Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

Takstar HI 2050 aka Technical Pro HPT990. If they look familiar, it's probably because they appear to be cheap Chinese knock-offs inspired by Beyer Dynamic DT 880's. I would have liked the real things because they just look so drat comfortable, but I don't think I can take the gamble due to the price.

I got these ones for $70NZD ($58USD) and was able to try them on first, so it wasn't much of a risk. I already said I preferred fabric over leather pads and wearing these just cement that opinion. The pads feel great and are really comfortable. The pressure on the outside of my ears is not super "heavy" either. It's perfect when the adjustable strap is completely extended, but my head is too small for them to be correctly supported that way unfortunately. I'm hoping the strap will get looser over time so it feels that way even when it's not fully extended.

As for the audio quality, I'm just a casual scrub and really not qualified to go into detail about it. I tried some classical music, chiptunes tracks and a couple of Star Trek movies, it all sounds fine. I couldn't notice anything obviously terrible.

ALSA Master volume is hovering on 50% volume and it's at a comfortable "background music" level. On the 3DS, putting the slider around 30-50% seems about right for normal operation in a quiet environment.

They are suppose to be "semi-open". I'm not sure what the functional difference between open and "semi-open" is suppose to be, so I guess I'll just describe the isolation of them as best I can. At a "typical" level (~50-60% volume) I can place them on the desk and not hear them in a silent room. If you go any higher then that, they start turning into budget speakers. At max volume, they can be heard in the next room.

If I can get the strap stretched out and loosen them up a bit more, I'll be really happy to keep these things around for quite some time.

Has anyone else tried these? I was recommended them by a guy in the Oculus/VR thread in games. I was looking at the Beyer's that've been recommended a lot in this thread but drat they are expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

quote:

Takstar HI 2050

So I picked up a pair of these and have them plugged in to the jack on the backplate of my Asus Z87-C motherboard. Unfortunately I'm experiencing a background hiss at any/all volume levels. Is this likely to be a faulty audio unit on the motherboard or do I have a bad pair of headphones, or should I set things up differently somehow?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

Try plugging it into another source, like a decent smart phone or mp3 player and see if you get the same result.

I am a loving retard. Thanks for pointing out the obvious test to me *facepalm*
Yeah looks like it's the sound unit on the motherboard. Kind of disappointed in Asus really. Wonder if I can put the old striker extreme sound card thing on this motherboard...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So it turns out the issue with my new headphones having a hiss when plugged into my PC was just the right channel. I updated the Realtek driver (it's an Asus Z87-C motherboard) and the hiss only occurs when I select 'headphones' in the realtek software that pops up when I plug them in to the audio jack. What the gently caress realtek :(
I am fine using the 'Front left and right speakers' option instead, but will this affect positional audio in games?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
There've been a few discussions over last few pages but no real results: does anyone have recommendations for in-ear bluetooth headphones, mid-range (£50 - £80 or so), that are decent?

My bro got me some JBL E25sfor Christmas which were all good until after 6 months they started falling apart due to constant use. Also they do have some annoyances like having to hold a button for about 10 seconds just to turn them on or off.

Anyhow Amazon refunded me the cost of the JBL's so I am just checking if anyone knows of better quality ones. I can't really see any alternative on Amazon at the moment that has the following:

6hrs+ battery life
Not total poo poo build quality/sound
Use case: everyday for music & radio/podcasts on commute

There are some Jaybird models, and that's a brand I've seen recommended in this thread, but most of them have crap reviews on Amazon? Maybe I should just go for the JBLs again and hope for a less lovely unit?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

BeatsX maybe? You can get em for about a hundred bucks in the US so that ought to be in your range.
Yep. Fair enough, they look spot on so I'll see if I can find some knocked down somewhere, cheers.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Someone earlier in the thread recommended BeatsX for a ~£100 pair of Bluetooth IEMs, but looking at the amazon reviews there are common hardware faults and plenty of other issues (including the battery life being a fair bit less than advertised for quite a few people). Anyone have any good alternative recommendations?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a recommendation for mid-range bluetooth IEMs? I have been using Anker Spirit Pro for the past year but managed to break one of the earpieces: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BMV5T2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They were decent and actually quite robust (I just managed break them by getting them caught on something in an unusual way, on one of the plastic parts), but I figure someone might have come out with something better in the past year? When I last looked it was surprisingly hard to find a set of mid-priced ones which actually have decent build quality, battery life and also good sound. The Spirit Pro's build quality + battery life were fine but volume was a bit low.

