Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

MAYBE IF MY WEAK NONSENSICAL "BURNS" ARE CONVOLUTED ENOUGH, NOBODY WILL NOTICE THAT IN SPITE OF BEING A CONDESCENDING TAINTSMEAR IN EVERY THREAD I POST IN, I HAVE LITERALLY NEVER HAD ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY INSIGHTFUL OR FUNNY TO SAy.

Coredump posted:

Ouch, $40 for real? I thought my brainwavez hm5's were extravagant at $20. That can really add to the cost of some headphones.

I just ordered two different sets of Brainwavz HM5s (one sheepskin leather and one garish red velour) because buying official replacement earpads for my extremely well used HD600s from Sennheiser would have cost even more still for just one official pair.

So I thought gently caress it. I'm going 3rd party and trying out some different options.

Nice headphones though. I've used them heavily for... I want to say 5 or 6 years now? Basically as-new except for the earpads being nearly completely flattened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

MAYBE IF MY WEAK NONSENSICAL "BURNS" ARE CONVOLUTED ENOUGH, NOBODY WILL NOTICE THAT IN SPITE OF BEING A CONDESCENDING TAINTSMEAR IN EVERY THREAD I POST IN, I HAVE LITERALLY NEVER HAD ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY INSIGHTFUL OR FUNNY TO SAy.

The earpads on my HD600s wore out completely over the past 6 years from heavy use so I had to get new ones.

Instead of buying the official ones from Sennheiser which are overpriced as hell for non memory foam with velour glued to a plastic ring I instead ordered Brainwavz HM-5 pads from their website. Wasn't sure what would be best so I bought one each of the memory foam velour and also the memory foam lambskin pads, figuring at worst I'd have a spare pair I could toss in the cupboard.
(If you do this you'll need the plastic rings off the official pads to make the attachment work, so get your scissors and a small knife then get cutting)

Over the past month or so I used the velour pads and really liked them. Much more plush than the original ones. However since the 600s are known as a clampy headphone for good reason the additional plushness of the velour HM5 pads made them just exert just a bit too much pressure on the sides of my head (ears were fine because safely nestled inside the cups). Might not be an issue for people with a smaller head but it's a big issue for me - for the record if I wear my even older pair of AKG701s I wear them on maximum extension and the suspension headband barely fits my skull.

After swapping out the velour pads with the lambskin ones it's amazing. They are softer than the velour pads so the fit is now heavenly. The leather also doesn't make any audible noises while you shift around or adjust the HD600s. I can't express how comfortable these are now and I think it slightly improved the bass response due to the increased isolation but that may just be perceptual bias.

I guess overall if you have a pair of HD600s (or 650s I guess?) and need replacement earpads I strongly recommend the lambskin HM5 pads from Brainwavz.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

drat NIGGA posted:

I just ordered a Little Dot MkII to pair with my HD600s and I have a question about getting sound from my PC to the amp.

I'm currently using the SMSL SD-793II DAC/AMP. Is this how I should connect everything?

PC Optical Out>SMSL Optical In> RCA outs> amp inputs . Will this be double amping? Are the RCA outs affected by the volume knob on the smsl?

Well when I went from a Firestone Fubar IV+ to a Schiit Jotunheim for the balanced output and better SNR I just replaced things wholesale.

Don't know. The more poo poo you toss into the chain the more variables you have to deal with because anything not completely neutral is going to affect your audio.

If you wanted an all in one DAC/Tube Amp combo then Woo Audio and others might sell you something appropriate. I follow the KISS principle so I would rather avoid the whole daisy chain situation entirely.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a hand-me-down DT550 that I love (but the foam over the drivers is falling apart, and the padding is getting flat) and my HD555s are falling apart (plastic is literally deteriorating). What would you recommend me in the same price range or the same quality level? I am actually in preference to my DT550 over the HD555 if that matters, but I am not brand loyal.

