Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone got any suggestions for foam tips that will fit on Meelectronics a161p? I had been using Sennheiser (or were they Shure?) ones but they don't fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are some good in ear options for under $40? Source will be an iPhone.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'll second the Pistons for mobile. I've previously spent 3 times that on IEMs that didn't sound as good as these do. On iOS the play, pause, and hold for Siri button works, but the volume controls do not.

Edit: After testing, the mic works as well.

Any alternatives? I'm not sure my girlfriend will be thrilled at me suggesting a Chinese copy, regardless of how good they are.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I need some recommendations on circumaural headphones in the $350 range. Something on the neutral sound side of things would be good.

If there are any supra-aural recommendations that are worth looking at please mention these too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I finally got my Xiaomi Piston IIs. I have forgotten how wonderful having a soundstage is considering I've been using isolating IEMs for years.

Anyway what are some compatible tips? The supplied ones are junk. Ideally memory foam.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Looks like my Meelectronic A151p are on their way out, got almost two years out of them just mainly gym use. So I need another pair for mainly gym use.

Budget - Would prefer to spend less than $60 USD.
Source - Nexus 5X
Isolation Requirements -As high as possible.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM with headset if possible
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral to V
Past Headphones - Meelectronic A151p, Xiaomi Pistons (still using these for everyday use), Etymotic HF5
Preferred Music - Rock, punk, metal etc.

What are the cheaper Etymotics like? (Like the MC3.) Also I feel like Meelectronics are good but don't have the best build quality so that's a factor.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Looks like my Meelectronic A151p are on their way out, got almost two years out of them just mainly gym use. So I need another pair for mainly gym use.

Budget - Would prefer to spend less than $60 USD.
Source - Nexus 5X
Isolation Requirements -As high as possible.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM with headset if possible
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral to V
Past Headphones - Meelectronic A151p, Xiaomi Pistons (still using these for everyday use), Etymotic HF5
Preferred Music - Rock, punk, metal etc.

What are the cheaper Etymotics like? (Like the MC3.) Also I feel like Meelectronics are good but don't have the best build quality so that's a factor.

Anyone got any options on this?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

Any reason you wouldn't get another set of A151s? Two years of regular gym use is pretty good for just about any set of headphones.

Not really no. Just thought there might be something better out there now. Although I do feel for the price and better isolation Etymotic might be the way to go.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

grack posted:

The MC5s are pretty good headphones, then. Well built and isolation is very good as long as you're comfortable with sticking IEMs that far in to your ears.

Do you, or anyone else, have any experience with current HiFiMan headphones? The RE-400 tick all of these boxes also but I have a bad experience with RE-0s that I had to return 3 times because they kept breaking.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any idea if the 400i works on an Android phone? Looks like the 1 button 400a is marketed for Android.

Any call on the build quality? This is what I'm most concerned about with HiFiMan.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What's the current goon favourite for cheap IEMs? Mine have all died and I need a new pair fast! Under $50, balanced sound (if possible), Android headset and good isolation are important.

Also not HiFiMan as they always loving break.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hmm no reviews anywhere. I'll give them a shot though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How are Bluetooth IEM headphones now? They seem great for use at the gym but looking at Wirecutter seem to be quite expensive and probably don't sound great?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My GranVela Urbanfun IEMs arrived this morning. So far I'm impressed. Medium silicon tips seem best as the supplied foam tips are way too small. They actually give pretty good isolation which I'm not used to with silicon tips.

Be interesting to see how well they last. Thanks for the suggestion.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hi friends, my partner is looking for some headphones.

Budget: ~$100
Type: Full-size supa-aural or circumaural
Typical music: Pop
Source: iPhone 5

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Awesome, thanks. I'll let you guys know if she has nay other questions.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Someone please recommend some Bluetooth IEMs. I'm so loving sick of headphones breaking every 12 months because the cord gets snagged or some poo poo.

I treat them well but do use them at the gym but whenever I buy Chinese headphones (Pistons, Hifiman etc.) They just break. I replaced my HiFiMan IEMs 3 times before they refused to send me another replacement becuase none made their 12 month warranty.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Budget - $200 max
Source - Nexus 5X
Isolation Requirements - As much as possible
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral or close to
Past Headphones - Granvela UrbanFun, Meelectronics A161p, Hifiman etc.
Preferred Music - Punk, Indie, Rock, Podcasts, Metal etc.

I feel like I go through a new pair of headphones every yer to 18 months, which seems high. I do use them almost everyday and at the gym. This is why I'm thinking about going over-ear, thoughts? I feel I'm dropping a lot of money on IEMs all the time.

