Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

ItBreathes posted:

Y'all got a preferred place to buy mmcx cables? I'm not inclined to spend $30 on a Shure one if they're not going to last years like the original one.

I have owned official Shure cables for over 5 years without any issues, including the black version with the microphone for the SE846. ALO audio sells great cables, but they are even more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My first set lasted like 6 years, but this one is crapping out after like a year and a half (which is still pretty good, maybe I'm just disappointed because it just started)

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

ItBreathes posted:

My first set lasted like 6 years, but this one is crapping out after like a year and a half (which is still pretty good, maybe I'm just disappointed because it just started)

There's always hardware that fails early. Usually it's a small percentage but it sucks when it's you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you gotta spend to get a decent pair of earbuds? Gf has been using iPhone and now Samsung buds forever, she would like something that wont fall out when exercising or walking. I'd like to get her wireless but seems like you cant get much more than a few hours out of any set which is kinda understandable but she uses them a lot. So I think its gonna have to be wired. I'm a big Klipsch guy and I was gonna buy her the R6Ms but the sale I had my eye on is gone and I dunno if I wanna spend $79 (Canada) on the ones without the mic especially seeing a few reviews cite build quality issues. She's no audiophile but I don't wanna buy her crap either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can get the beats x for as low as 49.99

Or just get some AirPods because they are loving awesome and you love her right??

Seriously though the AirPods are awesome if she has an iPhone already those are my choice. They get a good like 5 hours on a charge and recharge really drat fast.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No, like. She has headphones in for about that much every day. She would have to charge them every day. She upgraded from iPhone so the airpods are out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Despite my above trobles I'm a big fan of the Shure 215s. It's my understanding you can get the same / better sound for less money nowadays, but they're built like a tank. Not exactly cheap tho.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buy 2 pairs of $20 anker bluetooth earbuds

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I already got her a cheapo monoprice pair which she likes well enough except they don't stay in when exercising. And they only last like 4 hours. But I told them about the charge flap falling off and they sent us another pair so not bad for 11 bucks

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

codo27 posted:

What do you gotta spend to get a decent pair of earbuds?

Wired? Maybe 15 bux. Grab some KZ ATE or ZS3s from Amazon. Cheap chinese earbuds are a whole universe of pretty amazing quality for price if you know what to look for.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Those KZs look pretty cool. I had a look on BB and they've got a pair of Sony's on for almost half off and I got a $5 gift cert I need to burn from the closure of their rewards program so I'm gonna grab them for $20. They have some kinda android compatible app too. 90% of what she listens to anyway is youtube that should never be listened to by anyone (philip defranco for example) so I guess anything truly hifi would sorta be a waste. I'll spend what I save on more gifts for her birthday.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

ItBreathes posted:

Y'all got a preferred place to buy mmcx cables? I'm not inclined to spend $30 on a Shure one if they're not going to last years like the original one.

If you don't care that it ships from Hong Kong, I got this for $16 and have had no complaints after a couple of months.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

e:nvm

5-HT fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 14, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have any words on HD6XX vs ATH-R70x? I want to get some high impedance but relatively sensitive headphones as my current amp (Scarlett 6i6), has decent output power but a 10Ω output impedance which makes my low impedance headphones sound a bit crap (actual science on this one apparently). The HD6XX I'd have to get from America, but the R70x I can get locally for around the same price with a much better warranty (due to Australian consumer laws). Most reviews I see compare them to be quite similar, and I am a fan of the AT "house sound" as I've been rocking my AD900x for almost a decade now. I find the AT wing system very comfortable on my huge head, preferable to most band designs. But obviously, the R70x have nowhere near as much hype as the HD6XXs.

I'm keen for as linear as possible, I am trying to get my whole chain to be linear (I want that THX AAA 789 drop to come back up, if the measurements can be independently verified) so that I can use EQ to flavour the sound if I desire. I recently got a pair of ludicrously good speakers (Focal Alpha 80s), so getting some headphones that are close on sound quality would be perfect. My K7XX sound flat and sad compared to my monitors.

