Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

guppy posted:

My parents are going to be spending something like 36 hours on airplanes and asked me if I knew of any good noise-cancelling IEMs. I don't know if that's even a thing outside of Bose and they don't want to pay the $300 or whatever that Bose is asking. I'm guessing it's not possible to satisfy all of these criteria but are there any acceptable noise-cancelling IEMs at or below an $80 price point?

Etymotic IEM's isolate as well as anything out there, they tend to insert kind of deep, but if you can wear those silicone triflange ear plugs, you can wear these. The Ety Kids 5 is the low end at $40 at amazon, they isolate drat good and don't sound too bad at all. Very detailed. All Ety's are lean on bass and they're no exception, they also seem to have a bit of a bump around 6K. They have a high impedance to help limit the volume, keeping kids, the intended target, from damaging their hearing.

Joker did a good writeup on them in his review IEM thread on head-fi.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-302-iems-compared-1964ears-v6-stage-added-11-12-13-p-806

Personally, I'd want something a bit less bright and fatiguing for a long trip like that, maybe the $65 Vsonic GR06 would work, it also gets 14 different sets of tips and the nozzle swivels so I don't think very many people will have problems getting a good seal.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Paradox Personified posted:

So my Yamaha EPH-100s came in today, the left audio channel was totally out and the right audio sounded like a loving pair of those iPhone pieces of poo poo... look, do they sound tinny and bass-less even when working properly, and even with the equalizer jacked up like crazy? I'm just tired of the constant pain from over-ear sets, and the last over-ear I had was a Nady brand, QH560, and its online presence was nothing compared to the glowing four and five-star reviews these Yamahas get- and the sound from the Nady set was still better, the bass I could reach with those was amazing. For further comparison, last IEM I had which caused me to fall in love with the design was a Sennheiser brand (a couple of CX500s) and it didn't even sound this bad.
When I get the replacement from Amazon, should I expect iPhone-headphone quality again from those Yamaha EPH-100s?

No, that definitely isn't right. The EPH-100 should sound very full and warm, not tinny at all. Sounds like you got a bad pair. It's also possible that the headphone jack on your player/phone has some gunk/dust in it that's messing with the connection.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks everyone. I passed on your suggestions.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

guppy posted:

Thanks everyone. I passed on your suggestions.

I've got some experience of this, having tried two brands on noise-cancelling IEMs on intercontinental flights, and I don't seem to agree with the rest of the crew here. I'm regularly using one pair from Audio Technica (ATH-ANC23 BK IM). It does really make a huge difference when you switch on the NC, so it's not just the passive isolation working. I don't keep them turned on when sleeping on the flight, because I find the drone of the engines doesn't really bother me then. It's when I'm watching a movie or TV show that it really shines. I can use a waaaay lower volume setting with these, which saves a lot of ear fatigue, without missing out on any dialogue. They come with an airplane adapter, and are not very pricy at all.

Using regular IEMs is fine, too, it just isolates noticeably less. I wouldn't spend too much on audio quality because they're mostly gonna hear engine noise anyway in that case (auditory masking etc).

In any setting outside of an long-haul airplane flight, I would recommend against getting active NC, but that is the one situation where I think it's warranted.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Budget - 50ish dollars

Source - 90% iPad/iPod, 10% PC

Isolation Requirements - YES, I sometimes use my headphones as earplugs when studying in a distracting place.

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM, they need to be portable and be able to be thrown in a backpack. Also they need to be black, I'm not a frat boy. Also, I have smallish ear canals, so swappable rubbers are pretty much needed.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to a wide variety of music, so I would think balanced? I feel mid-bass is more important to me than sub-bass.

Past Headphones - I had some IEM skullcandies until I recently lost them. They met my needs, but I'd love to step my game up and see what sounds I have been missing.

Preferred Music - I listen to a lot of Electronic Dance Music (think BBC essential mixes). Lots of Drum and Bass. Trap, Classic rock, Eurobeat, NPR broadcast, Folk Rock, pretty much everything but country.