Would be keen on Bluetooth but it just seems like there aren't any really good options out there yet. What about the Bluetooth dongles you can add to normal headphones?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There are more affordable IEM options that sound just fine:
KZ ATE copper
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y0F6IBG/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A241XYSH0WLI7M
Tenmak Pro - Some people prefer their other models but these are the only ones I've tried. They're similar to the Shure 215SE
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DEHWPMG/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for Over ear - the Sennheiser 598c's are great and even come with a build in mic/media control cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JP436TS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I snagged a pair from an Amazon lightning deal for $99
They fit quite a bit more snugly than the open backed 598's do. So maybe buy them from a place where you can return them if your head is not small.

The ATH M70x are also very excellent headphones. I've had no complaints about them and they've flown all over (and out of) the country with me and managed to survive airport security just fine. Also they sound really good and aren't fatiguing like other headphones are (I'm looking at you Fidelio X2's).

Thanks. Would you say general use and gym use is possible with those over the ear options?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No. The only one that's gonna stay on your head is the Sennheiser but those have velvet pads and are going to create a steamy rain-forest biome in and around your ears.

drat, so it's IEMs again. I see alot of people at the gym with on ear but i hate those.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is wireless audio really hard? Or is it that audiophile purists just don't like it? It still amazes me that wireless options are so limited.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Has anyone tried the Etymotic Kids 3 or 5? I've had Etymotics before and really like them but I'm just worried about these being too quiet given they are designed for kids.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What are Bluetooth receivers like? My Apple dongle is broken after less than a year so I’m thinking about just getting a Bluetooth receiver.

It would also mean my online mic would work right?

What is the battery life like?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Weird question for foam tip users: is there a trick to restoring the foam consistency after washing them? They are way softer and don’t isolate nearly as well after washing in warm soapy water.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any decent Bluetooth headphone dongles? I’m getting annoyed by having to replace my Apple adapter every 6 months because my iPhone 8 doesn’t have a jack and those things have terrible build quality.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

dantheman650 posted:

I don’t know what sort of quality you need but I’ve been using this for two years and it is pretty solid. Looks like there’s a newer model as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yGV.CbM96CQWG

I just found that there is a Witecutter article and your one is their second pick. Their first is the Fiio uBTR which I can get locally for $42 (NZD).

Out of interest what are the options for neutral sounding, good isolation over the ear Bluetooth headphones? I suspect I’m looking at at least $200+ NZD so probably not worth it currently as my Etymotics are still fine (despite the exposed cable).

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My Etymotic ETY IEMs are almost dead and I’m thinking of moving towards closed over headphones that are wireless this time around.

Everyone seems to love the Sony WH-1000XM3, is that the way to go? Assuming they are comfortable.

They are a bit above my price range so I’m keen to hear if there are any other headphones to check out. I’m keen on neutral, detailed sounding if possible.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wheeee posted:

I've only listened to the WH1000XM3 in a store but they were boomy and muddy sounding with too much exaggerated bass. I actually liked the H900 a lot more, though their ANC isn't quite as good.

If you like neutral tuning and Etys by all means try the XM3, but definitely try before you buy.

Yeah after doing more reading I realise they aren’t really very neutral.

Anything else you would recommend trying?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wheeee posted:

I have owned a pair of ATH-DSR7BT for a while now and am torn on whether I'd recommend them; they are significantly better tuned and more detailed than the Sony and Bose Bluetooth headphones I've listened to, but they suffer from a high noise floor resulting in an audible hiss when you have the volume turned up on quiet tracks such as classical or jazz. Aside from that hiss (And the lack of ANC) they sound much better than their competitors imo

Ultimately unless you need ANC a better solution to Bluetooth headphones is a Bluetooth DAC/amp that you can plug wired headphones into, such as the ES100 or BTR3K. Even the best wireless headphones are good for wireless headphones.

While I agree I did get one of those Fiio dongles to do this for my Etys and while convenient in some ways you still have to deal with the wires which is annoying if I’m honest.

Edit: any opinions on the Plantronics Back Beat 2 pro?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 13, 2019

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are the Sony XM4s the new go-to noise cancelling over ears?

Last year I picked up the Sony H900s instead of the XM3s and have regretted it since as they don’t clamp down well enough and are a little heavy so they fall off my head at the gym sometimes. Also the sound profile seems to be a bit irrelevant for noise canceling as you may as well use the EQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any reason to avoid the Sony WF-C500 if I just want a cheap wireless bud?

I already have WH-1000XM4s so grabbing Sony makes things easy as I have the app etc.