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014
Got a question.

What are a set of "earbuds" that have good mic quality? Not necessarily looking for earbuds with great sound. But something that's portable like the Apple earbuds but has an excellent mic for using on videoconferencing, Skype, etc. Something better than the airpods. It's actually really hard to find out because a lot of the articles out there understandably talk about the music output of the earbud itself but I care more about the inline mic.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Bought a pair of these, pretty good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just bought the Massdrop Made O2 amp on a whim.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/51838

It's probably a touch overpriced, but at this point in my life I have too many other projects to spend a day or two worth of free time building my own.
Seems decent, and I can't wait to try it out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Got my Massdrop Sennheiser 58X Jubilee in the mail today.

First thoughts: This might be the only open back you ever need. It was a hundred and fifty buckaroos and doesn't need any modding. Think my HD600s are retiring.

Good sound stage, imaging, nice bass extension and the treble isn't too dark.

Test tracks? Sure whatever, to reach my conclusion I listened to Dan Terminus' Restless Destroyer (fast, overwhelms slow headphones), Scandroid's 2518 (the opening treble hurts on anything too bright, not on these), Robert Parker's End Of The Night and Daft Punk's Lose Yourself To Dance.

Need to emphasise that despite the extended bass response giving you some pleasant rumble these are still not bass cannons. If you're looking for skull crushing, ear punching or a stomach sickening level of sub bass you still want a Fostex biocellular woodie.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zealot4223 posted:

Got a question.

What are a set of "earbuds" that have good mic quality? Not necessarily looking for earbuds with great sound. But something that's portable like the Apple earbuds but has an excellent mic for using on videoconferencing, Skype, etc. Something better than the airpods. It's actually really hard to find out because a lot of the articles out there understandably talk about the music output of the earbud itself but I care more about the inline mic.

I looked for something like this and failed, ended up with on-ears with a boom mic [Plantronics Voyager Focus UC]. Let me know if you find anything.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Bose earbuds generally have pretty good microphones. I wouldn't record someone singing on them or anything, but they're fine for conference calls.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In my experience there's OK mics on some headphones if you're in a quiet room but if you're in an open plan hell office where everyone around you is also on conference calls I only ever had good results with a boom. Dedicated mute button is a killer feature as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Probably not what you are looking for but the Airpods have a drat good mic.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have experience with the beats x? I love my AirPods but the lack of isolation means during my commute I have to choose between not hearing anything and blowing my eardrums out. Sound quality isn’t a dealbreaker.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Virtue posted:

Anyone have experience with the beats x? I love my AirPods but the lack of isolation means during my commute I have to choose between not hearing anything and blowing my eardrums out. Sound quality isn’t a dealbreaker.

Yeah I have both. I really like the Beats X but I wouldn't pay full price for them. I've seen them for as low as $39.99 for some refurbs and you can get them from best buy on the regular for like $60.

They are pretty drat amazing for the price and the quick charge feature has saved me a few times when I forgot to charge them. The default tips aren't really that great but you can get some comply ones that will really isolate things. All in all they sound pretty drat good for the price.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I have both. I really like the Beats X but I wouldn't pay full price for them. I've seen them for as low as $39.99 for some refurbs and you can get them from best buy on the regular for like $60.
Like right now for $62-$70, depending on color.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-geek-squad-certified-refurbished-beatsx-earphones-black/5732542.p?skuId=5732542

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Thanks to both of you. I pulled the trigger on a pair.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Virtue posted:

Thanks to both of you. I pulled the trigger on a pair.

Awesome! I'm sure you will like them.

The only thing I really hate about them is that stupid loving rubber case that they come with. I swear I can never get the loving things in there right so I never use the case.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DancingShade posted:

Got my Massdrop Sennheiser 58X Jubilee in the mail today.

First thoughts: This might be the only open back you ever need. It was a hundred and fifty buckaroos and doesn't need any modding. Think my HD600s are retiring.

Good sound stage, imaging, nice bass extension and the treble isn't too dark.