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 24, 2013

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

djfooboo posted:

Budget - 50ish dollars

Source - 90% iPad/iPod, 10% PC

Isolation Requirements - YES, I sometimes use my headphones as earplugs when studying in a distracting place.

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM, they need to be portable and be able to be thrown in a backpack. Also they need to be black, I'm not a frat boy. Also, I have smallish ear canals, so swappable rubbers are pretty much needed.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to a wide variety of music, so I would think balanced? I feel mid-bass is more important to me than sub-bass.

Past Headphones - I had some IEM skullcandies until I recently lost them. They met my needs, but I'd love to step my game up and see what sounds I have been missing.

Preferred Music - I listen to a lot of Electronic Dance Music (think BBC essential mixes). Lots of Drum and Bass. Trap, Classic rock, Eurobeat, NPR broadcast, Folk Rock, pretty much everything but country.

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolating-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ/

I constantly hear good things about these, and they're right in your budget.

side note: I wonder how they fare up alongside the Bose IE2?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Anyone know if they've released any news on some mid-tier high-tier IEM deals for black friday? Or will we have to wait until later this week?

Budget - 150-200ish
Source - Iphone / laptop
Isolation Requirements - good isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - As long as it has great sound quality and you can tell/differentiate where sound in the music is coming from
Past Headphones - I have a V-moda m80s and a klipsch x10 from last year's amazon sale
Preferred Music - Anything from Rock, electronic to classical

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm going to start commuting on the train again, and I'm looking for a nice pair of headphones. I'm to get something like the Sony MW600 for bluetooth bridging, since I had having my phone tethered to my head. In NYC especially it's a pain, since a lot of times the cord gets hooked by someone and I'd rather have the bluetooth clip flip out of my pocket instead of my phone.

I've always used ear buds, but I'd like a decent pair of over the ear headphones. My budget is around a hundred. I don't want thumping bass driving headphones, I enjoy listening to music that requires high frequencies to be clear and crisp.

Any suggestions? I'm going to dig through this thread today, seen as I'm winding down my last week at my old job and no one cares enough to schedule meetings with me to hand off my projects, so I just have a web of cubicle web surfing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Tactical Lesbian posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolating-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ/

I constantly hear good things about these, and they're right in your budget.

side note: I wonder how they fare up alongside the Bose IE2?

From Headphone website:
(1) Etymotic HF5, $90-$150. Excellent isolation with a rather neutral/natural sound. Anemic, yet punchy, bass, clear/detailed and neutral mids and sparkling highs. Very analytical and detailed.

Anemic yet punchy bass? I'm not sure what that means. Like a bass note is strong only on a downbeat then fades?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Anemic yet punchy bass? I'm not sure what that means.

Disregard it, is my best advice.

Etymotics typically shoot for a "flat response," meaning that all frequencies are roughly the same volume. However, most people don't like to listen to music that way, and when they move to a flat response from something else that boosts sounds like bass, it sounds weird and bad to them.

If you want to know more, I did a stupidly huge post on sound a while back. A lot of these terms exist because there's a need to discuss and identify characteristics of sound when buying headphones, but unless you've got a certain level of education in the subject you're going to be grabbing at straws trying to make your points relatable to your audience. Ergo, unquantifiable and nebulous descriptions.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Anyone got any comments on my below post, by any chance?

Just need to know a bit about amping, and some comments on the isolation of the Sonys and suitability to my needs.

Ordered the Shure SRH1540s - excited!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Hi guys. I’d really appreciate two bits of advice: on some IEMs, and on amping for the new cans I’ve got my sights on. I’ve been doing a fair bit of research, including reading the nice guide linked to in the OP, but as usual when I do this I find more questions popping up and my position on everything shifting.

Amping

I’m looking to buy the new Shure SRH1540. These are to be paired mainly with my PC, which has an M Audio 2496 card feeding Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers. I plug my current old phones directly into the headphone socket on the speakers. I understand that I could do the same with the SRH1540 as they are a fairly sensitive phone that will run fine without an amp, but that improvement will still be seen with one.

What I need to really understand here is whether to get an amp, amp+DAC or nothing at all.

