Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I recently grabbed a pair of DT 1990's and an FX Audio DAC-X6. They're my first good headphones and I'm blown away. Is there any way to get sound to default back to my PC speakers when the amp is powered off without having to change default devices every time I want to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I finally tossed the analytic ear pads on my DT 1990's and I have to say I like them quite a bit better. I can't really put my finger on what the differences are, but they're definitely there. This poo poo is crazy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I wouldn’t listen to the 1990’s without the analytic pads, they remove the warmness and damping the balance pads introduce, so they’re super clean and airy.

Yeah, I like them a lot.

I bought an Earstudio ES100 to listen to them at work but it's not quite enough to really push them, so I'm shopping for another set of headphones :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have a pair of DT770 80 ohm headphones on the way. Hopefully my amp can drive them. If not I'll probably grab a different portable amp.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my DT770's and there's a pretty bad rattle from the right driver. That sucks, but they are refurbs so it's probably something stupid like a hair. Gonna have to send them back. Guess I'll probably go new with another pair?

There's obviously going to be differences in build quality between headphones that retail for $600 and ones that retail for $200, but I'm a bit surprised in how cheap these feel when compared to the DT1990's. Quite a bit more loose and flexy.

The Earstudio ES100 pushes these a bit better, still not super great though. I do think I'm going to hang onto it just for the convenience factor and maybe buy something better down the road. It's definitely just the headphones though. It pushes some older Sony earbuds I have really well. I was just hoping it would be able to handle the DT770's a little better than it does.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 15, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I ended up going a different direction after sending the DT770's back and grabbed a pair of Meze 99 Neo's. They're super light and feel pretty well built. They have a ton of bass. They're also super comfortable. Sadly, I can't compare them to the DT770's since I had them out of the box for maybe 10 minutes before they went back in because of the rattle, but most reviews I've seen give the DT770 the edge. For my use case they probably weren't going to work though. The 99 Neo works well straight off my phone and the ES100 does a great job with it too. So far, so good. I plugged them into my desktop amp that I listen to my DT1990's on without adjusting the volume. It was loud :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just plugged in my JDS Atom and OL DAC combo and they're good. I'm sure it's all in my head, but I think it sounds cleaner than the FX Audio DAC-X6 I was previously using.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is the best way to stretch out headphones still the thing where you put them over some books? The clamping force on my DT 1990's is just a bit much and I want to see if I can reduce it a bit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks. Doing my normal CL browsing and I came across a used pair of the bamboo LCD-2's for $600. Provided they're in good shape would that be a pretty good deal?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

5-HT posted:

fazor or pre-fazor is the big question. but yes, it's a good deal, esp. if it has the fazors in it.

I think they're fazor? But I don't really know. The pre-fazor seem to have a slightly different design?

e: going by the cord and the pads, I'm pretty sure they're the fazor ones.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 5, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Going to try and look at those lcd-2's. Owner says that they are the fazor v2 and they've barely used them. One question I can't find a solid answer on is how prevalent the driver failures are. Is it just an echo chamber issue or something to actually be concerned about? Owner says they're about 4 years old so they'd be out of the warranty period.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

5-HT posted:

i'd grab them if you could. lcd-2 w/ fazor is a surprisingly neutral can. and Audeze is really good about honoring stuff outside of warranty periods, exceptionally well known for that in fact. driver failures are a mixed bag because there aren't any good #'s on them, but I know that it was more common in older models before they streamlined their manufacturing processes. not as bad as hifiman used to be, but still pretty poor compared to industry standards at the time.

If they're in good shape I'll probably grab them. Worst case I resell them. I'm hoping I can knock off another $25-50 but will have no issue paying their asking price as it's lower than pretty much anything I've seen listed on Ebay. The only thing even close I've seen is this pair.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Bought the LCD-2's. They're immaculate. I'll try and get some pics up at some point!

e: I'm gonna say they're much more relaxed than the DT 1990's. The difference in treble between the two is immediately noticeable.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 6, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

JebanyPedal posted:

I want to get a carrying case for my LCD-Xs but they are enormous and I'm hesitant about ordering something and them not fitting. I guess I could just get the Audeze case.

I assume it's the same one that came with mine and that thing is loving huge. Like the size of a 6 pack cooler huge.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You can also buy refurb DT 770's on Amazon at a decent price that have a full warranty. I bought a pair but the right driver had a really bad rattle and I switched them out for the Meze 99 Neo.

They have both the 80 and 250 ohm version

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

5-HT posted:

on another note these have been dropped to $950. pricing them to move.

Too bad I just bought those LCD-2's.

Is there any way to make the headband more comfortable without upgrading to the newer suspension style?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

5-HT posted:

not really, i've tried the carbon fiber headband btw. it's stupid stupid light. if I was going to keep and upgrade my lcd-x i'd definitely opt for it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale on this. Provided it goes on sale of course.

DancingShade posted:

The only alternative I can think of are trying some Dekoni "headphone nuggets"

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-nuggets-headphone-headband-pressure-relief-pads-4-pack/

I haven't tried them myself but the idea seems pretty sound. Leave a small gap in the middle Sennheiser HD650 headband foam style and see how it goes?

Much cheaper than buying the Audeze suspension headband. Worst case you'll have to buy one anyway.

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at those.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bodyholes posted:

Still on the lookout for a closed headphone though. Something warm-ish, preferrably easy enough to drive that my V20 could run it.
But... no less comfortable than my CB-1s. Any suggestions?

Preferably below $500.

Take a look at the Meze 99 classic or neo. I've seen them described as warm. I have the 99 neo and listen to them at work and like them. They're very comfortable but I also only wear them for 30-45 minutes at a time on breaks. I run them off my ES100 but I'm pretty sure my Pixel got them to an acceptable volume the one time I tried that. I'll plug them straight into it tomorrow at some point to see what I think.

e: my pixel xl seems to get them loud enough to listen to.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 17, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

We'll, there's the EL DAC, but it'll set you back $250.

The OL DAC can be had with usb/optical inputs for quite a bit less as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Doesn't really match the design of the Atom, though.

It doesn't but it's not all that bad. It's the combo I'm running right now.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ChazTurbo posted:

I'm seeing USB only on the vendor site. Atom amp is back ordered until around mid March and I'm getting antsy. Wanna know how these fostex sound with juice.

It's in a drop down menu.

Not the best match but could be much, much worse.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'll throw out a recommendation for the Meze 99 Neo's again. Check out some reviews, I like mine for listening at work. You can get them for $200 on Amazon at least.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ChazTurbo posted:

They look nice. What kind of sound profile do they have?

I'm fairly new to nice headphones so I have no idea. I can't disagree with any of the stuff I've seen on reviews of them though. They sound good, have decent bass, are light and well built and have been very comfortable for me. If you get them off Amazon and don't like them you can always send them back!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I just got a Radstone ES100 (earstudio 100) bluetooth amp. The thing totally rocks, has better sound quality (by far)than my LG Quad omg dac whatever. 12 hours roughly battery life. Android app. DSP that is good and useful and balanced output. $100 bux is totally worth it imo.

Yeah, I've had one for a while now and like it. It doesn't handle high impedance stuff all that well but runs my 99 Neo's without any issues at all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Thats surprising what with the 2x voltage mode. Can output like 6w. High impedance doesn't mean tons of power fyi. Not harder to drive but require the amp to be designed for it.

My dt1990's get juuuussst loud enough with it maxed out on the 2x mode.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I finally got my Kanas Moondrop Pro's from drop and holy loving bass batman. Seems quite a bit cleaner than what the tin audio t3's put out at first impression.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What are the bassiest higher end over ear headphones?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone here have experience with any of the denon offerings? The 7200 looks like it might fit the bill as well. I'll have to look at the campfire Cascade, I'd never even heard of it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

Planar bass is alright. I owned the he lcd XC but sold them. I owned the el8 but sold those as well. So I guess I am ok with it but prefer dynamic driver for headphone bass, at least up until now.

Waiting on the edition XX to get here to try them out.

I have lcd2 fazors and they're amazing but I'm just looking for something a bit different. I should probably play around with the Meze 99 Neo's I have on my desktop setup as well. I've mainly used those outside the house with an Earstudio ES100 running them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Found a guy selling an essentially new set of Denon AH-D7200's and a used Campfire Cascade. Gonna see if he'll take around a grand for both. If he will, I'm pretty sure it's a good deal so I figure why not?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 23, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The guy I'm talking to no longer has the Campfire Cascade :rip: . After reading a bunch of reviews on it I kind of really want a set. I think I'll probably still grab the D7200 from him but I'm not 100 percent sure on that any more.

e: gonna grab them. The comfort issues I've seen complaints about are a concern but I doubt they're going to be any worse than my LCD-2 in that regard.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 24, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

The Cascade are worth listening to. I brought them to a get together with half a dozen or so non audiophiles and they were all amazed at the clarity and bass. They still mention them once in a while, but they don't want to spend that kind of money on headphones.

I don't think I've seen anything actually negative about them that isn't just someone not liking what they're designed for. I'm going to keep my eyes out for a good used one and might buy new if I haven't found anything in a couple months. New availability seems super limited though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

Yeah I was willing to buy new for a few months, then got over it, BUT even being on the waiting list (twice) both times I went to the site right after I got the email and they were sold out again. I do not understand why they don't want to make more money.

They just came back in stock but I just can't justify it at this exact moment with the denon on the way.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bodyholes posted:

I liked the sound overall when I heard them. Probably would have a pair now but the earpad size kept me from pulling the trigger. Didn't like how tight a fit they were on the ears.

Yeah, I'd love to try a pair out before I buy but I don't see it happening. They were still in stock yesterday and I'm getting antsy as I wait on the other headphones I ordered that might prevent me from impulsively purchasing them. They're supposed to be here today, let's check that tracking info:

Well, guess those aren't making it to Colorado today :negative:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Well, the USPS has no idea where my Denon's are. The last place they were physically scanned was Atlanta, everything else that shows up on tracking is just where the system expects them to be due to the container they're supposed to be in. Their answer is to be patient and they'll eventually turn up.

In other news, the Campfire Cascades are real good. They're definitely gonna replace my Meze 99 Neo's for travel/work duty.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The left driver on my Cascade has a pretty bad rattle up to 180Hz. How's Campfire's customer support?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Hey, my Denon's finally came in right as I sent the Cascade's back to Campfire for the driver rattle!

Just an absolutely beautiful headphone.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Campfire got my Cascade's today and they're already sending me a new pair :toot:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ddogflex posted:

Anyone tried out the Fiio BTR5? I just got one last night, and I immediately like it better than my ES100. I only ordered it because I lost my ES100, then found it the morning the Fiio was delivered... ANYWAY, poo poo has significantly more headroom than the ES100. I ran my LCD2C off it last night and it was much closer to a desktop amp than the ES100. It's build quality is WAY BETTER also. Hell, I'm liking the sound with my Ikko OH10 better than the ES100 also. It's like everything sounds fuller? IDK, I wasn't expecting a difference, but it feels like more than just the extra power?

I also recently got the BTR5 and like it so far. The build quality alone makes it worth the price over the ES100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My dt1990's can obviously go a little overboard with the treble but the only song where it's too much is the first set of hammer strikes on Maxwell's silver hammer by the Beatles. That poo poo hurts on any volume level.