I had some trouble figuring out what the DT550s were because apparently HP makes a computer or something with that ID number.

The Beyer sound signature is quite special. If you like the treble spikes then check amazon and see if you can snag a DT990 premium for a good price at whatever OHMs your gear is comfortable driving. If you can't then whatever mid range 5-series Sennheiser has is probably ok.

Or... you might be able to just buy replacement bits for the HD's you currently have from Sennheiser directly. They're usually reasonably modular so see if your particular model has replacement parts available on their service website because that might save you some dosh.

Also Beyer will probably sell you replacement foam that fits for a fraction of the price of new cans. Look up what fits and buy new ear cushions if that helps.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 3, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

So I very recently bought a pair of M1060s from Monoprice recently because I wanted planars anyway and the price seemed too good to be true (300 USD). Got them today after bit of a wait because Australian.

They're amazing. Holy poo poo. I could waffle on with various words to describe things but that's the summary. Stock comfort is excellent too.

Negative aspects:
You'll need to bring your own 3.5 -> quarter inch adaptor (I had one already), the included cable is only 4ft/1.2m long (I'm... ok with this? My amp is right in front of me when I listen anyway).
The stock pads are synth leather (what do you expect for the price) and they're glued on so when you want to change pads get some double sided tape to adhere them. I'm going to get some ZMF pads for this thing at some point because fake leather makes my ears hot but the real stuff doesn't.

Oh and the cable connectors are mmcx so I'm terrified I'm going to break them because they're tiny. But no joke within a minute of wearing the M1060s I forgot the cable was so short (used to 10ft ones) and I went to get something and ripped the cable right out of my amplifier without damaging the headphones, so maybe my fear is unfounded.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

D1E posted:

Thanks for your input on these. I have been watching them ever since they were announced, and was waiting on initial impressions/reviews before buying a pair. Monoprice sold out of their initial stock of 500 units very quickly, so they're not available again until mid-April (estimated).

There's a very active thread on Head-Fi devoted to these:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820107/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones

Can you speak to the wood cracking "issue"? Does your pair exhibit that defect? Thanks!

So far no cracks. Then again my Sennheiser HD600 headband never snapped in half either after 6 years of heavy use.

I have no doubt that anchoring anything metal into wood is a structural weakness however I'm also not convinced that the people complaining aren't simply the kind of hamfisted people that destroy any headphone they get their hands on immediately.
(aside from replacing the padding my HD600s look new yet people complain about the paint chipping etc. What the gently caress are they doing with their headphones?)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have a pair of HD580s that are older than probably half the posters in this thread and they're still basically brand new looking, despite many, many, many drops and tumbles. I have no idea how the whole "hdxxx series are flimsy" thing came to be, because they're at least as durable as my equally old-as-gently caress 7506s. Maybe more so, since the sonys are getting a little floppy at the hinge.

Besides, as long as the drivers are fine, you can still get new cheap parts and replace them without even needing tools.

Totally.

If the wood ring on the M1060s does eventually crack I'll just use roof flashing to reinforce it. That stuff holds together anything.

Will let people here know if it happens but for now they're fine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I have a pair of AKG K7XX's that I tried once, still with original packaging. Anyone interested in buying them?

No because I still have my old made in Austria AKG701s that I both can't bear to part with but also can't bear to wear because of the torturous headband.
My first "proper" headphones that I equally love and loathe. I tell myself that one day I'll replace the headband with some ghetto arrangement but never do.

Did they ever fix that with the 7XXX or do you still need to tear it off your head and massage your crown after a while?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

No comment on the headband comfort? That was the main reason I think the AKG7 series fell out of favor.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Google Butt posted:

No, because I tried them once and put them back in the box as I impulse bought them after I had ordered my HD650s. I'm sure there are 12,000,000 reviews though.