1. How much is the DAC necessary with a decent sound card like the M Audio?
2. If I just use an amp, can I incorporate it with the speakers so it’s easy to switch between phones and speaker? As in Computer>Speakers>Amp>Phones? Or do the phones and speakers need to be connected separately? I don’t know what connectors headphone amps use.
3. Same as above but if there’s a DAC involved too? I assume the answer is different due to the DAC acting like a separate sound card.

I was looking at one of the Fiios, either the E17 or E12 depending on whether I get the DAC or not. Not certain I need a portable one, but it would be nice to occasionally use with my Cowon. I’m open to other suggestions if there are better options out there (up to about £100 ideally).

IEMs

Source: A Cowon J3 with music entirely in FLAC format.

Music: Pretty broad, but with an emphasis on prog and heavy blues rock (Floyd, Crimson, Mars Volta, Zappa, Zeppelin), musical theatre, and classical (orchestral and chamber works and a lots of piano music – both solo and concerto works). Piano definitely needs to sound good. I also listen to other forms of rock, jazz, folk and a bit of reggae. I rarely listen to hip hop, electronica or country, and never drum and bass.

Ideal sound is probably smooth but not unexciting and is detailed throughout, with tight, punchy bass and treble that sings and sparkles nicely, but I’m open to other signatures with the right gear.

I currently have a pair of Panasonic HJE900s, which are a lot fun for the rockier stuff, if a touch fatiguing at times, but not ideal for classical music. I guess I’m mainly looking to replace my other, broken pair (Ortofon E-Q7s). I loved the detail and transparency of the Ortofons, but found them just a touch too mellow. I was thinking a good upgrade on those - with some similarities but a bit more fun in the mix too - would be the Sony MDR-EX1000. I am slightly concerned about the apparent wind noise/isolation issues, though, as I use my IEMs daily while walking the dog. Maybe this can be alleviated with a different tip? I’m open to suggestions of phones with different sound signatures that might fit my needs, in any case. I’ve always been curious about the Earsonics SM3s. But there’s so much out there it’s kind of overwhelming.

So, guys – your thoughts are most welcome. I know very little about amping and would appreciate any advice on that front. Similarly, more comments on the Sonys would be great (particularly on the isolation side of things) along with any other suggestions.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no knowledge about the Sony's but different tips aren't going to help with microphonics if that's the issue. There are many IEM's in that price range, maybe you should look to something that doesn't have microphonics issues instead of trying to work around them? The giant IEM comparos on Head-Fi would probably be pretty reliable on stuff like handling noise.

Can your card output two sets of stereo at the same time? Then you could connect one output to the speakers and another to the headphone amp. Then you just turn one down and the other up to switch. I'd do the same thing with a DAC, just run the digital out at the same time as the speaker out and just turn off the speakers when you want to listen to headphones.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

powderific posted:

I have no knowledge about the Sony's but different tips aren't going to help with microphonics if that's the issue. There are many IEM's in that price range, maybe you should look to something that doesn't have microphonics issues instead of trying to work around them? The giant IEM comparos on Head-Fi would probably be pretty reliable on stuff like handling noise.

Can your card output two sets of stereo at the same time? Then you could connect one output to the speakers and another to the headphone amp. Then you just turn one down and the other up to switch. I'd do the same thing with a DAC, just run the digital out at the same time as the speaker out and just turn off the speakers when you want to listen to headphones.

My card only has one outputting set of phono jacks.

The other output is a 15-pin D-sub connector with coaxial S/PDIF. From what I can see, DACs are USB, though?

I thought maybe I could connect a USB DAC/amp like the Fiio E17 or this Epiphany. Then switch audio outputs in Windows as and when I want to change.

From what you're saying though I should be able to run both without going into Windows audio settings each time I want to switch, even with a DAC?