Test tracks? Sure whatever, to reach my conclusion I listened to Dan Terminus' Restless Destroyer (fast, overwhelms slow headphones), Scandroid's 2518 (the opening treble hurts on anything too bright, not on these), Robert Parker's End Of The Night and Daft Punk's Lose Yourself To Dance.

Need to emphasise that despite the extended bass response giving you some pleasant rumble these are still not bass cannons. If you're looking for skull crushing, ear punching or a stomach sickening level of sub bass you still want a Fostex biocellular woodie.

I have the 58X and TH-X00's and like, I can't see what the gently caress else I could possibly need for full-size home-cans. Goddamnit I love Massdrop. I'll still buy more because I'm an idiot, but these cover most every use case for me at home.

Your quick review is spot of for me, they have what I like about Senn's, but balance out more of what I don't. Bass isn't crazy, but it's definitely more than normal Senns, and I have my other set for that anyway. They're also great with my portable dac/amp (Monolith) walking around the house. I really like them a lot and they were totally an impulse buy.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

There is now a V2 revision of the HiFiMan HE-560, apparently exclusive to Adorama who are selling them for $299:

quote:

• Headband - V2 of this custom model includes the same headband as HiFiman Sundara
• Unique Color - V2 on this custom model comes with a brand new color scheme
• Custom cables - this custom model includes a shorter 6ft cable with 1/4" plug & 6ft 4-pin XLR balanced cable

It seems that the Sundara-style metal handband fixes the issues that the original HE-560 had with plastic yokes that were prone to snapping, and I think these look a lot better in that platinum color than the original ones did with the wood grain.

I was tempted to order this new V2 version because I really liked my original HE-560s other than having to return them because the right earcup fell off after 2-3 weeks.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 18, 2018

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My se215s have been serving me well but I kind of want to upgrade from them. The wrap around cable is nice for keeping them secure but my ears tend to get sore after a while when they're not shaped perfectly.

I'm honestly pretty happy with them apart from the cable issue, unfortunately I can't just change the cables as they just fall out. Anyone have suggestions for where to go? I'm fine spending 100-200€, only IEMs as headphones screw up my hair.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ashex posted:

My se215s have been serving me well but I kind of want to upgrade from them. The wrap around cable is nice for keeping them secure but my ears tend to get sore after a while when they're not shaped perfectly.

I'm honestly pretty happy with them apart from the cable issue, unfortunately I can't just change the cables as they just fall out. Anyone have suggestions for where to go? I'm fine spending 100-200€, only IEMs as headphones screw up my hair.

I have older Shure's (e2c) and the wrap-around cables are terribly uncomfortable for me. However other brands are a lot better, way thinner and more flexible cable. Nuforce are a lot better about it, they have a couple good options on Massdrop (EDC and EDC3) right now that will both definitely be more comfortable than the Shures. If you just want a straight down cable it's honestly harder to find high quality IEMs. Maybe Klipsch x11 or whatever Etymotic looks good to you. Both are small and light with straight down cables, but have durability issues.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I also used to have e2cs and switched to klipsch x series a while back. The cables are really good- they get yanked on because I wear them to help me sleep sometimes and haven’t complained. Get some ear tips that fit to keep em from falling out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ashex posted:

Audiofly AF100 monitors. I've had a pair as my much abused desk IEMs the past year and they're great. Very comfy using the included foam tips and the over the ear hooks are flexible & soft - you don't even notice them.

It's an Australian brand (AF100s are the entry tier of their studio monitors) so I have no idea what your local distribution is like. You can find them here https://audiofly.com/shop/

Yes the cable is attached. No you won't care, it's the best loving cable ever. Zero cable noise.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Nuforce Primo8

Amazing sound quality, great build quality, excellent, replaceable cables. They are much better than the AF100.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions, I did some research and it seems like the Nuforce Primo8 is a good choice, I was kinda wondering how comparable the Jabra Elite Active 65t is?

I really don't have a burning need for wireless earphones but considering how infrequently I upgrade it may be a nice choice.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
So this happened today:

RIP. They served me for ~8 years at work1 and now I'm looking for a replacement pair.

