Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Hey, Midorka, the new OP doesn't warn users off of Beats. Is that intentional? In other words, did they start making some headphones that are not terrible? Their reputation online seems terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

eddiewalker posted:

I don't know if there's a thread where I'll have more luck with this question, but does anyone know a place to get a good deal on custom-molded earplugs?

Are earplugs closer to a "commodity product" than IEMs, so maybe I can find a local place to both take impressions and make plugs?

Look for an audiologist in your area.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

landofcake posted:

Thanks for the advice on the earbuds, so it looks like I'm currently choosing between the Audio-Technica ATH-CKM500 and JVC HA-FXT90 earbuds ... does anyone have any other thoughts on those two? I would have to wait a lot longer for the JVC pair and they cost about £30 more, but if they're a good amount better than the AT ones then it seems like they might be a good buy.

I don't think those are earbuds. Read the OP again. You're looking for IEM's, right?

Sorry, haven't tried either of those two. I just love correcting people's vocabulary on the Internet.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
The Koss PortaPro's lifetime warranty really is the bee's knees, people!

I got my GF a pair a few years back. For the price, it's hard to beat the sound quality, and she hates in-ear phones so they were a good match. They just broke for the second time. (Cable problem, the right earpiece was silent unless you wiggle the cable.) That will happen to any headphone, in my experience, sooner or later. Last time, we had to send them in for repair, but they've simplified the process.

Just fill in a return form online, and they actually ship the spare parts, free of charge (not even charging postage). Took about a week to arrive, which is pretty great. The spare part was a pair of new earphones, including cables. They snap off easily from the headband, so no tools were needed to replace them.
I wonder how they can afford to keep this up - most PortaPro owners must not know about this policy, or something.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

eddiewalker posted:

How'd they verify ownership? I'm sure I never sent in a warranty card.

(re: portapros)

Sorry for the late response.

They ask for a "receipt number" in the online form. I filled in the only number I found on my receipt from the retailer, and it seems to have worked. I have no idea if they actually verify the sale with the retailer, or if it's just to weed out people who are afraid to bluff. I'd bet the latter, it would probably be cheaper for them.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I tried my brother's ATH-M50 this weekend. The sound is really nice, but drat those things are uncomfortable on me! Maybe I have large ears or something, but somehow it seems that supra-aural are just not for me. I've had this experience before, where I can wear them maybe 10 minutes before the pressure on my ears becomes annoying.

I'm sticking with my trusty Senn HD448 for now. The sound is good enough and at least I can wear them for a couple of hours before they're too sweaty.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

shymog posted:

I hope I didn't make a huge mistake, but Best Buy is apparently closing out Sennheiser HD-380 Pros here for $99 and I grabbed a pair after doing a quick look on reviews. I'm not going to be able to give them a long listen until later tonight, but they seem to be a good step up from the HD-439s they are replacing.

I was almost 100% sure they were actually meant to complement/replace the HD-280. The model number certainly seems to indicate a connection, and they're both in the "studio" line. The 280 is still there, though.
http://en-de.sennheiser.com/headphones/studio

From what I can see the HD-439 are removed from that page, though. Weird, the HD 449 are still listed under "Music & entertainment", as are the older HD 438.

The people in this thread seem thoroughly unimpressed with the HD 380.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 8, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Incredulous Dylan posted:

the loudest loving white noise I ever heard in my life (imagine HBO intro as loud as your headphones could play). My current headphones then had a very loud, high pitched constant tone coming out of them for more than 10 minutes or so when I would try them after unplugging, restarting everything, etc. Things seems to be back to normal but I could swear I am hearing some background noise now during isolated parts of pieces in the higher ranges.

Sounds more like your ears were broken, not the headphones. =(
Tinnitus is not to be trifled with, letting your ears rest for a few more days!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Yuns posted:

I was surprised at my blind test results.
I can detect a 0.5 change in db consistently. I can detect a 10 hz difference in pitch but cannot identify a 5 Hz change in pitch. I don't have sensitivity to polarity changes in headphones. My high frequency hearing has deteriorated significantly and I have lost 18k+ frequencies.

Congratulations on your good results! I'll have to try myself when I'm home alone. But surely the pitch test is using cents, not Hz? A cent is 100th of a half-tone interval, the size of which (in Hz) varies depending on the note. At A=440, a cent down would be 0,247 Hz, if I understood it correctly. 10Hz would be very easy to detect compared to 10c.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 3, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tactical Lesbian posted:

for that price dude you can't go wrong with the Audio Technica ath-m50s -- they're like the quintessential entry level cans; everyone's got a pair

But they aren't circumaural, are they? I think that's the kind they were asking for. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the post.
I tried the m50s and found them a little uncomfortable due to them putting pressure on my ears.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Maybe if you have huge ears they're not?

Well, at least I'm not alone in not thinking the m50s are circumaural:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600080/need-details-on-audio-technica-ath-m50s
http://www.head-fi.org/t/552552/ath-m50-ear-pad-discomfort-srh-840-and-940-replacements-ath-m50-velour-part-2

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tindahbawx posted:

Why the HD668B's specifically? Well, I'm pretty broke this month, they're cheap and seemingly well reviewed, and you'll laugh, but that detachable cable plug is tempting me, given that a lot of my old headphones wires tend to fray in that area first, every time. I was hoping that the detachable plug up there might mitigate that if the jack is able to rotate a little while in use? Headphone jacks are more or less rotating electrical connectors, right?

No-one will laugh - being able to replace the cable will save you a lot of money in the long run vs sending them in for repair when the cable breaks.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

guppy posted:

Thanks everyone. I passed on your suggestions.

I've got some experience of this, having tried two brands on noise-cancelling IEMs on intercontinental flights, and I don't seem to agree with the rest of the crew here. I'm regularly using one pair from Audio Technica (ATH-ANC23 BK IM). It does really make a huge difference when you switch on the NC, so it's not just the passive isolation working. I don't keep them turned on when sleeping on the flight, because I find the drone of the engines doesn't really bother me then. It's when I'm watching a movie or TV show that it really shines. I can use a waaaay lower volume setting with these, which saves a lot of ear fatigue, without missing out on any dialogue. They come with an airplane adapter, and are not very pricy at all.

Using regular IEMs is fine, too, it just isolates noticeably less. I wouldn't spend too much on audio quality because they're mostly gonna hear engine noise anyway in that case (auditory masking etc).

In any setting outside of an long-haul airplane flight, I would recommend against getting active NC, but that is the one situation where I think it's warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Agatsu posted:

Usage: I am a drummer, these are my hearing protection basically.

Sorry to see you didn't get any recommendations yet. I'll just chime in to say that if you were able to up your budget a bit and get custom-molded tips, you'd never go back to big clunky over-ears again. The comfort and isolation will be worth it. I don't think you'd need to overspend on the 'phones themselves, since any sound quality issues would be partially masked by the sound of your own drumming. Molding is always expensive though, check with local audiologists what they'd charge and what brands they offer. See if they offer a warranty on the fit. You could hypothetically upgrade the drivers later if you're not 100% happy with how they sound.