I only asked because the headband design is substantively different on every iteration of the AKG7 series and because it's an older headphone design (and therefore not cool or something) nobody really talks about the current models in much detail.
Which is a pity because the earcup design and soundstage is amazing if only the headband wasn't made of bent clipboard.

Also good choice of alternative headphone. You can wear HD6-whatever's for hours comfortably.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

My 7XXs are extremely comfortable. Comparing only to ATX M40X and Sennheiser HD 598s, but my first impression was really going "Ohh" in a v. good way. I wear them for hours and hours at a time and and love it.

That's good to hear. If I ever get another pair of dynamics I'll keep AKG on the list of considerations because the 701 earcups were really something else.

Also been using my M1060s very heavily since I got them and still no cracks in the wood or problems with the mmcx connectors so far.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 8, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

The M1060 listing only shows that they're 50 ohms - are those in drive range for most devices without an amp? I know they're open back, but it's still interesting from a travel pair protective.

Very good question!

To test this I just pulled out my battle worn Sony MP3 player (doesn't have a name, just a long model number and I bought it about 5 years ago or so. Was premium at the time but nowhere near as insane as their current high end mobile devices)
It's an NMZ-S755 if that means anything to you.

It works surprisingly well! It's lacking a bit of the dynamic range my Jotunheim can provide because of course but will you enjoy it? Hell yes. Punchy bass, clear highs etc. Usual hi-fi lingo bullshit applies.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Oh the M560s? Yeah that was my original plan until I realised the M1060 release was imminent because I wanted to experience planar and I have a big fat head so large earcups are totally my thing.
(this is also why I admire the AKG7-whatever earcups so much)

So far I really like the planar sound signature vs dynamic. So tight. Or precise, whatever.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Ok gently caress it, day 5 with the M1060s after very heavy usage. No cracks, the mmcx connectors are still rock solid, etc.

I think the initial scare reports were either the unlucky few with some defective units or the hamfisted headphone smashers / cord yankers who break literally everything not made of solid die cast spring steel.
You know the type. You see them on YouTube talking all about the things they keep breaking whenever they get a new thing to unbox.

Pretty confident my pair isn't going to fail anytime soon so I've ordered some Audeze leather pads because I hate synthetic leather in contact with my skin.
(don't get me wrong - stock pads are very comfy but I'm a leather & memory foam supremacy snob)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

M. Propagandalf posted:

Anyone familiar with Audio Technica's warranty in Canada, which requires you send your headphones to JAM Industries in Quebec?

The arm on my ATH-M50x popped out of its socket, and pulled a bit of the wire with it. While the headphone still works without issue, the wire is getting increasingly stressed/exposed.

I've sent a Return Authorization Request, and they've given me a slip back, with the reply:

How lenient is their warranty? I'm wary that I'll be paying S&H to ship it, only to eventually be told "Nope, warranty won't cover this. That'll be $100, plus labour, parts, and return shipping, if you want it back." If that's the case, I'd be better off not sending it at all.

Here's how bad it looks:

http://imgur.com/a/NEPhK

I've tried to hold the wire in place with putty, but the arms still continues to pop off from time to time, pulling the wire.

No idea personally but it looks like a clear case of "not fit for purpose" AFAIK.

If you were in Australia you'd have zero trouble getting a new whatever it was with a picture like that. I hope you attached the picture with your RMA request.

I've RMA'd a logitech mouse with far less physical issues than your headphones without issue so as long as your warranty is still in date then I don't think you have anything to worry about except perhaps the inconvenience while you are lacking your headphones.
(To be specific I RMA'd it because the thumb grip rubber was getting worn. Which is petty but it was also a premium priced mouse at the time so I wasn't happy about it)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Ooh. A PM-3 owner. I have a question for you.

How well do your ears fit inside the cups? I've heard they can be somewhat on ear rather than over ear despite the largish looking cups because the pads are fairly wide.
Is that accurate?