I've looked at Wirecutter reviews and some of the lists on headphone.com and given all the product variations and options it's a bit overwhelming.

Work is often noisy so I appreciate the [broken] headphone's noise cancelling/dampening when officemate(s) are playing music on their speakers or having heated discussions, sometimes across offices2. The walls are thin so closing the door only gets me so far. It's handy when I'm trying to concentrate and since I'm the only programmer/IT among them, I don't expect them to get how much interruption/distractions can affect productivity.
  • Budget - $150 upper limit. $100 is easy but I can go higher if it means a more durable or comfortable pair
  • Source - A pair of 2.1 PC speakers w/ headphone jack. Some Creative speaker set probably older than the dead headphones
  • Isolation Requirements - Yes, please
  • Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, only plan on using them at my desk (no on-the-go)
  • Preferred Tonal Balance - Uhh, not sure? I'm not an audiophile
  • Past Headphones - My old pair1 worked well, turning noise cancelling on and playing music dampened most environmental noise. At home I've used a pair of Logitech G930 for online multiplayer games but I don't use them unless necessary. They're comfortable for short stretches but annoying after several hours
  • Preferred Music - At work; electronic, alternative rock, some pop, acoustic, occasionally classical3

In case it matters, I use a Linux desktop at work and idk how well USB audio devices are supported. Several years ago I tried to use my G930s on Linux and it seemed to crap out after a few minutes or so (desync?). 3.5mm audio jack works fine though

----
[1] Able Planet NC300B Active Noise Canceling Headphones. Apparently I bought them for $70 w/ S&H
[2] They're not the quietest of folk
[3] Does this list help at all?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ashex posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I did some research and it seems like the Nuforce Primo8 is a good choice, I was kinda wondering how comparable the Jabra Elite Active 65t is?

I really don't have a burning need for wireless earphones but considering how infrequently I upgrade it may be a nice choice.

Sound quality wise the Primos will stomp all over them. That's the trade off you get for going wireless.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I had the those Jabra for a few days before returning them. The sound was okay, but the microphone quality was terrible. Occasionally one piece wouldn't connect either, which was annoying. YMMV, of course.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hey thread, I have a better budget now and I am looking for replacements for my true wireless earbuds that don't constantly drop connection at intersections.

Budget - ~300$ (or more! if it solves both problems).
Source - Sony Xperia A1 Ultra.
Isolation Requirements - No opinion.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, I am bike riding and don't want risk of them falling out.
Preferred Tonal Balance - No opinion.
Past Headphones - Thermaltake AD-HDP-PCLXBK-00 True Wireless Bluetooth 4.2 Sports In-Ear Headphone with Anti-Slip Ear Hook
Preferred Music - Weeb poo poo.

I've found that non-true-wireless appear to have annoying and intolerable amounts of lag, particularly between pressing the play button and audio starting, and when playing games where the audio feedback gets so delayed that I am often able to get 3-4 taps ahead of the sound. The pair I list above virtually had no lag, the best explanation the Bureau en gros/Staples people gave me was that True Wireless earbuds have a receiver in both pieces vs having only one.

My current issue is on a bad day (which is 60% of days) when I am bike riding to work, particularly at intersections but it can happen randomly anywhere at anytime, the music/sound just dies and then I get "Connected" and have to hit the play button again, and the sound can drop within *seconds* again of this happening. This is getting to be borderline unacceptable for me.

Indoors 99% of the time I have no issues, very rarely does it happen, and I've never been able to diagnose it as anything other than an outdoor/indoor thing; but some days on the same route it doesn't happen so no idea.

I am looking for something with minimal/not noticable lag, and something that is likely to be very good outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

grack posted:

Sound quality wise the Primos will stomp all over them. That's the trade off you get for going wireless.

Ynglaur posted:

I had the those Jabra for a few days before returning them. The sound was okay, but the microphone quality was terrible. Occasionally one piece wouldn't connect either, which was annoying. YMMV, of course.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll stick with wired!

Ashex fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 26, 2018