Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hey guys, I have two questions:

1) Where can I buy a headphone jack that has screw terminals, rather than soldering? My at-home headphones jack is gone and I'd rather not solder. I'm in Australia, which makes this trickier.
2) My at-work headphones are currently being driven by onboard/motherboard sound. Most audio I listen to comes from Spotify Premium, soundcloud, pocketcasts, the likes. Would there be any benefit to purchasing a DAC/Headphone amp for this environment? I can't hear any particular distortion, but there is a very, very faint hum.

Both sets are Audio Technica M-50s, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Headsets with mics included (particularly gamer stuff) are typically garbage. You'e better off finding an inexpensive lapel mic and and whatever closed sennheisers you can afford with that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Man, I grabbed a pair of those cheap Anker 'soundbuds slim' bluethooth earbuds and for the price I'm super impressed. Decent sound, big battery, magnetised buds. I'm really pleased.

Question : the 'leather' on the band of my M50 headset is kinda peeling off the band - what's the best way to repair / replace this material?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Potentially dumb question:

I leave my m50s plugged into the front of my soundcard, so they're always getting signal, even if I'm listening through my monitors. Would this damage/wear them out over time? Should I unplug 'em?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

they're below what i'd call 'normal' so yeah great news! thanks

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The ebay knockoff earpads I put on my pair of M50s weren't working well, the pressure wasn't enough and was cauing pain on my ears as the headset dragged down. Not great for how much I wear the dang things.

Ordered some legit Brainwavz HM5s, hoping it'll mitigate the problem. Hoping that the comfort will be better. Thinking now, I hope it's not that the band is stretched. I have a pretty decent sized head and they are still kinda droopy.

I love the M50s but I don't want to rush out and buy another pair if I can avoid it. I wish they'd do an M50 with a better band. The pleather cracks and looks gross really quickly. I've done the paracord wrap thing and it's still not amazing looking.

edit: snapped my m50s arm plastic trying to bend the band back into shape. guess i'm off to go buy my third pair of m50s. they're on deep sale nearby, gladly

well why not fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 18, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

urban outfitters has an exclusive purple color variant of the Bluetooth version, which is p. good if you like both M50x’s and Bluetooth and also you’re a bad enough goon to rock shiny purple Audio Technicas.

I too would like to know of good band replacements as mine have gone all flaky and gross as well.

Sadly no Urban Outfitters here, and i am not a bad enough goon to rock shiny purple ATs.

The band will surely get gross on my new set, but I'm seeing weird zippered sleeves on amazon and ali :

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Headband-Compatible-Technica-Headphones/dp/B07K85H6X9

They're weird but probably better than the fix I'd used - shucking some paracord and using the sleeve as a wrap for the headband.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

oops accidentally bought the m50xBT. i have a port-less phone so it's "justified". i wear headphones between 1 - 10 hours a day and get them back on tax at least!

this fresh pair makes me realise how hosed up my old ones were. these are super comfortable and easy to wear. dunno why i was ok suffering the old ones.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Something has changed, my brand new m50xbt press on my ear in a really uncomfortable way. I really like the headphones and my last two pairs didn't do this at all. I have small ears but it just starts to hurt after a while. I used to wear m50s all day. I don't understand what's going on. I think wearing a too-tight mask has affected my ears or something. I'm struggling to explain the discomfort.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Returned the m50xBT set, they were too uncomfortable for me to keep. I'm tossing up between DT770 Pro and the MDR-7506. Half the time I'll be in a quiet-ish office listening to music/podcasts, the other half of the time i'll be making music or gaming at a noisy home.

I tried on a few of the Sony WH series wireless headphones and they were super comfortable - do the MDR set feel anything like that? If they feel similar I'd go that route.

It's a bit tricky for me to make it to an actual headphone/music store at the moment.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ordered the 770s from somewhere that had a 21 day return policy. If they don’t suit me I’ll return and get the ridiculously comfy Sony for general use and save for a dedicated music production set. I’m sure a lot of great music has been made on far far worse headphones.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'll be years before i can setup nearfields so for now it's headphones or bust. We'll see how the mixes come out with these. I think I did OK with m50s so i'm sure i can adjust.

also i make kinda heavy electronic music, so mix clarity is not the absolute of highest high priority.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah that’s the current idea. If they’re comfortable enough I’ll likely wear them at minimum 2h a day and as many as like ... 12. Maybe.

I’m pretty used the car test at this point. Haven’t had my monitors setup since ... late 2017. Just not viable right now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

First impression of the 770s is - they sound great, better than m50s and so far no discomfort. Now, to see how I go transporting these things between home & office. Folding the m50s was useful. Can't wait to get into some production with these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

njsykora posted:

iPods too, they're surprisingly easy to repair (the Classics at least, everything else is on full Apple lockdown) and stupidly moddable.

https://twitter.com/NanoRaptor/status/1360504094679470081/photo/1