD-1 sometime soon? I’ve also heard the Sennheiser Bluetooth phones have dubious build quality. Can any goons give some experiences or vital insider knowledge on these headphones?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

I have Backbeat Fits. I wear them on my bike every day. They sound a little muddy by audiophile standards, but they’re great for working out.

I saw them for $30 refurbished on Groupon last week, so that might be worth a gamble on your hosed up ears.

Gameko posted:

In my opinion, the BackBeat FIT is the best headphone for its intended purpose, which is to be a safe headphone while you’re jogging or riding a bike.

Thanks, this is good to hear. Using my current pair of workout headphones at the gym, I do notice the outside noise is definitely very loud. The Fits seem like a good pair for when I do stuff that doesn't involve being at the gym. What's something you'd recommend for going to the gym with?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

I’m currently using the ISOtunes Pro at my gym, but I can’t really recommend it. The sound quality is bargain basement...something like radio quality. I also think the Bluetooth connectivity is bad. It doesn’t work well beyond 6 feet, and it has trouble connecting when I put my phone in my pocket. Also, the control pad thingie is always getting caught on my collar and pulling at my ears.

I went with the ISOtunes because i wanted an extreme amount of isolation for mowing the lawn or using the snow blower/leaf blower. For that it’s good enough. Pricy though for that use case. As expensive as they are I think they should offer better sound and build quality. Some days I’ll take both the ISOtunes and the BackBeats to my gym and then swap them out depending on how loud and crowded it is.

Someone else can probably recommend a good set of noise isolating bluetooths that are maybe not so good for mowing the grass but plenty good enough for the gym.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

evobatman posted:

Got my HD6XX in the mail.

They are good.

Yup. Still my favorite for sure.

Mestizo
Sep 19, 2003

"Why would anyone want to kill me, I'm awesome"
Hey guys, looking for some headphones to use in my travels. The ones I have get uncomfortable over long stretches. Thanks in advance.

Budget - $200
Source - Phone (S7), iPad, Laptop, Infotainment system on planes.
Isolation Requirements - Isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced.
Past Headphones - B&W P5s - Sound good to me, however uncomfortable after a while and they were gifted in white and look gross now... . AKG K-26P- budget and got the job done, however now used by my wife. B&O Play- Used for workouts.
Preferred Music - I love all music. Instrumentals and alternative rock are probably my favorite.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

drat it, the HD 650s are good. They're really good. But they're just not the HD 600s I fell in love with. Time to trade.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mestizo posted:

Hey guys, looking for some headphones to use in my travels. The ones I have get uncomfortable over long stretches. Thanks in advance.

Budget - $200
Past Headphones - B&W P5s - Sound good to me, however uncomfortable after a while and they were gifted in white and look gross now... . AKG K-26P- budget and got the job done, however now used by my wife. B&O Play- Used for workouts.
Preferred Music - I love all music. Instrumentals and alternative rock are probably my favorite.

Brainwavz HM5?

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/hm5-studio-monitor-headphones

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Back again and buying more headphones. Looking for some Bluetooth headphones for walking the dog, doing yard work, chores around the house, etc. These will be used for podcasts the vast majority of the time so great sound quality isn't important but "not poo poo" would be good. I'm having trouble finding something that ticks these boxes though:

- not too isolating
- nothing that wraps behind my ear because I wear glasses
- not neck-band style because I need a scarf outside in the winter
- water resistant enough to wear in rain and snow

Some of the on-ear or over-ear ones could work because I don't mind just listening to one channel, but they don't tend to be waterproof. Another option is maybe AirPods? They're small enough to fit under a hood or a hat, but I'm kinda worried about losing them. The Jaybird X3s look decent but the proprietary charging thing makes me think they'll end up in a drawer somewhere after I lose the piece and they stop making it.

Any other suggestions? Budget is whatever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

Back again and buying more headphones. Looking for some Bluetooth headphones for walking the dog, doing yard work, chores around the house, etc. These will be used for podcasts the vast majority of the time so great sound quality isn't important but "not poo poo" would be good. I'm having trouble finding something that ticks these boxes though:

- not too isolating

Some of the on-ear or over-ear ones could work because I don't mind just listening to one channel, but they don't tend to be waterproof. Another option is maybe AirPods? They're small enough to fit under a hood or a hat, but I'm kinda worried about losing them. The Jaybird X3s look decent but the proprietary charging thing makes me think they'll end up in a drawer somewhere after I lose the piece and they stop making it.

AirPods.

