Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

Hello, headphone thread.

I've owned (and have not necessarily been proud of):
Sony MDR-V6 (twice) - my favorite for bass so far,
Sony MDR-7506 - my favorite for techno/electronic reproduction so far,
Sennheiser 555 - my favorite for soundstage so far,
Tritton 720+ - my favorite for directionality so far,
Bose QC15 - this wins not a single category.

I'm planning on an upgrade from the $150 range to let's say the $300/$350 range.

Really the only thing I want is a jaw-dropping step-up in audio quality. A nice soundstage/tight (but not necessarily powerful) bass are the only qualities I value the most.

So far I've been eying the Senn HD6*0s, Stax SR-003, AKG Q701s - I really don't even know how these four headphones compare to each other.

My main sources are my PC with an i5 motherboard/GeForce sound, and my HTC One. I have no qualms stacking the cost of an amp to drive whatever headphones fit the bill the best.
The V-Moda Crossfade M-100 might be right up your alley, around $270 on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I listen to a V0 encoded music coverage a dizzying array of genres: classical (Bach, Beethoven), overproduced pop, female vocalists (Adele, Norah Jones), and lots of electronic music (mostly progressive house).

I've had Sennheiser 580's for a long time and they're great, but I'd like to have a little more bass, especially for my electronic music. It might help to get an amp, but using a friend's Asus Xonar, they didn't seem THAT different from my onboard audio; when I A/B'ed my 580's with Sennheiser 650's on the Xonar, the 650's had that little more bass I was looking for, but they weren't $500 better.

I'm wondering whether there'd be any value to getting Sony MDR 7506's, especially since they're $77 on Amazon, which is basically their all time low price. Should I spend the $77 on a headphone amp? Or should I just mess with equalizer settings since the lack of bass is most notable with electronic music where fidelity is less of a concern?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How awful are the MEElectronics M9 and Ultimate Ears 200? I would never say they compare to my Sennheiser HD 580, but they sound okay to me for $25 earphones. I ask because one of the channels on my M9 died and I was looking to replace it, but if my ears aren't that discerning, I'll just get whatever $20 crap is in the checkout aisle at Best Buy. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

The UE200 is a piece of utter crap, really harsh and not constructed very well. The MeElec M6 or M9 are better 'phones and it's not particularly close.
Fair enough. Is the M6 or M9 my best option under $25 for earphones to listen to Spotify/Pandora/Youtube at work? The Philips SHE3590 and Monoprice 8320 also seem to be popular.

Alternatively, there's a couple sellers on Amazon selling the Sony MH1 for $20, which might seem like it's a fake, but it's Fulfilled by Amazon so I should have recourse/just return it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 25, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

The Philips sound better than either MeElec (not by a huge margin, mind you) but aren't built nearly as well, and lack the accessory/fit kits of the M6 or M9. All three are quite good headsets for the price, though.

The MH1 sounds incredible, but it is such pain in the rear end to use because of the awful cabling that it's very difficult to recommend without reservations. I don't think there are fakes of the MH1 floating around, as even sets bought from Chinese dropshipping websites have turned out to be authentic.
I'd only be using these at a desk, so it should be easier to tolerate the MH1's cabling. Ordered! Amazon says it'll get here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to a trip report.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

Just a head's up, depending on what you're plugging the headphones in to you might need an OMTP-CTIA adapter, something like this: http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods.php?id=1073
Assuming they ship me the OMTP model, that should still work in a normal headphone jack, right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd only be using these at a desk, so it should be easier to tolerate the MH1's cabling. Ordered! Amazon says it'll get here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to a trip report.
They did ship me the OMTP model, but while they work on my desktop at home, they don't work on my office computer, which is the whole reason I wanted to get them.

The cabling isn't a problem since they go behind the head, and the sound is pretty decent. I don't really want to deal with an adapter, so it looks like I'll either have to pay $40 for the CTIA version on Ebay or get something else. The XBA-1 looks like a good alternative for $32, and the headset version is $4 more. Although I rarely need headset capability, for $4 I might as well get it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

The XBA-1 is a massive step down from the MH1. If it's just your computer headphone jack, you can get a cheap 3.5mm extension cable from Radio Shack and it should work fine.
Good to know. Ironically, it actually works with my iPhone. I've been listening to the iTunes Radio progressive house station and the MH1 sound great. The bass is full and punchy, not bloated. Mids and highs are pretty balance, and soundstage is pretty wide.

