Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm surprised they're releasing an estat without an energizer. I guess they're just gonna stick a stax plug on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Oh, huh, they seem to be swinging for the fences, looking forward to seeing what people think of each of the models.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Moondrop own their own factory, which is a big reason why their stuff is often so much cheaper than other companies for the level of performance they usually have. It's gonna be really interesting to see how the Void turns out especially because if that's able to trade with something like the HD600 it'd be really cool.

In other news, 7hz royally hosed up the Dioko according to Super Review's measurements. Crinacle posted on Youtube community that they ordered the wrong tuning filters for the actual production run and somehow no-one noticed until a few hundred had already gone out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually more interested in the Moondrop dynamic headphones. The look light and comfy.

^^ whoops. Well I hope they can fix that somehow.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Apparently they’re sending out the right filters to the people who’ve already had their units sent. It’s easy to read this as “fix it yourself lol” but it’s also probably the least pain in the rear end way of doing it.
https://twitter.com/crinacle/status/1543098254430068736

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's probably the best solution overall for simplicity's sake. Anyone who is buying IEMs from that particular distribution channel is probably comfortable figuring out how to swap filters.

Hopefully a one-off. Glad I didn't preorder! (no need with my Rapto-go Hook-X Weird-O hybrids, which cost a bit more but are great fun)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

why on earth is a reviewer working with a manufacturer on a product

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mr. Mercury posted:

He's done quite a lot of collabs at this point and I don't really have an issue with it as long as he's not reviewing them. He doesn't rank them on his website.

What's the issue you have with it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mr. Mercury posted:

Crinacle has done multiple collabs with manufacturers (Fearless Audio Dawn, Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk, Fiio FHE Eclipse, SeeAudio Yume Midnight and the now disowned KZ CRN) where he assists with tuning and in some cases part selection. He doesn't review them, explicitly says the one video he makes about them is an ad and they don't show up on the ranking list. Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews (HBB) does the same, mostly with Tripowin recently. He was the one behind the Mele.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing with the planar drivers in the Timeless and S12. They are all likely from the same company, small differences. I can say that:

1. Dampers are a poor way to tune these drivers
2. The shell matters drastically
3. They all have a near 10db 8k peak which SUCKS

I found Timeless had odd treble, quite unnatural. S12 has way too much 8K peak and not enough bass, too bright as well.

The solution to getting a top of the line performance is to use PEQ and it can be amazing as hell.

Far as collabs, HBB has his toe in a bunch, same with Crin. I tried, no one gives a poo poo which isn't surprising. I did send a Shuoer EJ07m (which I re-tuned) to a headphone show in California and rep got to hear and gave it a good recommendation to the boss which might do a tiny run.. probably not though.

I got to hear the Fearless Dawn, it was VERY good. Not the dusk though. The KZ was pure poo poo, i threw it in the trash. The copy of Mele I got was dull, prolly bugged.

I did work with HBB on the Olina, I sourced the drivers(Tanchjim Oxygen) and tuned them for 4-5 months before me and HBB picked a final tuning... AND then tripowin hosed it all up and just put some random damper on the thing. It was always supposed to have an actual Oxygen damper. Very sad. It is an easy fix to turn a 100 bux iem into a 275 one though.

[edit] I make nothing on any of this, its just I have a passion for audio

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 4, 2022

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

None of that is okay if you're covering other products.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I never got the impression they are shilling their own iems.. but I don't care much.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Mercury posted:

I respectfully disagree entirely.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mr. Mercury posted:

Crinacle worked with Fiio on the FHE and less than 3 months later said the FH9 was overpriced. I don't think it affects his reviews too much.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One of my favorite recent Crin videos is when he was invited to the Razer HQ for a full tour then he slammed all 3 of the headphones they sent him.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DancingShade posted:

One of my favorite recent Crin videos is when he was invited to the Razer HQ for a full tour then he slammed all 3 of the headphones they sent him.

4 of them! He also said in his under $100 video there's always something better you can get for the price of any KZ.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

DancingShade posted:

I respectfully disagree entirely.

It is a conflict of interest. Whether you care about that is up to you, but objectively it isn't something serious coverage allows. This isn't really an "agree or disagree" thing, but more of a "differing professional standards" bit between bloggers and journos.

Unlike bloggers, journalists cannot cover a product category while also having a stake (financial or otherwise) in a company's success within said category. If you cover a market for a newspaper and you own stock in Company A, not disclosing that fact when you cover their latest release will get you in trouble for fairly obvious reasons. It's worth thinking about the next time you give someone a pass for behavior that would get someone at a larger outlet canned.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It's about ethics in ethics in video game headphone journalism

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Very insightful, thanks

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Mercury posted:

It is a conflict of interest. Whether you care about that is up to you, but objectively it isn't something serious coverage allows. This isn't really an "agree or disagree" thing, but more of a "differing professional standards" bit between bloggers and journos.