Seriously. You can get them from an Apple store and if you don’t like them they will take them back no questions asked with in 14 days. They also do the one channel very well.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Mestizo posted:

Budget - $200

a few choices

One More Driver Triple Over Ear - Newest in headphone tech, lots of positive reviews, and they fit the harman curve really well, so they should present as neutral.

ATH-M50X, solid and rugged. Will basically last forever if treated well. Slightly hyped and forward in the mids, but they retain a speaker like tone.

Focal Spirit Pro's, surprisingly good reference cans. Not super hyped from what I've heard and they're quickly replacing the Sony MDR-7506 as a standard monitoring can.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 10, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Anker whatevers from amazon for $20 or airpods

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

prom candy posted:

- not too isolating

Jabra Elite 65t.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have had a pair of backbeat fits for like 2-3 years that have been great for me listening to music or podcasts while biking.

Hamelekim posted:

Funny. Audiophiles prefer open headphones because they sound more natural and have better imaging.

Well, for over ear, not in ear. But as has been pointed out it’s a design concession to the intended purpose of the headphone (maintaining awareness of outside sounds while exercising).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it worth waiting for AirPod 2 or is that just a rumour? Backbeat Fit look great except I don't like having anything that goes around my ear with my glasses.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

prom candy posted:

Is it worth waiting for AirPod 2 or is that just a rumour? Backbeat Fit look great except I don't like having anything that goes around my ear with my glasses.

Its just a rumor at this point. Check them out they are pretty awesome.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

quote:

Don’t worry much about the backbeat. They’re really comfortable with glasses. With sunglasses on and a bike helmet I hardly notice them. I also wear them at work around the science lab and they don’t rub against my safely glasses or anything.

They only become uncomfortable for me after prolonged use...we’re talking >5hrs, and even then it’s not a real rubbing discomfort thing. It’s more of an I-gotta-get-this-poo poo-outta-my-ears thing.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here have any experience or comment on Bose SoundSport wireless?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Ryuga Death posted:

I’ve got the wired ones, they sound ok but mostly I got them because they don’t fatigue my ears at all, super comfortable for long periods of time.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

Man...they're expensive. They seem to review really well.

I'd hesitate to own such a pricey set if sport phones because I'd worry about wear and tear or theft.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ryuga Death posted:

Eh, I would generally avoid bose. You pay more for less sound quality with most if not all of their stuff.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
A bit of warning on the Backbeat Fit is that they aren't really good for yard work/chores. For me at least. The around the neck part doesn't really play nice when bending over with my head up. Stuff like yard work and cleaning my pool typically result in one of the earphones falling out, which is annoying when wearing some sort of gloves. For things like going for a walk, run (not recommended with the garming forerunner 645 music if you wear it on your left wrist,) and other activities, it is pretty good.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Budget - $500 or less, used preferably
Source - Onkyo DP-X1
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - Westone 4 - Love the detail retrieval on this but the vocals sound recessed to me - it sucks that the cables aren't removable too since I could put the DP-X1's balanced out to good use
Preferred Music - Anything but hip-hop or R&B

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

Eh, I would generally avoid bose. You pay more for less sound quality with most if not all of their stuff.

What company or companies would you recommend?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

It is a bit more complicated then he would suggest.

Yes their Audio quality isn’t the best but you really aren’t buying them for that. You are paying for their superior ANC technology and comfort.

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Does connecting an earphone with a 3.5mm jack into the balanced out of your DAP using a 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male connector brick the unit? I've read a warning that says you should not use both jacks at the same time but that really doesn't apply here because you're only plugged in to the 2.5mm jack, right?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ryuga Death posted:

Personally?

Shure and Sennheiser are the two that I own that have wireless headphones/iems

The new Shure iems all come with a wireless variant that looks interesting. I might buy a cable for my SE846s. I have the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless which have great sound and good active noise cancelling. just go to https://www.headphone.com and select your use case from the headphone dropdown. There are tons of brands out there with really great audio.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
At work I just moved into a very open, no wall around desks "back in the call centers you started your career in 15 years ago" vibe floor. So I think I'm in the market for some Full Size Circumaural with a decent microphone for Zoom calls. Any recommendations < $100 on Amazon? Wireless is not necessary at all.

