Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Budget - up to $150 or so
Source - iPhone 8
Isolation Requirements - IDK, not too essential
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM wired
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced LMAO
Past Headphones - Sennheiser CX100 - sound to weak and tinny to me, several over-ear Sennheisers from the 5 series that sound good to me
Preferred Music - indie folk, jazz, rap,

I need a pair of better sounding IEMs for my long walks to and from work. I like to hear detail in music and enjoy a balanced sound. Sound quality is paramount for me, followed by comfort. The options I am looking at include Klipsch T5M Wired and V-Moda Forza Metallo Wired. I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with either of these two or has another option to recommend. And getting Shures in my country is a pain in the butt, but we have Fiio, as well as most mainstream big name brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks guys, looks like I'm SOL because nobody will ship Moondrop or Etymotic to my country from within the EU, and iSines are $450 where I live.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Looking for a recommendation for my daughter who lives in a house with 4 other kids (2 under 3yo). She will be doing remote learning for school and needs some headphones so 2 screaming toddlers don't bother her. Isolation and bluetooth are definitely gonna be the biggest priority so she is not distracted. Headphones would be better than IEM. Staying under $100 would be ideal but not a dealbreaker.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.40BT I used during the lockdown for conferencing from a busy home and they work pretty well in terms of what you’re looking for, but what makes them really amazing is the 20+ hour battery life

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

What's your opinion on True Wireless in terms of sound quailty? And does anyone have experience with Sony WF-1000XM3, are they worth the money and do they sound good? I listen mostly to music, all genres, while walking to work.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ddogflex posted:

I use mine most every time I'm out in public alone. I've tried a lot of true wireless, and they have the most appealing sounds signature to my ears. For reference, at home I tend to use Audeze LCD2C and LCD-i3 mostly.

Thanks, this sounds promising

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

UtahIsNotAState posted:

Thanks for the reply. I am ignoring the Sennheister HD6XX because you say they have bad isolation. I looked up the beyerdynamics, and a lot of people are complaining about what you mentioned. So I think i'll pass on those. I'm looking at the Sennheiser 280 Pro, and it's only $100 on amazon so I am intrigued. Would I need to buy a USB amp for it to maximize its potential? If so, Is there one that's recommended for not more then $100?

In terms of durabilty, you will be hard pressed to find a better pair at that price. The 280 pro is a workhorse. You might even like the sound profile, but they could certainly use an amplifier due to the relatively high impedance and general crumminess of computer sound cards and outputs. I guess you’re in the US so maybe one of the American headphone goons can recommend an amp?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Is it normal for headphones to degrade over time? I’ve had a pair of HD 518s for a decade and they just don’t sound good anymore. The pads seem to have lost volume in the past year or so, maybe that is the reason?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Generally speaking, with headphones and loudspeakers it's typically an all-or-nothing affair: it either works or it gives up the ghost entirely. A slow loss of audio quality over time isn't something you see very often. If the foam padding of the headphones has started to give out, then you might get a subjectively lower quality due to the reduced isolation from environmental noises and such, but that's just me guessing.

It’s an open model so I don’t think it’s about environmental noise, plus I live in a very quiet place. I guess it’s either the psychological effect of the quality of other gear I’ve acquired over the years or me going deaf in a weird manner.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

That sounds encouraging, the pads do seem a little bit deflated. And now to find someone that will ship to my country :sigh:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I think giving feedback to threads like these is important, so thank you goons for recommending getting replacement pads for my ancient Sennheiser HD518s. The new pads really brought them back to life, they sound good again. The pads are from a company named Geekria, if anyone cares. Special thanks to Cardiovorax for shipping them to me from Germany out of pure kindness. These forums really shine as a community in cases like this one.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

