Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes: Looking for a recommendation on Bluetooth/ANC headphones.

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD1s, after reading reviews on Wirecutter; going to return it because it's uncomfortable: It's marketed as over-ear, but uses an awkward-sized earcup that's part-way between over and on-ear. Ie partially rests on head, partially on ear.

The HD1's sound is muddier and not as balanced as the Sennheiser 598s I've been using for years, but much better than the Skullcandy Grind it replaced. The HD1's wireless convenience, and ANC are delightful.

Are there any wireless/ANC headphones that are as comfortable as the 598?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I may pull the trigger. My roommate has a pair of Bose QC35; I tried them today after receiving the HD1s and noticing they don't fit; the Bose was comfortable. Given that I'd us these more for lectures than music, where comfort and NC are the priority this may be my best option. I expect to keep using the 598s at home.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 22, 2017

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

They both fit pretty similarly, the Sonys might be a bit more annoying for people with big ears.
Could you clarify please? Ie, are the earcups on the Sony small, like on the HD1? I can verify that the Bose has normal-sized/comfortable cups.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank you for the detailed info!

Ordered the Bose; seems ideal for my use case.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 25, 2017

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

NFX posted:

All reviews I’ve read suggest that the Sony ANC is very close or even better than the Bose, and it feels weird to me tha no one would’ve mentioned this difference.
Sounds similar to my reaction about the HD1s having tiny/uncomfortable earcups.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

grack posted:

Yes. The reason people don't mention it in reviews is because you only hear it when you're not listening to music, and if you're not listening to music why are you buying headphones?
Watching videos, taking classes, audiobooks, etc. White noise is a problem when its competition is a single voice.

Is the noise less distracting than the background noise the ANC/closed-design blocks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Got the Bose QC35 and put it to use. Rough comparison between it, Senn HD1, and Senn 598

Comfort
Senn 598 > Bose>>>> Senn HD1

Sound quality
Senn 598 >> Senn HD1 >> Bose

Noise blocking
Bose QC35 > Senn HD1 >>>>> Senn 598

Overall: Outstanding for doing work / watching lectures in a noisy setting.