Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I have a pair of Sony MDR-7506's that I bought in 2001 (not a typo) and they spent a couple years sitting in a drawer. I replaced the ear pads with the Beyerdynamic velour ear pads and they still sound AMAZING. Anybody who has the pleather flaking off should invest the $20, it makes them much more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I thought it was settled years ago that no one could tell the difference in 256k mp3's compared to lossless, and that almost no one could tell from 192k onward?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

chernobyl posted:

I am in need of a good pair of cans. Comfort is paramount. Id like soft velourish pads. I cannot wear things that touch my ears or I get weird skullcrushing headaches within an hour. I tolerate fullsized/Cicumaural very well however, provided they don't vise grip my head.

Budget: I'd like to stay around $150. Can be higher if necessary.
Source: Homebuilt i5 PC
Isolation Requirements: Little. No one will be bothered.
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full sized Cicumaural mandatory.
Preferred Tonal Balance: "balanced" I guess.
Past Headphones: Superlux HD668B, lots of radio shack garbage.
Preferred Music: all over the place. Alternative, electronic, county, piano, and alot of VOIP calls

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-...s=sony+mdr+7506

+

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-...mic+velour+pads

=

Happy ears and head. Someone else will probably have a better, more cost effective solution but this is a great place to start or an excellent 'if all else fails' option.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Consumer Reports is only useful for household appliances.

Yeah they are notoriously bad for electronics. Also, they hate Dyson stuff for whatever reason.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm looking for basically the Bluetooth version of the Sony MDR-7506's. Does such a thing exist?

I've my pair is 18 years old and they sound great still.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks for the advice on MDR7506 replacements. I couldn't decide on what I wanted on the high end so I picked up the Plantronics 500 BT or whatever they are, the best rated gym Bluetooth headphones from Wirecutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm pretty happy with the Plantronics Back beat FIT 500's on first listen. Obviously not as good as the MDR7506's, but surprising quality given the price.