Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm looking to finally buy a real pair of headphones for gaming. A few years back I had a set of turtle beach 5.1 headphones that I loved playing CS and stuff with because the surround sound was great, and I'd like to buy something similar. I've been out of the scene for quite a while and everything is through USB instead of the old separate 3.5 jacks that sound cards used to use and it seems that a lot of the "surround sound" gaming headsets are actually regular 2 channel with software emulation? (I should mention this will be for PC use, not console) And I'm not sure what's good and what's poo poo. My budget is 200-300, though I'd prefer 250 and under. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean you may be right, I never opened up, but the ones I had were advertised as cans with mini discrete drivers for each channel

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So, since you seem to know quite a bit about it, do you...have any suggestions...??

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I don't need a mic so I'm not terribly concerned about that. Beyerdynamic's site says the 300r is out of stock, are there any good online sellers for headphones you'd recommend I look at? Amazon doesn't seem to have them listed and that's about the extent of my knowledge

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Goddamit beyer every time you put out something new and good it disappears.

Fidelio X3 are a good option now that the price dropped, especially if you're not using an amp. Sennheiser 58x are less "spacious" sounding, but very accurate, detailed and comfortable. These are all open headphones that will leak sound to some extent by the way, if you're looking for closed the DT770 pro 80 ohm would be my pick.

e: or just embrace the etymotic lifestyle right up in your earholes, i've been wearing my ER2XR all day and it's like I have a perfect set of tower speakers in my sinuses

Would you recommend the Sennheiser 58x over the pc38x? They seem to be similarly priced

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Probably the 38x if you're primarily gaming.

Grabbed these from some place called Drop. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wheeee posted:

I'd look at the 560S in that price range.

There's a new review of the PC38X up as well for comparison.

Unfortunately it seems the Sennheiser 58x, the 560s, the 6xx and that TYGR 300r are all out of stock everywhere. Beyerdynamic DT 770 and 990 are in stock but tbh I don't understand what people are talking about in their reviews to know what the actual differences are between the two and between those and the PC38x

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Clark Nova posted:

The 6XX and 58X can only be purchased from drop.com and it looks like they're in stock

Down at the bottom it says they won't ship until March 16 and March 31, respectively. So I guess not out of stock, technically, just unavailable

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It turns out that though it never indicated so, a second look at my PC38x order shows that it won't ship til March 1st so I think I'm gonna cancel that one and try the 770

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

site posted:

It turns out that though it never indicated so, a second look at my PC38x order shows that it won't ship til March 1st so I think I'm gonna cancel that one and try the 770

just wanted to report that these finally showed up and they sound amazing (well, coming from 8yo iphone earphones anything would probably sound amazing, but you know what i mean) so thanks for the help everyone!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rakeris posted:

Glad you like them! If you want to check out some "engineered" EQ presets check out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory199...tm_source=share

from previous page but thanks for posting this. i ended up thinking his 990 eq profile sounded kinda flat, but it did teach me how to install apo+peace and find something that worked for me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i have a little more money than sense and picked up a set of DT770s to supplement my DT990s because i wasn't quite happy with the lack of bass and very high treble which i thought i could ignore but couldn't, and when trying to use them while gaming i immediately noticed just how enclosed they are compared to the 990s, where it actually feels like sounds are around me at a distance and not just some degree rotating directly around my head with the 770s. my google-fu here sucks and i don't know what to search for, but i'm wondering if someone here can explain, or link to a good resource, that can tell me why open-back headphones can produce such a noticeable effect. i checked the glossary pages linked in the op and all they say is that that is the difference between open and closed backed, but i would like to read the "technical" reason this happens

site fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 8, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So a while back i got some new headphones with a mic because I didn't think I needed one. Well, now I do (because of course) and unfortunately just some cheap desktop mic isn't gonna do it. I live in a small space with no desk and use a laptop so I was wondering if there's like a decent cheap Bluetooth mic I could pin to my shirt or something like that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been running my 250ohm 990s straight out of my laptop's headphone jack just fine, but yeah i ended up installing EqualizerAPO and Peace to EQ the treble down. i love using them while gaming but tbh i find myself using my 770s for basically everything else

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey all, a while ago I vaguely remember there being a cheap apple amp recommended here. I have a friend asking about cheap amps for her headphones I was wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about, or if there's a new cheap recommendation

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

njsykora posted:

You’re thinking of the Apple Dongle.

this thing?

she's looking at AT or Sennheisers, this would be sufficient for her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i'm not sure on which models specifically she's looking at so i let her know she might not need it, but thanks for the quick help y'all