Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ackchyually...
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-koss-esp-95x-electrostatic-system

these are supposedly very good if only from a sonic standpoint.

Are the Koss ESP 95X's a great value? I am kinda on the same boat with a HD-650 and a Monoprice M1060 and been saving up for an Audeze LCD Classic.
Wonder if anyone who has these headphones can give a short review.

Do they come close as to what a high end electrostatic headphone should sound like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

Spiggy posted:

I don't have any of the headphones you have, just the HD 600s, but I'll do a crappy write up. The 95x are a good value on virtue of being effectively a headphone/amp combo at a nice entry point, but I can't personally recommend them to someone with 600/650/6xx. The imaging is a tad better and they're a bit brighter at the expense of having a cheap feeling build. Personally they feel like a slight upgrade at best and a sidegrade at worst.

Not much of an upgrade huh? Dang. Been wanting to dip into the electrostatics and this was a great price point. Any suggestions for a relatively cheap starter electrostatic headphone?

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What's "relatively cheap"? You can't currently buy a new Stax setup for less than around $1300.

edit: oh there's that Hifiman set for $850 but they are apparently not good

Thanks for answering. $1300 is still too steep for me just for an upgrade to my HD600. One last question for the Koss 95Xs: How do they fare in gaming?

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

Hamelekim posted:

I splurged as well. Could have gone with something super high end but I'd rather spread it out and get a bunch of really good stuff to play around with instead. Really looking forward to the RME DAC once it gets here as it has a billion features.The THX AAA is also killer for IEMs so it should be a good combo.

Drop THX AAA 789 Amp
Drop Hifiman Edition XX
Drop Focal Elex
RME ADI-2 DAC FS

What’s your take on the Hifi XX and Focal Elex? Eyeing them right now.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Anyone know of a good upgrade from a M1060 or an HD600? I bought both headphones since their sound signatures complement each other but now I'm thinking of a good upgrade thats between $400-$700. Was thinking of getting a Focal Elex as a good next step since I heard its a good step up from an HD600 in clarity with good bass. Is it a good deal at $600? What about the LCD-2Cs as a step up for the M1060s? I aim to listen to mostly EDMs but I enjoy a hodge podge of stuff according to Spotify.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
What’s the best DAC and AMP that’s less than $300 total for both? mine seems to losing its balance and it’s pretty old. I mostly use an M1060 right now but planning to either get an Ananda or an LCD-2C.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Stacked separates or all in one? What inputs do you need?
e: also, I'm assuming the amp is just for headphones?

Just entry to mid level stuff for headphones. It can be separate or all in one that will only stay at my desktop. Not sure if I’ll ever get into using balanced (do they have a huge difference?) so I just the regular ol 1/4 inch or 3.5 mM plugs.

Something like a Schiit Hela or a magni/modi stack but I haven’t been keeping up lately on to what’s the best.

Anything that can drive a $500 to $1200 planar headphone.

Basically looking for an upgrade to my old Fiio E9 and E7 desktop DAC which I really didn’t research on when I bought them.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Unless there's a real problem with it, you could keep the E7, and just get a massdrop (or JDS Labs) o2 or JDS Labs Atom and be fine.
Or you could blow all $300 on a THX amp like the Drop THX 789 and be blown away, but still not need a new DAC.

So would there be a good noticeable difference with a JDS atom + SDAC or Modi vs blowing it all on the drop THX 789 to pair my old Fiio E7?

My current headphones: M1060 daily driver, Koss E95X (broken atm)

I’m still thinking of getting either a Hifiman Ananda/edition XX, or the LCD 2C eventually. Maybe an Elex but with the bad drivers I’m kinda staying away for now.

Thought of getting a JDS atom and a newer $100ish DAC to replace my E7 but the good DACs are all back ordered. However, the THX 789 is available in Amazon and I keep hearing it’s the best.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Does anyone here owned the KSP E95X drop electrostatic for a while now? Got 1 last year and it had a hissing noise that wouldn’t go away despite using canned air and covering it. It’s replacement eventually had it as well so just sent it back for a refund.

I’m tempted to get another if they improved their quality control for their newer units.

It’s sound is pretty unique for sure.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
On Bose vs Sony’s best ANC cans which one is the most comfortable?

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Need an in ear headphone that can be driven by a PS5 controller. I mostly use it to watch tv while lying in bed so it should be somewhat comfortable having the in ears between the pillow and my head. I’ve been doing that with the PS5 headset but I’m worried it might break.

Basically a small but still good sounding in ear headphone.

I’m thinking somewhere around $100 or below.

Also is it possible to have an open back headphone with ANC? Never heard anyone talk about it but I thought If the headphones got a chip to ignore sound coming from the drivers and just focus on the background noise.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. Ordered a Tanya

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Are Apple’s Max headphones the best for connected PC gaming? Got a bit of ambient noise at my pc while I’d also love a good ANC headphones when Covid travel becomes easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a ANC headphone with low enough latency that's good for PC gaming and to drown out my loud AC unit. Wired would be best. Are there any recommendations? It working with my PS5 will be a plus and has to be over the ear.

Anywhere around >$400 but if there are good ones please let me know.