You’re probably thinking of Sony WH-1000XM4. But there are better sounding headphones out there if you don’t need noise canceling. However, if you do, putting these headphones on feels like being sealed inside a submarine. They’re really good at isolating you from ambient sounds.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Cambridge audio used to be a somewhat well regarded audiophile brand that started branding itself as the company for people that “don’t want poo poo sound” (actual quote from their website). I am glad to hear product quality is in line with their new brand identity.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Whathifi.com rated them five stars and placed them second in their TWS rankings :negative:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Verviticus posted:

is there a good singular resource to figure out all these other things? theres a bunch online but id have no idea if they're basically just advertising and affiliate links with no real substance

edit: the op is from 2013 and a lot of those links are just dead or useless

I find that whathifi tends to be credible on technical issues such as battery life, practicality of use and similar. Audio quality, however, I don’t trust them until I’ve tried the product myself. I am happy with their top recommended set of cheap bookshelf speakers and TW buds, but I bought them only after doing a ton of research on my own and auditioning the speakers.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have a Topping question: should I get the E30+L30 combo or go for the DX3 Pro, which seems to include both the DAC and the amp in one box? The cost difference is insignificant, I prefer the single box form factor.

Another question - will any of the mentioned be OK to support 150-300 ohm headphones when I upgrade in the future?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

The DX3 Pro was updated with a new output opamp with the LDAC revision and now the output impedance is 10ohm, making it unsuitable for any headphone under 80ohms and a poor pick in general.

The L30 is genuinely enough headphone amp for literally every headphone except for specially the Hifiman HE6/HE6se/Susvara which are dumb gold diaphragm headphones made to justify overkill amps. I own and daily drive the HE6se and love it to absolute bits

Thank you, knowledge like this is what makes this thread great

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

My Topping E30+L30 stack arrived today. Definitely gives a nice oomph to my old Sennheisers, finally music that doesn't feel too quiet and not punchy enough. Especially from my laptop with its lovely onboard sound. I feel that I've gained the most with metal and techno, although everything sounds better now. This will keep me happy for a while. Thanks thread for all the support and knowledge.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Don’t worry, we do a lot of casual headphone chat here, the previous few pages with a ton of formal requests were an anomaly.

In other news, I got a pair of LCD-1s for Christmas. I love them very much and I am fascinated how easy they are to drive, even straight from my iPhone. The sound I can describe only as crisp, if that makes any sense. I find they work the best with genres that have a lot going on at the same time like metal, funk or really busy jazz, that’s where they truly shine. I still prefer my old Sennheisers for sparse vocal arrangements. The only possible objection would be a definite lack of bass, but that’s not that important to me.

They are also very comfortable and don’t clamp, although the cups are a little bit on the small side.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

well why not posted:

Something has changed, my brand new m50xbt press on my ear in a really uncomfortable way. I really like the headphones and my last two pairs didn't do this at all. I have small ears but it just starts to hurt after a while. I used to wear m50s all day. I don't understand what's going on. I think wearing a too-tight mask has affected my ears or something. I'm struggling to explain the discomfort.

I have a similar problem with larger headphones. My theory is that the larger pads go so far over the ear they apply pressure on my parotids, which causes me to feel a sort of sharp-ish discomfort that seems to be placed in my ear or immediately in front of it. It usually happens after and hour or so, so my Sennheisers feel ok to listen to an album or two, but not for an eight hour work day.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

I have a pair of audio technica AD1000X headphones that I quite enjoy. I also have AT SR5BTs. Obviously I'm a big fan of the AT house sound. But I am looking to add another pair that's different enough, but still has really excellent sound separation, clarity but maybe a more luscious lower end. Are all those possible? I was looking at:

Sundara
HD6XX
LCD1

Other suggestions?

LCD-1s have amazing clarity and are super comfortable but a luscious lower end, not really. Don’t get me wrong, I love them and they work really well with a ton of genres I like, but they don’t have a pronounced bass, if that’s the kind of difference you’re looking for.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

What genres would you say LCD1s excel at? I don't need huge bass (see my AT love), but I want it to be fun an engaging at least.

I love how they make trip hop, hardcore, metal and hip hop sound. Ambient and experimental electronica sound great, the less natural the sound, I like the precision they bring more, if that makes sense. Stuff like Autechre sounds just about perfect.