You're probably right about the tips with the Sonys - I was mainly wondering how bad the isolation truly is out of the box.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I run my e17 off optical toslink and it'll also run off spdif. DAC just means that digital (like the spdif output) is being converted to analog and there are plenty of non USB DAC's out there. You just need to see what inputs they support. If your card can't do it I'd think that your motherboard would be able to if it's at all recent.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Got you. Thanks. Sorry for the dumb questions.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No worries. Some of your more specific questions might be better answered at head-fi as you've got a better chance of finding people who have first hand experience with a broad range high end IEM's.

Been looking for a set of compact portable headphones and wound up finding some AKG K451's for $20 open box. For the price they're pretty nice. Sound's good enough for my purposes, they're relatively comfortable, and they get really small. If you touch the cord or cans at all there's a lot of handling noise, which is my biggest gripe with them.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I just found out that the most awesome vacuum tube store on earth is closing forever on Saturday. (Seriously. Akihabara Radio Store is closing. The world is a sadder place.) I want to get up there and buy some tubes for our Schitt Lyr for my husband for christmas. If you could buy anything, what would you get? He's got Sovteks in it now, changed from the NOS GE 6BZ7s that came with it. He usually listens to his HD800s with it.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I've heard good things about Mullard NOS tubes.

edit
somehow forgot a word.

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 28, 2013

xntrggr
Feb 15, 2008
the cooking god of steak
The HiFiMAN HE-300 will be on sale on Friday for $149. Has anyone tried these headphones? I've read that they are easily driven and I won't need a huge amp, and for that price it seems like a steal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

n/m

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 28, 2013

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Budget: 150-250$. Looking for something in the medium price range.

Source: For the most part, I'll be playing my music from my iPod.

Isolation requirements: Closed would probably be for the best. Most of the time whenever I listen to music I'm either on the bus/metro or at school.

Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear. It should also look nice (I'll trust your judgement on this ).

Preferred Tonal Balance: I would prefer bass heavy headphones while keeping a nice balance overall.

Past Headphones: Until now, all that I have been using have been either IEM's or earbuds. Truthfully, I listen to music so much that I'd rather have some quality headphones. That and IEM's or earbuds seem to crumble in my hands.

Preferred Music: I will solely listen to EDM music, either House, Trance, Dubstep and the likes.

This is going to be my first pair of over-ear headphones, I'm looking to have something that's pretty durable. I don't really want to have to replace it within a few months.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

xntrggr posted:

The HiFiMAN HE-300 will be on sale on Friday for $149. Has anyone tried these headphones? I've read that they are easily driven and I won't need a huge amp, and for that price it seems like a steal.

My experience with planars is that they benefit lots from an amp. Then again that's only 2, Mad Dogs and T50RP, which are the same headphone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone's interested in the Audio-Technica M50, it's going to be an Amazon lightning deal at 3am EST, so 18 hours from now.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Does anyone have any experience with RHA headphones? I'm looking for a new set of in ear headphones and they look like exactly the sort of thing I want (the M600 or M750). Reviews seem pretty positive and the three year warranty sounds good, was just wondering what the opinion on them is.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Midorka posted:

My experience with planars is that they benefit lots from an amp. Then again that's only 2, Mad Dogs and T50RP, which are the same headphone.

The HE-300 has dynamic drivers.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm looking to buy headphones for my father's christmas.
He's going to mainly use them to watch movies and sometimes a little bit of music in order not to wake my mother :v:

Budget - 100ish$
Source - Television
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size and it must be wireless
Preferred Tonal Balance - Suitable for movies
Past Headphones - I'm sorry but I can't remember what old headphones my father used before
Preferred Music - My father listen to stuff like Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones etc...

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I need some replacement running headphones. These are on sale for $9.99. I figure you can't go wrong for :tenbux:, but I didn't know if anyone had any input. Thanks!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ksc75's are also in sale for ten bucks and I really like them for running. They don't isolate at all, which may or may not be attractive to you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

the posted:

I need some replacement running headphones. These are on sale for $9.99. I figure you can't go wrong for :tenbux:, but I didn't know if anyone had any input. Thanks!

The M6 are fantastic for what they are/their usual price point, and they're a steal at <$10. They've appeared in this thread a couple of times, always with praise.

