Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hey, I'm thinking about picking up another pair of headphones so I can get my Sennheisers I use for recording refurbished. I'm considering going cheap with some Grado SR60's or SR80's, but I've liked some Audio-Technica's I've tried in the past, and would be happy to get suggestions on anything at all.

Budget - $150 or less
Source - Onkyo receiver for video games, a Pyle amp for listening to records, and my USB audio interface every now and then too
Isolation Requirements - I don't think I need it, my HD-280 Pros handle this alright
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think something that'd handle vocals nicely would be cool
Past Headphones - I've got a pair of AirPods from work (they're alright as far as sound goes, maybe a little boring and kind of annoying getting connected to everything) and a pretty aged pair of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros (these are pretty good, maybe a little heavy on the bass, and I wouldn't mind something a little lighter on the ears)
Preferred Music - Various flavors of rock (garage, punk, indie) but also some jazz and hip-hop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Hey, I'm thinking about picking up another pair of headphones so I can get my Sennheisers I use for recording refurbished. I'm considering going cheap with some Grado SR60's or SR80's, but I've liked some Audio-Technica's I've tried in the past, and would be happy to get suggestions on anything at all.

Budget - $200 or less
Source - Onkyo receiver for video games, a Pyle amp for listening to records, and my USB audio interface every now and then too
Isolation Requirements - I don't think I need it, my HD-280 Pros handle this alright
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think something that'd handle vocals nicely would be cool
Past Headphones - I've got a pair of AirPod Pros from work (they're alright I guess), I've killed a few KSC-75's, and also have a pretty aged pair of Sennheiser HD-280 Pros (these are pretty good, but I wouldn't mind something a little lighter on the ears)
Preferred Music - Various flavors of rock (garage, punk, indie) but also some jazz and hip-hop

Hey, sorry to revive this. Following the thread lately I see the Drop Sennheiser 58X's getting recommended a lot. Personally, though, I think I prefer the look of the 6XX's they've got up now. Is there any compelling reason to go one way or the other? Also, how would Grados compare at a similar price point (say anything from the Prestige series all the way up to the 225e)? I am working on a JDS Labs cmoyBB to power them too FWIW.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dogen posted:

58x vs 6xx is personal preference mostly if you have an amp already. People say the 58x sounds more “lively” which may or may not be to everyone’s liking.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

6xx: slightly more laid back treble, warmer, bigger bass, needs an amp to sound great, and will scale well with fancy amps
58x: somewhat brighter and more aggressive, sounds p. much the same whatever you plug it into

they're both great, it's honestly a matter of utility imo.

Grados are much brighter. Much, much brighter. Also, they are not built well. Some people go crazy for them, you really just have to try them.

I wondered about Grados' build quality, maybe I can still check them out one day.

Anyway, would the 58X perform better unamplified than the 6XX? Any idea if plugging into the receiver or audio interface would be amplified? I can't imagine the phono preamp for my turntable is, but plugging in the cmoyBB wouldn't be too much of a hassle for any of these scenarios.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

How does the passive noise isolation of the Sennheiser HD 25 compare to the ANC of Bose QC 25/35s?

I'm curious about these too. Torn between getting my HD280 Pros refurbished ($55) or springing for the HD25 or HD25 Plus (to the get the coiled cable and whatnot). Would mostly use it for playing and recording bass and guitar. Any thoughts on whether it's worth the premium for the Plus? HD25's are $100 through June in celebration of their 25th anniversary by the way.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I've had a set of Sennheiser HD6XX's for about a month now, and they keep making my head sore even after just 15-30 minutes. Any suggestions on what to do about that? I've tried bending the metal band and repositioning them on my head. So, try expanding them with a set of books?

Not opposed to trying something different either, I did mention I was looking at HD25's just a bit back, though I had a different use for those in mind. Anything terribly crazy about trying the HE4XX's instead?

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 7, 2020

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You've pretty much got it. When you're not wearing them, put them on a block that spaces them out, like something about the width of your head.
Also comfier earpads.

I love my HE4xx and they are definitely comfier but they are a completely different headphone. I like them both for different reasons. I'd take the 4xx over the HD25's every time.

Couple hours in on the stretching, and I don't notice anything yet, but I'm not at all surprised. Anything particularly great about the HE4XX's? You ever tried a pair of 6XX's to compare comfort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, big melon and kind of a wimp. We’ll see what some stretching does.