Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Here's kind of a specific question.

I need wireless in-ear headphones for running, but I think I want a wire between the headphones. My experience is that all in-ear headphones fall out of my ears.

I used to use these wired headphones and they were perfect! But with a modern iPhone, wireless is the way to go; wired phones don't stay in well enough.

I ran with a pair of Anker Soundcore Spirits for a year, which were fine. They came out of my ears every once in awhile, but usually stayed in. I lost them, but if they still were being made I'd probably just buy a new pair.

I recently bought a pair of Cleer Goals, but they constantly fall out of my ears no matter what size attachment I put on them, so I'm going to return them.

So my conditions are: Bluetooth. Wireless, but with a wire between both sides of the headphones. In theory, I'd prefer a better sound, especially for books-on-tape, but in practice I don't really care: I'll be running, so I expect sound quality to be mediocre to bad anyway. I've heard some headphones have features where they either let noise in from the outside world, or can replay sound that they hear on a mic, to help listeners still be aware of the world while running (or even walking); if this actually works, it's definitely something I want. And finally, the drat things should stay in my ears!

Anybody have ideas or suggestions? I don't really have much of a price range: my hope is that something like this can be had at around $50, but honestly I'd pay up to $200 for a pair that really did all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Koss appears to make a wireless version of those that you liked with a wire between em: https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Bluetoo...ctronics&sr=1-6

I had these Ankers before moving to AirPod Pros and they seemed fine (I am not a runner though so YMMV): https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-S...27337081&sr=8-5

If you wanna fancy up a little beats does have a set with the ear holdy things and a wire between: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbeats-H...165&sr=8-7&th=1

And then aftershokz are bone conduction sets that people who really want to hear the surrounding environment while exercising sometimes like. The sound quality is not great though and they're more of a specialized thing: https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-C...27337271&sr=8-3

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

nrook posted:

Here's kind of a specific question.

I need wireless in-ear headphones for running, but I think I want a wire between the headphones. My experience is that all in-ear headphones fall out of my ears

I use Plantronics Backbeat Fits for this same purpose and I've been happy with them. This is the current model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTTPVGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_2V0YH387EKCD1X0SXFEB

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They're great for that purpose until they inevitably stop working after a couple years but are cheap enough that who cares? I use them when biking.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Backbeats are my all-time favorite lawn mowing phones. I bought 3 pairs when they were cheap on Groupon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

powderific posted:

If you wanna fancy up a little beats does have a set with the ear holdy things and a wire between: https://www.amazon.com/Powerbeats-H...165&sr=8-7&th=1

I have the cheaper version of these, the Beats Flex and they've been rock solid whatever I'm doing (probably helped by them coming with double flanges) and sound pretty good so I'd consider them a good cheaper option if you do want some Apple buds.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got the Blon 03s for gf for valentines day this year. She just pulled the cord out of one side (not where its sposed to detatch, just short of the connector). I'm honestly flabbergasted at the prices of replacement cables on amazon. What should I be looking for? This is not for an audiophile, just someone who listens to bad podcasts all day

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Any qdc to 3.5mm should do, you shouldn't have to spend more than like 15 bux.

like this (just an example, not an endorsement)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Any qdc to 3.5mm should do, you shouldn't have to spend more than like 15 bux.

like this (just an example, not an endorsement)

I don't think an actual QDC connector will work, unless you file down the edges of the connector on the headphones. The BLON is a TFZ/NX7 style connector, which is a bit bigger than a QDC.

A regular straight pin .78mm cable will work, it'll stick out further than a TFZ/NX7, but this one should work

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
well hot poo poo, you're right. i have a qdc cable and some blons right in front of me and they do not, in fact, want to mate.

thanks for the heads up. it sure as heck looks like qdc. how weird!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats fuckin great anyway as those ones are cheap af on amazon.COM but on amazon.:canada: they are 36.99 gently caress me right off

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
there's always the aliexpress slow boat from china :/

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Thats fuckin great anyway as those ones are cheap af on amazon.COM but on amazon.:canada: they are 36.99 gently caress me right off