I just ask because I can't stand to wear IEMs for very long anymore but I can wear comfy over ears basically all day and I don't have a good closed set.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

D1E posted:

I'm with you on IEMs. I bought the Oppos for that exact same reason, besides having perfectly competent IE80s for mobile use/outside my house. I have fairly large ears, and had the same concern when I saw the PM-3s out of the box. The earpads look tall and narrow, but they're entirely circumaural for me, and quite comfortable. Of course everything is relative, so you might have gigantic ears and they wouldn't be the best fit for you. They probably have the best build quality of any cans I own. That said, they also are decidedly the most neutral and have the narrowest soundstage - although that makes sense because they're closed. The sound is technically fine, but I have discovered I never choose them when I'm at home - I think I just significantly prefer open headphones now. They're great to have to take with me anywhere else though, as you and I both know that something like the M1060s would be like listening to a boombox in public.

Good to know, thanks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Mephiston posted:

Getting in on IEM chat while it's hot..

Budget - ~$50aud
Source - Samsung Galaxy s5 or Ipod Touch
Isolation Requirements - I would prefer it, yes please.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - I'd like a fair bass response, and as little muddiness on the mids as possible, but I know that my price bracket wont get me far.
Past Headphones - Creative EP-630 (they came with my X-fi 2, and they were loving awesome)
Preferred Music - Heavy metal, rock, ambient electronica (some sub-bass is involved)

Just a note. I loved the hell out of my EP-630s The sound quality wasn't fantastic on the mid and treble, but they were really decent for bass, and they lasted 6 years of daily use. I'm really just considering getting another pair, but I figure I'd pop in here and ask you folks first, in case you had a better suggestion. I did run through the thread, but a lot of the model numbers people are chucking out are just going over my head.

I don't know if I can be of much help but when I bought my Sony MP3 player some years ago the bundled IEMs were shockingly good at isolation and noise cancellation.
In fact I still have them to this day carefully stashed in a drawer.

Check out their online store because they have a bunch of IEMs at around the $50 AUD mark. See if the reviews are any good for your needs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Mephiston posted:

I found this link comparing a few different IEMs for around the same price. Any thoughts? I don't know if that site is any good, but it seems okay.

Just as an aside, could someone explain what the deal with speaker diaphragm is, if a bigger or smaller one is better for sound quality and, more importantly, whether its of any importance to non-audiophiles.

At that price point so long as you're not buying House of Marley you'll probably get acceptable sound quality (HoM are loving shithouse).
Audiophile stuff simply doesn't happen at the $50 price point so don't worry about any of that.

Worry about two things:

1) cable microphonics (does rubbing the cable make a ton of audible noise inside your ears?)

2) does it include alternate larger/smaller tips for the IEM so you can customise the fit a bit more for your personal ear canal size preference?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

D1E posted:

Update on my Monoprice Monolith M1060s: the wood on the right earpiece just audibly cracked (literally - I was listening to music and heard a snap) right the at point where the headband is joined to the earpieces. Only the rear joint of the right earpiece is cracked so far, and it's sufficiently small right now that you probably wouldn't notice unless you specifically looked for it.

That said I don't plan to return/exchange them unless the crack expands sufficiently that it becomes a real structural concern - at this point it is a minor aesthetic issue. However, I did want to clarify that the issues reported on Head-Fi do appear to be real. These headphones have literally only been in two places since I received them: on my head or in the included case. I haven't so much as set them down anywhere else, and I have been exceedingly gentle with them because I was aware of the concerns to begin with. To reiterate: I received them literally two days ago.

Well that sucks. Dry geographic location? I've heard the wood might not have been sufficiently treated for all environments.

If mine crack the plan is to put a tiny amount of wood putty into any gap then use a thin strip of roof flashing tape as a sealant/band aid. Into the second week of heavy usage with no issues though so my pair might be ok.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Anyone know any good PC gaming-friendly headsets for a large-headed goon? I got these Plantronics 760 that just exploded one day while just sitting and listening to a podcast. Same for a pair of Logitech G3-somethings before that.

