Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

My motherboard output was noticeably noisy and I replaced it with a cheap Behringer UCA202 and it has no problems driving either my DT-770 80 or my DT-990 250 headphones and I have zero complaints and am glad I was not convinced to spend $200 on a ridiculously named "stack".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Ehud posted:

Budget - $150
Source - MSI GS70 gaming laptop.
Isolation Requirements - No isolation requirements.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full size. I have a blue snowball microphone already, so I do not need a headset with a mic. Just headphones.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'm not incredibly picky. I'm looking for something balanced that I can use for gaming and music. I play Overwatch and like to listen to music as I play. I also play PUBG and audio (footsteps, distant gunshots) is really important in that game.
Past Headphones - I'm using my PS4 gold headset on my laptop right now and they get uncomfortable after a while. They're pretty terrible for music as well.
Preferred Music - Pretty wide variety, but mostly indie rock, metal/hardcore and rap.

I'm a big fan of the Beyerdynamic DT-990 which sound great to be and are really comfortable even with extended wear due to the really nice earpads and ventilation. I definitely paid under $150 but they seem to be $175 on Amazon at the moment.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

NFX posted:

I ended up getting the Sony WH-1000XM2 after mulling over it for quite a while, and I like them a lot. My colleagues at the office who have QC-35s also seem to be impressed. I bought them after reviews said that the ANC is on par with Bose and that the music quality is slightly better. They’re quite bass heavy, but I like them. And they work perfectly fine with 3.5 mm cable in unpowered mode. However, the ANC adds a slight white noise floor (this is quite noticeable in an otherwise silent room), which easily gets masked by music, but I find it to be a bit distracting when listening to podcasts, because you hear it in the silence in between the talking. I don’t know if Bose has that.

These are pretty comparable with the QC35s, I have the Sonys and the wife has the QC35s. I find the Sonys to have slightly better sound, especially with ANC off, but the Bose ANC is noticeably better in a few niche situations I run into, but comparable most of the time. They both fit pretty similarly, the Sonys might be a bit more annoying for people with big ears.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Could you clarify please? Ie, are the earcups on the Sony small, like on the HD1? I can verify that the Bose has normal-sized/comfortable cups.

They are both smaller than any other around-ear headphones I own. The designs of both result in my ears fitting under the inside of the padding, between the padding and the actual headphones. This is different compared to something larger like the Beyerdynamic DT770/990 which I wear more often. With the bigger headphones the padding sits around my ears only contacting my head and is comfortable basically forever, but with the smaller headphones like the QC35/WH-1000X the padding ends up sitting between my ears and my head with the outside of my ears inserted into the space between the pads and the backing.

The two headphones are almost exactly the same size overall, but the padding on Sonys is both a bit stiffer and more substantial, so the actual opening of the earcup ends up slightly narrower. Because the foam is thicker as well there is less space between the inside of the foam padding and the backing of the inside of the earcup across the drivers. The Sony has soft foam there where the Bose has only some fabric mesh. The combination of these things means that with longer wear the Sonys end up putting more pressure on the outside cartilage of my ear which is squished between the faux-leather padding and the soft foam, whereas because the inside of the Bose earcups doesn't have as thick padding or foam over the drivers my ears are only contacted on one side. This difference is only really noticeable after either an extended period of time or if it is warm outside

To put some numbers on it:

Outside Height/Width:

Sony: 95mm/73mm
Bose: 98mm/76mm

Interior Height/Width/Distance between pad and backing:

Sony: 61mm/31mm/3mm
Bose: 61mm/36mm/9mm

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I spent a few hours on a plane recently and my wife and we switched back and forth between the QC35 and the WH1000MX2. The noise cancelling is good on both but different. The Bose does seem to have more of a white noise background, and the Sony has a more...whirring noise? The Sony blocks slightly less noise but the background is quieter while the Bose blocks slightly more sound but that noise background is louder.