Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

doomisland posted:

I need a guiding hand on my sound set up and this seemed the most appropriate thread. Right now I have audio out from the PC to a Lepai 20W amp I got 8 years ago. These power some old passive Polk Series II (80W) monitor speakers I have on my desk. When I want to use headphones I just use the case headphone output and it switches over. Bing bong so simple. I want to add in a dac/amp stack to this and wanted some clarity on pre-amp outs I'm seeing on the amps. Is is possible to have have PC -> DAC -> H. Amp (preout) -> Speaker Amp -> Speakers? Then if I plug in headphones into the headphone amp it'll suppress the pre out and sound only will come out the headphones? For general kit pricing I was looking at the Schiit or JDS Labs stuff to keep it within 200-300 dollars for the stack. Probably will upgrade to better headphones as I use 7506s now.

So would a JDS or Schiit stack work as described here or am I missing some bits? It reads like pre-outs are always sending out audio so i would have to shut off the speaker amp to not have sound coming out both speakers and headphones.

Nope you had it right. They should work as described

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
KOSS electrostats are $400 on Drop if you want something weird

tbh Id much rather have 3 $400 cans that are weird and different than one $1200 set of headphones

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think they're out of stock right now, if not then it's still only the 220v one.

Also the energizer it comes with sucks rear end. Tbh it's still an INSANELY good deal for the price but you're better off just getting a decent pair of dynamics or planars.

that bad? I wanted a pair bc I think they look dope

but I had heard about people upgrading to other brands of energizer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It doesn't have enough juice for the headphones. The already gentle bass is just way too mousy and the rest of the experience comes out thin. It doesn't get any louder than a very moderate volume.
If you replace the energizer they're STILL amazing for $400 even if you factor in that you're just tossing the energizer in the corner, - they sound fantastic - but it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the "cheapest electrostats you're gonna find complete with amplification" thing that made them so appealing in the first place, especially because energizers are expensive even if you're getting second hand ones.

yeah, but ‘electrostats for $400 + free energizer’ doesn’t sound that bad. But I see your point, energizers are like $900+ so you’re basically committing to getting some Stax in the future as well and at that point...well why 2 sets of electrostats?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The HD800 had sharp treble and resonances from what I heard. The HD800S revision is not nearly as punishing. Many Beyerdynamics are harsher.
Most criticisms I see of the HD800S revolve around a lack of bass and that the expansive soundstage and very distinct imaging means that they aren't super versatile and thus are subpar for certain genres, which I can substantiate from my own experiences. They really, really exacerbate bad production in otherwise great albums that sound good on less hyper detail oriented systems.
Sad Wings of Destiny for example, sounds like utter poo poo on them, whereas on the LCD-X it still carries the right energy despite the junky production.

If you want a pair of headphones that gets close to the HD800S in broadness and imaging, but that have a more versatile sound with significantly more bass in a similar price range, I highly recommend the HiFiMan Arya. It has some of the broadest soundstage I've heard in a pair of headphones and with a proper, high power amp the bass response can do some real work (they're deceptively hard to drive). The Arya has made it very difficult for me to really justify using my HD800S the majority of the time - I mostly pull them out when I'm listening to classical or jazz.

The HD800S are considered by a lot of people to be the creme de la creme of the $1400-2000 bracket, but I often feel that's usually reinforced by audiophiles you find during Google searches gushing over how great and detailed they sound playing their audiophile collection of very audiophile records done with audiophile-level sound engineering. They're absolutely amazing in that respect, but they are not the end all, be all for me in terms of making music sound enjoyable. I'm glad I have them, but they're beat out by other pairs I have when it comes to being a daily driver.

I wouldn't say they're divisive, mostly just over-represented since they're often seen as THE endgame headphone above all over endgame pairs, which isn't really true.

The 800 series is like a two-seater supercar. It’s the tops at what it does, but the things that make it special can also make it uncomfortable, annoying, and limiting in other use cases, and you’re going to want to have another, different, probably much cheaper, car around.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I always have my windows volume at 100% and moderate the volume down to an actual listeniable level using my amps.

