Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The upcoming DT-1770 was exactly what I was looking for as an upgrade to my 770s, but the naming is a little bit misleading. It seems to be a Tesla successor, and is priced accordingly, not a DT-770 successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
After seeing the 6XX on Massdrop, I'm leaning towards picking up the HD650 now, since I don't have the patience to wait until December. The question I have is what DAC/Amp would I need for the HD650s if I already have a Sound Blaster Z soundcard. Do I toss out the soundcard and go for a USB dac/amp, or can I combine an amp with the soundcard? My usage is 70% music, 30% gaming, and while I would like virtual surround sound for the handful of Overwatch games I play a week (and probably Battlefront 2 when it launches), I don't exactly need perfect positional audio at the expense of listening to music/watching shows.

Are USB dac/amps like the Creative E5, or G5 worth it? I like the form factor, as my desk area is cluttered enough as it is, and finding room for a Magni/Modi and all of the additional cables is going to be difficult.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If you're paying the money, you might as well get the HD600 and the HD650 and compare them. Amazon is cheap enough and you can just return whichever pair you like least.
Either way you're gonna need an amp. The Fulla 2 is tiny and works reasonably well. It definitely can't crank out sound like it's bigger brothers, but it will get loud-ish. It's insufficient for my liking, but if space is a concern then this is probably your best bet. You could also get something like this https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-mini-amplifier-60-wpc--300-3800

Would the Fulla 2 be better than this?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12008&cs_id=1200801&p_id=11567&seq=1&format=2#specificationsTab

I was also looking at the JDS Labs The Element, since it looks like a Schiit stack in a smaller package, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price premium.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I received my HD650s, and they have mostly been great, but the clamp force is making them quite uncomfortable - to the point where I am considering returning them. Is there something of similar quality, but more comfortable? I am coming from a pair of DT770s, which have been extremely comfortable - to the point where I often forget I am wearing them an hour after I've stopped listening to something. I'd have stuck with the beyerdynamic for the comfort, but the 880 and 990 seem like they would be more of a sidegrade, while the DT1990 is almost double the price of the HD650.

Would the Fidelio X2 be more comfortable than the HD650? I tried to bend back the mettle part of the headband on the HD650, and comfort wise it went from a 2/10 to a 6/10 - so a definite improvement, but not on the level of my 770s (which I would rank as a 9.5/10 om comfort).

edit: If I were prepared to step up in price, would something like the DT1990 or Amiron Home be a good purchase? The HD700 is cheaper, but from what I've read clamps as much if not more than the 650.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 18, 2017

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
I've been having some trouble with my Beyerdynamic Amiron where the sound in the left earcup was, softer, dropping or becoming fuzzy. After testing the headphone audio with my phone instead of Magni/Modi, and swapping the left/right cables, it appears that the the cable is the problem as the left cup played perfectly and the right was messed up when I switched them.

Now my question is are there are any recommended cables that have both 3.5mm L/R and 3.5mm main connection? Are there any recommended brands/sites to look at? The cable I bought on Amazon turned out to have a 2.5mm connection, and I don't see any 2.5mm to 6.35mm adapters.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

DancingShade posted:

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/earphone-cables/products/hm5-replacement-cables (cheap)

Or perhaps

https://periaptcables.com/ (fancier, costs more, make sure to pick the right cable type & termination you want)

Not enough bling?

https://www.mimic-cables.com/collections/sleeved-cables/products/custom-headphone-cable (again, costs more)

They're all going to sound the same so unless you have a burning desire to get something fancy then go cheap.

Those periapt cables look great, and are still far cheaper than the one posted on the beyerdynamic site ($99).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Lazyhound posted:

Rumour mill says new Apple headphones tomorrow, fingers crossed because I have an irrational desire to throw money at new cans.

https://www.apple.com/airpods-max/

$550

I have 1990s, so I'm not going to dismiss them out of hand on price, but it seems to be a QC35 competitor for twice the price.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 8, 2020