I just looked at amazon.ca and :wtc: is with these cable prices. Cables I've bought on amazon US for around $20 are like $100 on the CA site.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

there's always the aliexpress slow boat from china :/

Yep that's exactly what I was going to say next. They'll be cheap as gently caress and probably the exact same thing (or maybe even nicer) than the ones you'd get on Amazon, but they sure take a long time to arrive.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Last cable I ordered from aliexpress arrived within 10 days FWIW.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm...yeah, I'm not married to wired, it's just that the lag is kind of a deal-breaker for online multiplayer games and such. I think I'm actually using a dongle for my Philips, but the lag is still noticeable. Does it depend on the dongle? How much worse will my sound quality be if I use a cable instead (as per njsykora)?

I might splurge a little, the Sony WH-1000XM4 seems to have good reviews as far as noise cancelling goes.

This might be late but I don't believe the XM4s bring anything noteworthy to the table vs. XM3s? Well, at least not for the added 100€+ price tag here. The most noteworthy feature is an optional feature that disables ANC temporarily when you speak instead of holding your hand over the right cup allowing you to have a conversation with someone in the same room. I don't believe there was meaningful difference between ANC either? But I'd refer to ANC comparison videos/reviews to be sure. They do also come with their own attachable wire. Me and dad bought one for my mum and I tested them casually and I think I preferred them over my DT770s, though I might just be dumb.

Just remember to power them on even in wired mode and even if you don't plan to use ANC because they sound like garbage unpowered.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Too late! I already got them and I'm setting them up right now.

One thing I'm not sure about, and bear with me here...how do I know if I'm using them in wired mode? I have it connected via cable, but to have it show up in the first place, I have to to connect through Bluetooth. When I look at people speak on YouTube, I see some slight lag, which is making me think it's not doing the wired thing.

e: but when I start playing songs I don't really see any lag so maybe I'm just being paranoid

e2: actually seems about right now, maybe it was just the guy on YT I was watching that was desynced to begin with

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 28, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I decided I only live once so I ordered a Shuoer EJ07 in full custom. Im getting laser ear scans as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm going to get the cable from aliexpress but I'm still a bit confused as to all the different standards. As long as its .78mm 2 pin should I be good? Because a lot of the titles are saying compatible with x/y/z and none of them say Blon

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

codo27 posted:

I'm going to get the cable from aliexpress but I'm still a bit confused as to all the different standards. As long as its .78mm 2 pin should I be good? Because a lot of the titles are saying compatible with x/y/z and none of them say Blon

Blon isn't the kind of brand that gets named, the connector is standardized though.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

An NX7/TFZ style 0.78mm connector will fit exactly like the stock cable. You could order one of those from NiceHCK store, which makes nice/cheap cables. Or a standard 2 pin cable will also work, but will kind of line up "end to end" with the connector on the IEM, but won't slide around the IEM's connector the way the stock cable style does.

Regular 2 pin:

NX7/TFZ style:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I decided I only live once so I ordered a Shuoer EJ07 in full custom. Im getting laser ear scans as well.

I'll be curious to see if it fixes the resonance deal you described in your video review

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

I'll be curious to see if it fixes the resonance deal you described in your video review

Im getting my 07M retuned as an OG 07. It's just some dampers and a different xover. I prefer the OG. The OG has long tips and works perfectly. This will be even better as it is fully custom

[edit] to be clear, the 07m is DISGUSTING with the tanchjim dampers. It's better than nearly anything else ive ever heard and that includes 2500 bux sets.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 31, 2021

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Dessel posted:

This might be late but I don't believe the XM4s bring anything noteworthy to the table vs. XM3s? Well, at least not for the added 100€+ price tag here. The most noteworthy feature is an optional feature that disables ANC temporarily when you speak instead of holding your hand over the right cup allowing you to have a conversation with someone in the same room. I don't believe there was meaningful difference between ANC either? But I'd refer to ANC comparison videos/reviews to be sure. They do also come with their own attachable wire. Me and dad bought one for my mum and I tested them casually and I think I preferred them over my DT770s, though I might just be dumb.

Just remember to power them on even in wired mode and even if you don't plan to use ANC because they sound like garbage unpowered.

Two things I've noticed with the XM4

1) Multi point connections. Pretty nice to able to switch between my TV and my phone pretty quickly.