Corsair Void. Good bass, good spatial awareness and comfy with a decent unidirectional mike.
Earcups are pretty deep and large.

It's great for gaming but terrible for music because it's simply not tuned that way.

Wired version should keep you under budget too.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 17, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Also if you aren't scared off by the dodgy quality control and bag yourself an M1060 in the next production batch in April don't be dumb and buy yourself a fancy custom cable just because the stock one is a mere 4ft long.

You can get a 3.5mm extension cable for the price of two take away coffees in most stores that sell electrical things that make noise. Mine is 4m long which is crazy too much so I looped most of it back up with the twist ties it shipped in.
(was about ten bucks Australian)

I guess I could spend a couple hundred on a fancy handmade cable from overseas with carbon fibre rare metal plugs and poo poo but I'm not sure I'm ready to be the kind of coffee shop / hipster bar wanker who has exotic cables plugged into their obscure portable music player.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 17, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm getting into headphone amps so I decided to try the smorgasbord option of a Soundblaster E3 so I can figure out what features I will use of something like this and what I won't. I use it with my PC, PS4 and iDevices but my question is, should there be any difference in sound quality between connecting it to the PS4 via USB or optical? USB would be the most convenient since it would power it too and could make use of the mic if I ever wanted to, but part of my brain thinks optical sounds better when I switch them back and forth. I don't know why that would be since they're both digital and transmitting uncompressed audio data, right? I've been using Audiotechnica Air 700 and Sennheiser 558 headphones.

edit: I'm not enough of an audiophile yet that I care about cosmic radiation interfering with the USB cable or whatever, just whether the PS4 would be compressing the audio data through the USB connection without my knowledge or something.

The big secret is that while your headphone, amplifier and source quality are a big deal your actual cables are not. Other than length I guess but extension cables are cheap as chips.

If you wanted to go full ghetto you could wire it all with old rusty coat hangers if you really wanted to. Nice cables are just a convenience thing (also nicer ones are less prone to kinks & twists but that's about it).

First thing (which is vaguely free?) is to get/rip your music in FLAC format from now on because that definitely ups the quality at the cost of storage space. Not a big deal unless you like filling your pocket sized mobile devices.
Anything MP320 or whatever will still sound good mind you, just the lossless part of FLAC is a thing.

This is also dependant on the mastering quality of the album which is a thing you'll eventually care about but that's more late stage addiction.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 19, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Got my expensive dumb snake oil cable for idiot suckers in the mail today. Specifically a garish braided orange and yellow custom made balanced 4-pin XLR cable for my HD600s.

It's uh... very noticeable going A/B with the old cable. In short same volume level gets you more output with less interference so you can go higher (perhaps dangerously higher) without the slightest background hiss if you kill the volume.
It could be positive bias but I'd swear imaging per channel is better too.

Fun fact: ordering this bling hand made cable from the UK and importing to Australia was still cheaper than buying the official Sennheiser branded one locally because of our national retail distribution markups.
Kind of like how it's notoriously cheaper to fly overseas to the USA and buy a copy of [high end Adobe product] off the shelf, stay overnight and fly back than it is to just buy a copy locally.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Hi

I currently have the Sennheiser HD 800s with a DAC/Amplifier that does the headphones justice. That being said I feel like trying out/auditioning a couple of other headphones around the same price range.

Does anybody have any recommendations? I already have the Audeze LCD-3s on my list.

Preferred Music: classical, ambient, instrumentals, sometimes electronica, basically the usual stuff.

Time for you to hit the big (expensive) league and investigate electrostatics.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Mmm yes this headphone is very warm and liquid, it makes the music velvety plush and rounds off all the sharp edges.

"What makes it sound so good?"

Well it could be the endangered african hardwood, the genuine rare turtle leather padding, the extremely shiny silver wire mined from underneath antarctica by a mole miner but mostly it's the price. The price makes it sound that good.