Depending on your source that can be a little too hot for a lot of line ins, so a lot of my devices are happiest at like ~80-90% and then volume attenuated with the amp.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

actually yknow what people need to own KPH30i and I'm gonna post about it

they sound better than literally anything else under $50 except maybe BLON 03s, and those are a whole other thing. They're absurdly comfortable, they weigh nothing and they cost $25. They have a lifetime warranty. They're the people's headphone.

Yes. I love my beige/blue/red cheap headphones, they’re super rugged (cable aside) and easy to deal with in a way that the Portapros just aren’t.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 14, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
yes, clearly a decade of extremely strong market performance is wrong :rolleyes:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Dumb question incoming: I used to own a pair of ATH-M30’s that I loved and lasted me a long time.

But eventually they started to break apart and I decided to upgrade. Now I’m looking at the M50X’s and can’t decide between the Bluetooth version or regular, for one one single reason: Does the Bluetooth version suffer from inferior audio quality when plugged in due to them being adapted to use wireless technology? As in, will the wired-only ones provide superior sound because it’s direct from source to headphone, with nothing in between to degrade fidelity?

I think having Bluetooth would be useful for watching YouTube videos, etc., but if having the tech shoved in there negatively affects wired performance, then I’d rather not.

I think a bigger downside probably is having a battery that’ll die after several months/years permanently shoved in there

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Hmm, yeah I never noticed sync issues when I’d watch YouTube videos or movies on Prime with my Anker Bluetooth earbuds.

Comboomer brought up a good point, though. I feel like I’d be wasting money on something that’ll eventually stop working long before the headphones themselves do. And I just realized I have to buy a patented Steve Jobs Dongle to plug it into my iPhone, which adds another $10 to a product I’m already iffy on.

I’m gonna go ahead and get the regular wired ones. I think they’re the better deal in the long run. Thanks guys.

The dongle’s pretty good, there’s a USB-C version that’s totally worth picking up if you need an inexpensive DAC that punches well above its weight.

For me personally, I have my set of Backbeats Fit which are coming up on like 3 years and still going surprisingly strong.

When they die I’ll probably look to replace them with something in the Apple/Beats ecosystem. Nothing really beats the convenience of Apple’s proprietary smart connectivity tech, and premium sound quality isn’t remotely my first priority with wireless headphones like that.

I primarily use wireless headphones when working out, puttering around in lab, doing chores/etc, and walking around outside. The convenience of having them automatically switch from phone to computer, etc without having to pair/unpair/disconnect/etc appeals to me.

Beats/AirPods audio quality is more than adequate for a commute and so forth.

I’m not going to shell out “reference headphone” grade money for something with a battery life expectancy measured in three years or less.

If I want to use fancy headphones that I intend to last me, I’ll get them wired. If that means using a dongle or one of the FiiO Bluetooth adapters then so be it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

Sure, but I want the complete package to last me 7+ years like my M40’s did rather than one part failing at roughly 2 to 3 while the other works fine, you know what I mean?

can’t wait for the day somebody using decade-old, long-dead wireless cans wired has their head catch fire when a years-old battery that everyone forgot about catastrophically fails

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
What’s the current consensus on all of the Audio Technica open headphones? Is there a favorite or one worth getting from a headphone collector/hobbyist standpoint (ie- you don’t need or expect it to be an all-rounder but you want it to be interesting)?

Even the R70x seems pretty old at this point. Did people ever decide if it was better than the AD900X or whatever?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I'm looking for a set of wireless earbuds to listen to music and podcasts with while I work outside. I'm going for the sweet spot between quality and being cheap enough that I'm not gonna be too upset when they inevitably get broken. Any recommendations or is this a go into a store and grab whatever looks good to you situation?

echoing what trem_two said, also I’d add some additional questions:

1) what systems do you plan to use them with? iOS? Android? Mac? PC? Just one thing or multiple? Do you expect to be jumping from phone to computer and back?

2) And are these only for yard work? What kind of yard work?

