Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I don't know a whole lot about audio stuff but I was gifted a pair of AKG K701s a couple of years back and have been using them with a Fiio amp with no complaints on the sound or comfort. Unfortunately the plastic on each side of the headband has snapped making the fit uncomfortable so I'm looking into a new pair. I would like an open pair of very comfortable pair of headphones (6-8+ hour days are not uncommon) with good sound quality and a price ceiling of $250 but I would be happy to go lower if there is a great cheaper value pair. Would a Sennheiser be a good fit for me? I tried the ATH-M50 but I feel like my ears are too large for those and I found them uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Also I'm looking for a pair of comfortable durable earbuds that I can use on the go while walking around on the streets or exercising. I don't want a pair of IEMs since I want to be able to hear things going on around me. Something $100 or lower would be great. A friend recommended the Yuin PK2s but I'm curious to what the headphone gurus at SA think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Budget - $~250. Lower is fine
Source - PC with FiiO e7+e9.
Isolation Requirements - N/A
Preferred Type of Headphone - full sized open for sure, over ear preferred but on ear is fine too as long as they're comfortable
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not really sure but I had a pair of AKG K701s for a couple of years and had no complaints. My ear is probably not good enough to hear huge differences anyway. I listen to classical/jazz primarily and my SO likes pop.
Past Headphones - AKG K701s. Was very happy with them until they broke. In the interim I've tried Grado s80s and ATH-M50s but both proved uncomfortable after a couple of hours.

I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser 558 or 598 but open to others. Comfort is most important. I wear these things for hours so I'm willing to spend extra if the gain is significant.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 26, 2014

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

My Yuin PK2s met their unfortunate end in a washing machine yesterday so I figured I'd ask for recommendations for a replacement.

I want to be able to hear what's going on around me so I think that rules out IEMs. Budget is up to $100 but something in the $40-60 range would be preferable. Mic and volume up/down buttons would be nice but not a total necessity. These will be primarily used to listen to podcasts and pop.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Midorka posted:

Even in 2014 you're not going to find many earbuds other than Yuin.

That's a shame. No earbud offerings from the big companies are any good? Eg. AKG, Sennheiser, etc

Is there a big difference between the Yuin PK3 and PK2? Or even the PK1?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

redeyes posted:

Go Chinese! http://penonaudio.com/DONSCORPIO-Dolphin

I'm being dead serious that the reviews I have seen rate these way the hell up there. Far far passed the pair you linked.

Any gems in their earbud department? I see Yuin PKs in there and OKs which I've never heard of among a host of others.

Re: My original post

Virtue posted:

My Yuin PK2s met their unfortunate end in a washing machine yesterday so I figured I'd ask for recommendations for a replacement.

I want to be able to hear what's going on around me so I think that rules out IEMs. Budget is up to $100 but something in the $40-60 range would be preferable. Mic and volume up/down buttons would be nice but not a total necessity. These will be primarily used to listen to podcasts and pop.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Midorka posted:

I'd avoid HiSound, they have poo poo QC and just as bad customer service. HiFiMan has bad customer service as well. Sunrise had a huge hit IEM a few years ago, but has been unheard of otherwise in the audio world. I've heard the Senns are good, but discontinued, so any warranty will likely not have any help.

I still think Yuin is your best bet if you want quality. If you want cheap/durable JVC Gummy's will handle abuse.

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards the Yuin OK3s since it's not crazy expensive and at a similar price point to the PK2s but I'll likely google around for some reviews before pulling the trigger.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I received a new pair of Sennheiser Urbanite headphones in black, but I have no use for them. They go for $200, so I thought to offer them up to the thread for $100 + shipping before dealing with Ebay.

How's the sound leakage on these? I've been looking for a pair to use in the office.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I have a bit of a weird recommendation request. I've been using a pair of steelseries flux IEMs at work but the noise that it makes when I move my head and bump the cables is really distracting. Is there another pair of IEMs that handle motion a bit better? Preferably in the same price range because they're just being used with my phone (no amp) so I don't think it's worth getting something fancy. Would bluetooth be a good option?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It's called microphoning, and it is the bane of any IEM. Unfortunately, it is pretty much inescapable because of how they physically couple directly to your ears. Monitors with softer wires are a tiny bit less susceptible, but it's not a huge difference.

You can try clipping the wires to your shirt, so you have a nice curve or even loop of wire between the clip and the earplug itself, that usually helps a bit.

E: A set of bluetooth IEMs would also be a good solution.

Sounds like Bluetooth might be the way to go. What are the current goon approved pairs?