3peat
May 6, 2010

I'm looking to ditch my old PC speakers and get both new higher quality speakers and headphones for my PC. For speakers I already decided on a pair of JBL lsr305 to which I'll add a sub later on, but for headphones I'm pretty undecided especially since I've never had any before.
Looking at reviews and random internet opinions it seems the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 are the best you can get unless you're gonna spend thousands of euros, are they good enough or should I be looking at something else in that price range or cheaper?
I'd mainly use the headphones in the evening and at night when I can't turn up the volume on the speakers, and I'd use them for games and music (mainly hip hop and reggaeton).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

3peat posted:

I'm looking to ditch my old PC speakers and get both new higher quality speakers and headphones for my PC. For speakers I already decided on a pair of JBL lsr305 to which I'll add a sub later on, but for headphones I'm pretty undecided especially since I've never had any before.
Looking at reviews and random internet opinions it seems the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 are the best you can get unless you're gonna spend thousands of euros, are they good enough or should I be looking at something else in that price range or cheaper?
I'd mainly use the headphones in the evening and at night when I can't turn up the volume on the speakers, and I'd use them for games and music (mainly hip hop and reggaeton).

“Best” is hugely subjective. I like the Beyer sound a lot, but plenty of other people are bothered by the treble.

If that’s what you’re eyeing, I’d maybe suggest saving a bunch of cash and trying the DT990 first. You may be totally satisfied. Tech hasn’t advanced very far since they were flavor-of-the-month.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 18, 2018

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Has anyone done for the mod for Sennheiser 558/598/599s that lets you plug in a 3.5mm boom mic? I've heard that the consistency of the setup can be bad due to the cheap 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter used, but I also see a lot of quality control issues in the 2.5mm mic everyone seems to recommend https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Universal-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Headphone/dp/B01IRCXC9S#customerReviews

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have that 2.5mm mic and it's been good. I've only had it since April. I've also heard bad things but it's not that expensive.

I want to mod a 3.5mm jack into my AD700s and switch back to those, they're so god drat comfortable.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Has anyone done for the mod for Sennheiser 558/598/599s that lets you plug in a 3.5mm boom mic? I've heard that the consistency of the setup can be bad due to the cheap 2.5 to 3.5mm adapter used, but I also see a lot of quality control issues in the 2.5mm mic everyone seems to recommend https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Universal-Sennheiser-Audio-Technica-Headphone/dp/B01IRCXC9S#customerReviews

No idea, went modmic with mine and haven't regretted it since. Too bad they've raised their prices even more :/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

prom candy posted:

I have that 2.5mm mic and it's been good. I've only had it since April. I've also heard bad things but it's not that expensive.

I want to mod a 3.5mm jack into my AD700s and switch back to those, they're so god drat comfortable.

It's relatively more expensive since I already have a VModa boom mic I could use. The modmic is twice the price but maybe that's worth it if this other one is iffy.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has anyone here ever bought anything by mpow? They're all over the Canadian Amazon site and seem to get good reviews.

I was specifically looking at these which seem to hit all the right things I'm looking for:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077NXSLVS/ref=emc_b_5_i

Not exactly a huge audiophile (and I have terrible hearing anyway) so stuff like comfort/durability/reliability/battery life are a little more important to me.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Budget - $100 or less.
Source - PH-1 phone (Android)
Isolation Requirements - Less would be better.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or Warm
Past Headphones - Dunu Trident - I liked these much more after buying foam plugs. XiaoMi Piston 3- flat and joyless
Beyerdynamic DTX 102 Ie- a little lacking in bass, but that could be my phone cancelling my EQ.
Preferred Music - metal, podcasts, punk, folk

Bluetooth is nice but not essential.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hi all, looking for wireless on ear headphones to wear for a few hours a day at work. Wireless is highly preferred as I'd like to be able to get up and move around my office.

Budget - $200 or less on amazon (giftcards), preferably around $100.
Source - Primarily PC/laptop, but maybe my pixel 2 or iPad or something if I'm traveling
Isolation Requirements - I don't think I have a preference?
Preferred Type of Headphone - On ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or Warm
Past Headphones - A bunch of cheap in-ears, an old sennheiser RS120(?) RF headphones that stopped working (also the ear pads made my ears warm)
Preferred Media - metal, podcasts, classic rock, youtube videos

If I can get something comfy that will hold up decently well for cheap I'm willing to sacrifice on sound quality. As an example I'd rather buy a $50 pair that's the same comfort and relative durability as a $150+ pair that sounds slightly better.

On the other hand, if there is a no-brainer pick for what I'm looking at I'm willing to spend a moderate amount on it if it's going to hold up well.

Bonus points for a microphone that I could use for the occasional skype/goto meeting/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
JBL E55BT Over-Ear Wireless Headphones Teal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9EG3DN?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Got these for my wife for this use case a few months back and she is happy with them. Comes with a detachable cable to use in wired mode and that cable has a mic, but no wireless mic.