If you’re dealing with loud equipment like a lawnmower or blower you’re better off getting some purpose-built hearing protection. There’s stuff with wired and Bluetooth built in for pretty cheap, and it’s exponentially better for your hearing safety and personal comfort. Even the cheapest-sounding 3M noisepro beats the highest quality headphones when they’re fighting with a 120db motor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Whatever you do, don't follow all the sponsored youtubers and get Raycons. They are genuinely some of the worst earphones ever made and have a -+20dB swing in their frequency response

watching (non-audio) YouTubers whose takes I generally respect, and whom I generally consider credible and trustworthy, do an about-face partway through their 30 minute video on rightwing furry politics or whatever to robotically spread open their cheeks and fully dilate their assholes for Raycon has been way more jarring than any amount of phone strategy game or VPN provider bullshit

like by all means, get that bag and hustle what you gotta hustle to stay afloat—but it’s so hard to reconcile just how bad Raycons are with the earnestness of some of these pitches, especially when it comes from people whom you wouldn’t necessarily peg as particularly unprincipled or up for sale.

Obviously it’s a lot more complex than that, even under the most “at worst” circumstances. Like, ultimately I’m a hobbyist with 10+ years talking and thinking about this sort of poo poo and most people’s standards and familiarity with the market are gonna be way different from mine. A lot of people still shorthand BOSE as “high end home theatre” even though the truth to somebody who post here would be rather different. Most people don’t give a poo poo, and that’s probably objectively a good thing.

But that’s how bad and uncompetitive in their market these headphones are. Like they legit make me question the personal character of the people being tossed $2-5k to promote them, because they feel like a scam product.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 2, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

grack posted:

At what point do you look at a set of IEMs and think "Okay, maybe that's too many balanced armatures."

How about 15 per side?

https://www.linsoul.com/products/trn-ba15

those IEMs are halfway to becoming mechanical clocks, lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BrainParasite posted:

Budget - $120 or less.
Source - Bluetooth
Isolation Requirements - no preference, but I'd rather the squares at work not be able to hear my music or podcasts
Preferred Type of Headphone - no preference
Preferred Tonal Balance - Warm to balanced?
Past Headphones - Trident Dunu with foam plugs were my favorite. I've got some Sennheiser CX 175 which are ok. The Cambridge Melomania I'm replacing sound a little anemic at low volume, plus they're made of tissue.
Preferred Music - Doom Metal is the target, but I also listen to a pretty wide variety.

Etc: something that isn't going to die if it hits sweat or a sprinkle of rain.

What form factor do you prefer?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Argona posted:

Hey y'all, I'm trying to figure out what type of IEM/earbud type headphones would be good for both jogging/biking around the neighborhood and the gym. Right now I just use my good ol Portapros which are good for lifting at the gym but honestly they kinda suck for jogging and are naturally unusable with a helmet on. I have an iPhone so Airpod Pros are an option, but if there are cheaper/better options around, fire away. I don't mind wired IEMS, but my research of "google it" only gave me wireless options. They definitely need to be at least sweat resistant. I could probably just take out a bud out for bike/jogging if they're super sealing, but I'd like at least some noise cancelling/transparency mode instead, while I'm not planning on riding in traffic with these in you never know.

Budget - $200??? since thats the price of on sale airpod pros??? I guess???
Source - Mostly phone
Isolation Requirements - transparency mode or similar would be a big plus
Preferred Type of Headphone - specifically IEM/earbuds
Past Headphones - Portapros

I don’t use them, but I imagine that the PowerBeats Pro (or cheaper PowerBeats) clip on earbuds would be a much better iPhone fit for running/etc.

I really like my Plantronics Backbeats, but they’re an older model and I’ve heard that people don’t like the newer revisions as much.

But they’re designed to be semi-open to allow good ambient sound penetration so you don’t get plastered by a car that you couldn’t hear.

They were $50 at Costco, I really like em. I would wear them at work/in lab when I used to do that and now I wear them at home/out and about/while exercising. When they die, I’ll probably go with something made by Apple/Beats for the sake of convenience.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 21, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I don't know of any headphones that have a linux sticker on the box

new thread title

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

trem_two posted:

Actually I revoke most of my praise about the xDuoo TA-20. Now that I started using it all day today and tried different IEM sets, It hisses so incredibly much with most of my IEMs that it's useless. Even if I have no source plugged in, and I've tried many different power outlets and multiple surge protectors to see if maybe it was a grounding issue, no matter what it's just overpowering hissing.

It sounded fine with the headphones I was using yesterday when I unboxed the amp, but I normally use IEMs like 95% of the time.