"What's the price?"

I'm sorry I was writing it down but my pen ran out of ink.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Some of these terms might mean a thing but you should endeavour to string together as many at once regardless of what they actually mean when describing how awesome your new skullcandy headphones are.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 1, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

unorthodox question: where can I get the inner breathable foam sheets that headphone pads use? Talking about these things here:

The ones that came with these pads work fine for the time being but there's something distracting about having them just completely flush with the aperture so any amount of give causes them to buckle. I could have sworn I saw some aftermarket items for this kinda stuff when I was searching for the pads in the past, but now I can't seem to find anything. Either individual already cut pads or just a sheet that I can cut out properly sized circles would be fine.

Either that or if someone could help me out with getting my hands on proper replacement pads for full size audio technicas for the US then that'd also be real fine.

Unless you want to muck about with foam thickness and density from an unknown source I'd just buy from the manufacturer. I'd imagine they would include it with replacement ear cushions.

That being said no harm in just substituting a circle of felt or some similar cloth instead if you wanted to try.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

the manufacturer no longer sells this line of headphones in america, nor its replacements parts. that second part of your post is what I was looking for, if there was any sort of bulk sheet of felt i could buy and cut out of.

You should be able to just walk into any shop that sells sewing supplies & fabric and buy whatever you're after by the metre.

Dunno what part of the world you're in so I can't recommend any particular store.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Lube banjo posted:

Which ohm version did you get anyway? I see they have a 16 ohm out now but I'm wary

also, would a Schiit stack improve my Fidelio X2s if I've just been running them from an old Auzentech Prelude? It was a top soundcard for a while, and doesn't have a problem getting enough volume

No experience with X2s but when I upgraded from my old Fubar IV+ amp to a Schiit Jotunheim my HD600s had a distinct imaging improvement.

It's a kind of answer I'm afraid because once you start down the road of upgrading your audio chain it's really going to depend on how everything else is going. If you're listening to 192kps MP3s then the difference is probably going to be very minor - if any. Conversely if you're an active listener who knows your lossless FLACs by heart then you might notice a difference right away.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Teal posted:

Is there such a thing as good ~$100 bluetooth headphones in the year of lord 2017?

I already have HD280 Pros for homely listening and I absolutely love them, but they are pain in the rear end to take on the commute and I have 2 devices - work notebook with hosed up jack out and a phone (Lenovo Phab 2 Pro, do not buy) with a really really lovely sound out (the HD280s crackle in left channel with certain frequencies from the phone, but sound perfectly fine in anything else).

I would prefer full over ear headphones, open or closed. Bias to bass if anywhere.

You might want to look into whether or not some kind of cheap ~$100 USB/mobile DAC/amp will be better than a $100 pair of BT headphones because BT adds a premium so I don't know what kind of quality you're going to get after that comes out.

Your usage case is probably the best example of needing a USB DAC I can think of - your devices can't reliably output sound using the onboard hardware. A bottom dollar DAC should suffice for your notebook as a replacement for a stuffed 3.5mm port but when it comes to stuff you plug into a phone I have no advice to offer.

Alternative: maybe give up entirely and buy a $100 digital audio player and just listen off that?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Teal posted:

I like to commute relatively lightly, the idea is to haul less, not more.

About where do the worthwhile bluetooth headphones start, cost wise? What's the cheapest you would recommend as worth the money? $100 was just ballpark for what I considered as "bearable but disposable", if $150 can get me "good and reliable" or $300 "great and will last for a decade" then that's all options I would consider.

I spent years going to work with nothing more than a lightweight digital audio player and IEMs because I could compress the whole package into one pocket and forget it existed whenever I wanted. I've since gone right off IEMs though but I'll blame that on age and my ear canals getting more easily irritated.

To be honest I don't have any strong recommendations for BT headphones because if I was at home I'd be using wired from an amplifier and if I was out and about I would want situational awareness and accept or even desire compromised noise isolation as a result. If I wanted BT IEMs I'd maybe get entry level BT Sonys? But in that price range I don't think it matters where you buy from.

That being said the most important thing isn't build quality, sound quality or anything else like that. It's comfort and safety. How much do you like wearing a thing for 30-90 minutes? Or album/commute length? Is your intention to wear them all day at work? How about when you walk instead of sit on a train/bus? Is your physical safety an issue while you rock out on your commute?

Then you need to factor in your physical ear size. Get a ruler and physically measure your ear height and width. You want earpads that are a few mm larger in all diameters if you're easily irritated by things touching your ears. (this is a huge issue for me personally so I spent some dollars building an earpad collection until I discovered the endgame wonders of ZMF oval cowhides). If your ears are going to be "cozy" or slightly squashed in your desired headphones earpads then that is a huge ergonomic red flag and you need to either make an alternative selection or look to aftermarket earpads.

Oh - my policy would never be to buy high end portable headphones or IEMs. They're portable. They're going to be going through a lot of stresses in your pocket, bag, etc. Expect something nasty and unplanned to happen to them eventually. The nice things you keep at home and don't shove in a pocket will probably last many, many years and this isn't a factor for those sorts of purchases. Just assume anything portable is functionally disposable in the longer run but home stuff is for keeps.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 21, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

M1060's arrived today. They feel great but haven't listened to them yet. The pads are SOOO soft and plush. Was expecting a hard pleather.

Ohh man these sound great, the bass is sooooo smooth.

They're pretty fun. Just treat them delicately as that mahogany ring is really thin due to the massive drivers.

Really wish designers would stop using wood for areas put under physical stress just because it looks nice, I'd happily take plastic or aluminium instead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Anybody have an opinion on the Sennheiser HD 471 headphones?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015Y4K6PK

I got them extremely discounted ($45 Canadian) but haven't gotten to try them yet, and am curious what other people might think

Not a clue sorry. Nobody seems to have published measurements yet. (at least none of the places I visit) Once had a pair of... 415s I think? They were good but I gave them to a family member years ago.
Assuming they're just "better" than the HD451s there is a frequency response chart of those on innerfidelity which suggests a strong bass response across the board.

So... unrelated. I made an extravagant audio purchase recently because I accomplished a long term goal and wanted to reward myself. Bought a Final Audio Sonorous III - it's basically the budget version of their flagship headphone (the X), only it costs less than a tenth of the price of that solid titanium & gold monster only an Oil Sheikh would probably own.

I think I'm done with looking at new headphones ever again. This does everything. It has a wide sound stage, excellent mid range, thumping sub bass and slightly rolled off treble so the highs don't fatigue. Crispy clear all the way.

Now the stock pads are circular and shallow with only ~53mm for your ears in all directions which wasn't ideal for me, so (with a bit of struggling) I stretched on my Brainwavz HM5 angled lambskin pads and now I can't even feel them on my head. Just the sub bass and the nice firm clamp cushioned by thick memory foam.
If you had smaller ears then you could probably just stick to the otherwise excellent stock pads. The headband is also incredibly wide and plush by default so no worries there.

Fuuuck why aren't these more popular aside from the price? I'm assuming that "Japan" and not being in the usual supply chains. I bought mine over the internet from the sole Australian distributor.

I guess they might look weird to people too with that cup design. http://final-audio-design.com/en/archives/2712

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 10, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

I've been curious about these, after hearing about how great the M1060s are. Are these 2/3 as good? Significantly better than Senn 598SEs? I'd use them open 95% of the time.

I currently own a HD599 (bought on a flash sale at the start of the year, I'm going to give it to a family member who will actually use and enjoy it when opportunity permits) and a M1060 so I can give you a direct comparison since I've A/B'd them.