Bluetooth headphones or headphones in general might be an ok option as well but I work in an open cubical and get the feeling that headphones will appear very unprofessional.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 27, 2015

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I'm looking for a pair of durable IEMs I can jam in my pocket and not worry about them breaking. Good isolation is important since I'm using these for my commute. I'm a fan of the comply foam tips so something compatible with those might be an option.

Budget - max of ~$150 but negotiable
Source - iphone so mic and buttons are a plus
Isolation Requirements - good to great
Preferred Type of Headphone - iem
Past Headphones - sennheiser hd598, steelseries flux iems that have started to fail, a cheap pair of jvc something with comply tips
Preferred Music - podcasts, pop, classical.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 18, 2015

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

grack posted:

You can have the best built IEMs in the world and you'll break them by shoving them in your pockets. Just get a damned case.

Fair enough. Updated my recommendation request to remove the durability requirement. I tried a pair of ety kids but the tips didn't fit in my ears at all and as a result the isolation was terrible.

Virtue posted:

Good isolation is important since I'm using these for my commute. I'm a fan of the comply foam tips so something compatible with those might be an option but if possible I'd like something with a bit more isolation.

Budget - max of ~$150 but negotiable
Source - iphone so mic and buttons are a plus
Isolation Requirements - good to great
Preferred Type of Headphone - iem
Past Headphones - sennheiser hd598, steelseries flux iems that have started to fail, a cheap pair of jvc something with comply tips, ety kids (Tips didn't fit at all)
Preferred Music - podcasts, pop, classical.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Okay the AKG Y50 was out of stock when I went to mediamarkt yesterday, now I'm buying online I've expanded my search. Looks like I'm choosing between the ATH-M50X and the Sennheiser HD598. Portability was supposed to be the draw because I ride my bike everywhere and only have a small backpack, but the ATH-M50X isnt so small that I could easily put it in my bag anyway, so I'll probably just keep them around my neck when I'm not wearing them and don't have somewhere to put them. Can anybody confirm that the sound quality and comfort of the HD598 is worth the size and extra 30 euros? Currently leaning towards those, especially as I want to use them at home for music and movies as well as listening to music while im at work or riding my bike

The HD598 is pretty big...I wouldn't consider it portable. It is also open and leaks a ton of sound. Then again I wouldn't consider the ATH-M50X portable either.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

For reference I have ATH-AD700s and I'd consider taking them on the bike and to work if they didn't slip so much and if the jack weren't half broken (so any movement loses me my right ear). I don't mind the size so much, I'm happy to wear them around my neck when they're not on, they just need to be secure while I ride.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider the best sub-$200 portable headphones?

I'm more of an IEM guy on-the-go so I only own one pair of headphones I would consider portable: a pair of AKG Q460s. The cord is dying so I've been eyeing a pair of Momentums because I like the style even though they're a bit larger than I would like. A bit out of my impulse-buy price range though.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 25, 2015

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Disclaimer: really stupid question incoming. My HD 598s have a big plug at the end that's made to go into some special kind of audio jack. It came with a converter to go from the big plug to the little one that you see on smartphones and such but I lost mine. What should I search for on Amazon to get the right part? I did a little searching myself but there were a ton of different options and I didn't want to buy the wrong thing.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Croc Monster posted:

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JGWY2Y

because

solid hunk-o-metal converters put waaaaaaay too much stress on the phone jack and are very unweildly.

Constellation I posted:

You can also just buy a new cable entirely since the original cable is super long if you're using a phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KAKBHKM/

Good advice. I'll probably go with one of these. It's not for a phone though. My FiiO E7/E9 died recently and I was going to replace it with an Asus Xonar U7 but from the pictures it looks like it only has the tiny hole and not the big one.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Any IEM recommendations with a lot of bass in the $50-150 (flexible) range?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Picked up a pair of Xiaomi hybrids off amazon on a whim and had a chance to try them today.

Wow bass. It almost drowns out the other frequencies. I guess this is what a V shaped frequency response sounds like? With the SE215s I have to focus a bit to hear only the bass line but with the hybrids it's like I'm being punched in the head. I don't think they'll replace my SE215 for general use but I'm going to play around with them a bit more and see what genres they sound best with.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 5, 2016

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

Well, I'm back with the MicroX Headset, and...it seems decent. There seems to be the slightest bit of barely audible static, however, when I plug it into my Computer; and some more static when I plug in the mic. If that's normal...then is there any way of getting rid of the static?

I, uh...didn't think to mention this, but I actually have a part in an Audio Drama I'm doing. I'm hoping to not have static in there, so if that's just a part of the headset I'm using, is there any way of getting rid of it?