e: hmm it seems like everyone is recommending BLON 03's for IEMs, perhaps I should just go for those + one of the plugin bluetooth receiver things? Never used that kind of setup before

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 18, 2019

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

You could use the BLONs with a Moondrop Littleblack cable and have the drape-around-back-of-neck thing. I have been using mine like that some. All-in you'd be at like $60-70 and have great sound quality.
Thanks!

Weirdly the Littleblack doesn't seem to be available in the UK... there's one company that would ship it via Singapore but it would take 20 to 40 days.

Anyone know of other recommended Bluetooth adapter cables? I imagine there's a lot of poo poo out there, and there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of useful info. If I got something with only like 6hr battery life or crap amp, it would be a real pain in the arse.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1's? Fully wireless bluetooth IEMs. They have good reviews. Cambridge Audio has a pretty good rep, right?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^Thanks! Although the Soundcores are more like £150, so maybe I'll look at their range of wired Bluetooth ones instead as I assume I can get something better quality for the same price (with the inconvenience of the joining cable but to be honest I really don't mind that..)

e: gah, they aren't selling any midrange wired Bluetooth ones, just cheap stuff. I seem to go round and round in circles with this stuff.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 21, 2019

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
e: self owned

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone got any brand recommendations - I'm looking for decent quality/mid-range (£50-£100) wireless IEMs, preferably ones with silicon ear lock pieces (like the 'sport'-type IEMs tend to have, to keep them in your ears).

I see some stuff by Jabra out there, are they usually not poo poo?

I honestly find buying wireless IEMs a complete pain in the arse. Never seem to be any good mid-range options, only cheap poo poo or really expensive ones which still often have bad QA issues or just feature flaws (4 hour battery life etc).. hoping someone here can point me in the right direction this time!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Any in-ear bluetooth buds for phone - podcasts/music - that people would recommend right now? Looking for something under £100 ideally. I hate buying bluetooth earphones because there has always seemed to be a quality/price gap between £50-£150 where there's just nothing good between crappy £20 tinny rubbish, and very expensive £150 stuff.

Mostly I'm looking for something with vaguely decent quality and a decent battery life 6hrs+, which doesn't cost the earth.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Anker Soundcore Life P2... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SJR6HL3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

These are pretty good. Battery life is long, and the quality is at least 'vaguely decent'. £30!
Sweet, thanks. I actually ended up pulling the trigger on Jabra Elite 3 which looked like decent price point, though I've never had anything of that make so may return if they don't work out. I'm particularly worried about earbuds falling out of my ears lol, I have never had earbuds (as opposed to in-ear bluetooth phones with a connecting cable) before, and earphones of all kinds tend to fall out for me. So, we will see how things go.

I was very tempted by Sony wf-1000xm4's, which were going for £165. But apparently they only come with memory foam ear buds which cause some people discomfort and have fit issues, so I didn't feel like it was worth the tag.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
A few posts up someone recommended a set of Ankers to me

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I thought these Jabra earbuds would fall out, every wired earphones I've ever had kept falling out of my ears (including bluetooth with a neck wire). But these things are super light and I have had no issue with fit or them falling out at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone know a good basic set of wired over-ear headphones, with velour/similar fabric earpads, for general film/gaming/etc. PC use?

I have a broken as gently caress set of Takstar HI 2050's that I've been using for years. They are great. The thing I most care about is comfort, as long as audio quality is good (for a layman/non-audiophile).

It seems weirdly difficult to find something as comfortable as my old Takstar's. A lot of over-ear headsets seem to have either (a) round earpads (whose ears are round?? there must be some reason why people make them like this but it sure isn't comfort. I prefer something that actually encloses the whole ear. Maybe I just have big ears, ok.); and/or (b) really uncomfortable headbands, that are too small/squeeze the top of your head, or have a kind of suspended double-headband strap underneath the main headband which actually presses down even more on the top of your head.
As you can tell I know nothing about headphones.

Here's what the Takstar's look like, for reference: