Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
I'm looking for my first "real" set of headphones for PC gaming. I don't really have anything other than a Logitech H150, so I'm willing to go big here.

Budget - $100 - 150 USD. I'm no audiophile, but I'm more than willing to up the budget if it seems worth it.
Source - My PC, with both USB and headphone jacks available.
Isolation Requirements - None really, I plan on using these in my room almost exclusively.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural. Open is a must, because I plan on wearing these for hours at a time. Comfort and quality are a must, while isolation is not.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'd mostly be gaming with these, with a bit of music and VOIP. I'd like a good balance, I guess? Maybe with slightly more bass?
Past Headphones - No idea on the brands, but most of the previous stuff I've tried has been really uncomfortable, because my ears are super weird / sensitive, and after a while it hurts to have earbuds or headphones in or on them, while closed stuff has made my ears feel sweaty.
Preferred Music - I'd be using these mostly for gaming, VOIP, and podcasts, but the music I listen to the most is definitely classic rock or blues.

Thank you very much!

literally this big fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

This looks pretty good, and it's definitely within my price range. Can I get any second opinions on these?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I'm considering getting some AD700s based off of reviews and goon recommendation, but I've noticed a lot of reviews mention that they lack bass, are uncomfortable, and aren't great for gaming, which is terrible because those are all things that are most important to me. Is there anything out there in that price range that would be great for gaming, really deliver on bassy sounds like explosions, have a high sound quality when listening to music (specifically rock or jazz), and feel comfortable even after hours of constant use?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

BurritoJustice posted:

AD700s are often rated as some of the best headphones for gaming sound/positioning, so I dunno where you heard that one :shrug:. (Also the ATH-AD/x series is awesome)
Even the top rated positive review for them on Amazon noted

quote:

The lack of bass. I think this was the most common issue I heard on any site.

While the highest rated positive review for the 700X (which used the same drivers as the 700) says

quote:

For gaming they are okay depending on what you're buying them for. If you're buying them for competitive gaming, yes they are great headphones... However if you are buying it for fun and want to enjoy the sound effects of things blowing up, etc, these are not for you. The bass to too minimal to make it a great headphone for non-competitive gaming.
I play a lot of actiony games, so getting the most out of every gunshot / explosion means a lot to me.
Of all the reviews I read, the consensus seems to be that the 700 series has excellent sound quality, with a notable lack of bass, and that the 700 is heavy and bulky, while the 700X is lighter but much cheaper.

Sorry but I want to be sure that I'm getting everything I want for my $200.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 19, 2014

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I just pout in an order for an AD-900X, which seems to be what I'm looking for. Thanks, headphone megathread!

How long can I expect these to last me?

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello thread. I'm looking for a set of wireless earbuds for use at the gym and such with my Google Pixel. I don't have a specific budget in mind, I'm just looking for a quality set of buds that'll last me a long time. What're the go-to goon recommendations? Thanks!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Cardiovorax posted:

I like being able to have my fan running even when I listen to music, but without constantly hearing it in the background, so there's a real-world scenario that might give you an idea of what isolation is good for. Active noise cancelling has been a godsend to me.

Again, I heartily recommend the Soundpeats TruEngine SE true wireless earbuds. They're fifty dollars or less, last for five to six hours, and they have very good audio for what they cost. They'll last you a while, I assume - I've been using mine on a literally daily basis for six months now and I've experienced no loss of quality or battery life. They've also dropped to the floor more than a few times and came away from it without any damage. It's a good pair of earbuds.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I got a pair of Tranya B530 Pro as a complete impulse buy for like $30 on sale on amazon. They're.... actually really good? They actually have a decently tight and not overdone low end, surprisingly forward and coherent mids, and inoffensive treble. The tuning is really surprising, vocals sound good and are up front and center, unlike most cheapo earbuds. Battery's been good all day and the case just about fits in the coin pocket on jeans. The buds are built solid and small, with responsive (sometimes overly so) touch controls, but the case is rather flimsy and I can see myself having to 3d print a replacement lid for it when the tiny little hinge inevitably breaks.

Anyway, I was wondering when chi-fi would start to overtake the big boys in the TWS market and the answer is definitely now, because I would pick these cheap little shits over airpods any day of the week.
Thanks for these suggestions. These both seem to be around the same price point, does one of them have the edge against the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Just ordered the Tranya B530 Pro. I'm excited for my first pair of wireless earbuds, let's see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation.

I also got myself a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD500X for music and gaming. It's nice to have nice things!