E: ah it must be one of the tubes, realized that the hissing was actually just in the right channel, I swapped the tubes and the hissing switched sides. The joys of fussy niche crap!

have you swapped the original tubes on it? They’re probably gonna be noisier/crappier to begin with given that it’s like an inexpensive amp.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

redeyes posted:

They are generic chinese tubes. Get some RCA or GE or whatever.

yeah you don’t have to get deep into the weeds on tube rolling, as the returns start to get pretty diminished pretty quick, but swapping out the generic tubes for literally anything name-brand/decent will do a lot. At minimum it should fix your noise problem.

And if you do want to dip your toe into tube rolling, getting a few inexpensive quality pairs (or even like a grab-bag) isn’t a bad way to go either

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

The THX AAA amps are on sale on Drop, both the SE and ballanced ones. At 150$ the SE one seems like a steal and I'm still within my return window for my Topping L30.
I think I would get a bit more power than the L30 but otherwise the measurements I think are pretty similar.
I paid about 135$ (equivalent in JPY) so this would be about 30$ more after shipping.
Worth the trouble or should I keep the L30?
The L30 is mostly powerful enough for my needs unless I EQ my headphones and have to dial down the db, in which case the L30 needs to be on high gain mode.

Or I could upgrade to a ballanced set up with the big boy AAA but buying new cables and stuff would get pricey. Oh and of course a balanced DAC.

E: I was also thinking of upgrading to Sundaras in the next few months and was a bit nervous the L30 wouldn't be up to task.

holy poo poo thats an excellent price for that amp

the big boy AAA apparently isn't a "real" balanced amp (it goes unbalanced internally), IDK if that really matters or what the current consensus is

also expensive cables are bullshit, you can get high quality inexpensive ones or even make your own without much effort

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 16, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

Good to know, I think I'll be sticking with SE for now.
It's indeed a killer price for the One.
Just not sure if it's worth the hassle of returning my L30 (I calculated the shipping and it's about a 43$ difference over my L30).

sell the L30? might be easier

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm within my Amazon return window so it's definitely low hassle, but then I'll be waiting a week or so for the THX One to arrive.
I guess it comes down to if it will be a better pairing with the Sundaras when I get them down the road...?

I can't answer that unfortunately

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

also suck my dick, Midorka. glad that guy died.

wait......what?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Penon audio is pretty good, they're in HK.

e: i knew i should have mentioned the tanya but i kinda wanted to see how long it would take before redeyes kramered in with the rec

“no, not Denon. Penon. Pen-on. With a P. Whaddaya mean you can’t find it?”

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Hello thread, I'm looking to do 2 things that I'm thinking could maybe be 1 device:
1. A dongle DAC/amp that I can connect via USB C or Lightning to my phone, computer, iPad, etc.
2. A bluetooth receiver

I found stuff like the Fiio BTR3/BRT5 that seem like they would work but there's differing opinions about lightning compatibility. Does anyone know of other similar things? My headphones aren't particularly hard to drive so I'm mostly worried about it working smoothly and reliably with my mostly-Apple pile of devices.

Any reason why you aren’t just using the Apple lightning and USB-C dongles? They’re fragile as hell (I just broke my first lightning dongle after 8 months, probably gonna put some shrink wrap on my next one to try to reinforce it) but they’re also $9 a pop and they’re top-tier DACs especially for the money

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

aksuur posted:

Based on this, I picked them up yesterday. Trip report coming after the weekend.

if you want something with wings/hooks for exercise, the PowerBeats Pro have the same functionality, although they're tuned a bit more aggressively

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is there a common recommendation for wireless Bluetooth in-ear headphones for daily use including conference calls and bike riding?

In the past I’ve had a couple pair of BeatsX and they were perfect for the purpose, but I lost my latest pair in a move.

I was given a pair of first gen Apple AirPods, and while I like the concept of individual units, the original Airpod shape never fit my ear. Maybe the AirPod pros would resolve this? I’ve also seen that Beats has a similar high end offering.

Regardless it doesn’t have to be Apple or Beats. Brand is irrelevant and my real headphones are my HD650s at home. I just want something that sounds good on the go. Budget is <$300.

If you plan to do a lot of bike riding I would recommend something “semi-open” that allows for ambient noise to pass through, like the Plantronics BackBeat Fit line. I’m not saying that those are the best for your budget (I don’t actually know what’s really out there in the “semi open” category at the higher end), but just giving a reference.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I did see those, but I'm also kind of looking for an upgrade. The BeatsX were great, but I can afford to spend a little more for sound quality.