No fit issues, and the J cable works for me since I often listen with one ear in. Of course, I may be biased because my only IEM for about 8 years was the Sony EX-51.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 27, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Hey Midorka,

What are your thoughts on the Wirecutter reviews? They've been doing a bunch of headphone reviews lately. What's notable is they've been recommending headphones that I previously had never heard of (i.e., they weren't the typical "go-to" choices). They usually get a bunch of different pairs and have various people try them which I think is interesting.

Anyhow - they just came out with the best sub-$100 review and chose these: Sony XBA-C10IP

I'd never heard of them and also can't find them at some of my normal retail choices (Amazon, B&H etc). What do you think? Heard of them before?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-100-in-ear-headphones/
If you don't want to sift through much data, I guess it's okay, but I find Head-Fi to be a much more reliable source of information.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

drk posted:

Well, yet another pair of cheapish headphones have bit it, so its time to buy something nicer.

Budget $80-150, if they wont break within a year.
Source Mostly a laptop with nothing special integrated audio. I'm not terribly opposed to buying something like a FiiO amp since they seem reasonably well reviewed and well priced. I'd rather spend the money on nicer headphones, though.
Isolation Requirements At least some. I often use them loudly late at night and I'd rather not keep people up.
Preferred Type of Headphone Over ear, closed.
Preferred Tonal Balance Balanced.
Past Headphones Right now, I have Monoprice 8323s. I'm on the third cable, and second major piece breaking, so while they sounded ok they have poor build quality and lasted a hair over a year. Before that I had Sennheiser 201s, which I preferred the sound quality of, but they broke quickly too.
Preferred Music Electronic, Hip Hop, Yacht Rock. Will also be used for a decent amount of movie watching, and a little gaming.

My main concern is durability/build quality. I use headphones at least a couple hours a day, sometimes in bed, and they get moved, plugged/unplugged, etc multiple times a day. I seem to toss at least one pair of headphones in the trash a year due to broken parts or cables. I went through 3 (admittedly cheap) cables this last year alone, so replaceable cables are a huge plus. I am hoping that jumping past the $20-30 price point will get a solid increase in build quality with better sound as well.

Right now I'm considering (based on OPs guide):

-KRK KNS6400 (these seem to have the least downsides of the three)
-Fostex T50RP (some people think these aren't so great without multiple modifications)
-Audio Technica ATH-A700X (apparently non removable cable is a minus, but they seem well reviewed)

Anything major I'm missing? Headphone reviews are a little hard to navigate.
I would normally recommend IEMs for your usage profile (great in bed since there's no headband or anything to get in the way), but since you want circumaurals, maybe the Samson SR850 would be an affordable option? I listen to a lot of EDM myself and considered buying these before getting Sony MH1C's: http://www.amazon.com/SR850-Professional-Studio-Reference-Headphones/dp/B002LBSEQS/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Midorka posted:

Jude, the owner of Head-Fi, has invited me and a few others to participate in a focus group for Monster, specifically the DNA and DNA Pro full-sized headphones. Our feedback, good and bad, will be written directly to the CEO of Monster. I find it incredible that a company as big as Monster actually cares what the users of Head-Fi think of their products. Many people write off Monster, hell the OP even recommends avoiding Monster, but that doesn't mean that Monster doesn't create good products. The Turbine line and the Miles Davis Trumpet headphones are two series of excellent IEMs. I will update when I get the headphones.
If they are overpriced and/or crap, let them know. You must seize the moment when given the opportunity to change things for the better for everyone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Leon Hikari posted:

I've got a set of Senn HD598s currently and I've been thinking about upgrading to a set of HD650s. However, the reviews online about that upgrade path kind of scare me.
Thoughts? I'm running a Schiit Modi as my DAC and a Little Dot MKIII as my amplifier.
FWIW, I A/B'ed my 580's with a friend's 650's when he first got them. The 650's had a little more punch on the low end, a more "modern" sound signature if you want to call it that. Nothing a little EQ probably couldn't fake, but it was the first time I wanted to upgrade.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tactical Lesbian posted:

The DT990 pro 250 ohm are on sale for 150 right now. They're worth literally double that.

at 250 ohms I guarantee you will NEED an amp. I have this coming in the mail now:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CICPMA6/
My friend's Sennheiser HD 650's make me want to upgrade my HD 580's for a little more bass since I listen to a lot of electronic music and soundtracks. Since the 650's are around $400 these days, would the DT990's get me where I want to go?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 18, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DT990 Pro's came in today. I got them from Amazon so I have what basically amounts to a 21-day or so in-home trial.

Initial impressions: fit isn't as comfortable as my HD 580's but that's probably because the band is still a bit stiff. Sound wise, there's definitely more bass punch, which was my motivation for ordering them in the first place, but there's a distinct difference in how the two headphones treat higher frequencies. While listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Summer concerto, Presto movement, the violins have a more muted sound with the DT990's whereas they're, for lack of a better term, screechier with the HD 580's, though not in a bad way. In fact, it practically makes the DT990's sound muddy.

This difference is probably better characterized when talking about female vocals. When listening to Norah Jones' Don't Know Why with the DT990's, it sounds like I'm listening to headphones, whereas with the HD 580's, it sounds like I'm listening to her sing in person. Same thing with Adele's Someone Like You from Live at Royal Albert Hall.

Whether or not you thinking burning in is real, I guess we'll see over the next few weeks. But so far, I'm not entirely sold on the DT990's. I may just be used to the Sennheiser sound, in which case I guess I'll have to hope I can get HD 650's for a decent price at some point.

edit: v Yeah, it's like $6 or 7, which IMO is more than fair for in-home testing.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 20, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

buildmorefarms posted:

I'm looking for recommendations that satisfy the following (admittedly ridiculous) criteria, if such a thing exists!

- IEMs
- mobile-phone "call-answer" remote/microphone like this (for a nexus 5 if that makes a difference!)
- triflange/biflange tips (easily sourced replacements would be a bonus)
- decent enough when driven by a mobile device I guess!
- extra bonus rubbish: a 90-degree jack (so that the excess cable runs parallel to the top of the phone when it's jammed in my pocket as opposed to pointing straight out of the headphone socket and getting crushed over time)

I've been working my way through etymotics and vsonic R02s for the last couple of years, but I'd like to see if there's any way to get decent sound out of some IEMs that also have the call-answering capability.
Easy peasy. Etymotic mc2, designed for used with Android: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/mc2.html

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

DT990 Pro's came in today. I got them from Amazon so I have what basically amounts to a 21-day or so in-home trial.

Initial impressions: fit isn't as comfortable as my HD 580's but that's probably because the band is still a bit stiff. Sound wise, there's definitely more bass punch, which was my motivation for ordering them in the first place, but there's a distinct difference in how the two headphones treat higher frequencies. While listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Summer concerto, Presto movement, the violins have a more muted sound with the DT990's whereas they're, for lack of a better term, screechier with the HD 580's, though not in a bad way. In fact, it practically makes the DT990's sound muddy.

This difference is probably better characterized when talking about female vocals. When listening to Norah Jones' Don't Know Why with the DT990's, it sounds like I'm listening to headphones, whereas with the HD 580's, it sounds like I'm listening to her sing in person. Same thing with Adele's Someone Like You from Live at Royal Albert Hall.

Whether or not you thinking burning in is real, I guess we'll see over the next few weeks. But so far, I'm not entirely sold on the DT990's. I may just be used to the Sennheiser sound, in which case I guess I'll have to hope I can get HD 650's for a decent price at some point.

edit: v Yeah, it's like $6 or 7, which IMO is more than fair for in-home testing.
As a follow-up, I found a guy on Head-Fi who was selling barely used HD 650's for $300, except he wanted check or money order. Ok buddy. :rolleyes:

Lo and behold, the HD 650 was available on Sennheiser's website for $272 shipped this morning but the deal was killed after less than an hour. Got order receipt and confirmation emails. Let's hope it ships! :ohdear:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

n/m

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 28, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone's interested in the Audio-Technica M50, it's going to be an Amazon lightning deal at 3am EST, so 18 hours from now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That Which Squeaks posted:

Considering between the MDR 1Rs and MA900s. I loved my 7506s, but remember them getting uncomfortably hot after using them for a while, so I think I'll go MA900, but was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts.
The 7506 were sweaty because they were closed headphones with pleather earpds. Same for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Skim Milk posted:

So I have the HD650s and a good amp and DAC. Where do I go from here?
Make sure you get FLACs whenever possible?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

seravid posted:

Cable lifters.
Silver Dragon cables.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tactical Lesbian posted:

I have a couple of options for you;

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-HBS-730-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009A5204K/ out and about, driving, office, etc. When you get a call, it vibrates on your collarbone and is generally awesome. I especially like using it in the car, since I drive a manual.

To step up the audio quality for at home, these would do, though I've never listened to them. Good price/reviews though. http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/

also give these a look I guess, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VANOFY/ I just got one today (Amazon for 55usd on sale) and I haven't tested it out much, but am overall impressed by the initial experience.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D73JV6G/ bought this today too
Why are you using headphones while driving? :psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

I would not suggest the S4s for working out, the wiring is quite fragile.

Just browsing the other day. There's a known issue with the LG G2/Nexus 5 where the audio output will distort at or close to maximum volume because the headphone amplifier isn't supplied with enough power, but again, only at or near maximum volume. The output is otherwise extremely clean.

Saw a head-fi'er telling someone to get and use a USB DAC even though the headphones he's using (Quadbeat 2, which were designed to be paired with the G2) should never, ever, ever be run at maximum output from from that phone. Yay telling someone to spend a bunch of money to fix a problem they don't actually have.
Um, all headphones need to be powered through a USB DAC and then a vacuum tube amp. :rolleyes:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Where's the Sennheiser HD 800? :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

alex314 posted:

Thanks for help.
Somehow it never occured to me to do that mod.. I've got a pair of 555 that have broken completely in their usual spot, so now I've got motivation to try and get replacement parts.
If I go with HD650 later would I need amp to really make them shine?
I have HD650's and just use my motherboard's headphone out :black101:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dpbjinc posted:

I'm kind of new to high-end headphones, so if anybody could help out, that would be great. I'm looking for headphones with a natural sound for listening to a wide variety of music, though I prefer electronic music. I'd like open circumaural; I won't be in a noisy environment and don't need isolation. I'm not sure about how amps work with computers, but I won't have a free PCIe slot, so no internal sound cards. My budget is about $200.
You sound like a prim candidate for Sennheiser 598. $190 on Amazon without coupon, 50 ohm impedance so you can user your computer soundcard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hallowed Turban posted:

:siren: My motherfucking headphones have arrived :siren:
Which ones did you get?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shymog posted:

Y'know, the reasoning is lovely. The reviews are stupid. I didn't look at cost and it's probably astronomical. The product doesn't seem that retarded, though, except for what the golden ear magic people feel it's doing for them.
$20/ea or 8 for $120: http://www.musicdirect.com/p-971-cable-elevators.aspx

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beergod posted:

I don't think a single gadget has ever profoundly changed my life so quickly (aside from a smart phone) as my senn 650's. I use them for everything. Such a huge quality of life thing.
What up 650 buddy :hfive:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After 4 months with the HD 650, I can confidently say these are the only full size headphone I'll own for 5 to 10 years.

After 6 months with the Sony MH1c, I'm happy with the sound quality but they leave something to be desired - the flat cables can sometimes be annoying, and microphonics are annoying as usual. Not sure there's a good solution for this though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beergod posted:

My Bose QC15s sound like absolute dogshit now. Basically ruined. Thanks guys. :(
You were a dogshit consumer for buying them in the first place :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

guppy posted:

Thanks, but those are all closed headphones. Im looking specifically for open.
You sound like a good candidate for the Sennheiser HD 518: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Midorka posted:

If you're going to upgrade them do it properly and buy an HD650.
Seconding this. HD 650's will change your life, and you can easily keep them for 10+ years.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That was a mistake from when an internal discount code got leaked. It was invalidated after less than 8 hours.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GoodCleanFun posted:

Thanks for the update. Was just making the point that they can be had for significantly cheaper if you are willing to wait for a decent sale.
I was shopping for HD 650's during the second half of last year, and the best deal I came across was about $400.

(I did manage to snag a pair while the leaked code was still good :dance: )

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Sennheiser HD 650 for $325 after rebate http://slickdeals.net/f/6854254-son...e-free-shipping :siren:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

notZaar posted:

My HD650 came in the mail today and I was pleasantly surprised that my little E10 USB powered amp can drive them just fine. So far I'm not blown away but are solid and much better well built then the HD555 I previously used. Now I just need to find some high quality audio to really test hem out with.
See if you can find a high quality recording of this. I can hear him working the fingerboard :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCicM6i59_I&t=5s

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pudgygiant posted:

I didn't mean the cable it came with is crap so I'm going to spend $200 on a new one, I meant the cable it came with is crap, I'm going to buy something reasonable, I saw this $200 cable, how much horseshit is it.
Take 100% horseshit.

Then add more.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Just got some Sennheiser 650s. Holy poo poo this are amazing. I wasn't going to expect much of a difference moving from some 598s. Reviews are spot on when they say they are "easy to listen to." I wasn't exactly sure what they meant until I noticed that ear fatigue wasn't as big of an issue with the 598. The extra bass with the 650 is what the 598 was lacking, but not overkill in the slightest, I'd still call it tame though, but still very nice. Very glad I got these.
:hfive: I replaced my 580's with 650's and it's the best decision I've ever made wrt headphones, not because there's a huge difference but because the 650's are exactly and everything I want in a full-size headphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Any recommendations for headphone stands that aren't $50 and don't have BRAINWAVZ in gigantic block letters?
http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-42978-Banana-Holder-Nickel/dp/B000G66N2M/