Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

trem_two posted:

I think you should strongly consider the Jabra 85t, it very closely fits your list of wants, better than the Sony I think. I've posted about them I this thread. You can also get refurbs directly from Jabra for about $160.

Considering this guy designed these

I think im in good company 💩

Going to check some reviews. I definitely like the cheaper price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Youtube just served me a goddamn six minute ad for Status' ANC headphones, which is probably my own fault with my googling but still incredibly bizarre.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
uBlock Origin, my friend (or Youtube Vanced on mobile)

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I love the Sony WF1000xm4 in all aspects except the most important one: comfort

I'm in the minority I think, but the XM4s cause pain at the bottom-inside of my ear, close to the lobe. They have a little bump in the casing which is supposed to fit the contour of ears but I guess mine aren't the right shape.

So I bought Jabra 85t and they initially felt better (they're smaller) but they have the same basic shape and it starts hurting after about 30 min.

Now I'm waiting on the Sennheiser Momentum 2 and after that I'm out of options. I'm hoping since they're more bullet-shaped, I won't have the same problem.

UE Fit seem like the natural choice but no ANC for $250 isn't worth it to me.

Anyone got any other ideas? I thought about the Bose QuietComforts but I've always thought bose sound was weak.

negativeneil fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 24, 2021

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
My E30 DAC arrived but the L30 amp isn't due to arrive for a week or so. Little E30 buddy is looking cute on my desk so far.

Also that's a shame about the WF-1000XM4s.
I've been waiting ages to buy a set of TWS to replace my over ear WH M3s for stuff like doing chores, bus and train rides, etc.
But maybe I should just grab a cheapo set for listening to podcasts and use my WH M3s for the important ANC situations.

E: I ended up grabbing a used pair of WF-1000XM3s from Amazon Outlet for about half the price of the new model.
I like the look of the new ones more but can't argue with that price. I've had great luck with Amazon Outlet isn the past as well.
Any advice on upgraded tips for these things? I'm sure they are clean enough since it's an Amazon Outlet item but I wouldn't mind getting better tips if there are some available.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 25, 2021

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
If want more or less desktop volume knob that also offers extension to my rear PC inputs do I just get an amp since the other in-line options seem to just be thumb wheels? I've been using the headphone out on my speakers, but it sounds like the left channel on the jack is screwed up. The front audio header works if the machine is at idle, but if I put any load on the GPU whatsoever (including hardware video decode) it passes noise even though I changed the cable run to be next to the 6+2 connector.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Constellation I posted:

uBlock Origin, my friend (or Youtube Vanced on mobile)

Unfortunately youtube has started doing adblock disabling stuff but I've managed to get rid of most of them. It was just bizarre that the one that got through was an impossibly lovely headphone ad.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

negativeneil posted:

Anyone got any other ideas? I thought about the Bose QuietComforts but I've always thought bose sound was weak.

I would just give the QC35s a shot. They're super comfortable for me and actually seem to measure pretty well. IMO the sound is more than good enough. I had similar assumptions about Bose sound but gave in when they were on sale and am very happy with them a few years in. If they broke I'd replace with the same.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Might be a weird one. I'm replacing my phone, and the new one doesn't have a 3.5mm jack or any connection besides Bluetooth for headphones. My headphones aren't exactly nice, but the sound quality is fine and they do well for "just listening to music at work", which is all I care about. The cable is removable with a female 3.5mm socket in the headphones themselves. Is there anything worthwhile I can pick up to swap in and let them connect to my phone via Bluetooth? I imagine it has to power the headphones, too, which is where things were getting a little sketchy on searching; most of what I've been finding is externally-powered transmitters or transmitter/receivers instead of something battery-operated. The few that were were cheap no-name Chinese brands that can't even spell their specs right.

Thoughts?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If your phone has a USB-C connector for charging, you can look into a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter to get the headphone jack back. Otherwise I don't think they make it any more but the Fiio uBTR is a good cheap bluetooth reciever if you can find one that you can just plug your headphones into.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Apple USB-C headphone adapter is cheap and excellent quality if you decide to stick to wired

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter

It follows the standards so it works just fine with Android devices

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The product you were looking for is a bluetooth receiver (your phone will act as the transmitter). Fiio BTR3, BTR5 or a Qudelix 5K are recommended for those. But it'll be overkill and likely more expensive than your current headphones, so not the best fit budget-wise. I'd suggest the USB-C adapter like above.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I remember someone posting a link in here to a nice list with rated headset/earbuds. Everything was rated in several ways(money/performance combination, performance regardless of price, how well they fit) and it was nicely sortable. I tried searching the thread but I'm having a hard time finding it :(. I know my description is vague but I hope someone knows what I mean and could reshare the link.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mindblast posted:

I remember someone posting a link in here to a nice list with rated headset/earbuds. Everything was rated in several ways(money/performance combination, performance regardless of price, how well they fit) and it was nicely sortable. I tried searching the thread but I'm having a hard time finding it :(. I know my description is vague but I hope someone knows what I mean and could reshare the link.

there are a bunch of tier lists out there but you kinda need to know the reviewer's taste.

crinacle has a good list, oluv maintains one i think, few other people.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

there are a bunch of tier lists out there but you kinda need to know the reviewer's taste.

crinacle has a good list, oluv maintains one i think, few other people.

Yeah that's the stuff. Thanks! Bookmarked!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Keep in mind Crins list is half his own taste and half his opinion on actual performance. Chinese ears are NOT the same as western ears and so you must take this into account.

Also I don't agree with half his ratings at least.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
This post has a few lists linked in the OP, as well as some opinions in the thread itself.
I started to feel bad that my headphones are not on any of the lists :ohdear: but I'm still looking forward to hearing them through my new L30 amp hopefully soon.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

redeyes posted:

Chinese ears are NOT the same as western ears

wait, what?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

redeyes posted:

all ears are NOT the same

Fixed that for you.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 28, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pegnose Pete posted:

Fixed that for you.

Crin is Chinese and the iem industry mostly revolves around Chinese tuned IEMs. Fixed that for you. They have different preferences in general in terms of tuning. Also different music mastering styles. Chinese manufactures even offer certain IEMs in 'western tuning'.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
what is "chinese tuning", what does it look like on a graph and how is it different than harman?

e: i'm especially curious about this in regards to crinacle because he tuned the b2d ostensibly to his ideal curve and it's literally just harman with a bass lift

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 28, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what is "chinese tuning", what does it look like on a graph and how is it different than harman?

From what I understand it's mostly characterized by an earlier and less extreme pinna gain compared to Harman or the Etymotic targets.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I think redeyes worded it a bit clunkily so it sounded like an ethnic thing, but it's a real market phenomenon that means a good few IEMs have silent revisions in the Asian markets for taste. The MEST comes to mind.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

redeyes posted:

Crin is Chinese and the iem industry mostly revolves around Chinese tuned IEMs. Fixed that for you. They have different preferences in general in terms of tuning. Also different music mastering styles. Chinese manufactures even offer certain IEMs in 'western tuning'.

If you are referring to some widely accepted preferences or something, fair enough. I withdraw my snarky comment. I'm having kind of a rough day so I apologize.
I interpreted your comment as meaning there were some racial physiological differences, which is a slippery slope especially in TYOOL 2021.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 28, 2021

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for some budget headphones for my dad, who is turning 75. I was originally considering the Koss KPH30i, but I read they are pretty flimsy. My dad has shaky hands and I worry he might accidentally break something too fragile. I also considered the Superlux HD-681 Evo but it seems not easily available (it ships from the UK?).

I think I want to go with over-ear but I would do on-ear if they are the right set. I definitely do not want in-ear or earbuds. Any recommendations for under $50? Source would be an iPhone playing Spotify. He listens to the blues, classic folk rock, and jazz.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BurritoJustice posted:

I think redeyes worded it a bit clunkily so it sounded like an ethnic thing, but it's a real market phenomenon that means a good few IEMs have silent revisions in the Asian markets for taste. The MEST comes to mind.

I can't find any information on a MEST revision, can you show me a graph with the differences?

I'm still extremely suspicious of this whole line of reasoning, I've yet to see actual evidence of it. I'm not saying it's impossible that there are eastern and western tuning preferences, but the "history" of it also seems to line up with the entire industry shift from diffuse field to harman.

e: like, again, you can just look up crinacle's tuning preference, he literally calls it "ief neutral" and it's pretty much harman with mids

e2: seriously, I'm googling around for this phenomenon and there are multiple articles talking about how chinese music was mastered in the 90s or some poo poo, but absolutely zero people can explain A: what actual music they're referring to so I can actually listen to it, or B: what the "chinese tuning" actually consists of.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 28, 2021

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I can't find any information on a MEST revision, can you show me a graph with the differences?

I'm still extremely suspicious of this whole line of reasoning, I've yet to see actual evidence of it. I'm not saying it's impossible that there are eastern and western tuning preferences, but the "history" of it also seems to line up with the entire industry shift from diffuse field to harman.

e: like, again, you can just look up crinacle's tuning preference, he literally calls it "ief neutral" and it's pretty much harman with mids

e2: seriously, I'm googling around for this phenomenon and there are multiple articles talking about how chinese music was mastered in the 90s or some poo poo, but absolutely zero people can explain A: what actual music they're referring to so I can actually listen to it, or B: what the "chinese tuning" actually consists of.

For the MEST thing you can search for "HK version" or "HK+", which was sold through retailer Jaben Hong Kong.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

From what I understand it's mostly characterized by an earlier and less extreme pinna gain compared to Harman or the Etymotic targets.

Yeah this is bang on! At least this is my impression from trying a bunch of higher end stuff.

quote:

If you are referring to some widely accepted preferences or something, fair enough. I withdraw my snarky comment. I'm having kind of a rough day so I apologize.
I interpreted your comment as meaning there were some racial physiological differences, which is a slippery slope especially in TYOOL 2021.

Yeah I get that. I worded it stupidly.

quote:

I don't think Crins target graph is actually the IEF Neutral. You can take for example the Blessing 2 and Blessing 2 Dusk which was crins retuned Dusk. Now crin is definitely more basshead than other reviewers, so he usually increases the bass, dips the 2.5k peak and flattens it out somewhat, and also generally boosts the 5-6k up a bit. Also I've chatted a lot with major chifi reviewers. We have a battle which revolves around DF ety tuning. Almost all renowned high end chifi sets have flattened pinna gain.... and I HATE that. I like my pinna gain plentiful and around 10db centered from 2.5 to 2.8k. A 3K peak is a bit V shaped for my ears. For me I want the vocals to pop above the mix as intended.. other reviewers like a more flat tonality where the instrumentals and vocals exist within the same energy range.

Maybe this helps to understand this a bit. For me the Softears RSV with a 2.75k Pinna peak and 10db rise from 1k is absolutely perfect and sounds like real life to me. In other words it has nearly my exact head related transfer function. I'd guess I land somewhere between Harman and DF actually.

We can see here, the bass rise, moving the pinna peak from 2.6 to 3ishk and dropping by a few db.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 28, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for some budget headphones for my dad, who is turning 75. I was originally considering the Koss KPH30i, but I read they are pretty flimsy. My dad has shaky hands and I worry he might accidentally break something too fragile. I also considered the Superlux HD-681 Evo but it seems not easily available (it ships from the UK?).

I think I want to go with over-ear but I would do on-ear if they are the right set. I definitely do not want in-ear or earbuds. Any recommendations for under $50? Source would be an iPhone playing Spotify. He listens to the blues, classic folk rock, and jazz.

The AKG K92s are a pair I have and really like, if they’re too expensive where you are (they’re usually under £40 in the UK) the K52s and K72s are supposedly also pretty decent.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

njsykora posted:

The AKG K92s are a pair I have and really like, if they’re too expensive where you are (they’re usually under £40 in the UK) the K52s and K72s are supposedly also pretty decent.

Thanks. I show them to be $60 USD everywhere I look. Maybe I'll find a good sale.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'll mention the status audio cb-1 again, they're the best sounding and most comfortable closed backs under 100 i've found. only downside is they're not exactly good looking.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Budget - 70-150$ Canadian
Source - PC
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, open back, circumaural? I don't need isolation, just something that will be comfortable to wear for hours / doesn't feel like it's clamping my head.
Past Headphones - Phillips SHP9500S (see below) Audio Technica AD700 (cord got chewed up) - both of these had the ideal style/comfort I want.
Other: Replaceable cord

I've had the Phillips SHP9500S for a few years now and they do the job well, but recently i've been having issues where Im getting static & audio loss from what seems like a bad connection. I tried getting a new cord, but I think there's just something going on with the jack on the headphone side, (it seems like it will get a bit better if I unplug and replug, but will get kinda funny over time) and I haven't the faintest idea how I could fix it, and I might just need to replace? While I'm tempted to just order a replacement pair, I must have gotten my first pair on sale (70$) or they're no longer made because they're going for a decent bit more now, so I'm unsure if I maybe have better options for less or similar.