Unlike bloggers, journalists cannot cover a product category while also having a stake (financial or otherwise) in a company's success within said category. If you cover a market for a newspaper and you own stock in Company A, not disclosing that fact when you cover their latest release will get you in trouble for fairly obvious reasons. It's worth thinking about the next time you give someone a pass for behavior that would get someone at a larger outlet canned.

Believe whatever you like and good luck imposing whatever you believe in on the world.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mr. Mercury posted:

You're completely right, it's bizarre. You can't tune IEMs, put your name on them, take a cut of the profit and still call yourself an objective source.

There are still "objective" reviewers but Crinacle isn't one and HBB never was. I still enjoy their reviews though, I just take them with an even bigger grain of salt than usual. I still consider their opinions but they're hobbyists, not journalists.

DancingShade posted:

Believe whatever you like and good luck imposing whatever you believe in on the world.

this is a fuckin weird rear end take

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Objective reviews are a stupid idea in its base concept. Everyone brings their own tastes and biases to a review, it’s why any good reviewer will remind you to seek out multiple reviews and never take any one as a gospel truth.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

Objective reviews are a stupid idea in its base concept. Everyone brings their own tastes and biases to a review, it’s why any good reviewer will remind you to seek out multiple reviews and never take any one as a gospel truth.

No, they're not. Conflict of interest rules exist for a reason. There's a difference between bringing your own taste and bias and having a financial incentive to call something good or bad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And everyone in the tech review space who uses affiliate links has that incentive. Crinacle even did a whole video on that subject.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

And everyone in the tech review space who uses affiliate links has that incentive. Crinacle even did a whole video on that subject.

Cool, that doesn't make it okay and I don't understand why you're defending the practice. I don't understand why people are so quick to rush to defend crinacle for this anyway. I don't have a problem with his collabs, they seem to be good products, he's just no longer able to be any sort of objective review source as a result. Which is fine, it's all entertainment anyway and there are plenty of other reviewers.

You don't have to care one way or another, but denying the reality of the situation is weird.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

njsykora posted:

Ehh, I used to think that but the way those work is completely user-driven. It's not like an ad or native placement where you are subjected to something against your wishes, you elect to click the button and then the site gets a percentage if you don't return the product. While it's 100% a valid criticism that it's possible the coverage you're reading is tilted to be a little more kid-gloves than people need, there is a slightly bigger incentive to get people to something they're happy with than just gross sales. Those sites also are mandated by law to have a disclosure and an explanation of that relationship somewhere on the site (usually it's a disclosure at the top of the homepage or something).

While they're not great, they're not exactly as bad as they've been catching poo poo for recently, and certainly nowhere even close to as problematic as the above things discussed are. Hell, better than walls of ads too. I get the feeling that it's tough to make a living doing this, and being the guy that attacks other sites/methods is probably a good way to capture interest.

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 5, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I just don't see the problem, he collabs on a product that he never reviews, makes fully available to every other reviewer and never mentions past the initial release aside from the sidebar ads on his website. Also he's demonstrated multiple times that he has no issue slating a company's products even after working with them. It's less of a conflict of interest than Resolve working for a major headphone retailer, or DMS working for a major headphone manufacturer, or IGN owning a major videogame store.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, they're not. Conflict of interest rules exist for a reason. There's a difference between bringing your own taste and bias and having a financial incentive to call something good or bad.

they’re posting tech reviews on youtube while developing tech, not reporting on the supreme court for a nationally published newspaper or nightly cable news program while being married to a judge

like, there’s different standards for different mediums, man

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

njsykora posted:

I just don't see the problem, he collabs on a product that he never reviews, makes fully available to every other reviewer and never mentions past the initial release aside from the sidebar ads on his website. Also he's demonstrated multiple times that he has no issue slating a company's products even after working with them. It's less of a conflict of interest than Resolve working for a major headphone retailer, or DMS working for a major headphone manufacturer, or IGN owning a major videogame store.

Soul Glo posted:

they’re posting tech reviews on youtube while developing tech, not reporting on the supreme court for a nationally published newspaper or nightly cable news program while being married to a judge
like, there’s different standards for different mediums, man

"this thing isn't bad because other things are also bad" is not a good argument and you guys should stop making it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

"this thing isn't bad because other things are also bad" is not a good argument and you guys should stop making it.

going through life without being able to apply context to anything at all is way to live, i guess

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Soul Glo posted:

going through life without being able to apply context to anything at all is way to live, i guess

???

Like I said before, you don't have to care one way or another, and I still like crin and enjoy his content. But he's got conflicting financial incentives now. That's all. Are you arguing he doesn't?

