Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wanna get the girlfriend good IEMs for her birthday. She's between the bundled buds with her iPhone and the ones with my S7 right now. I'd like for them to be wireless. She listens to some music (radio type poo poo mainly) and a whole lot of podcasts and YouTube junk like that. This is on her phone and laptop. Isolation would be cool cause when we get moved in together soon she may wanna drown out my racket especially if I'm playing guitar. If I can score something around $100 that's great but I'd be willing to go up around $200 CAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wouldn't dream of in ears for myself and certainly not Beats. I'm even considering upgrading my on-ears to over-ears. She is very practical and not the type to be like "you didn't buy me x brand for at least $x??". I saw Monoprice recommendations in other styles but all they really have is one pair thats $15. At least that would leave a lot of budget to buy her more stuff.

When I first bought a pair of bluetooth phones I got these Sennheisers that were regular $499 CAD on for $249. Absolute junk. Didn't feel good, battery didn't last, didn't sound good. Brought them back and got Klipsch ImageOnes which were regular $279 CAD and I've loved them ever since. They last forever, feel amazing on the ears but the sound could be considered too bassy for some.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you gotta spend to get a decent pair of earbuds? Gf has been using iPhone and now Samsung buds forever, she would like something that wont fall out when exercising or walking. I'd like to get her wireless but seems like you cant get much more than a few hours out of any set which is kinda understandable but she uses them a lot. So I think its gonna have to be wired. I'm a big Klipsch guy and I was gonna buy her the R6Ms but the sale I had my eye on is gone and I dunno if I wanna spend $79 (Canada) on the ones without the mic especially seeing a few reviews cite build quality issues. She's no audiophile but I don't wanna buy her crap either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No, like. She has headphones in for about that much every day. She would have to charge them every day. She upgraded from iPhone so the airpods are out.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I already got her a cheapo monoprice pair which she likes well enough except they don't stay in when exercising. And they only last like 4 hours. But I told them about the charge flap falling off and they sent us another pair so not bad for 11 bucks

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Those KZs look pretty cool. I had a look on BB and they've got a pair of Sony's on for almost half off and I got a $5 gift cert I need to burn from the closure of their rewards program so I'm gonna grab them for $20. They have some kinda android compatible app too. 90% of what she listens to anyway is youtube that should never be listened to by anyone (philip defranco for example) so I guess anything truly hifi would sorta be a waste. I'll spend what I save on more gifts for her birthday.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I asked here before but I need buds for my fiancee, $20 Sony ones I gave her in July are crapping out. Someone here recommended me a set from amazon(?) once, some unfamiliar brand name, I feel like they were translucent, or maybe just the cable was. Maybe none of them were! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Regardless, I need a recommendation. Should I just get the 10 dollar Philips special? She's no audiophile. I'd like to consider wireless but she uses the things so much, having to charge them literally every day can be tedious

okay, I think what I was talking about above were KZ headphones

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 28, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hey what were those things called, the replacements for earbud "squishies" as my gf calls them, that basically mould to your ear and you just push the earbud through them? I didn't dream that did I?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats it. I have a set of custom earplugs I got from a construction job years ago but they are pretty small, not sure if I could possibly make earbuds out of em. I want this for the misses anyway, she is the one who always says she cant get a good fit with the things that come on the earbuds.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Added the Fiio E10K to my amazon wishlist. Or is there something else I should be considering in that range? I've heard enough, I think I need a DAC for my desktop.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Then I gotta carry something else besides my phone? gently caress that right off.

you kidding me? That thing only has 32gb of storage? I have 21 on my phone at the moment just in audio, and I dont have a whole lot. Should have at least 64 and thats conservative. If you are paying that kinda cash for a dedicated music player in TYOOL 2019 you shouldn't have to stick sd cards in it

codo27 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 8, 2019

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Everything that comes my way now is in FLAC, aside from downloads from google play that I buy with money from doing google rewards surveys. But I've gone back and ripped my relatively small library. Thats big enough. Especially on the go. Sadly, life seldom lets me even enjoy my music the way I'd like.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are you really gonna tell me that Koss is still a thing in TYOOL 2019, and goons gently caress with it? Man, bringing me back to my old aftermarket deck I put in my parents 93 voyager. What a piece of poo poo (both)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

space marine todd posted:

Suggestions for wireless gaming headphones I can use with my laptop on the road? Some of them have some unwieldy base stations/dongles.