A bit less happy with indie folk, jazz and classical. It also took me a couple of weeks to get used to the sound, but that is probably normal.

I use a Topping E30 + D30 stack to drive them, it really makes a difference compared to playing music straight from my phone.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Can anyone with actual experience compare these vintage Sennheisers with brand new models? I am kind of intrigued, but if I were to judge by what I’ve read online, either the entire modern headphone industry is a scam, or people suffer from terrible nostalgia bias. So which one is it?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Luegene Cards posted:

Budget - $150-300
Source - iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Closed for subway listening
Preferred Type of Headphone - circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think I like crisper, cleaner tones
Past Headphones - Audio technica MX50
Preferred Music - Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, St. Vincent, hip hop, that sorta thing

So I'm like, basically completely done with buying converters to the current gen iphone jacks and having them burn out a month later. Like I've probably spent close to a good pair of headphones on the things. So I think bluetooth is probably the best solution? Unless there's something I don't know about, which is extremely believable. Thanks!

You’re within range of the beloved Sony WH-1000XM4 when they go on discount, they should hit all of your checkboxes. They’re $350 full price.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have a Yamaha receiver and the headphone jack is just not good, even with headphones supposed to sound good with crappy sources. I’d say it makes my headphones sound worse than when I plug them straight into my phone.

I also have a pair of 560S and love the sound, but dislike the comfort. They are clampier than my old HD 518. Plus, they do need a bit of juice IMO.

Also, the planars of today are different then the ones from a few years ago. I actually own a pair of planars (LCD-1) that work better with low power sources than the 560S, so I’d ask around about experiences with the cheaper Hifimans.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Pakistani politics posted:

Hey goonz:

So I love my girlfriend. She's great. But she also hates any kinda of music or loud noise at night. For her, it's her wind-down time and she becomes extra-sensitive.

But I like loud music, especially on a Saturday night. I have a LG-PL7 Bluetooth speaker and I think it's great, but I'm looking for something else. And that's where you might be able to help.

On nights such as those Saturdays, it's nice to be doing our own thing, but together. She can play death stranding, and I can "party" and listen to loud music. But the key word here would be together.

So I'm looking for some sub-$100 open back headphones that are super duper open. She can play games, I can listen to music at a high enough volume, and we don't fight. I to be able to hear her, but sitting next to me, she's not too bothered by the sound/music. I'm sure she can tolerate some music noise, no prob. And id like to maintain a fun and bassy-enough sound, not something flat and referencey. I listen to a lot of rock, shoegaze, etc and electronic music, maybe metal. Pls help 🥺

Look up Philips SHP9500 and see whether they are something that would work for you. You should be able to find them at around $80 on Amazon.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

There’s a Bluetooth over-ear shaped hole in my collection and I can get the Sony XM3 or the Jabra Elite 85h for the same price at the moment. Based exclusively on sound quality, which one would you say is better?

I listen to a super wide selection of music, pretty much everything but classical.

I am aware that the XM3 has better ANC and the Jabra has a reputation for amazing battery life, also looks better.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

PolishPandaBear posted:

Hah, those look awesome. I guess I should have been more clear about budget. To narrow it down, I'd like to keep to ~$200 US, especially if I'll need to get an amp later.

I am concerned about cup size, but I want good quality sound too. After looking at these a little closer, I'm considering the HD6XX vs. the HD599. Is the 560S something I should look at?

I have the 560s. The sound is awesome, but they’re a bit clampy and the cup size doesn’t feel that great, especially because the pad material is kind of hard

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Oysters Autobio posted:

Looking to help find my GF a pair of over the ear bluetooth headphones for working out, going for walks, and occassionally using it at the office or computer.

Budget - Max $200 CAD all-in
Source - Samsung phone
Isolation Requirements - Yes
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced
Past Headphones - Used to use IEMs and such but found the buds don't ever fit well or comfortably in her ear
Preferred Music - indie pop

So she wants wireless bluetooth so she can workout without any cables, but since its for working out I dont think battery life is a huge concern since she wouldnt be wearing these for 6 hours a day. I think ideally for flexibility theyd have bluetooth and an aux cable but I don't know how often you see that combo for over ear headphones.