You're entirely free to not care. I barely care. But it's super weird to literally pretend it's not a thing that's happening and that it doesn't affect the content.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I don't think you disagree as much as you think you do? Read his first posts on the matter

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 5, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

yeah, maybe i’m misreading. seems people care very much about headphone man on youtube making headphones when i don’t think it’s a big deal at all.

i don’t even care about headphone man, i mostly follow other kinds of tech online. this happens pretty regularly where people who cover new tech, or even review them, contribute to the product space, like RocketJumpNinja doing pre-reviews and suggesting improvements to various manufacturers’ products for years before finally actually collaborating with xtryfy on one of his own.

happens pretty regularly in the keyboard space too if i’m not mistaken.

my base point is youtube reviewers themselves aren’t beholden to journalistic standards, and don’t have to be, and ultimately it doesn’t matter because people should know going in that self-published reviews are only beholden to that self-publisher’s standards.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Hey it happens, all good

And yeah, the keyboard space is even messier haha

There are a few of there that hold themselves to those standards, but not in the enthusiast space; mainly mass-market stuff

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Redeyes, can I ask you what the most positively notable IEMs and headphones have been for you overall? You can DM me if you prefer!

I'm off to CanJam at the end of the month and excited to try a whole bunch of headphones in my search for end-game closed backs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

frytechnician posted:

Redeyes, can I ask you what the most positively notable IEMs and headphones have been for you overall? You can DM me if you prefer!

I'm off to CanJam at the end of the month and excited to try a whole bunch of headphones in my search for end-game closed backs.

Hey! I can't DM. Keep in mind I hate hype treble IEMs, I run a small mixing studio and I want my stuff reference.

Most notable IEMs:

-Softears RSV, 5BA, sounds like an incredible 1 Dynamic Driver set for lack of a better word. It plays every genre I love, Metal, RnB, Vaporwave, Reggae, Classical, Jazz, and more. Expensive and highly worth it

-Letshuoer EJ07, tribrid, Quad EST, 2 Sonion BA, 1 10mm CNT. This is basically the best Etymotic they never made. Just a bit more treble detail but muuuch wider stage and super 3D for myself. I ADORE this iem.

-Tripowin Olina, with correct damper. 100 bux for a 300-400 bux performance.. but have to get a Tanchjim Tanya damper

-Tanchjim Oxygen, drat fine 1DD IEM, spendy but great

-MiM Dark Magician, 1DD, unfortunately they retuned it and it's not for sale anymore, the retuned one sucks :(

-Oriolus Isabellae, 1DD, super nice tuning, hair bass light but one of the best DDs I've heard. Spendy as heck.

-Sony Z1R, everyone knows about it, but do you have the ears to deep fit it because it sounds like poo poo without a deep fit. It's a drat fine IEM.

-Unique Melody MEST, the OG stupid detailed and yet not badly tuned quadbrid. Boner conduction, BA, EST, and DD. Woo boy. I would have kept it but price was too high and I prefer reference.

I actually sold everything else I own, mostly just playing around re-tuning IEMs that are close to being great but not totally there. I did Moondrop Variations (nice iem, TONS of EST energy), and the Letshuoer S12 via PEQ.

Honorable Mentions that I don't own:

Dunu SA6, decent reference style IEM
Sony 800ST, EX1000, old school and awesome
Moondrop A8 and S8, nice iems, with a bit of BA timbre up top

Stupid spendy awesome iems I won't own:
64 Audio stuff, all has been very good and I really like the fit for my own personal ears
Softears Cerberus, super interesting but older IEM, one of the first tribrids and has a passive BA for better bass resonance

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

What's a decent all rounder headset these days for pc? I'm no audiophile, I'm happy with the jabra 75ts I got for Bluetooth on my phone but looking for something of similar quality for my pc with reasonable mic on it

Preferably reasonably available in Sweden.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

What’s a good recommendation for a not-cheap-not-expensive 200ish dollar range set of Bluetooth headphones?

I mean cheaper is fine too, I have no idea what the dollar/quality sweet spot is for this kinda thing.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GruntyThrst posted:

What’s a good recommendation for a not-cheap-not-expensive 200ish dollar range set of Bluetooth headphones?

I mean cheaper is fine too, I have no idea what the dollar/quality sweet spot is for this kinda thing.

Really needs what you're using them for, and the devices you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Fair point- pretty much general media consumption. Movies, music, and games on my iPhone and iPad. The Switch as well. Phone calls are a distant secondary importance, more a nice to have than a need to have. Noose cancelation would be nice but I doubt anything worth the name will be in that price range.

Long term comfort is the main goal, I have some Jabra elite 75t earbuds that are useful for their intended roles (easy to carry, water resistant for working out etc) but they aren’t especially comfortable. I’ve never found earbuds that fit well.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 7, 2022