I have the M6P (the version with the inline mic/remote) and I love them as beater earbuds with isolation. They're a bit below the Apple EarPods (the ones that debuted with the iPhone 5) sound-wise- so don't expect anything fantastic on that front- but they isolate like much much more expensive IEMs with the right tips.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Hey guys - which of these should I buy, the Audio-Technica ATH-CKS55BK or the Sennheiser CX 300B MK II? Or something else?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
To cover what I said up there I was looking at this one which has quite good reviews on Amazon.
Any input?

Philips SHC8535

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I'm sure it's already been discussed in the thread, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with earwax? Not for getting rid of it, since that's probably both impossible and damaging, but more for just stopping it getting in the way, clogging up the earphones and then having to clean them afterwards.

It's a bit of an issue for me, I often end up with my ears feeling blocked after using my eardrums and I often find them clogged with wax after taking them out. Does anyone have any ways of either preventing this or dealing with it?

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Considering between the MDR 1Rs and MA900s. I loved my 7506s, but remember them getting uncomfortably hot after using them for a while, so I think I'll go MA900, but was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Budget - $50-$150
Source - iPod/iPhone
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - Would prefer bass heavy, but its not that high of a priority
Past Headphones - Shure e2c, Shure SE115 - loved them both
Preferred Music - Hip-Hop, Electronic

Looking for a pair of headphones for the gym to replace my Shure SE115's. The big thing for me is that the Shure line had a modular cord. (The headphones were basically a 1 foot cord with a 2 foot extension) This allowed me to clip my iPod nano to the collar of my shirt for my workout. The Shure SE210's had this feature, but the current SE215's are now just a single 3 foot cord. Right now I'm leaning toward purchasing a pair of the older SE210's on eBay. I haven't had any luck finding any headphones in a similar quality bracket with this "short cord" feature. Does anyone know any alternatives with a short cord?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That Which Squeaks posted:

Considering between the MDR 1Rs and MA900s. I loved my 7506s, but remember them getting uncomfortably hot after using them for a while, so I think I'll go MA900, but was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts.
The 7506 were sweaty because they were closed headphones with pleather earpds. Same for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

sharktamer posted:

I'm sure it's already been discussed in the thread, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with earwax? Not for getting rid of it, since that's probably both impossible and damaging, but more for just stopping it getting in the way, clogging up the earphones and then having to clean them afterwards.

It's a bit of an issue for me, I often end up with my ears feeling blocked after using my eardrums and I often find them clogged with wax after taking them out. Does anyone have any ways of either preventing this or dealing with it?

You could plunk a couple bucks down for an ear canal irrigation kit from the drugstore. Just be sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

It won't solve all your problems, but it might prevent excessive wax buildup.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Yuns posted:

I don't have any experience with the EPH-100s but I am very curious about the condition you got them in. Was there any indication that they might be counterfeits? Were they purchased from Amazon or through another vendor on Amazon?

They were from Amazon, not through a secondary vendors. I rarely go through vendors. For some elusive RAM, maybe. Anyhow.
The replacements are out for delivery (SmartPost isn't so bad after all, thanks FedEx!) and I'm so extremely curious as to how this new pair will turn out. Thus far, though, it's been such a pleasant experience with Amazon and the USPS RMA-pickup guy had a cool earring.
Forgot to add; this is a very nice website, tons of tests and very simple layout: https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 29, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

You could plunk a couple bucks down for an ear canal irrigation kit from the drugstore. Just be sure you follow the instructions to the letter.

It won't solve all your problems, but it might prevent excessive wax buildup.

This. My dad and I have wax-buildup issues, and we have to irrigate at least weekly. Alternatively, you can go to an ENT and they can remove the wax with a special tool, but that gets expensive.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
So as a person who has a V-moda m80 and mid-tier IEM and not some studio quality stuff, is buying an amp/dac a good idea if I use my laptop / iphone 5 for music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

So as a person who has a V-moda m80 and mid-tier IEM and not some studio quality stuff, is buying an amp/dac a good idea if I use my laptop / iphone 5 for music?

Doubtful. Not sure about the IEM but the M80s don't draw a ton of current.