As for bike riding, I should have mentioned, I just meant mildly water-resistant. Most of my spinning is in the gym these days :(

PowerBeats Pro?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking for a recommendation, please. The wife's looking for some in-ear wireless listening to help pass the time while she's doing things on her own. Currently, she's using some off-brand Walmart Special Airpod-styled things that only last like 2 hours at a time. For the most part, she listens to either Spotify or various podcasts. Mostly, she just wants more battery life somehow, and is curious on what her options are.

Budget - Under $100 preferred. Budget options are best right now.
Source - pretty much solely a Samsung smart phone via bluetooth. The phone does not have a headphone jack.
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I guess either something that focuses on vocals, or balanced? We're both not really sure.
Past Headphones - We don't have specific model numbers, as she's not picky enough to have specific favorites apparently. She liked her current set just due to the ease of use.
Preferred Music - When I asked her this, she said "All kinds", which I get doesn't really help.

She's kinda being intentionally obtuse about answering some of the questions right now for reasons known only to her. It's a bit frustrating. I'm trying to recall what you'd call a set of earbuds/IEMs that are connected by a cable that has a battery and control buttons as a separate thing. I know I've seen those a while back, but don't recall seeing anything very recently. I think ideally, she'd be happy to be able to get like 6-8 hours of life out of something before it needs recharging, so I guess we'll start with that as a jumping off point. Are there any options that hit those marks?

Honestly I’d look at the Beats lineup if she’s ok with earbuds that have a cable going between them. It’s going to be hard to find quality “true wireless” buds under $100, but you can get Beats Flex for like $60. Spending a bit over your budget ($120-150) gets you Powerbeats non-pro, although you could probably score a set of Powerbeats Pro for under $150 on Black Friday/etc.

There’s also thread-favorite Plantronics BackBeat Fit, which can be had for anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on the model year. Never tried the “true wireless” ones but I remember hearing mixed-to-negative reviews, but my green-and-black $55 set with the band across the back from Costco is now 3 years old and still getting like 5+ hours of battery

They have a nice “semi-open” design to allow for some ambient noise which makes them good as an all-day/WFH set of phones

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
moondrop going in hard for that ZeosPantera crowd

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
apropos of ZeosPantera and anime girls, is there a thread consensus on how much of a pedo he is? A lot? A little? Not at all? A gimmick?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

What is this headband conversion?

probably something that belongs in the “ridicule audiophiles” thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arcsech posted:

Not exactly headphones but this thread will probably know: I’m working with a local community org on their tech stuff. They have a PC (Windows) being used for media and such, but the onboard realtek sound card is, predictably, poo poo and extremely noisy.

What’s the cheapest USB DAC I can get that will solve this problem? It doesn’t have to be great, just not buzz horribly, and it’s going straight into a line input on something else so I don’t need any real power here. But the budget is “it comes out of my pocket since they’re currently in the red this year”.

Does the PC have a USB C port?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You could spend ~$20-30 on a USB C PCIe card and $9 on an Apple dongle and that would still be a pretty excellent solution for the money

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

That's significantly more than the Sound Blaster, and this PC has all the signs of being a cheap laptop.

Never mind, go with the soundblaster

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

redeyes posted:

Nice. Does the stage have any depth?

your mom’s got a stage with depth

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
so who’s excited to drive some unspecified “high-impedance” cans with the new MacBook Pros?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

He is a clown but he’s one of the few reviewers capable of actually criticizing something when it has dumb usability quirks.

I’m still waiting for that dude to fully out himself, he pushes the whole “sexy pics of canonically underage anime babes” gimmick kinda far for it to be just a joke

RIP his cat, losing a pet like that sucks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Seriously this. They're a $20 or even less pair of clip-ons with a 60 Ohm impedance. You should buy like three of them though because they will disintegrate very very easily.

if you’re gonna spend KPH30i or PortaPro money on KSC75s you might as well get KPH30i or PortaPros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

uwimage posted:

Got the kid those headphones you all were giving me poo poo about not getting because he asked for them. They suck.

ah yes the Sennheiser 560S

famously a headphone that everybody in the know agrees sucks

lmao