I just got the Arctis 3 bluetooth and I love em. I didn't charge them out of box, and have used them wirelessly for quite a while. I just enabled Window Sonic (the difference in the 2019 version) last night and it sounded amazing. I would like a little more punch in bass, but at the price I'm very happy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What are those Sony headphones that are so highly regarded? I have a quality AV setup, nice monitors for my office, I'm just lacking quality headphones. Not the biggest fan of earbuds, especially in how they remind me what a disgusting factory for wax I am

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Love my Steelseries Arctis 3 and they are comfortable on my big head for any amount of time, they just aren't super high tier quality sound, but definitely not bad. I wonder what the 7 or Pro are like. I know I'm better off getting a dedicated true set of headphones though, especially as I already have a condenser setup. Sound isolation isn't necessary, they will mostly be for home use.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got a set of cheapo wireless buds last year or maybe it was this year I dunno but I shoulda known the sound would leave me wanting. Klipsch just released an updated version of their buds in the zippo case so I picked up the original T5 on sale on amazon. Very happy so far. Gf always has trouble with earbud "squishies" but out of box they fit my ears fine, so snugly that I've had the rubber turn inside out when pulling out of my ear. But the sound detail is much closer to what I expect. One thing I noticed was listening to an old folk song and hearing the guys lips open before he began to sing.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

Budget - $150 - 200 (I'd really like to keep it under $150)
Source - I'm going to be plugging into my laptop, and my phone. I like to listen to music when I write, study, and draw. I also need it to be good for gaming, I play Overwatch and Dead by Daylight, and positional audio is Extremely important to me
Isolation Requirements - I do not need Isolation
Preferred Type of Headphone - I wanted the Circumaural, I will be wearing these for long periods of times, and the other kinds hurt my ears after a while.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I... Don't know. I think I like bass-y that thumps, but I don't honestly listen to Bass heavy stuff.
Past Headphones - I had the Earforce Z300, and then I had An Artic 7
Preferred Music - I dunno, I could just link my liked music on spotify? I don't really think about music that much, just whatever pops on spotify / pandora. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0RzawFhpdpdfEVgErINpoh?si=Z8JB_R34Tf2ONa6RqFYaVw

I tried to read the headphone guide in the OP but the link is broken.

So what would you recommend? I've never really been good at picking out headphones, so I have a few questions

Does just plugging into my computer's audio jack effect quality?
Can Bluetooth be quality, like if I connect to my phone or computer via bluetooth will that ruin anything?
What about USB/USB-C?

Everyone complains about audio in the latest call of duty. I find it great with my steelseries Arctis 3. And they are only the low end version

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Holy gently caress are they ugly.

Those board meetings must be interesting. "Realistically, we should charge x for this new device. But taking our mindless customer base into consideration, the MSRP will be double that"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I really like my Arctis 3 and I'm sure the 7/pro are great too but with a high budget you should consider dedicated, true audio company headphones and some kinda mic to complement that. Unless convenience is a big thing as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

the XM3 does not play nice with Windows 10 computers

Is it just these headphones though? I dont think Windows likes bluetooth for audio playback period. Ain't it about time bluetooth was just thrown in the garbage and somebody came up with a better wireless standard? Would it be that hard to outfit headphones and poo poo with wifi in TYOOL 2020?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Got the Blon 03s for gf for valentines day this year. She just pulled the cord out of one side (not where its sposed to detatch, just short of the connector). I'm honestly flabbergasted at the prices of replacement cables on amazon. What should I be looking for? This is not for an audiophile, just someone who listens to bad podcasts all day

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats fuckin great anyway as those ones are cheap af on amazon.COM but on amazon.:canada: they are 36.99 gently caress me right off

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm going to get the cable from aliexpress but I'm still a bit confused as to all the different standards. As long as its .78mm 2 pin should I be good? Because a lot of the titles are saying compatible with x/y/z and none of them say Blon

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Sony WF-1000XM4 or whatever it is are the gold standard, theres another Bose set that apparently competes but Klipsch is refreshing their T5 true wireless line and its sposed to include controls via head gestures. Dunno how thats gonna work. In USD they all should come in a lil over 200 I think? But thats all wireless

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think they're all the same thing except with different amazon no name junk seller titles on the listing? Aside from having mic or not.