I won't bother describing them aurally in detail but the M1060 basically obliterates the 599 in every way possible except weight. And I guess reliability/durability.
It's a complete non contest.

The 599 is nice enough in isolation but horrifically overpriced at full price. Even if the massive discount I got mine for was actually standard retail it would still not be worth the money.
An MSR7 obliterates it too so I assume the M40x (never heard one) would be better value still on that pole, even if you bought aftermarket ZMF pads at additional cost.

I would describe the 599 as a good solid evolution of an obsolete branch of headphones because it needs an amp to sound good despite the low impedance. The M1060 can drive well on nearly anything.
(seriously I think pretty much nobody is buying the HD599 because that market segment has better offerings - you don't offer flash sales that big so soon after release unless the product just isn't moving)

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I'm in the market for some new high impedance headphones. Currently, I am rocking BrainWavz HM9's at work, and I love them, but I feel like I could do better, especially at home and the gym.

I have an LG V20 which can drive high impedance, and I am not against having to get an amp for my PC either at home.

My budget is around 300 (give or take 50$) for some good high impedance headphones. Any recommendations would be welcome!

As a side note, I am drooling over the HD800S, even though it would be really irresponsible to buy them.

If you want something for gym work then I'd suggest IEMs unless you want to replace your ear pads frequently because your ears will be dripping with sweat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

What's a nice pair of office-friendly (closed I guess?) headphones for like... sub-$150? They're gonna be plugged into a Lenovo laptop, so I guess maybe I'll need a USB DAC as well?

Probably a few options but unless you can see another reason you're likely getting an Audio Technica M40X.

If you find them uncomfortable spend the savings on a pair of brainwavz HM5 earpads for them. Leather or protein leather for the isolation.

Or you could probably get some IEMs and a sub ten dollar 3.5mm extension cable so the portable cord isn't an issue for desk use.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

What is protein leather?

The fake stuff. Not lambskin or cowhide.

The material affects sound signatures in different ways but ultimately the fake stuff is cheaper so that's what you get most of the time unless you go aftermarket or get something sufficiently fancy stock.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Ashex posted:

The pads on my MDR-V6s started coming apart so I bought a replacement set off Amazon for 2. Finally put them on and they just feel terrible and the sound is way off.

I bought mine second hand so I don't know what types of pads were on there but the guy had replaced them just before I got it. Any have a suggestion on some nice soft pads that keep the neutral sound of the headphones?

Email Sony and see if they still stock replacement parts since it's a professional line product.

I could suggest plenty of alternate ear pads but they're all going to alter the sound signature and cost more. A lot more.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Ashex posted:

I'm 100% certain they're not the stock pads as the guy told me he had changed them but I can't remember the name (I got these 5 years ago). If the MSR7 pads don't work out (which I hope they will) I may just jump for Beyerdynamic pads as I've heard about people using those.

If the MSR7 pads don't work out but you're still keen on the headphones themselves try some Brainwavz HM5 protein leather (or lambskin, whatever you prefer).

HM5s fit extremely well on the MSR7, which is something I had to do when the stock pads were too small for my ears. Would recommend non-angled pads though unless you have Prince Charles ears and need the extra depth - assuming the drivers in your Sonys behave the same with regards to how distance to ear affects the presentation.

(then again if you don't mind losing some bass impact and want more sound stage, get angled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm sure this is a super boring question for this thread but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

NewFatMike posted:

The 50X have bass boost, which is fine if you prefer bass, but it kind of pulls them out of reference territory. I believe build and quality are all the same, but the 50X charges you $30+ for the bass boost.

Have only had the 40X, so that's just what I've learned from reading around, someone here may have more experience.

They didn't quote your question but I'm pretty sure it was directed at you. It's good advice too.

To use more longhand it's the Audio Technica ATH-M40X / M50X.

If you want "all the above but also brighter" then you want the ATH-MSR7 but it carries a significantly higher price. All of them can be pad swapped easily if you're into that or want to improve comfort.