Ideally because theyd be used for working out and be thrown into a bag, it needs to have some durability so something with all plastic parts might be ideally something to avoid (just from personal experience owning a pair of cheap logitech gaming headphones that broke because of dinky little plastic pieces holding it together broke).

Personal experience, I own a pair of Sony MDR 7506 for gaming and love them, and like that they have a real "durable" no-frills feel to them along with metal clips and parts. Something like them but in wireless form would be great. She's not an audophile or anything so sound quality just needs to be average.

Jabra Elite 85h are $199 on Amazon.ca as part of cyber Monday promotion. I can heartily recommend them in terms of durability, comfort, sound quality and looks. They do a lovely ANC job, but your girlfriend doesn’t seem to need that. They usually cost a bit more

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Oysters Autobio posted:

How do these fair for working out? They seem quite large/bulky but I don't really know whats normal for wireless headphones (I use buds for working out myself).

They feel rather light but clamp enough not to fall off while running or doing similar activities. I guess they might get in the way of your arms if you were doing, I dunno, overhead presses or something like that. Also, I wouldn’t play squash or do similar activities with lots of acceleration and sudden changes in direction of movement, they should certainly fall off.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

uwimage posted:

Sony MDR-Z1R ok…

You had them two years before their launch date? Wow, do you have an uncle at Sony?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

uwimage posted:

yes, I’ve been in the AV industry for over 25 years, want my passport? Jealous?

And you came to a comedy forum for AV advice? lmao

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

There's always the over ear version of the Jabra - I think the 85?

I own it, the Elite 85h. I think it does everything the OP asked for, but I don’t think it sounds as good as the ATH. It looks cool, though, especially the blue version.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Xik posted:

What do you use the 85h for and what devices do you connect to? Their FAQ says it's not designed for use with computers and it looks like some of the functionality can't be configured without the mobile app?

I use them for my commute and calls at work. They stay connected to two devices at a time so I painlessly switch from my phone to my Mac at home or my Dell at work. They seem to know they need to switch to another device in situations such as a Zoom or Teams meeting starting. I’ve also seen the FAQ, it doesn’t seem to be true or at least I haven’t discovered what functionalities don’t work on a computer. They pair with computers like any other BT set.

The app lets you fine tune context sensitive ANC modes such as the headphone automatically recognizing you’re on your commute and adjusting the ANC accordingly. It also offers a basic EQ, and that’s it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

What is the BDS list?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_Divestment_and_Sanctions

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have 560s and they do not sound good enough from my MacBook Air or iPhone, at least to me. Too quiet and muddy. I also have a pair of Audeze LCD-1 that sound almost as good as when amplified. I have no idea about 58x.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sony’s don’t mix with hats. I don’t know how a turban works, have never worn one, but if there is a chance the cloth would touch the buds, weird stuff will happen with the sensors.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

How do the Sennheiser HD560s stack up these days? I swap around multiple devices between a pair of Logitech G Pro wired headphones (they’re… fine, but not super comfortable) and some Arctis 3 headphones (cheaper feeling and sounding) and kind of want to step up into a nicer pair of headphones that would be used between listening to music and gaming, though mostly gaming.

Whenever I see Sennheisers recommended, it’s usually the 598s or 650s, but the 560s are more in my price range.

I don’t need or want noise canceling. My needs are sounds good, lasts a long time, wired, over the ear but comfortable with glasses and a removable cable.

They sound really good, but are not that comfortable for me. I have a very large head though, so your experience might be different.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Ahhh, I am bigheaded as well. I would be buying from Amazon so at least it’s an easy return if I go this route.

If you can return them, great. I can use mine to listen for an hour or so, then my jaw starts hurting like hell

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

101 posted:

Then is buying expensive ones just snake oil like old Monster cables?

Yes, especially with how good fairly cheap headphone amps are today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

HD560s sounds good, but if you have a large head, it feels like the Casino vice scene after half an hour