Be careful of the cable! Gf pulled hers right apart quite easily and finding a replacement can be sorta tricky. I think they were easier to find in the US though, on Canada amazon they were like almost the same price as the drat headphones

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Was recommended to me here before, why dont you get a set of Radians custom earplugs and just attach that to whatever? The new Klipsch T5 IIs are sposed to be good though and have patented oval tips that might work for you

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Any good budget options for wireless earbuds? Like less than $150 CAD($120 USD)? I've had Anker Soundbud Slims forever but the wires are clearly separating as I only get spotty audio from the right ear. I'm considering Airpods Pro but I'm not sure I can drop $250/CAD right away on something I'll probably lose.

https://www.costco.ca/klipsch-t5-true-wireless-bluetooth-earphones%2c-black.product.100516212.html

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up some cheap turtle beach poo poo when I started playing BRs with friends but the creakiness in the things made me upgrade to the Steelseries Arctis 3 and its great. I got the bluetooth version as well so say you can be connected to your PC/console and also your phone so if a call comes in you can take it or listen to music or whatever. I got a big fuckin OJ Simpson head and they are just comfortable for any length of time and never feel heavy. Cant recommend em enough.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

They're wired for gaming, bluetooth is just for adding the phone connection at the same time, and its nice being able to unplug them all together and take them on the go for just phone usage when I want to.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

But be weary the BLONs cable is weak. Gf just pulled it right apart a while back. Cheap to get replacement cables in the states, I had to order from ali express in Canada because for some reason they're like 4x as much on amazon canada.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So, I'm a big Klipsch guy and I ended up going with a pair of their T5 True Wireless buds, got em discounted on Amazon last October. Sound great, but bluetooth wasn't reliable at all, which I initially attributed to them but I think it was my stupid Galaxy phone (had a lot of trouble in my car as well but that seems to be gone now so system updates? I dunno). Anyway, they probably saw less than a couple hours use. I brought them to work to use eventually as I dont really have much use for headphones, especially buds, at home, but one just wouldn't come on at all. Did all the troubleshooting. Just dead. Contacted Klipsch, not much help, eventually pointed me towards a repair center but I'd have to mail them myself and gently caress that if they're still under warranty.

Finally ended up getting in touch with Gentec who is their distributor in Canada. Emailed first, nothing, so I called and spoke to a guy who seemed like he was gonna help me out. Eventually got an email back days later from my initial request that wasn't helpful at all. Waited almost 2 weeks and reached out to the guy I spoke to on the phone again, and he affirmed that the request had gone in for fulfillment for a replacement. I dont even remember giving them the serial number or anything like that, just the amazon order info and description of my issue.

Today in the mail I received the new T5 II set, which currently on amazon are going for over double what I paid for the old ones, and even that was paid for with User Interview survey money. If you pay good money for something and you have trouble while that poo poo is under warranty, dont give up until you get satisfaction!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Impressions? My first gen set have garbage call (mic) quality - thinking of upgrading

I made a couple calls that were fine. Out of box, audio requires some adjustment though listening to music, this is on a S20 using Poweramp as the player, all set at default.

I'm a bit neurotic about charging and I dont usually leave stuff plugged in longer than it has to be, but I forgot myself and left the case plugged in yesterday. When I opened it up it only had 2/3 bars on the charge indicator, and after unplugging it and plugging it back in it began to charge the last section. Weird. Does it have some kinda anti-overcharge thing built in? I still have to play around with the head gesture controls as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

My decade old Steelseries headset finally bought the farm so I need a new headset for my PC

Budget - ~65 bucks but if it's something that'll be really good I could bounce to ~80
Source - PC speakers via amp jack, but I can do USB or the jack directly on my tower if need be
Isolation Requirements - Not really
Preferred Type of Headphone - As long as it's comfortable for long use (like, 6+ hours sometimes)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Something that'll sound okay for videogames and watching movies with friends on Discord, mostly.
Past Headphones - Steelseries of... some kind, it's been so long I can't actually remember the model name or find my purchase info. I think they were the sort that had cups which sat on your ears. They were durable to say the least, which was nice, but could get uncomfortable after a while.

Any suggestions? Buying off Amazon preferred since I can leech off a family member's Prime, but buying direct from retailer is okay too if need be.

Get the Artcis 3 bluetooth. I love mine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Came here to ask for a recommendation the other night after wife complained that the Blons I gave her weren't working correctly anymore (only one side works, she's very careless about headphones, wearing them to bed/wrapped up in blanket on the couch etc). Forgetting that the cable is easily replaced, she just ordered another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does Sony release firmware updates for those? I guess that counts as generic advice. Gotta be something interfering with them, or with the phone itself while in the house.