2) Take the headphone off pauses what you listening or watch. This is hella nice when are laying on a couch or bed watching or listening to music.

Both are more of convenience things. But I like having them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Can you also have it connected to your PC and TV, or do you start having problems when it's no longer connected to your phone?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Are the resource in the OP still good when comes to looking up what to buy. Wanting to get a good set of earphones but no nothing about them ATM.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

side_burned posted:

Are the resource in the OP still good when comes to looking up what to buy. Wanting to get a good set of earphones but no nothing about them ATM.

The lists at the bottom are from seven years ago. Quite a bit has changed.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's been a couple good purchasing conversations in the last few pages, if they aren't what you are looking for, they'll be good template for framing your needs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

I can never tell them apart - Oracle?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
either that or clairvoyance?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Monarch. Found a seller that had stock in Canada for cheaper than I would pay from China.

Need to switch the cable, though. It's good quality, but it's 2.5MM balanced with a 3.5MM SE adapter which is pretty clunky to use.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rakeris posted:

Glad you like them! If you want to check out some "engineered" EQ presets check out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory199...tm_source=share

from previous page but thanks for posting this. i ended up thinking his 990 eq profile sounded kinda flat, but it did teach me how to install apo+peace and find something that worked for me

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I have until Sunday to decide if I want to keep Sennheiser 880S's or return them to the store. They were an outlet item as this pair is a customer return but 1200 EUR could also be used to camera glass or pc parts.

They sound pretty sweet though, coming from 650's.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

My HyperX QuadCast microphone is interfering with my Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones, which disconnects whenever I talk into my mic. I assume since it's because they're both on Bluetooth and right next to each other.

Suggestions? Everything sounds like rear end using my headphones with a cable, and my mic seems to need Bluetooth to even show up in the device manager.

e: never mind, seems to have been a headphones setting

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 5, 2021

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit
Need new in-ear earphones. I had a Sony XBA-1 forever, probably 8 years, and had no issues (except the cord was pretty noisy), but then one bud got torn off and flung God-knows-where in a bike crash.

Budget: $200-ish

Prefer wired.

Prefer a relatively balanced sound as opposed to bass-heavy.

A volume control on the cord like the XBA-1 had would be nice.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Sony WF-1000XM4 or whatever it is are the gold standard, theres another Bose set that apparently competes but Klipsch is refreshing their T5 true wireless line and its sposed to include controls via head gestures. Dunno how thats gonna work. In USD they all should come in a lil over 200 I think? But thats all wireless

Danger Dog
Sep 19, 2011

by Hand Knit
I mean, I can live with wireless, but I'm worried about (1) losing one or both and (2) the battery pooping out after a couple years, when my last set of earphones lasted me 8.

Also deeply skeptical of this 'Alexa built-in' poo poo

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Danger Dog posted:

I mean, I can live with wireless, but I'm worried about (1) losing one or both and (2) the battery pooping out after a couple years, when my last set of earphones lasted me 8.

Also deeply skeptical of this 'Alexa built-in' poo poo

Etymotic ER2XR if you want/need a lot of isolation, KBEar Neon if you don't. Both have flat-ish signatures and replaceable cables.

The Etymotic is a better set from an audio quality perspective, but super high isolation may not be desirable when biking

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Danger Dog posted:

Need new in-ear earphones. I had a Sony XBA-1 forever, probably 8 years, and had no issues (except the cord was pretty noisy), but then one bud got torn off and flung God-knows-where in a bike crash.

Budget: $200-ish

Prefer wired.

Prefer a relatively balanced sound as opposed to bass-heavy.

A volume control on the cord like the XBA-1 had would be nice.

With the caveat that I haven’t heard this particular set, but I own one of their older models that have similar tuning, take a look at Moondrop Aria. Well under your budget, and is considered a leader in the general price range. You’d need to add a 3rd party cable for volume control, I have one from NiceHCK on aliexpress for like $20 that has served me well for my daily driver headphones I use for video meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My fancy 16 Core 7N Single Crystal Copper cable for my Monarch came in today. It definitely improves the emotional resonance of the soundstage or some such poo poo.