Also, would be interested if there's wireless/bluetooth options that are circumaural/openback or otherwise match the comfort factors of my past headphones, even if they go out of my price range.

Want to try on this again; still struggling to find the 9500S at a good price if available at all, and the 9600 seems not to be available in canada or is also priced very poorly. I can maybe make do without a replaceable cord, but it's a very nice feature to have if someone has something that fits the bill otherwise on the low end of my price range?

Sennheiser 560S was recommended to me earlier, but that looks to be 260$ Canadian (about 209$ US) which I'm not sure if it's worth that or not?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Before you go and replace them, get a can of Deoxit. Spray a little in the jack, then insert and remove the plug a bunch of times. Should do the trick if it's not actually broken, and honestly most people should have a can of deoxit, it rules for all sorts of things. Takes care of crackly volume pots, dirty ports, flux residue and general electronic gunk. It's WD-40 for gadgets.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I think I need to replace my AKG 701 pads. I noticed my ears are touching the drivers, the left side moreso, and it's pretty uncomfortable.
Reading about how pads will change the sound has me paranoid though.
In my region I can get Geekria pads for cheap, or spend a bit more on the Dekoni elite. The Dekoni seem to increase the bass which might not be bad for the AKG sound, as long as detail loss is negligible. Due to pricing I'd probably grab the elite velour for 38$ or the sheepskin for 51. Hybrid and fenestrated sheepskin are much more expensive in my region.
Any thoughts?

Also I'm thinking of grabbing the Sundaras in a few months. They are about 370$ here but I have about 60$ in points I can use, and if the current promotion continues I'd get about 50$ in points back after purchase, which makes them significantly cheaper. I'm curious to try planar and want something that's different from my AKGs.
I could be safe and import HD6XX too but I don't think that would be much of an upgrade over my AKGs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'll mention the status audio cb-1 again, they're the best sounding and most comfortable closed backs under 100 i've found. only downside is they're not exactly good looking.

Yeah they are fugly but so drat comfortable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a thread suggestion for some behind the ear headphones? I may want to use them while working out, so over-the-ear ends up being too heavy and dealing with a cord too cumbersome, and I do not like airpod-style earbuds because my earcanal is very small, so they don't stay in my ear, so in-ear is fine if there's a band or tight fit on wrapping around the ears. Bluetooth required.

Budget is pretty low on this, I'd just be using it to watch youtubes, and listen to audiobooks, and maybe some music. I guess I could just get whatever from walmart but was trying to see if there was something better (my walmart ones broke/lost the rubber ear piece, and some other cheap ones keep desyncing)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Moondrop Variations: Disgustingly good. Could cost $1600 and no one would bat an eye. Tribrid with 1DD 2BA 2EST. Highly recommended if the bore size isn't too thick for a person.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Moondrop Variations: Disgustingly good. Could cost $1600 and no one would bat an eye. Tribrid with 1DD 2BA 2EST. Highly recommended if the bore size isn't too thick for a person.

I've been eyeing up tribids in that price range, can't decide between that one, the new Shuoer, maybe one of the Thieaudio models. Kind of leaning towards the Moondrop though because of the modular cable, and also I can buy it from somewhere in the US and it'll get here faster (and probably will be less of a hassle in case I'd ever need to deal with a return). Was a bit worried about the amount of bass, based on the graph.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

I've been eyeing up tribids in that price range, can't decide between that one, the new Shuoer, maybe one of the Thieaudio models. Kind of leaning towards the Moondrop though because of the modular cable, and also I can buy it from somewhere in the US and it'll get here faster (and probably will be less of a hassle in case I'd ever need to deal with a return). Was a bit worried about the amount of bass, based on the graph.

Get the Moondrop imo. The new Shuoer EJ07m isn't tuned as well .. from the graph. Also though, I own 3x EJ07 and Im not really into their new tuning (more trebles). The new Thieaudios are very good but TOTL tuned and that means not forgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Why do you have 3 EJ07s?