Are you sure it isn't just static buildup from the pc?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Fionordequester posted:

I'm not sure. How would I be able to tell?

Plug it into something else like a phone?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have a recommendation for a shure se215 cable that's shorter than the stock one? iPhone compatible controls would be a plus but by no means necessary

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I hope this is the right thread. My PC audio is really staticky so I'm in the market for a USB dac. Needs to have a dial to adjust the volume and bonus points for both a 3.5mm output and a 1/4inch(?) one for my small speaker and headphones (not necessary since I assume I can use a splitter of some kind).

Edit: Changed input to output.

Previously I used a FiiO E9/7 combo. The 7 died so I just used the E9 as a volume knob for my pc which works alright but the constant loud static is really starting to bug me.

My headphones are HD598s.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 25, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is the Schiit stack all it's hyped up to be? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Micca Origen+ to power my small PC speakers and HD598s but I could be convinced to spring for the stack.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

SourKraut posted:

FYI - Bose's eBay store has Bose-refurbished QC35's for $260 right now.

Is this a good deal? I'm sorta in the market for a decent pair of noise cancelling cans for flights but it's a low priority right now.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have experience with the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling Closed-Back Headphones? Debating picking a noise cancelling pair and was waiting for a bose sale but these are like a third of the price.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Looking for a recommendation for small earbuds for gym (running) use

Budget - <$50 ideally but flexible
Source - wireless from iphone
Isolation Requirements - some
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM/earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - bass heavy
Past Headphones - airpods were too big so I was thinking maybe something that uses comply foam tips? Never tried those in gym conditions though
Preferred Music - pop/rock

Some googling recommended skullcandy ink'd wireless but I was leaning towards something that goes around the ear.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anime_Otaku posted:

Might be too expensive for Virtue but I got a pair of Plantronics Backbeat Fit Bluetooth headphones for the gym but they’re made mostly of what looks like silicon except for the buttons that are on either side of the ear, the ones I have also have the ability to take phone calls if that helps.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronic...762KDKZEVS3JH4N

Are there multiple sizes of the buds or are they compatible with comply foam tips? The size thing + wireless are the two biggest concerns for me.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

This probably is the wrong thread but yall might have the answer anyway. I recently purchased a Micca OriGen G2 for my desktop and notice the default sampling rate is 48kHz 16bit but I can mess with in the windows sound settings. Assuming most of my audio is coming off youtube or itunes, what settings should I be using? The max in the manual says 24 bit 192kHz.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 4, 2018

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Howdy ya'll. I was wondering if anyone had an experience with bedphones or similar headphones designed to be worn in bed, specifically for a side sleeper (My ear is always down pressed against my pillow).

I know quality probably isn't the best, but that is a tradeoff I am willing to take, as long as it is comfortable.

I feel like I’ve seen an infomercial for this on late night tv. It looked like a sweat headband.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is it likely the Bose QC35s go on sale between now and say May? Want a pair for a trip coming up but retail is steep and the ebay refurb bose store is all out.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Really the only ones I ever see go on sale are the QC25s. I can't remember the last time I saw the 35s go on sale.

Yeah, I figured. I see some Q35 refurbs on ebay for 250 but maybe it's better to just splurge for a new one. QC25s probably won't work since not wireless. Guess I'll setup some price alerts on the QC35s and the sony 1000xM2 and see if I get lucky.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

If you fly that much I’d narrow it down to the bose or Sony with ANC immediately. I’m going to pickup a pair soon specifically for that use case.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I know this has been beaten to death here but I really need to ask again. I’m going to be doing quite a lot of traveling here the rest of year and I really need some great and comfortable headphones with ANC.

I guess my choices really come down to the Boss QC35s and some Sony pair? I haven’t done a whole lot of research but I’d like some that are BT but also can be hooked up to 3.5mm (for the iPad and switch).

Would the Bose be the best choice? I don’t mind spending the $350 since I’m going to be putting a poo poo load of hours on them.

I’ve done a lot of research regarding this recently and ended up deciding on the Bose. It seems like the bose is the most comfortable but the Sony’s win out in anc and sound quality. Audition a pair if you can.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have experience with the beats x? I love my AirPods but the lack of isolation means during my commute I have to choose between not hearing anything and blowing my eardrums out. Sound quality isn’t a dealbreaker.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Thanks to both of you. I pulled the trigger on a pair.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’m literally lolling at their carrying case

I'm really curious to see how the reviews pan out because this looks like a pos.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I mean the thing doesn't even fold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Haven't been able to get in touch with Sennheiser and my HD598 earpads are in a bad way. I see a couple offbrands on amazon -- can anyone recommend one in particular?