Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Midorka posted:

In all honesty the HD555 deserve a decent amp, at least an E10. I think they sound like poop without one.
That's really odd, because everything I've ever heard about the 555/558 is that they have very high efficiency and don't require an amp to sound good. The very first 555s were some higher resistance, but the almost everyone has 32 ohm ones. At the time a ton of reviews pointed to them as the perfect starter audiophile headphone that could still work fine straight from a mp3 player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hello headphone thread. I have a pair of HD555s that aren't working. Since they're like 12 years old that's not crazy, but I can't figure out why they're not working.

First of all, they're not my main headphones anymore and haven't been for several years. They mostly sit on a shelf, I think I last used them like 9 months or a year ago. Don't really remember, but I don't remember them being broken. Though maybe they were, I might have just blamed the 3.5-1/4" adapter and put them back with a "I'll get around to buying a new adapter later".

Anyways, adapter is fine. And I took them apart, the cable wiring is all fine. I don't really know enough about headphones to diagnose anything but a broken connection -- and that's how 100% of my headphones have always gone bad in the past. So continuity testing with a multimeter is green all the way to the driver. Everything that I know what it is looks ok.

And they're completely dead, no sound whatsoever, both ears. So I'm kinda mystified.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DancingShade posted:

No definite answer for you but check that the jack on whatever you're plugging them into is still working too. Even ports can wear out eventually.

jack is fine, and I tried them in multiple devices

what happens to headphones when they're "blown out"? would that be the symptom of complete failure like this?

I don't listed to loud music at all, but more than once I accidentally plugged them into the mic port on my laptop, which they did not seem happy with. Makes a loud popping sound, and I guess it would be feeding them DC current? Maybe I did that the last time I used them and it was the last straw?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm looking for recommendations for a friend who wants pretty much the opposite from what I like in haedphones, so I have a hard time knowing the options.

closed-back, preferred over-ear
$30-60
built to survive abuse. this is a person who is casually destructive to his own stuff.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I. M. Gei posted:

The Amazon reviews for the Sony WH-1000XM3s say the same thing, sooo...

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I have the 1000s, and switching them between my phone and my iPad requires me to explicitly disconnect them from one device and connect with the other. It's not fun, but it's not really a pain in the rear end, unless you need to do it a whole lot.

I also have 1000s, all you have to do to switch connections is turn off the bluetooth radio for whichever device you are using and on with the one you want to switch to. Don't disconnect or unpair them. The headphones themselves remember their pairing with 3 devices (I think? I only have 3 and iirc saw 3 somewhere). If it sees multiple radios it chooses the one it was using most recently.

So as long as you switch by turning the radio off, the phone/pc will still try to connect to the headphones the next time.

I don't find this at all a hassle, but I also keep bluetooth turned off on my phone most of the time. On android and windows turning the radio on & off is two touches / clicks so switching is quite quick.